Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Book 24: Kurokumo Clan—Chapter 2

Music: GuestBattle01

Are you really sure you want to go through with this, Tiphereth? One of our floors could—

I'm going! I can pull my weight just fine, same as all of you.

It's not because you're weak or anything. Our floors are more developed… That means we have Abnormalities to back us up, and the stability means an increase in power overall.

Don't need 'em!

Tiphereth is using a gun build, and since she has a maximum Emotion Level of 1, I've opted to remove the Aiming for Bullseye and put in additional 1-cost pages. Playing with an underdeveloped floor means we need to plan for a much lower Light curve than we're used to.

Tylana is using a fairly standard deck. 3 Loosen Ups will keep her rolling in Light, and Flash of Sunup will make sure her hand remains full. We won't be able to spam her 3-costs as much as we'd like, so we'll need to make them count.

As for Omni, we'll be using the 2-cost Shuffle Hands for our drawtech. Bottom Deal will give us more advantage, so we should be able to keep our hand full. Our lower number of 3-costs should also let Omni get away with playing one less Loosen Up. His final passive is a simple +1 to Blunt Stagger damage.

Couldn't you just use Olga..?

And miss out on wearing this suit? Never.

Olga's Key Page would have been a great move here. It doesn't really need Emotion Levels to function, as having just one will let us pull off Daring Decision + Gamble, which is all we really need. However, I didn't think of it until writing this post I didn't feel like using it for the fourth time in a row.

Today we have another 2 floor, 2 Act fight with 3 opponents. The first act is a trio of basic Kurokumo Clan henchmen.

The Kurokumo Clan's main gimmick is inflicting Bleed. Every Key Page has the Razor Strike passive, which adds 1 Bleed to any successful Slash attack the character makes. A number of their pages also inflict Bleed on their own, meaning that if we tank a lot of hits we can easily bleed ourselves out.

Music: TipherethBattle01

It's time. Remember to follow—

I know what I'm doing!

…Then proceed as normal.

Clean Up is another Light restoration page. It costs 1 Light instead of the usual 0, restores 2 instead of 1, and its one die can inflict Bleed on its own. All three of the Kurokumo Henchmen are using it this turn—which is odd, because they all have full Light. :shrug:

Their single die does make Transpierce a great response, though!

Tiphereth's background slowly changes color as time goes by, the light regularly pulsing in strength. It's a very cool-looking effect, and the floor is one of the prettiest in the game. :allears:

Alright, team. It's opening night, and we only get one chance to make a first impression. I'll be shooting the center one.

Transpierce should handle the bottom, and I'll have a block left over for the other guy.

I'm going to hit things and look cool doing it!

Good enough. Let's do this. Yesod, keep us apprised of anything major like that E.G.O from before.

Right.

That seems like it worked nicely.

I just hope we can get through this like always.

They don't seem to hit very hard, at least..?

Then I'll open 'em up before they can change that!

I think we're doing pretty well… how 'bout you guys?

About as good as could be expected.

I think I'm bleeding…

Two of them are primed for disposal. Don't waste too much energy on them.

Got it.

Dark Cloud is an interesting page, which gives every Slash die played for the rest of the turn an additional stack of Bleed. This stacks with the dice's own effects, as well as the page's effect—it can create a lot of Bleed, very quickly. It's wasted on these Henchmen, though… their single Speed Die means it only affects itself, and one of its two dice is Blunt.

Either way, Crack of Dawn will stop it nicely.

I've got a bead. Ready?

Anytime, boss.

Tiphereth rips off over half of the remaining Henchman's Stagger Resist before anyone can move.

This allows Tylana to knock them for a loop with a good Crack of Dawn roll.

I got one! Gotta' say… not so bad.

Second enemy's down.

Ooh, nice victory pose!

It's just how this body makes slashing attacks.

The enemy's down! It's time for—

Cut that out.

Huh? We're not doing it?

This is work, not some kiddy TV show.

We've got to remain professional.

I bet if you watched them, you'd enjoy them…

That's besides the point.

While you guys were talking, I went ahead and finished off the final target.

Think you could turn off the light show for the next fight, boss? I'm really not a fan of when it goes bright.

That's all outside my control, sorry.

I'll have to make do.

Music: GuestBattle01

The second Act puts us against the three named characters, who are all a bit stronger than the rank-and-file members.

Sayo herself is the strongest of them, with a Slash version of the +1 Power ability. Battle Ready is also a nice ability, letting her start with 2 extra pages in hand.

Yang, meanwhile, deals more additional Bleed when he hits due to Digging Shank. Thankfully, it doesn't stack with Razor Strike—only dice that already inflict Bleed get this effect.

Lastly there's Gin. Gin has the weakest of the extra passives in this fight, since he only inflicts the extra Bleed upon winning a clash. He's still annoying, but mostly because of his deck—we'll get into it.

