Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Yeah the club's at +10, I was thinking of upgrading the spear at McDuff's, sorry for being unclear. But if magic resistance is a problem for the DLCs then physical damage makes sense, and also I forgot about the scaling of course. I have put approximately zero levels into Intelligence and Faith so it's now suddenly clear why the magic mace wasn't doing great anymore. :doh: And also that upgrading the spear with anything other than raw damage would be fruitless with my current stats (mostly STR and DEX if we're talking damage, but I haven't neglected survivability). The mace is still useful for small corridors and such because the swing is more compact and a little quicker than the club, and works better with a shield, but maybe I should switch to a different one. I'll take a look at my inventory and see what I have.

edit: I mean or just switch to a sword or something, I don't know why I'm adamant on sticking with a mace. I guess the pure numbers on swords don't seem as impressive but I need to remember they're much quicker.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Reminds me of the guy who did a throwables only run of the game.

https://i.imgur.com/ZPrlE9V.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-YQK1C54iE

Thank you for both validating my memories and also giving me a cool video to check out!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Glare Seethe posted:

Yeah the club's at +10, I was thinking of upgrading the spear at McDuff's, sorry for being unclear. But if magic resistance is a problem for the DLCs then physical damage makes sense, and also I forgot about the scaling of course. I have put approximately zero levels into Intelligence and Faith so it's now suddenly clear why the magic mace wasn't doing great anymore. :doh: And also that upgrading the spear with anything other than raw damage would be fruitless with my current stats (mostly STR and DEX if we're talking damage, but I haven't neglected survivability). The mace is still useful for small corridors and such because the swing is more compact and a little quicker than the club, and works better with a shield, but maybe I should switch to a different one. I'll take a look at my inventory and see what I have.

Ahhh yeah okay, I had a feeling something was off since you haven't talked about casting spells at all. You can always go strip the magic infusion off the mace and switch it back to a plain one, that'll help.

I'm not as well versed in the dex side of things, but if you've got a quality build going it's at least worth giving the classic Greatsword a try (which is naturally an Ultra Greatsword and not a Greatsword class weapon :v:). IIRC, the next step up from the Great Club is the Dragon's Tooth, which you may or may not have stuffed in your pocket somewhere.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Might be a good time to ask... I played many many hours in DSIII but ended up hating it more and more. I really like demon's souls remake. drat it's good. Just played the first couple areas, I don't think I made it to a real boss. I have a copy of DSII...am I likely to end up resenting the time spent, like I did with III?

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

nordichammer posted:

If memory serves, magic was nerfed for the DLC by giving bosses, if not most enemies, much higher magic resistance. I am not sure how that interacts with Scholar if the First Sin, but yeah

Still nasty. I started the DLCs of my last run a Hexer wielding the Roaring Halberd and a Magic Rapier and by the end I was a full strength build running a Reinforced Clubs power stances and a backup bleed weapon because the moment I hit Sunken King nothing would loving die through Sorceries, Miracles, Hexes, Pyromancy, or my fancy stabbers even with all my magic stats at the scaling soft cap. And there are a lot of things that need killing because DS2 clown car enemy placements.

I started as Gandalf the Grey and ended as Animal from the Muppets and the whole world were my goddamn drums.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 26, 2021

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

John Murdoch posted:

IIRC, the next step up from the Great Club is the Dragon's Tooth, which you may or may not have stuffed in your pocket somewhere.

I might actually be lugging two of these things if I recall correctly. I think the club's the most I can handle with my current stats but I suppose I could respec if necessary. I'll experiment a little with swords and greatswords and whatnot and just remember to pay attention to the stat scaling and see if keeping my DEX is worthwhile, or if I should redirect some of that into STR. I guess that's one way to make the runs to Sir Alonne more tolerable - do each one with a different weapon and by the time enemies have stopped spawning maybe I'll have decided on a new setup.

Might be worthwhile to check with Straid first actually... I still have the Flexile Sentry soul for instance and that one can make some interesting swords if I recall.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mescal posted:

Might be a good time to ask... I played many many hours in DSIII but ended up hating it more and more. I really like demon's souls remake. drat it's good. Just played the first couple areas, I don't think I made it to a real boss. I have a copy of DSII...am I likely to end up resenting the time spent, like I did with III?

impossible to say because every game is different and everyone has a different opinion about each of them. If you own it then just try it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Mescal posted:

Hard to say. In a sense, Dark Souls 1 is basically Demon's Souls 2, so that might be the best place to start after coming off DeS. But, even with the remastered version, it might feel too clunky and strange after the DeS remake made everything all silky smooth. DS2 is a great game with a bad reputation...but on the other hand a lot of that hate boils down to "it's not enough like DS1" so coming into it without those preconceptions might help. Also it's a question of whether or not you have the original version of 2 or Scholar of the First Sin.

