Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Modulars are consistently among the most interesting sets to build every year. Maybe not the best but up there. And definitely as a line, they are tops. Technic are cool, but I've never had a "whoa!" moment while building one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
UCS Slave 1 was a good build, and most of the other classic star wars ships were fun as well. The UCS Milfs were not very fun though, particularly the OG one.
I have only built 2 modulars and didn't find either of them (Shopping Mall and Cinema) all that fun.
The Star Wars buildable figures have been fun builds but they are over in like 10 minutes so not really good examples.
The big Ninjago sets were great.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Let's face it, as awesome as Starwars Lego is. It's just not very good. The license is way to limiting for Lego.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I just don’t think you can compare the two because the building techniques and “goals” are so different. With LEGO Star Wars you’re trying to create the most accurate representation of a film vehicle or scene and, while they usually look pretty good, they aren’t always the most fun builds. With Modulars, the build usually revolves around telling little stories that reveal themselves as you progress further into the build. There’s also a lot more build variation with the modulars because you’re not just making one single model like with most Star Wars sets. There’s dozens of builds within each modular and it helps keep the build from being repetitive.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The brick bank has one of the more interesting mini builds. One side is a laundromat washer. The other side is bank deposit boxes. You can push the $$ through to launder the money.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I'm starting to think this batman D2C is not what the leakers are thinking, Vicki Vale minifig just leaked and combined with the other ones it seems more like it's going to be some sort of scene. I'd personally love it to pieces if it was some sort of downtown scene. The sets in that film are so iconic.

Of course, thinking about it more they did release that not good jurassic park D2C just to sucker people into buying it for the minifigs.

Scipiotik fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 23, 2019

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Yeah, in the last year and a half I've fallen in love with the lego city creative expert and similar ilk, and I've built the bank, detective office, 50s diner, and Parisian Restaurant, along with fishing store and both Ninjago city sets. Really it all started like 2 years ago with the Ghostbusters firehouse.

While I have a huge Star Wars collection, what I really loved was the Nexo Knights sets (or as I call them lego 40k) and the Galaxy Squad from a few years ago.

Lego is at their best when they're using their original IP and not licensed.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Waltzing Along posted:

The brick bank has one of the more interesting mini builds. One side is a laundromat washer. The other side is bank deposit boxes. You can push the $$ through to launder the money.

what what? That's pretty cool

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

veni veni veni posted:

I don't buy technic, but 80% of my collection is Star Wars and modulars are 10 times more fun to build. The 3 big non SW sets I own are Ninjago City/Docks and Parisian restaurant. and those 3 sets were more fun to build than my entire, fairly huge SW collection combined.

Modulars are most fun because it’s like watching a real house/building go up (in a much faster time scale) than other builds where it’s like “here’s this nonsensical base frame because of course it has to be this way so we can make it look the way we want on the artifice.”

Modulars are satisfying. Like watching those newfangled domiciles get 3D printed walls.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

tuo posted:

what what? That's pretty cool

There's also a way to go down the chimney to get in the vault. It's neat, like the detectives office having a cookie smuggling passage.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feenix posted:

Modulars are most fun because it’s like watching a real house/building go up (in a much faster time scale) than other builds where it’s like “here’s this nonsensical base frame because of course it has to be this way so we can make it look the way we want on the artifice.”

Modulars are satisfying. Like watching those newfangled domiciles get 3D printed walls.

And every iteration seems to have cooler and cooler techniques. Though I think the Diners overhang/awning/sign was more interesting than anything in the garage. The angled windows/front of the garage was pretty cool.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The small Target set with the coffee stand, 40358, Bean There, Donut That, is down to $7.50 (50% off) on their site (and they’ll price match in store).

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

The_Doctor posted:

The small Target set with the coffee stand, 40358, Bean There, Donut That, is down to $7.50 (50% off) on their site (and they’ll price match in store).

drat, I caved and bought this literally this past weekend.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ineptitude posted:

UCS Slave 1 was a good build, and most of the other classic star wars ships were fun as well. The UCS Milfs were not very fun though, particularly the OG one.
I have only built 2 modulars and didn't find either of them (Shopping Mall and Cinema) all that fun.
The Star Wars buildable figures have been fun builds but they are over in like 10 minutes so not really good examples.
The big Ninjago sets were great.