Music: TipherethBattle01

A child? They were slain by a child?

Dame, be careful. She's carrying a firearm. Even a child firing it could deal damage.

If they hit. She's too small to even fire the gun right.

I'm not a kid!

They're making the boss mad… that's bad, right?

For them, anyways.

This clash is to take the focus off of Tiphereth, who is targeting Yang with both of her dice. Sky-Clearing Cut is itself a relatively interesting page, since its weak first die can make the second die much stronger if it should lose a clash. It's still ultimately not that great.

Sharpened Blade is a 2-cost that works like Refine for Slash dice. On Sayo, that means a single one of these is a 4-6/4-6/4-5, and therefore this is a very stupid clash to be taking.

Silent Mist is also a decent 2-cost that gives 3 Protection on the next turn. Shuffle Hands is basically a toss-up with it, but this is also a terrible clash to be taking.

The reason for this is because we're using Tiphereth's floor, specifically. Our Light gauges are already maxed out. Because of this, our fundamentals need to change—our opponents will be getting free Light refills as the fight goes on, and we won't. We need to be making sure they fight tooth and nail for every single Emotion Coin they generate. This means we only want to be Clashing if one of three things is true:

-An enemy is going to become a book that turn (+3 Negative Emotion means the entire enemy team will be leveling up regardless).

-That enemy is our current target to defeat.

-We have low enough HP/SR that it requires us to clash to avoid taking damage.

Every clash that isn't on Yang is a mistake, since he's going to be our first target.

Come now. Let's teach them not to trifle with the Kurokumo Clan.

Should we start with an arm, or a leg?

We're in a hurry… just lop off their heads and be done with it.

If you keep underestimating us, you're going to be lining our shelves!

What the-?!

You were too focused on this one's… plumage?

It's a gene mod.

I'll never understand children today…

That's a nice eyepatch. It do anything?

Nothing too unusual.

Cool, cool. Tell me who made it, later?

One of us will be leaving here dead.

No biggie. I'll just read it from you after this.

Hm. Not even a limb gone..?

As if I'd even feel an attack of that level!

Don't tell them, but these guys pack a punch… We'll have to finish them off quickly.

I'll take care of the one you knocked off-guard, then.

Tylana, you take on Gin, then.

Hold on a moment, Tiphereth. There's something you should know.

What's up?

He's stacking defenses at an alarming rate. Attacking him right now won't have any real effect.

This is Gin's thing—most of his deck stacks 3 Protection on either the current turn or the next turn. When he's comboing Scattering Slash on top of 3 Protection, it's a good idea to avoid attacking him entirely. His one 2-7 Slash die isn't going to do a lot of damage, and any attacks we make on him will just bounce off anyways.

Right. New plan: pile onto Sayo. You can handle her attack, right?

I've got just the thing.

This fight's already won, isn't it? There wasn't much point in providing that information.

We're here to perform a job, and that job is to help guide the people on the battlefield. Whether or not they need it, we'll do whatever we can to avoid additional casualties.

In other words, he's worried about our people down there.

Aha! So I didn't understand it because it was such a humanesque way of thinking…

You mean… noon-humanesque… riight..?

Yes, that is precisely what I meant!

I'm getting quite tired of you hiding behind that weapon of yours.

Should the lady who only lived because she hid behind her underlings be saying that?

Yap all you like… you're doing the same thing.

And look, here one is now. Come for another lesson, little duckling?

I'll pass, thank you.

I learned plenty from that first hit!

How dare you..!

Do you have any idea what I do to people who dare strike me?!

Kneel down and beg for mercy?

That's it. You're foie gras, you ugly little ducky.

Quite the battle they're having, huh?

She's angered the Dame… she's not long for this world.

Maybe… but neither are you guys. If you'll pardon.

Get back here!

Double-edged surefire killing technique!

Yang… you weren't supposed to fall here. Gin.

Yes, Dame.

We'll have to get serious if we're to have any chance.

Music: GuestBattle02

Of course, Dame.

Much like our floors themselves, the Guest battle theme also has higher level versions. Our low Emotion Level cap means that if a fight goes on to long, their music's going to override ours. It's a shame since I like TipherethBattle01, but what can you do? :shrug:

My ammo's low. How're you guys doing?

The forbidden power in my blade… now that I've unleashed it, it cannot be quenched by mortal hands!

…Tylana, translation?

I think he's good to go..? Which is good, since I'm bleeding out of my everything.

I'm showing seven stacks of Bleed. If you attack twice, you'll take about 12 of your 47 health.

Eugh. Really not a fan of this.

Tiphereth's basically out of gas, but we're in a strong position to win the fight from here without even getting into our having a second floor.

These things really fall off after the opening salvo…

But what a salvo, right?

True enough.

…Still standing. Some 'power' that turned out to be.

When my right arm fails me… I always have my left!

Hff…

It didn't reach..?

Oh, it reached. I just blocked most of it since I wanted you to come in close.

