Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Probably good to let it rise a bit anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yesterday I drove past a soccer field that had been completely overrun with wildflowers. I know that everybody needs to stay in as much as possible and avoid large groups and so on. But i really hope a lot of people are taking this opportunity to make super low budget post-apocalyptic movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
A modern post-apocalyptic film would have to include the line around the block for the Krispy Kreme drive-thru.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Gripweed posted:

I know that everybody needs to stay in as much as possible and avoid large groups and so on. But i really hope a lot of people are taking this opportunity to make super low budget post-apocalyptic movies.
They're called stockholders, Gripweed.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
A post apocalyptic tale where toilet paper and jigsaw puzzles are the new currency.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Yesterday I drove past a soccer field that had been completely overrun with wildflowers. I know that everybody needs to stay in as much as possible and avoid large groups and so on. But i really hope a lot of people are taking this opportunity to make super low budget post-apocalyptic movies.

Yeah, I've seen people post photos of a practically empty Manhattan and it seems like it'd be a huge missed opportunity not to get a bunch of the city at its emptiest. Cops probably aren't going to be pushy about permits, either.

K. Waste posted:

Some updates on Monster Craze Memoirs

We're in full swing of a teensploitation month. We already covered I Was a Teenage Werewolf and Invasion of the Saucer Men on a previous episode, and this Saturday our "part 2" on I Was a Teenage Frankenstein and Blood of Dracula goes live at noon.

Rad. I've got a few episodes to catch up on, but I love Killer Shrews and Giant Gila Monster, am excited to hear you (presumably) talk trash about beach party horror, and I need an excuse to see Wild Guitar and revisit Eegah!. Teenagers from Outer Space is just the biggest snooze-fest, though. Also, not sure if you'd be interested but if you've never watched The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis it's got a really solid monster movie parody episode that'd be fun in a teen monster month.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 9, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
RIP Mort Drucker. Can't list the number of times I've watched a movie and realized I'd already "seen" it via one of his parodies

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I've seen people post photos of a practically empty Manhattan and it seems like it'd be a huge missed opportunity not to get a bunch of the city at its emptiest. Cops probably aren't going to be pushy about permits, either.

Rad. I've got a few episodes to catch up on, but I love Killer Shrews and Giant Gila Monster, am excited to hear you (presumably) talk trash about beach party horror, and I need an excuse to see Wild Guitar and revisit Eegah!. Teenagers from Outer Space is just the biggest snooze-fest, though. Also, not sure if you'd be interested but if you've never watched The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis it's got a really solid monster movie parody episode that'd be fun in a teen monster month.

So, why doesn't Dobie hook up with Zelda?

Oh:
Sheila James Kuehl (born February 9, 1941) is an American politician, former child actress, and currently the member of the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors for the 3rd District. In 1994, she became the first openly gay California legislator.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 9, 2020

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

PeterCat posted:

So, why doesn't Dobie hook up with Zelda?

No clue, man. Zelda's a catch in my book.

Notable that the Dobie gang was the direct inspiration for the Scooby-Doo kids. So Zelda is just Velma without the chunky knit.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Rando posted:

Anyone have recommendations on movies about violent revolution? Explicit scenes of bourgeois death a plus.

Battle of Algiers was used by both the IRA and the US Deparment of Defence as instructional material.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
No word on cause, but Dieter Laser, the mad scientist from Human Centipede died.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

No, Mantrid :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

morestuff posted:

RIP Mort Drucker. Can't list the number of times I've watched a movie and realized I'd already "seen" it via one of his parodies

I could have met Sergio Aragones at a comic con about five years back and I didn't. I've been kicking myself ever since. He probably doesn't have too many comic cons left.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

feedmyleg posted:

Teenagers is mostly gonna be more of an opportunity to make a very sad episode about the life and career of Tom Graeff.

drat, this show is quick.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Oh my god I finally watched Paddington for the first time after hearing people go on about it. What a charming and magical movie for simpler, pre-Brexit times.

The anti-Brexit campaign should have made everyone watch it. Delightful message of acceptance and caring and the best sign gags I've seen in a movie.

If you want a pick me up from these dark times, do yourself a favour and re-watch it.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Yeah and Paddington 2 is just as good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CPL593H posted:

I could have met Sergio Aragones at a comic con about five years back and I didn't. I've been kicking myself ever since. He probably doesn't have too many comic cons left.

Groo writer Mark Evanier told a story about how he would always make "Sergio doesn't speak English" jokes in the Groo comic, and as a result, once at a comic book store signing, the owner hired a translator to assist Sergio. Sergio, of course, speaks English wonderfully, but not wanting the translator to get fired, only spoke Spanish during the signing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I remember some issue of MAD claiming that when Antonio Prohías, creator of Spy vs Spy, started working for the magazine he only spoke three words of English two of which were "spy".

Segue
May 23, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Yeah and Paddington 2 is just as good.

Excellent! Planning to simultaneously watch it next week with the same group of friends. I miss having them over, but hey.

Also yeah the second one has Brendan Gleeson so I'm automatically sold.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Paddington 2 is even better, imo. And it’s Hugh Grant’s best performance ever.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Davros1 posted:

Groo writer Mark Evanier told a story about how he would always make "Sergio doesn't speak English" jokes in the Groo comic, and as a result, once at a comic book store signing, the owner hired a translator to assist Sergio. Sergio, of course, speaks English wonderfully, but not wanting the translator to get fired, only spoke Spanish during the signing.

