Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Amppelix posted:

yeah unlike in later games where you're always the chosen one...???

what's the last pokemon game you've played exactly

Did you not play Sword or Shield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The barrel should be face straight ahead like he's got a pompadour.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

HootTheOwl posted:

It would be Cannor because Dynamax Cannon means Eternatus is a cannon and not a gun.

But then he can’t specialize in gun type

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

HootTheOwl posted:

It would be Cannor because Dynamax Cannon means Eternatus is a cannon and not a gun.

It's not about eternatus, it's about Legendary Gunwolf Zaiero

Funky Valentine posted:

This is how I imagined it yes

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Geostomp posted:

Been saying that for years, but it keeps getting defenders thanks to the return to (a heavily watered down) Kanto and following Pokémon. Twenty years of nostalgia make it untouchable to many despite all the massive flaws.

Oh I was talking about Crystal, not HG/SS. HG and SS were (mostly) fine. They still had the terrible level curve and whatever the gently caress the guy who designed the Safari Zone was on. Seriously that was the dumbest poo poo.

Other than that, nah it's fine. Crystal sucks poo poo now but I would go back and replay HG/SS.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Funky Valentine posted:

As the prophecy foretold

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The Gen 2/ 4 remake level curve is also pretty much fixed by only carrying 4 mons or so, at least through the Elite 4.

A combination of Starter (Typhlosion, naturally :smug: / Ampharos/ Lapras/ maybe a legendary/ Espeon is enough to coast through most of the game.

My original team of Typhlosion, Alakazam, Lapras, Lugia was more than enough to steamroll whatever the Elite 4 throws at you.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the_steve posted:

Did you not play Sword or Shield?
yes? it's the first game since BW where there's any sort of explicit chosen-ness going on and this time it's even the extremely mundane chosen-ness of being chosen by the champion as a contender lol

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
B2W2 was the last time Pokemon games were good without asterisks

XY was fun for the gambling machine and good for what it was, Sun and Moon tried a few new and interesting things and had a great villain, everything else has been pretty dire

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

TheKingofSprings posted:

XY was fun for the gambling machine and good for what it was, Sun and Moon tried a few new and interesting things and had a great villain, everything else has been pretty dire

I loved XY, just less so than B2W2. Sun and Moon fell off for me but Sword and Shield with the DLC was better.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sun and Moon are probably the best pokemon games tbh.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Gen 7 is amazing. Its only fault is having an extremely handhold-y start.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Amppelix posted:

yes? it's the first game since BW where there's any sort of explicit chosen-ness going on and this time it's even the extremely mundane chosen-ness of being chosen by the champion as a contender lol

In sun/moon right at the start you get saved by the local deity and given a gift by it as a blessing to start your journey.

That said, the dude you were initially responding to was off their rocker because crystal had you as the chosen one with suicune so it's there all the way back.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

FoolyCharged posted:

That said, the dude you were initially responding to was off their rocker because crystal had you as the chosen one with suicune so it's there all the way back.
Suicune just didn't want that loser Eusine following it around.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
Crystal's great because there's two dudes whose goals in life are to be chosen ones and you bumble into town and steal both their spots

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Who’s the second dude?

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Who’s the second dude?

Morty's whole thing is training because he wants to be worthy enough to meet Ho-Oh

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

RatHat posted:

There's Calyrex in Crown Tundra but it's only fusing in gameplay mechanics, in universe it's just riding Glastrier/Spectrier. In universe there's actually quite a bit of fusing. Slowpoke+Shellder=Slowbro/Slowking, Mantyke+Remoraid=Mantine, multiple Magnemite=Magneton, a ton of Meltan together make a Melmetal, ect. And those are irreversible unlike Kyurem White/Black and Necrozma Dusk/Dawn forms.

Thing is Calyrex's fusions feel a lot more normal, it just mounts it's steed and rides them like a normal horse. Nothing especially awful about that. And a lot of the other ones here are describing symbiotic relationships between pokemon for their survival. I'm specifically describing parasitic ones like the one between Necrozma and Solgaleo/Lunala or Kyurem and Zekrom/Reshiram. One pokemon is crippled and broken and has to have a healthy one squished into it to function at full capacity. And it looks like poo poo every time with wires and limbs and whatever the gently caress just hanging out the resulting mess. And afterwards they try and pass it off as "OH WELL they're totes friends now so it's not an abomination against nature anymore!" yeah after y'all retconned mega evolutions into a body horror bonanza I ain't buying it gamefreak.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 12, 2021

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Does LGPE count as chosen one stuff when it isekais you into Kanto?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Flopsy posted:

Thing is Calyrex's fusions feel a lot more normal, it just mounts it's steed and rides them like a normal horse. Nothing especially awful about that. And a lot of the other ones here are describing symbiotic relationships between pokemon for their survival. I'm specifically describing parasitic ones like the one between Necrozma and Solgaleo/Lunala or Kyurem and Zekrom/Reshiram. One pokemon is crippled and broken and has to have a healthy one squished into it to function at full capacity. And it looks like poo poo every time with wires and limbs and whatever the gently caress just hanging out the resulting mess. And afterwards they try and pass it off as "OH WELL they're totes friends now so it's not an abomination against nature anymore!" yeah after y'all retconned mega evolutions into a body horror bonanza I ain't buying it gamefreak.

OK, but parasect is adorable and awesome.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Let's not forget the fossil mons of gen 8 which are clearly fusions of... something.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

OK, but parasect is adorable and awesome.