It makes this a hell of a lot harder to dodge!

This may look bad… but there isn't a choice but to go forward.

Heey… Kataana ladyy..?

Why is there a voice in my head? Is this another of the Library's tricks?

Soort of..? I'm just watchiing… But I had a queestion…

Fine. Ask it.

You surrendered to that Tanya lady when it was cleear you couldn't wiin… Why not noow..?

Such a naive question. When you're dealing with a bitchhead like that, there's a possibility of escape if you're obedient. But the Library..? Tell me, do you know what people say about you?

…Noo..?

The Library is an unfeeling killer locale, whose monsterous inhabitants won't provide mercy nor accept surrender. What sort of idiot would kneel if they'll lose their head in any case?

Aahh… Then… I have another questionn…

You're trying my patience.

Oh, Sayo's finally playing her signature page! Ink Over is a page whose first die gains +1 power for every page in the user's hand. Right now, Sayo has 1 page in hand so it's a 2-7 die (3-8 after her passive), but since it can easily grow to a 8-13 off of a larger hand it's a threat if it comes out early. Here, she must not have drawn it until now.

I really shouldn't be clashing it with Loosen Up, but it's not like I've ever let that stop me before. :v:

When we beat yoou… do you think your books will get your boosses to show..?

My, aren't you full of yourselves? I hope it does. Even the lowest Soldato commands enough respect that our entire family listens without question.

So uultimatelyy… you're just leaning on theeir name… Goot it…

Hey! Stop having conversations with the enemy on my time!

Yes, maa'aam…

They're practically just bouncing off at this point…

It's that Protection he has—attacks will do significantly less damage.

So annoying…

You're telling me… I think I did more damage to me than him with this one.

You did.

…thanks.

Thank that disembodied sloth you have for what's about to happen to you.

We have a what, now?!

I should not have even gotten a tie on this clash, I'll take it.

Omni, you're taking too much damage. Back off!

There's no need. I've got this all figured out!

What the hell are you on?

Ghh-When people die, they turn into books, right?

That's what I've heard, so would you please hurry and become one for me?

Not now, you! Anyways, people become books—so we never see the body.

Oh geez. This is one of your stupid 'special training' things, isn't it?

It's so obvious! If we never find the body, then there's no proof we actually die at all!

…I guess there's no cure for your idiocy, is there?

I've seen it bear out before. I'm sure it'll be fine this time!

After all, if nobody is actually dying, then it's fine to go all out!

Human! Your body will give out if you push yourself to that extent much longer!

Appreciated, but it's fine!

…boss..?

Forget about him. Just focus on keeping yourself alive.

Stay out of my way, or I'll crush you!

What is this guy… he's insane!

She's still standing!

Then I'm on my way!

If you swing… then you're going to fall apart.

That doesn't matter!

Hah… hahah. I've weathered it. Foolish brat… You never had a chance…

Dame!

Music: GuestBattle03

Sayo's death kicks Gin into Emotion Level 4, and this triggers the third level of Guest music. While all floors have a Level 3 music (and all of them are bangers), we won't be hearing any of our own for a while. Enjoy it while it lasts.

That moron couldn't be helped… It's unfortunate, but let's finish before anyone else dies.

Right.

That damned wolf… if not for her, none of this would have happened. Was this what she wanted..?

It's a little late to be pondering that sort of thing.

…That's all of them. Let's clean up and head home.

Of course.

The test is concluded. Was it to your satisfaction?

Yes, you've done an excellent job. Thank you, Yesod.

…You're welcome.

The Kurokumo Clan is ultimately kind of a joke. Their focus on Bleed isn't enough to manage to get through two floors, and at this point all of our best pages are either Slash-neutral or Slash-endured, meaning they have great difficulty really putting damage onto our team. They're the easiest way to break into the second tier of Urban Plague, and we're able to clown on them as a result.

Music: Result

We're leaving the cleanup to them this time, right?

That was the deal. Let's get back to our floor.

Hnnhnn… hmhmhmhm..! HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Great. Now there's two of them. :psyduck:

Did you guys see that?! That was awesome!

Awesome or not, it was a waste! Don't get yourself killed for no reason!

VIDEO
Music: Lobby

You always say that. Is there any real difference?

You heard what that doghead said? Now we have the Thumb, the Index, and whatever third party she belongs to. It doesn’t sound like a random run-of-the-mill Syndicate, seeing how she talked to the members of a Finger with so much confidence.

It seems it’s not just the major Syndicates that have incentive to be involved in a turf war like this, if smaller Syndicates are meddling in so willingly.

Well, basically. Whatever goods the head honchos take interest in are naturally gonna attract the attention of those below them. The Thumb or the Index probably won’t take direct action for now, but their subordinates are nothing to sneeze at. Grabbing their attention might be beneficial for the Library’s wealth of info… But it’s gonna be tough for us to stop them if we escalate things any further from here.