I do actually enjoy building the Star Wars sets quite a lot, but most of them are more like putting a model together. The modulars are much more joyous to build cause the parts, colors, and build techniques are always changing. Also you are always making little mini builds like furniture or whatever.

I even enjoyed putting UCS MF together but at times it was draining and mostly you are just waiting for that sweet rear end model to take form. Ninjago City on the other hand probably took about the same time as the Falcon (including the docks) and I had a smile on my face the whole time. I was actually a little sad when the build was done. One of these days I'll probably pull it apart and stick it in the closet for a year, just so I can rebuild it again and make it feel sort of new.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

One of these days I'll probably pull it apart and stick it in the closet for a year, just so I can rebuild it again and make it feel sort of new.

I've already done this. 100% disassembled and in numbered zip locks. (I also wanted space to build new things)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Scipiotik posted:

There's also a way to go down the chimney to get in the vault. It's neat, like the detectives office having a cookie smuggling passage.

Okay, I need that set

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The_Doctor posted:

Worth noting that there's a LOT of stuff on target's site that's half off or more in some cases. basically every single lego movie 2 set is half off, for example, barring benny's space squad.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

tuo posted:

Okay, I need that set

I think it is one of the better modulars, but for some reason people didn't seem to like it. It's chock full of interesting stuff. The chandelier is pretty cool, as are the teller windows and much of the 2nd floor. And iirc, the roof decorations on the side. Not sure what that would be called.

Everyone seems to love the Parisian restaurant which looks nice but as a build wasn't in the same league, imo. For modulars, BB, detectives office and diner all stand out to me as the most interesting builds.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Captain Invictus posted:

Worth noting that there's a LOT of stuff on target's site that's half off or more in some cases. basically every single lego movie 2 set is half off, for example, barring benny's space squad.

Sadly no Rexcelsior, either.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
We never got that disco benny, did we

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

70848? Or is there another outfit I’m not thinking of?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Captain Invictus posted:

It’s in the disco friends set with platform boot unikitty and gold instrument metalbeard. Walmart has it at 20% markdown right now.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Decided to start trying to design a SHIP in a CAD program, and I'm already annoyed. I'm either missing how to do things in Stud.io (centering the camera on the selected piece, for example; filtering the piece type by clicking on its category, no piece information coming up when you hover over it or click on it) or they're outright missing, and LDD is missing newer parts. Also discovering that I'm pretty sure I need a pile of pieces to mess with to figure out solutions to tricky problems, but 90% of my Lego is unsorted and I haven't been able to bring myself to start sorting hundreds of pounds.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sort by color.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waltzing Along posted:

That's awesome.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Waltzing Along posted:

Sort by color.

You monster

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Trip report with the Lepin Saturn V launchpad: took 10 days from ordering to arrival at my door. Sat at customs for like two or three days and I already got a bit nervous.

Received the pdf instructions today and have already inspected most parts. Quality seems absolutely fine. I think I'll start building it on the weekend and see if parts are missing.

It's also a whole lot of Not-LEGO

I mean, look at that pile of 16x16 plates

e: I also just tracked down the original MoC to see if I can buy the instructions so the original designer definitely gets his money for them, but they are free.

tuo fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 25, 2019

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Pyroclastic posted:

Decided to start trying to design a SHIP in a CAD program, and I'm already annoyed. I'm either missing how to do things in Stud.io (centering the camera on the selected piece, for example; filtering the piece type by clicking on its category, no piece information coming up when you hover over it or click on it) or they're outright missing, and LDD is missing newer parts. Also discovering that I'm pretty sure I need a pile of pieces to mess with to figure out solutions to tricky problems, but 90% of my Lego is unsorted and I haven't been able to bring myself to start sorting hundreds of pounds.

