Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If it's not for a billion dollars then it's not worth being excited about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The best way to adapt the Wheel of Time would be as a stage play because 99.9% of the content of the books is just people sitting around being passive-aggressive at each other.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

The best way to adapt the Wheel of Time would be as a stage play because 99.9% of the content of the books is just people sitting around being passive-aggressive at each other.

70%. The other 30 is Nynaeve tugging on her braid.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
No Randy you're not hired go away

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

esperterra posted:

70%. The other 30 is Nynaeve tugging on her braid.

and the 5% that can be summed up as "male character thinks female character is irrational, female character thinks male character is an idiot"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And then Rand has 3 wives and fucks everything.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rand's wives are all dope as gently caress at least. Man's got good taste.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/982788128355356672?r

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
If I’m the kind of person who gets extremely annoyed by that Coldplay song saying “Achilles and his gold” (the only time Achilles and gold come up at the same time in the Iliad is when he’s turning it down as an exchange for prizes he sees as a warriors honor), how insanely pissed would I get watching the Netflix Troy series?

(If anything, Achilles is most associated with his armor. The whole heel thing is some AD era fanfic garbage)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That Troy show is a cheap BBC production and is rear end. Netflix just has the rights to broadcast it here.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

That Troy show is a cheap BBC production and is rear end. Netflix just has the rights to broadcast it here.

It's not good, but no, it wouldn't have been cheap.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I got bored of Troy really fast.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm glad that Netflix gave Joel McHale The Joel McHale show with Joel McHale (takes deep breath) because I missed The Soup.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

Soooo they just go “nah, we won’t tell a story that has been preserved for thousands of years for some reason, let’s just make a soap opera?”

God drat I would love a proper adaptation of some Greek epics.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

MiddleOne posted:

Boo. The show actually did find its stride past the first couple of episodes.

Yeah, I will never get the weird anger this show drew for daring to have 90s references in a show set in 1996. I believe it could've been tightened up to an eight episode season easily but it rapidly improved from episode 3 onward.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC Netflix has said that they're going to be more willing to drop underperforming shows after just a season, instead of throwing good money after bad like they were doing.

Are there any good netflix shows that didnt perform super well?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

And then Rand has 3 wives and fucks everything.

Not everything. Was there even one gay dude in the Wheel of Time? I'm drawing a total blank.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

precision posted:

Not everything. Was there even one gay dude in the Wheel of Time? I'm drawing a total blank.

Lord Baldhere (one of the Borderland generals, apparently Lan mentions it about him but I didn't find a citation to confirm) and Algarin/Emarin (one of the Black Tower good guys). Otherwise it's just a lot of lesbians and bi women.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aw yeah.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WoT definitely seems like a series that would be helped by an adaptation clearing up some of the dead wood and fixing the massive pacing issues of the later books.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I'm p sure it's canon that literally all women in WoTworld are either secretly lesbians or so hungry for dick it drives them actually insane

it sure does have some things to say about mens and womens

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
In WoT the magic casting (called channeling) is definitely a metaphor for orgasming.

Still, it's a really well crafted world that Jordan describes, the history and stuff was cool as poo poo when I was 15 years old and I kept reading them until it finally finished and I was almost 30. I started rereading a few years ago and got caught up with life but books 1 through 5 were still engaging and fun.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Yeah, the middle books are a slog. Jordan didn't just tell a story he wove a world, and once all the starting threads spread out and everyone has their own plot and side characters and they briefly intersect and then go off on their own things, well, you can get a whole book where it jumps back and forth and each character just goes a few steps. Sanderson had the chore of bringing that whole thing back into a tight ending, but at least that was something to work towards without winding out new side-stories.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It would be a good show if done correctly with a good budget. You can cut out so much of the garbage and bullshit and make it a fun story.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Wheel of Time is really weird because there's a great story with some real progressive ideas for its time which also happens to be mired in some awful sexism politics. If they can update its female characters for modern day and give it a decent budget then it could be something special. It's weird that Amazon's going for that and LotR and the Dark Tower though.

Gaunab posted:

I'm glad that Netflix gave Joel McHale The Joel McHale show with Joel McHale (takes deep breath) because I missed The Soup.

Ah, you mean the Penis McHale show! Yes, it's very good indeed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
So was I the only one who found it wildly inappropriate that Donna kept hanging out at Eric’s basement every time they broke up

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's really weird that everyone just kept going over to the Foreman's house, especially after Eric and Hyde move away.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

It's really weird that everyone just kept going over to the Foreman's house, especially after Eric and Hyde move away.

Also how they all start making GBS threads on Eric once Topher Grace sorta kinda made it in Hollywood making it clear he wouldn't return

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Penis McHale show was pretty good this week

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like they kind of lampshaded that whole "why does everyone keep coming here?" thing when Jackie just kept showing up after she and Kelso broke up even though everyone hated her.

They all had nowhere else to go.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Foremans were the only parents who didn't know what weed smelt like.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yo could someone get the BBC to do a new Count of Monte Cristo adaptation? TIA

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The new Troy show sure has a lot of 'are we the baddies' moments.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Entirely too many things happen to these teenagers in three years

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I really like AP Bio, but I am curious as to how they continue the show for multiple seasons and keep the kids around.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just change it to Bio 101

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

swickles posted:

I really like AP Bio, but I am curious as to how they continue the show for multiple seasons and keep the kids around.

Just have it not run in real time. The kids stick around until they start looking noticeably different, and then a new school year starts and they replace the kids.

Or just roll with the absurdity of the show and have them all end up at Harvard and in the same class, taught by him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If AP Bio finds its groove and gets renewed its probably easy enough to move Jack to a new AP class or have him become their counselor or just have them come to him for advice or something. You could just put them in a class with another teacher (either one of the established ones or a new character) and have Jack interrupt all the time or something. Class only makes up so much of the show. Its workable.

If it goes beyond that and needs to deal with kids graduating to keep a successful show going then that's what you call one of those "good problems."

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Just have it not run in real time. The kids stick around until they start looking noticeably different, and then a new school year starts and they replace the kids.

Or just roll with the absurdity of the show and have them all end up at Harvard and in the same class, taught by him.

Ah, the classic Boy Meets World move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

swickles posted:

What are they gonna do if the show is renewed, most community college degrees are only two year programs