I think what makes Parasect not as rancid in my eyes is because it's based on an actual naturally occurring relationship. Yeah it's not pleasant the Paras gets taken over entirely by the mushroom but there's no human interference in the act and by time it happens the Paras is already mostly brain dead. That's literally just how their life cycle goes and the mushroom even sheds spores on the Paras' eggs. There no person involved facilitating a process where a fully conscious pokemon is literally clumsily stuffed into another. And I'll be real the fossil pokemon of gen 8 kinda make me uncomfy as well....I just don't...really like the implications of trying slap a happy tone on the fact you're forcing one pokemon to act as an unwilling battery of sorts for another. Or a pokemon that was clearly poorly put together through lovely science--reminds me of unethical breeding mills.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

xedo posted:

Let's not forget the fossil mons of gen 8 which are clearly fusions of... something.

God, every time I think about those poor critters I'm so mad at it, fictional or not, it's just such a hideous concept. Gen 8 has a ton of issues, but none that's going to stick around for future games like those suffering abominations who can't even eat or survive outside a pokeball for long. Because someone in the GF team thought it would be such a novel wacky concept.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Flopsy posted:

I think what makes Parasect not as rancid in my eyes is because it's based on an actual naturally occurring relationship. Yeah it's not pleasant the Paras gets taken over entirely by the mushroom but there's no human interference in the act and by time it happens the Paras is already mostly brain dead. That's literally just how their life cycle goes and the mushroom even sheds spores on the Paras' eggs. There no person involved facilitating a process where a fully conscious pokemon is literally clumsily stuffed into another. And I'll be real the fossil pokemon of gen 8 kinda make me uncomfy as well....I just don't...really like the implications of trying slap a happy tone on the fact you're forcing one pokemon to act as an unwilling battery of sorts for another. Or a pokemon that was clearly poorly put together through lovely science--reminds me of unethical breeding mills.

Just you wait until you learn about the primary adolescent pastime in these games!

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I kinda hope they show up in the wild just to raise a shitton of questions that nobody ever needed the answers to.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Saoshyant posted:

God, every time I think about those poor critters I'm so mad at it, fictional or not, it's just such a hideous concept. Gen 8 has a ton of issues, but none that's going to stick around for future games like those suffering abominations who can't even eat or survive outside a pokeball for long. Because someone in the GF team thought it would be such a novel wacky concept.

They own actually.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

They wouldn't be that bad if they were just... not bad looking. But instead they're just mismatched nonsense without any clear design.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that's the point

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

pokemon fusing owns too. trainer spirit fusion ended up being z moves........... :negative:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It's a really bad point. We could have been making those goofy rear end pterodactyls with the trex heads from Jurassic world.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Flopsy posted:

While I love Gen 5 it ...kinda started that really gross trend of making Fusion pokemon a thing. Which is both aesthetically hideous and even in story seems morally horrific? Not mention you take N's legendary at the end of it. Which of loving course he gives up for "story" reasons but it still feels really lovely especially with the whole fusion aspect to it.

sut... da Fuk up.

RatHat posted:

Huh? Crystal had the abysmal Gen 2 level curve

beabt the game EASILY as a child

Silver Falcon posted:

I tried replaying Crystal on the 3DS VC when it was released there and I gave up in disgust by Mahogany Town. It wasn't just the level curve that bugged me. That's only part of the issue and the one people make the most noise about. The real problem I had was every goddamn 'mon I wanted to try using had the most atrocious, godawful learnset. I can't think of specific examples anymore but it just seemed like every 'mon I considered adding to my team learned jack, squat, and poo poo for anything decent until at least lv 40... and thanks to the terrible level curve in that game, you're not hitting that until the very end-game.

Gen 2 was just kinda bad in general.

getting absolutly bodied by a childs jrpg and crying about it online lol

Funky Valentine posted:

I played a bit of 3DS Crystal and was struck by how slow every little thing was.

Resetting the special egg for something both shiny and halfway decent was an ordeal.

shiny + stat freaks deserve punishment

TheKingofSprings posted:

if you are a misery machine

Flopsy posted:

Flopsy posted:

Saoshyant posted:

absolute psycho posting about funnyn monsters in a game. please touch grass.

FoolyCharged posted:

They wouldn't be that bad if they were just... not bad looking. But instead they're just mismatched nonsense without any clear design.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

Just you wait until you learn about the primary adolescent pastime in these games!

Some concepts I just don't especially care for. The ugly designs were the cherry on the poo poo cake for me.

Stux posted:

sut... da Fuk up.

Hey real quick uh...what the ever loving gently caress my guy?

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 12, 2021

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Stux posted:

sut... da Fuk up.

stux no stuxxing

stux no stuxxing

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
stux no stuxxing!!!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Some concepts I just don't especially care for. The ugly designs were the cherry on the poo poo cake for me.

Hey real quick uh...what the ever loving gently caress my guy?

They got offended I was hating on the portrait of them that gamefreak put in the game

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Another Day another stux meltdown about incredibly banal poo poo.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Another Day another stux meltdown about incredibly banal poo poo.

Can...somebody enlighten me to what their deal is? Because...I'm sorry I'm just a little baffled right now?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

He's not the one posting an essay (this time) about how certain pokemon are an abomination to God or whatever

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

oddium posted:

pokemon fusing owns too. trainer spirit fusion ended up being z moves........... :negative:

Still mourning for this tbh.

Also the gen 8 fossils are sick as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The gen 8 fossils are godless abominations, and it's an extremely good bit that the pokedex just shrugs it off wtih "It can't survive with its hosed up body. Weird, must be why they're extinct I guess. This definitely existed in nature."