That's pretty great. By all accounts he's a really cool dude.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Aw man, some times you forget what cult favorite really means. I love Danger 5 and wanted to see what everyone involved had been up to since and, well, it's rough being able to go through Instagrams of small-time working actors and creators. That's the business I suppose, but just a tad depressing that such talented people involved with such a great thing haven't been able to jump to much if anything else.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

drat man RIP to one of the creepiest Germans and most generous givers of willies of all time. Had that big "has tasted human flesh" energy that made Udo Kier look like motherfucking Tom Hanks. His first name sounded like something a cartoon robot might say, and his last name was Laser. If anyone feels like the world got a lot less weird with the death of this bizarre man, it did, but take heart, it'll get just as weird again plus interest in a matter of days, count on that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

feedmyleg posted:

Aw man, some times you forget what cult favorite really means. I love Danger 5 and wanted to see what everyone involved had been up to since and, well, it's rough being able to go through Instagrams of small-time working actors and creators. That's the business I suppose, but just a tad depressing that such talented people involved with such a great thing haven't been able to jump to much if anything else.

Danger 5 is loving amazing and one of my personal bugbears is how Kung fury more or less directly stole their entire shtick from Danger 5, including stealing specific gags, and got a lot more publicity even though it’s a shittier project in basically every way.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Is there a directory of the SubG Star Trek posts anywhere?

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

CPL593H posted:

That's pretty great. By all accounts he's a really cool dude.

Yeah, I had him sign a little Star Wars book he did the art for, the Galactic Phrasebook & Travel Guide, and he was slightly amused and said something like "A very strange/funny little book."

If the world gets normal again and he comes back around and does a "Quick Draw" panel at your local con, or you are willing to brave SDCC, absolutely attend. One of the funniest/funnest things I've ever seen. (I have no idea how often that happens outside of SDCC.)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Escobarbarian posted:

Paddington 2 is even better, imo. And it’s Hugh Grant’s best performance ever.

Debatable if it’s better but it’s also absolutely wonderful. I think those two films are genuine masterpieces. And man, does High Grant enjoy himself. It’s palpable, and delightful.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Segue posted:

Oh my god I finally watched Paddington for the first time after hearing people go on about it. What a charming and magical movie for simpler, pre-Brexit times.

The anti-Brexit campaign should have made everyone watch it. Delightful message of acceptance and caring and the best sign gags I've seen in a movie.

If you want a pick me up from these dark times, do yourself a favour and re-watch it.

Paddington 2 is the anti-Brexit film you crave

Also apparently Cannibal Holocaust is getting a video game sequel this year? That's kinda wild.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I, Butthole posted:

Also apparently Cannibal Holocaust is getting a video game sequel this year? That's kinda wild.

Like how the Harvest Moon series went to poo poo but was supplanted by the Story of Seasons series, so too will the Cannibal Holocaust game carry on the tradition of the classic Cooking Mama games

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They should bring back drive in movies in the age of 'rona

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

They should bring back drive in movies in the age of 'rona

That doesn't seem like a good idea.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Fine then just have giant screens put up everywhere so we can watch them with binoculars like the kid in Monster Squad

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

banned from Starbucks posted:

Fine then just have giant screens put up everywhere so we can watch them with binoculars like the kid in Monster Squad

This seems like a good idea.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I wish I could understand what y’all see in the paddington cinematic universe. Guess I’ll just have to wait for Corduroy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Anonymous Robot posted:

I wish I could understand what y’all see in the paddington cinematic universe. Guess I’ll just have to wait for Corduroy.

If you don’t get the Paddington films I just feel sorry for you, and wonder what you have in place of a soul.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Danger 5 is loving amazing and one of my personal bugbears is how Kung fury more or less directly stole their entire shtick from Danger 5, including stealing specific gags, and got a lot more publicity even though it’s a shittier project in basically every way.

I remember you talking about this specifically and it got me to sit down and watch all of Danger 5.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Watched Horse Girl last night. Overall it was good and I enjoyed it, but I liked it more before it dove into full-on surrealism/complete mental breakdown/psychosis. The first act has a wonderfully dry sense of humor and the second act gets really intense and does a good job of sympathetically portraying a person going through the early stages of mental illness, but then the last act just doesn't do a whole ton with the premise other than some neat imagery, and I ultimately feel like it doesn't have much to say.

I also watched Tiger King, and I think that discussion was in the ~13 pages I skipped here but that's a wild-rear end and entertaining show that definitely cares more about the spectacle and telling a story than discovering the truth. Joe should be in prison, I have no clue if Carole killed her husband, Doc Antle and Jeff Lowe should also spend time behind bars.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Even while I was three sheets to the wind, I couldn't stand more than 10 minutes of Kung Fury. Annoying and cloying in every way. One of my friends has been trying to get me to watch The VelociPastor and I don't have the heart to tell her I'm not interested in more Kung Fury bullshit.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I watched Velocipastor last night and it’s not nearly as poo poo as Kung Fury but it is very weird.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I watched Ben & Arthur, which is sub-The Room levels of laughably bad except it's also a strikingly heartfelt film by a gay man frustrated by the lack of marriage rights the cultural dominance of religious fundamentalists (it came out in 2002). You might recognize it as a mainstay on the IMDb Bottom 100 but it just goes spectacularly off the rails if you've never seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Kung Fury is really loving bad. The only good thing I can say about it is that it's only 30 minutes long.