I just hope the other Fingers stay out of this, things would get out of hand otherwise…

I’m fine with it as long as the results benefit us.

With this, we've successfully finished nearly all of Urban Plague. There's only one node left, and we'll be hitting it next time.

Next time, on Library of Ruina

Let's find out if the wait was worth it, shall we?

Videos

Kurokumo Clan 2
Steve solo attempt (The thread put me up to this; we do not have the tools we need to succeed right now)

New Key Pages

New Combat Pages

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I literally remember nothing of the Kurokumo cards whatsoever, it's honestly kind of confusing to me. My best guess is that I took them down and then forgot to burn their books...? None of their poo poo is familiar.

Which is a pity and explains my confusion about my decks having no Slash support whatsoever.

Yeah, solos don't have enough healing at this point to work. Due to the action economy, you will take hits, so you need some form of healing better than what we have. It's especially bad on Kurokumo since they're hitting you with Bleeds constantly, and you don't have the luxury to wait out a turn of particularly bad bleed if necessary.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Gin and Yang have a little of Kiryu and Majima energy, don't they? Gin is stoic and cool-headed, and Yang is more manic and crazy.

Granted they're probably on the mind because these guys basically are the City's version of the yakuza, complete with 'protection fees' and all.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Kurokumo! Like slash? Like bleed? They've got it, and plenty of. The early bread'n butter of a Hod floor, imo.
...'Course, you don't have to use em on Hod. I remember using em on Netzach for a while to good effect.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Awful fingers get out of hand pun that I am sure is intentional

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
A/N: despite my love for Sayo and the slashbleed she brings to the table, I'm not really that confident in my analysis of most of these cards. Still, you can't go wrong with a deck of head-to-head, flash of sunup and clean-up, and the real prize here are the keypages anyway.

The Kurokumo, while very easy to beat, are some of the best cards in the tier in player hands. If you make a beeline for them at the start of the tier then pick up Dawn Office afterwards you can basically stomp the rest of it.

Incidentally, these pages - both their ease of access and their bleed infliction - also make Hod's floor the best one to handle this tier. If you've got even a little bit of red in your emotion coins you're basically guaranteed to roll Obsession because it's your only red II card, and if you hold off on doing Spider Bud until next tier you'll also be able to pair Axe with Look of the Day every time to boost your slash dice by a massive +4-6 (+2 from look of the day, +1-3 from Axe and +1 from Sayo). The second biggest tragedy of the game behind how hard Keter gets hosed over is that Hod won't retain this level of power (or this niche) forever. Axe and Obsession are both red cards, with Axe being weighted at -1 and Obsession being at -2 meaning that when you have a full pool of I and II abnormality pages (which Hod's next Abnormality will inevitably be bringing) it becomes a lot harder to roll them unless you're deliberately losing clashes to get those red coins.

With the addition of a single Abnormality, Hod goes from being the stab-happy queen of blood rolling with +4-6 power and inflicting 16 bleed with a single card to...basically being useless since she can no longer access any of the cards that let her do that unless you're playing badly or putting in serious effort to make it happen. And that's really loving sad. Axe and Obsession are both very, very powerful cards with effects that can define a floor's niche that she functionally loses as the game goes on, making Hod the only floor in the game that actually gets notably weaker as they level up. Poor Hod.

Thank you to coming to my TED talk, I'll actually talk about cards now.

New Key Pages

Absolutely useless. If you want Razor Blade on a build chances are you'll already be getting it from attributing Gin, Yang or Sayo.

God drat, bleed's getting a lot more love than burn did from Dawn Office, huh? Deep Wound and Digging Shank are basically passives you'll be slapping on all bleed builds from now on. They're very good at racking up a lot of bleed - winning a clash with a slash die that inflicts bleed causes you to inflict a whopping four bleed instead of merely one. I will however note that Digging Shank only works with cards that inflict bleed as an effect. Hitting someone with a normal slash attack will only result in Razor Strike and Deep Wound triggering. This combo also pairs well with Jikan's passives, letting you smack enemies just a little bit harder while they've got bleed (which they always will since basically everything you do with these passives on will inflict bleed).

Sayo is the best keypage in the tier. A +1 power passive like Oscar, though one that's probably better since it also synergizes with Dawn Office's burn stuff, meaning you can very quickly rack up a lot of burn AND bleed simultaneously, but also inherent +2 card advantage and the basic Kurokumo slashbleed synergy passive. Also, y'know, she's purple instead of gold so you get three of her. Three Sayos on Hod's floor is probably the best team you can make in Urban Plague.

New Combat Pages

A good page for defensive builds utilizing blue-boosting abnormalities and passives, but not so much a straight Kurokumo deck.

A nice 0-cost draw page, but you're better off using Flash of Sunup instead.

Another page more suited to defensive builds rather than the all-out offense that Sayo prefers.