Glare Seethe posted:

I might actually be lugging two of these things if I recall correctly. I think the club's the most I can handle with my current stats but I suppose I could respec if necessary. I'll experiment a little with swords and greatswords and whatnot and just remember to pay attention to the stat scaling and see if keeping my DEX is worthwhile, or if I should redirect some of that into STR. I guess that's one way to make the runs to Sir Alonne more tolerable - do each one with a different weapon and by the time enemies have stopped spawning maybe I'll have decided on a new setup.

Might be worthwhile to check with Straid first actually... I still have the Flexile Sentry soul for instance and that one can make some interesting swords if I recall.

Ah, right. The Dragon Tooth might not be worth chasing after then if you stick with a mix of strength/dex. I think at the end of the day it's literally a difference of like <50 AR plus the Tooth gives some minor resistance bonuses just for fun. It's an upgrade, sure, but more of a feather in your cap than a big paradigm shift.

There are so many dang swords in DS2 so the world's pretty much your oyster if you want something cool that scales off dex. I'm just not the person to ask about pretty much any of them. :v:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 26, 2021

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
GRAVEN is out in early access https://store.steampowered.com/app/1371690/GRAVEN/

At the moment I feel it's a bit too janky even for Early Access, it also has the unforgivable sin of including a stamina system in something that should be a 90s Heretic/Hexen love letter.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ymgve posted:

GRAVEN is out in early access https://store.steampowered.com/app/1371690/GRAVEN/

At the moment I feel it's a bit too janky even for Early Access, it also has the unforgivable sin of including a stamina system in something that should be a 90s Heretic/Hexen love letter.

I forget what my exact phrasing was when a bunch of us played Graven during one of the last demo festivals, but suffice to say that Graven feels very bad and looks very cool and I don't see those changing in either direction.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

What are everyone's impressions of Mass Effect - Legendary edition?

On the one hand, I wouldn't mind having the whole series on steam, without loving around with Origin and Bioware points.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm going to bother to replay any time soon, so the price if way too high. Particularly if it introduces new bugs or whatever (or fixes the old bugs - I kinda want infinite paragon \ renegade points on the ice planet)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's weirdly great, I'm having a blast. I mean wait for a sale if you like, but its a good package especially if you never played the dlc.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
FWIW (not much) you haven't needed to gently caress around with Bioware points for years now. They bundled up the DLCs for 2 and 3 on Origin and even put them on sale a few times. The remaster was my doing, because they were waiting for me to buy them first.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Xander77 posted:

On the one hand, I wouldn't mind having the whole series on steam, without loving around with Origin and Bioware points.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm going to bother to replay any time soon, so the price if way too high. Particularly if it introduces new bugs or whatever (or fixes the old bugs - I kinda want infinite paragon \ renegade points on the ice planet)

Honestly I like it a lot. Mass Effect 1 is great now. You can use all the weapons with any class, weapons are actually different ala ME2 so you can find yknow fast firing assault rifle, burst, single shot. Having all the DLC integrated is nice, I feel like there should be like "Hey, don't do the DLC as soon as they tell you you can" but yknow ayy lmao live your life I guess

oh! It doesn't support dualshock 4/5 natively, use DS4 Windows and it works perfectly fine. Just a little tip from me 2 u

Prokhor fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 26, 2021

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Xander77 posted:

I find it superior to the original versions, although some people don't like the updated lighting. The gameplay changes to ME1 are so good I'll never play the original version again.

If you already own the series and all the DLC then you're probably fine if you don't want to spend that much, but if you don't own them already then you honestly should buy this rather than getting them separately and buying the DLC.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Boy, Biomutant is…stiff. I can’t get into it at all. I also can’t say I’m a fan of a single narrator having to voice every interaction by himself. He sounds great, but I don’t want to hear one voice for an entire game. The crafting is definitely neat at least. I’ll try it a little longer but I don’t see myself sticking with this one.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Tried an hour or so of Biomutant. It's bad.
- Combat that feels incredibly weightless and amateurish, where you just kind of mash buttons and the impacts are so weak that it's hard to tell that you're actually hitting things. The controls are also a bit frustrating and unresponsive. They tried to go for an Arkham-type thing with parries but completely missed the mark.
- I guess the combination of "open-world" and "post-apocalyptic" made me expect something more open-ended, but it has been surprisingly hand-holdy, with almost constant narration that really spoils the atmosphere. Like you'll come to a fork in the road and the game will take control of the camera to pan up and show you the fork, and the narrator will say "You've come to a fork in the road, and you'll have to decide which way to go." Like no poo poo.
- Speaking of the narrator, the game does this thing (I'm guessing to save on voice acting costs) where all of the NPCs talk in gibberish like Star Wars aliens, and then the narrator tells you what they said, line after line. It got tedious before I was done talking to the first NPC.