Professional CAD engineer here, and i have also designed a 72k piece MOC entirely in Stud.IO, with curved walls and other advanced features.

I have tried "all" the Lego CAD software and Stud.IO, despite being very basic and missing a lot of features im used to from e.g. Creo, SolidWorks, Inventor, its still lightyears ahead of the other Lego CAD software. All the things you want to do CAN be done in Stud, there is just a learning curve.

For your specific questions

To center at a specific piece right click on a piece and "Set As Origin" (i assume for camera rotation? Otherwise you can just PAN to the piece with middle mouse button)
For various select modes, in the top left menu there is a small down arrow next to "select", this one lets you pick various select modes. IMO there is no need for this feature so i have never used it myself.

For piece information, if you have selected a piece, in the top right underneat the "color palette" header there is a dropdown menu with a color name. Opening this menu and checking "hide unavailable colors" lets you quickly see which colors is available for a part.
In your parts palette, next to the search box there is a small colored square. Clicking on this lets you select which default color you are building with. In the same menu there is a "hide unavailable colors", this one hides all pieces unavailable for a color in the parts palette. (Its called the same as the one underneath the color palette but works differently) It can take A LOT of time for Stud.IO to hide all the unavailable parts so be patient.
To sum up:
"hide unavailable colors" in Color Palette hides all unavailable colors for a (selected) part
"hide unavailable colors" in Parts Palette hides all unavailable parts for a selected color

Other tips and tricks:
*You can see the price (roughly) for a part by selecting it and going to the color palette drop down menu.
*View->Orientation->Orthogonal (thank me later)
*Use the submodel feature!
*To do difficult connections use the "connect" button
*Use the grid size that looks like a #, higher resolution than that just makes everything jump around too much.
*For prototyping and trying out different designs i have found Stud.IO much faster than real life, with the exception of making curved surfaces out of e.g. hinges.
*Use the customization options of the parts palette liberally! Hide "stupid" parts like bricks without center pins that they stopped making in the 80s, or really expensive pieces like LBG 2x2 turntable (which costs like $30). Make favorite categories or make a new custom palette (right click on a part and "add to palette" -> "new palette"

Once i have more time i could make a Stud.IO effortpost i guess

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 25, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheMadMilkman posted:

70848? Or is there another outfit I’m not thinking of?
aha, thanks! didn't realize that ever came out, thought it got quietly canned or something.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Captain Invictus posted:

aha, thanks! didn't realize that ever came out, thought it got quietly canned or something.

To be fair, it (and the other two sets in the second wave of LM2 sets) weren't released in some markets like New Zealand (where I am) due to poor sales in the first wave. I still want a 70848 but don't want to pay the ridiculous shipping from the Lego site for such a small set so I'm still waiting for a good chance to get a Disco Benny.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Do you like greebles? Boy do I have a build for you!

Pretty clever work on making that colored stripe there.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Does anyone else think the lego trolls line is going to be the biggest money loser in the history of lego? All those custom molds for something no one can possibly want.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Scipiotik posted:

Does anyone else think the lego trolls line is going to be the biggest money loser in the history of lego? All those custom molds for something no one can possibly want.

I think you’re underestimating kids, but also maybe yes.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I think you’re underestimating kids, but also maybe yes.

Perhaps, but I'd think the kids would prefer actual troll things rather than Lego ones.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Scipiotik posted:

Don't forget, they made angry birds Lego.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Cloks posted:

Don't forget, they made angry birds Lego.

I did forget.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

duz posted:

Name checks out

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The big question is what happens when the creator picks it up. When half the pieces fall off, do they all go to the original location or do they just plug them in wherever they fit?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

duz posted:

Oops! All Greebles!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ineptitude posted:

Other tips and tricks:
*You can see the price (roughly) for a part by selecting it and going to the color palette drop down menu.

They finally put prices back in? When I was designing in Stud.io before, it had a cool feature where you could look at the list of pieces you had and the current prices for them. It was great because I could find out what pieces were absurdly expensive and replace them with a cheaper color or piece. Then they took it out and the only option was to upload your part list to brinklink and see prices from there.