A powerful card that isn't worth it due to that crippling 4-cost.

Even if that second die is real nice, I'm not fond of deliberately losing clashes.

You're always better off using a pure-slash page that inflicts bleed over this if you want to bleed an enemy out.

The Kurokumo's bread and butter light restoration engine. Big, meaty die, light restoration and bleed, all on one card. A straight upgrade over the 0-cost light restores for Sayos.

My personal favourite card of the bunch, even if the dicerolls are misleading. Using two at once results in a pair of very tight 6-8 dicerolls that will probably beat most of the less reliable dicerolls in the tier (as well as a potential 7 bleed inflicted per card), but the real prize is what it does to the other card you use - Flash of Sunup, for example, gets bumped up to a very impressive 4-8/1-4/4-9, while Clean Up becomes 5-10 and Head-to-Head becomes 6-10/7-10. A pretty great support card that both buffs your other card and inflicts a hefty dosage of bleed.

Meh. The protection is neat I guess, but mixed damage types and a lack of bleed on both dice means it's not really worthwhile.

I'm bringing this card up again because, in the context of Sayo, it goes from being "good" to being absolutely phenomenal. For the measly price of a single point of damage, you can inflict up to a whopping eight stacks of bleed on your enemy. And if you've got Axe up and running on Hod's floor, that goes up to sixteen. That's 31 damage from a single card, in addition to whatever you deal with the attacks themselves. Hit someone with a couple of these in one turn and you may as well say "omae wa mou shindeiru". Abuse this power while you can, because as mentioned at the top it won't last due to Hod's Abnormality pool being diluted as the game goes on. I'll also note that Jikan's passive of "I get stronger the more Bleed I have" makes a lot more sense in the context of him getting ready to fight the bleed-loving Kurokumo, doesn't it?

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Mar 8, 2022

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Kurokumo cards are pretty good at this point. Neither of the henchmen are that notable, although Digging Shank is a decent bleed passive. Sayo though is really excellent at this point in the game, and you get three copies of her page. Starting with two extra cards in hand is really good, she already has Speed and the +1 slash power is great with the slash focused cards that Kurokumo gives out. The weakness to Blunt can sometimes be a problem though.

Rules of the Backstreets is a simple card: One-sided attack someone to draw a card, deal a little damage, and inflict a bit of Bleed with Razor Strike. I personally prefer it to Flash of Sunup because it's cheaper and capable of clashing in a pinch but ymmv.

Clean Up is a great Light restoring card because not only is it's restoration guaranteed(unlike Loosen Up), it can actually win clashes, especially supported by Kurokumo +Slash bonuses. Wait Up! is now officially obsolete and Loosen Up is only better on a heavy Blunt set-up.

Cumulus Wall is a good damage mitigation card, with two decent leading Block dice for only one Light. Just because it has no special ability doesn't mean it's bad.

Similarly, Dark Cloud isn't good even though it has a special ability. At most it will inflict 4 extra Bleed if you use it with Sharpened Blade or something, which isn't worth the low rolls, awkward Blunt leading die and lack of Light restoration.

Sky Clearing Cut is similarly awkward, with an intentionally weak first die. On Sayo after losing a clash the second die is a 6-12 which is fairly high, but not high enough to actually beat a strong second die card like Crack of Dawn. Not worth it.

Sharpened Blade is pretty good on Sayo, since +3 Slash power really helps cards like Sunset Blade, Clean Up or even the humble Rules of the Backstreets. The Block die at the end is even reasonably strong and guarantees an emotion coin if rolled.

Silent Mist has an embarrassingly weak third die and an awkward Blunt die for it's Bleed infliction but 3 Protection is actually a lot. I don't personally like it but it isn't totally useless.

Scattering Slash is similar except it takes effect immediately which is imo more useful.

Ink Over is our second 4-cost card and is mostly worse then Tailoring. It can be pretty strong on Sayo with a 5-11 2-8 4-11, but Tailoring on Oscar is a 7-11 7-11 which even inflicts more Bleed. Still worth using on a dedicated Slash deck right now, but mostly due to lack of good Slash 3-costs.

Now the question you may be asking is: how do these new cards work with Brawl? The answer is: alright. Brawl copying Brawl has three Slash dice so the power bonuses are appreciated and Ink Over is an ok card to copy, although with Brawl you usually don't want a full hand.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

A Kurokumo Henchman's Page is a green Page, what do you expect. A source of Razor Strike, which inflict Bleed on slash attacks. All Kurokumo pages have this passive, which reduces usefulness of this page even further, but it is a good passive to slap on any Slash-using character, if you have points to spare and have nothing better.

Yang's Page and Gin's Page are only marginally better, with +2 HP and Stagger, and each having a unique passive: Gin having Deep Wound, which inflicts 1 Bleed on clash win with attack dice, and Yang has Digging Shank, which is Stigme Workshop Weaponry, but for Bleed. Both are mainly sources of said passives due to lack of Speed.