I thought it had looked pretty janky and low-budget from the first gameplay trailers but then when I saw the full $60 price tag I thought oh dang, I guess they're pretty confident that it's good? But no, it's even worse than I was expecting.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I was not sure where to ask, since the PC hardware board is more focused on building PCs instead of prebuilt PCs. This is the setup I made, trying to avoid stuff that was too pricey for an Alienware r10: https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/s...8e-a237d740065d. This is the NXZT PC a friend recommended: https://www.letsbld.com/bld/step5?price=1500&draft=2132092982. Honestly, for the price I think the NXZT looks better. I want to play Pathologic 2 with an acceptable frame rate though and they recommend an AMD 7 at least. Is it worth paying a little more for an AMD 7+3060?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Triarii posted:

Tried an hour or so of Biomutant. It's bad.
- Combat that feels incredibly weightless and amateurish, where you just kind of mash buttons and the impacts are so weak that it's hard to tell that you're actually hitting things. The controls are also a bit frustrating and unresponsive. They tried to go for an Arkham-type thing with parries but completely missed the mark.
- I guess the combination of "open-world" and "post-apocalyptic" made me expect something more open-ended, but it has been surprisingly hand-holdy, with almost constant narration that really spoils the atmosphere. Like you'll come to a fork in the road and the game will take control of the camera to pan up and show you the fork, and the narrator will say "You've come to a fork in the road, and you'll have to decide which way to go." Like no poo poo.
- Speaking of the narrator, the game does this thing (I'm guessing to save on voice acting costs) where all of the NPCs talk in gibberish like Star Wars aliens, and then the narrator tells you what they said, line after line. It got tedious before I was done talking to the first NPC.

1) The combat is pretty rad once you get used to it. It's a bit weightless, but so was DMC 5 and it reminds me of the combat from that game, if maybe a little worse. Play on Hard mode and it's really a decent challenge especially if you don't cheese the guns too much.

2) That's literally the opening tutorial which is introducing you to the concept of the light and dark points, lol. It may surprise you to know that doesn't actually happen once you are outside the tutorial and you come to a fork in the road. Once you are let loose into the open world you can go wherever you want whenever you want.

You can also adjust the frequency of the narration to any level you'd like, to the point that it basically never says anything unless it's translating for an NPC.

3) You can do the same for the NPC voices, make their noises (which I think are pretty cool actually, weirdass mutant animals wouldn't talk like people anyways) as long or short as you want.

Yes, indeed, the Biomutant defender has logged on

Ragequit posted:

Boy, Biomutant is…stiff. I can’t get into it at all. I also can’t say I’m a fan of a single narrator having to voice every interaction by himself. He sounds great, but I don’t want to hear one voice for an entire game. The crafting is definitely neat at least. I’ll try it a little longer but I don’t see myself sticking with this one.

So yeah, see above. If your main issue is the narrator, go into the settings and set it how you want. You can also adjust his volume independently, I thought it sounded better with sound fx up and narrator voice down.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The morality system is really half-baked, it's KOTOR1 level stuff of you find a prisoner and can either help them or not for light side/dark side points, the same event pasted all over the map 25 times.

Also you start off being introduced to the full darkside "genocide everyone" and full lightside "help everyone" faction, I don't think I'm going to push in far enough to see it but I have no idea what coherent justification there will be for the separate "medium dark" "low dark" "low light" "medium light" factions lol

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Play posted:

2) That's literally the opening tutorial which is introducing you to the concept of the light and dark points, lol. It may surprise you to know that doesn't actually happen once you are outside the tutorial and you come to a fork in the road. Once you are let loose into the open world you can go wherever you want whenever you want.

Literally the first time I came to a fork in the road outside of the tutorial bunker, the same thing happened again. And it's more of a general philosophy of frequently grabbing control of the camera and pointing it at something to make sure you get it vs just letting you explore on your own.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The morality system is really half-baked, it's KOTOR1 level stuff of you find a prisoner and can either help them or not for light side/dark side points, the same event pasted all over the map 25 times.