Sayo's Page is a mix of Oscar and Salvador pages, but for Slash and Bleed. +1 to Slash dice is great support ability, and with Yang and Gun pages attributed, she will inflict 3 additional Bleed upon winning clash with slash dice, which already inflicts Bleed. Battle Ready is another great passive, which makes you start with 6 cards, instead of 4, so you have greater chance to have cards you need in the beginning and have a buffer against card exaustion, if you play more than one non-draw card in same turn. This playstyle works extremely well with Hod Floor and Abnormality Pages like Obsession and Axe. The only downside of this Key Page is Blunt Damage weakness.

Rules of the Backstreets is a 0-cost slash drawtech with good dice roll. It draws only on hit, which should be kept in mind, but this is a good card.

Clean Up. A 1-cost, with net gain of 1 Light, but it still binds that 1 light from being used on current scene. And a roll, which is not really impressive for a single-die card. I would take even Want a Taste of this Chain? over it.

Cumulus Wall, a second 1-cost entry in Struggle series. Has slash dice and Bleed, use it when you would any other similar card.

Dark Cloud gives you the benefit of Razor Strike, further improving your bleed-inflicting capability. Sadly, one of the two dice is blunt, and none of the dice inflict bleed by themselves, which does not work well with Max Bleed Sayo build. A situational card, which might be useful in some cases, but I would better use, say, Beyond the Shadow, which is actually works well for Sayo, even if it is Full-Stop card.

Sharpened Blade is 2-cost Refine. +2 to all slash dice this Scene, while sporting 2 slash dice itself. Their own rolls are bad, and with buff they are merely mediocre. But their tight ranges make genarating Emotion Coins easier, and if you play 2 of those as Sayo...

Sky-Clearing Cut has mixed dice and requires you to lose clash to activate its gimmick. In my opinion, Head-to-Head is more stable and works better with Slash Bleed build.

Scattering Slash is interesting, because it gives 3 Protection this Scene, which allows it to be used as panic button. Evade die is too swingy to be reliable. I do not like it. Any strategy, where I have to rely on Protection seems flawed to me. Maybe in defense-oriented builds, but there are not much things improving evade dice.

Silent Mist. Another Protection-giving card. Mix of attack types, not the best rolls...

Ink Over is an interesting card. It synergies well with Slash and Bleed build, and it gains power depending on amount of cards in hand, which works well for Sayo. I am not sure if it is worth it. In theory, you can use it on History Floor with Happy Memories to reduce costs.

GilliamYaeger posted:

And if you've got Axe up and running on Hod's floor, that goes up to sixteen. That's 31 damage from a single card, in addition to whatever you deal with the attacks themselves.
35 for 3 attacks, actually (16, 11, 8): Bleed rounds up. And if someone attacks more than 3 times in a round (cough... Phillip... cough), then it is even better.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

MiiNiPaa posted:

35 for 3 attacks, actually (16, 11, 8): Bleed rounds up. And if someone attacks more than 3 times in a round (cough... Phillip... cough), then it is even better.
Ah, thank you. I always forget the precise mechanics of bleed...

But yeah Head-to-Head on Sayo is pretty much the prime asskicker of Urban Plague. You can just drown someone in their own blood with it, especially on Hod's floor.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Excellent. Now that we have Sayo, Yesod and Netzach finally have access to their true Key Page.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
I used Hod as a defensive floor, so I can get by without Red Shoes Abnormality card by utilizing Shy Look and Spider Bud.

Unlike with Pierce where all Wedge Office member have Pierce Power +1, Sayo is your only source of Slash Power +1 which limits how many Slash specialist you can build.

I used Ink Over a lot in the next chapter as there's a card that helps set it up. Well, there's only one guest before we open Urban Nightmare.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Your Everyday NEET posted:

I used Hod as a defensive floor, so I can get by without Red Shoes Abnormality card by utilizing Shy Look and Spider Bud.
You should try it as offensive floor. When a roll of 1 turns into 11 (+4 from 2xSharpened Blade, +2 from Look of the day, +1 from Sayo. +3 from Axe) and you crush opposition, at the same time dealing 8 Bleed in a single strike...

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg
A blood-soaked behemoth of a battle, with blistering biting banter from our best bud OMNI!

Really good encounter, solid cards, Sayo seems like a rock-solid keypage. In terms of LP writing, this was probably one of the best non-story-centric fights thus far, with the introduction of Tiphereth's perspective and the firm addition of spectators and outside conversation sources. Definitely a great first example for what I hope will become a regular feature of combat updates going forward. :3:

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

TeeQueue posted:

I'm going to have to let you down, Roland and Zaida are 100% just chilling out eating popcorn for this reception.

I did something dumber..?

NullBlack posted:

So you're only using Steve?

TeeQueue posted:

Steve solo attempt (The thread put me up to this; we do not have the tools we need to succeed right now)

MetaMeme and MiiNiPaa, take note: this is how you talk TeeQueue into doing stupid challenges for the thread.

I promise not to abuse this power.

NullBlack fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 8, 2022

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

NullBlack posted:

MetaMeme and MiiNiPaa, take note: this is how you talk TeeQueue into doing stupid challenges for the thread.
...why did he use Eject of all cards? I'd have understood something blunt since all the Kurokumos are weak to blunt, but pierce of all things? On Sayo's page?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

GilliamYaeger posted:

...why did he use Eject of all cards? I'd have understood something blunt since all the Kurokumos are weak to blunt, but pierce of all things? On Sayo's page?

Two offensive dice that will win against the Kurokumo's pages + 1 extra block die at the end to possibly block the attack from a Clean Up afterwards. Since the problem is taking one-sided attacks, I needed to get as creative as possible to block that last attack.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

TeeQueue posted:

Two offensive dice that will win against the Kurokumo's pages + 1 extra block die at the end to possibly block the attack from a Clean Up afterwards. Since the problem is taking one-sided attacks, I needed to get as creative as possible to block that last attack.
Ah, I see it, yeah. I assume you decided it to be a better choice than Sharpened Blade since 2/3 of the Kumo bosses resist slash?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I basically had to avoid any slash page aside from Sunset Blade because its raw damage output is just "lol."

And even then I probably should have gone with something like Stay Calm or whatnot, it would have been more reliable... but at that point I may as well just use Olga.

e: I'm gonna try something again tonight.

This has officially become very silly.

TeeQueue fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 8, 2022

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Does taking unnamed assistant librarian clerk with you and sacrificing it on the first scene violates "Solo" requirement?

Because Rememberance is good.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

MiiNiPaa posted:

Does taking unnamed assistant librarian clerk with you and sacrificing it on the first scene violates "Solo" requirement?

Because Rememberance is good.

I feel this would violate the spirit of the shitpost, and I am nothing if not absolute in my dedication to the bit. :colbert:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Believe in Steeve! That bug can do do it all!

Wait, what game was this again?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
I am all for seeing a possible Steve solo. He's the perfectly ordinary rock holding Keter together. There's nothing a combat oboist can't do when they put their mind to it.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

GilliamYaeger posted:

A powerful card that isn't worth it due to that crippling 4-cost.

That said, tune back in to this card once we have better drawtech. Ink Over appreciates in value as we're able to pull cards and restore light more efficiently.

Winterdragon2004
Mar 28, 2021

I'll hear that wonderous sound again, even if it has to be from my own two hands

Materant posted:

That said, tune back in to this card once we have better drawtech. Ink Over appreciates in value as we're able to pull cards and restore light more efficiently.

I managed to fight my way through a good half of Urban Plague using a combination of Fascinating Fabric and Ink Over, and it continued to be a strong card throughout the next tier. Definitely my favorite card in the game up to this point.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TeeQueue posted:

I feel this would violate the spirit of the shitpost, and I am nothing if not absolute in my dedication to the bit. :colbert:

Finally we will see the true power of the combat oboe unleashed

PinkDawn
Aug 22, 2021
I cannot believe you actually tried a Steve solo run, holy poo poo.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Finally we will see the true power of the combat oboe unleashed

I'm looking forward to the blow-by-oboe commentary from the peanut gallery!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Keldulas posted:

I literally remember nothing of the Kurokumo cards whatsoever, it's honestly kind of confusing to me. My best guess is that I took them down and then forgot to burn their books...? None of their poo poo is familiar.

Same thing for me, actually - I think I got one Sayo book, saved it for opening up future receptions, and never actually got her page. Which is a shame because I definitely built slash decks which would have loved +1 power.

Evil Kit posted:

Believe in Steeve! That bug can do do it all!

Wait, what game was this again?

Actually I'm pretty sure Steve is the avatar.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I got a lot of use out of Ink Over on many of the fights in the part of the game after Urban Plague. It costing four never bothered me because I only had one copy in any given deck and didn't mind saving it until the second emotion level. Having drawtech in the same deck made it more attractive to me than Tailoring.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

So from your opinion here, the central problem of Hod's floor sounds is that all the good poo poo is in Red, huh? If even one of those central abno cards were a green, it seems like she'd have a much better late game.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Keldulas posted:

So from your opinion here, the central problem of Hod's floor sounds is that all the good poo poo is in Red, huh? If even one of those central abno cards were a green, it seems like she'd have a much better late game.
Not because it is Red, but because Obsession is a -2 Card. Look of the Day is Red too, but it does not have this problem. Same problem with Malkuth and Display of Affection.
Basically, there is :wtf: mechanic regarding which cards will be avaliable for picking. I assume there would be even bigger problem with it later and TQ is waiting until that moment to explain, how it screws you over. Either that or he just trying to avoid explaining it as long, as possible.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
Yeah it's the -2 weighting on Obsession that cripples her. It basically means you need more red coins than green coins if you want to see it come up, which in turn means you need to deliberately build your nuggets around getting it. For context, in order to reliably get a -2 II card I needed to gimp all but one of my nuggets by slapping garbage cards like Opportunity Spotted on them and have them lose every clash I could. And Obsession is such a powerful card because it boosts your entire team, so doing that basically renders it useless.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Kind of disappointing, but at least it's not strictly necessary given that I managed to finish the game just fine without knowing this poo poo.