Also you start off being introduced to the full darkside "genocide everyone" and full lightside "help everyone" faction, I don't think I'm going to push in far enough to see it but I have no idea what coherent justification there will be for the separate "medium dark" "low dark" "low light" "medium light" factions lol

This was also my initial impression of the morality system.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I was not sure where to ask, since the PC hardware board is more focused on building PCs instead of prebuilt PCs. This is the setup I made, trying to avoid stuff that was too pricey for an Alienware r10: https://www.dell.com/en-us/member/s...8e-a237d740065d. This is the NXZT PC a friend recommended: https://www.letsbld.com/bld/step5?price=1500&draft=2132092982. Honestly, for the price I think the NXZT looks better. I want to play Pathologic 2 with an acceptable frame rate though and they recommend an AMD 7 at least. Is it worth paying a little more for an AMD 7+3060?

I would go for the NZXT build in this case. Looks like standard components in case you ever need to swap one out, has a noticably better GPU and the CPU shouldn't be an issue. I think the Ryzen 7 recommendation is just so that you don't run it on some older Ryzen 3 or 5, but the 5600X is one of the best gaming CPUs out there right now.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The only takeaway for me with the light vs dark thing is that a decision each way gets you points of the same type. So I'm just gonna treat it like that, make the decision that will get me the points I want at the moment to unlock the skill I want, because yeah it's half baked af and doesn't make sense. I think it would've been better if they hadn't even tied it to 'morality', just two types of psy skills or whatever.

It's not exactly subtle either, especially at the beginning: "do you want to unite the tribes and save all living beings on the planet or are you Literally Animal Hitler??"

Triarii posted:

Literally the first time I came to a fork in the road outside of the tutorial bunker, the same thing happened again. And it's more of a general philosophy of frequently grabbing control of the camera and pointing it at something to make sure you get it vs just letting you explore on your own.

That's still essentially the tutorial section, which doesn't actually end until you choose one of the tribes at the end of each fork. I can't promise that specifically will never happen again but I kind of doubt it once it sets you totally free.

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I might have to buy a version of the second one just to get the 3060 inside, lol

Play fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 26, 2021

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Biomutant makes a pretty bad first impression but after an hour or two it gets pretty fun. I really like the crafting system.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Jeez, that Necromunda game is out in under a week and I don't think there's even been a single, uncut gameplay video for it. Buyer beware...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I still hope its good lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/irday/pdf/2021/GNS_E.pdf

hmm

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
oh hey MW5 is out on Steam, along with its new DLC. It's like $5 in my region lol

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

I'll buy it. It'll be interesting to see how good of a port they do, all the Uncharted games are extreeeemely tailored to the hardware they run on.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I'd really like the first three games before playing 4.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Uncharted 1-3 are on PS Now at least, if they don't port those to PC for whatever reason

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sininu posted:

I'd really like the first three games before playing 4.

You really don't need to play the first 3 games before playing the 4th. Although yes, ports would be nice.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Azran posted:

oh hey MW5 is out on Steam, along with its new DLC. It's like $5 in my region lol

I loaded up the steam page and got confused because I was like..didn't Mechwarrior Mercenaries come out almost 20 years ago? But of course Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries is different than Mechwarriors 4: Mercenaries...

Is it actually any good?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Jeez, the Mechwarrior 5 DLC is almost as much as the game itself. Still, I could be tempted...

I know it met with a middling response on launch with stuff like enemies just spawning in out of thin air and an overreliance on generic procgen missions, did the devs ever fix its bigger issues? Any good mods come out, preferably ones adding more mechs and guns (don't care about Battletech timeline canon gimme my Clanners)? Is this one of those games where the DLC is considered near-mandatory?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah apparently you play as Generic Mc-Shooterprotagonist as well which is always great in a game about making a mercenary company

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
MW5 is on Gamepass if you have that. Don't think the DLC is included though.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Titanfall 2 is a better Mechwarrior game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zeron posted:

I loaded up the steam page and got confused because I was like..didn't Mechwarrior Mercenaries come out almost 20 years ago? But of course Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries is different than Mechwarriors 4: Mercenaries...

Hell, Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries came out 25 years ago. I think it is my second-favorite MW game after MW3.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Humble Bundle has downgraded their bundle pages to be less clear on what you receive with each tier for whatever reason. It also defaults to maximum amount. Play with the buttons and check out this garbage:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/bandai-2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's apparently more of an Nvidia issue than AMD somehow but lol I just lost all car engine noises in Saints Rows 3 Remastered what the gently caress. Apparently it's a bug from the original I never hit with solutions like "run vlc player" (which worked back in the day).

Game still good but remaster seems flawed