Granted, that's probably because some of the other floors can get up to some really silly bullshit.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Keldulas posted:

Kind of disappointing, but at least it's not strictly necessary given that I managed to finish the game just fine without knowing this poo poo.

Granted, that's probably because some of the other floors can get up to some really silly bullshit.
It's not really that big a deal in the long run, yeah. It's just a real shame since no other floor has the bleed compatibility that Hod does, and because she kind of lacks a niche outside of it she kind of just becomes useless after a certain point.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Qrr posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure Steve is the avatar.

I'm talking about Steeve over here, not Steve c'mon now.

it is a DRG joke because that's how my brain works

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Is Look of the Day also -2? If not, it sounds like you can get the +4-6 power to slash part going then, even if you can't bleed as well.

Still sucks that due to weird design you really can't make proper use of Obsession though.

And yeah I get that her floor ends up kind of hurting for getting weaker over time.

Ashardalon125
Apr 14, 2021
I personally really love the new decks. A while back, I restarted my save of Ruina, and between this, and the Rusted Chains, my Hod floor basically carried me all the way through the end of the next chapter. Rule of the Backstreets is an okay draw (gets replaced with a better one later), and Clean Up is good light recovery that synergizes well with bleed and slash synergies.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Keldulas posted:

Is Look of the Day also -2? If not, it sounds like you can get the +4-6 power to slash part going then, even if you can't bleed as well.

Still sucks that due to weird design you really can't make proper use of Obsession though.

And yeah I get that her floor ends up kind of hurting for getting weaker over time.
I'm not quite certain on the exact mechanics of how the abnormality card draws work, and I've definitely forgotten what the emotional level caps are for each given unlock level, but I think I've got enough of a general idea of it to explain it.

Look of the day is -0, so it's pretty common - there's six abnormality cards of the first two tiers, each weighted at +2, +1, +0, -0, -1, -2. You get higher + cards if you're doing well and have more green coins, and lower - cards if you're doing poorly and have more red coins. Since you get three cards on each draw and draw from each tier twice, you're basically guaranteed to see both the -0 and +0 of each tier in a given fight (even if you're all the way green, there's only three green cards so the second abnormality card pull will bring up the -0 card). Axe, however, is -1, so if you're doing really well and are all the way in the green it won't show up at all.

With Shy Look and Red Shoes, Hod has the +2, -0, -1 and -2 I cards and the +1, -2 II cards, so you'll have four I cards and two II cards. This means that you will always see all of the I cards, and Obsession will always show up in your II draw. This is Hod's most powerful form. Spider Bud adds the +1 I card and the +0 and +2 II cards. This brings the I pool up to 5 cards (so one of the five cards will potentially not be one of the four drawn) and the II pool up to 4 cards (meaning that you'll get all the cards on your second draw). Since Axe is the -1 and the less useful Glitter is the -2, that means that if you're doing perfectly in a fight and have all greens you'll almost definitely get Axe on your second card draw. Spider Bud makes things a bit slower since you have to draw twice on each tier to get the Look/Axe/Obsession wombo combo up and running, but it's still functional. Hod can still cut a bitch.

But then we add in the next couple of Abnormalities, which will fill out the rest of the I and II cards. This changes everything. Suddenly we've got two full pools of six cards, meaning that two cards will not show up in each tier. If you're doing well and are all green, this means that the cards that will show up are +2, +1, +0, and -0. -1 and -2 will become Sirs Not Appearing In This Fight. Axe is -1, so it won't show up unless you're getting your rear end kicked. Obsession is -2, so it won't show up unless you're getting absolutely destroyed. So functionally, they both cease to exist in any reliable fashion. But hey, at least you still have Look of the Day, right...?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You say this as if the cards from this fourth Abnormality aren't good picks in and of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Junpei posted:

You say this as if the cards from this fourth Abnormality aren't good picks in and of themselves.
We'll have to take this to the Lobcorp/Ruina general thread if we want to discuss this in any further detail before we see said Abnormality, but Axe and Obsession are objectively Hod's two best Abnormality cards, hell I'd say Obsession's one of the best Abnormality cards in the entire game because it's both ridiculously powerful and functionally has no downside, and give her a powerful niche that no other floor fills quite as well. Anything that causes her to lose access to them is a major downgrade.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 9, 2022