Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I almost named my puppy Rex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I have a dog named Max, the #1 most common dog name of all time. It was his shelter name and we just never changed it.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
My puppy has begun to...point? :confused: I'll try to get a picture of it

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
He's not pointing to anything useful. He pointed at some deer, a rabbit, a cricket and the vacuum cleaner

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Maybe has a bit of pointer or some other hunting dog in there.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

He's not pointing to anything useful. He pointed at some deer, a rabbit, a cricket and the vacuum cleaner
I was sure mine was a pointer mix but it turns out she's a Weimaraner mix. Was really bummed cause I wanted to teach her to point at bicycles :(

edit:

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 14, 2015

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I was sure mine was a pointer mix but it turns out she's a Weimaraner mix. Was really bummed cause I wanted to teach her to point at bicycles :(

:confused: weims are HPR/versatile (pointing!) gun dogs. The English pointer isn't the only pointer.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Invalid Octopus posted:

:confused: weims are HPR/versatile (pointing!) gun dogs. The English pointer isn't the only pointer.

Huh, figured it was just pointers. Neat.

Pointing is so cool :allears:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
He (Pax Americana Ghirardelli, the puppy) is from a litter born in a shelter in rural Mississippi. Beyond that he has some lab in him, no clue what he is mixed with

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Hackles raised

Tramii
Jun 22, 2005

He's a hawk. A hawk. Can't you tell just by looking at him?
Argh! Finnegan bit one of his doggy daycare workers today. He's never bitten anyone before, so it came as quite a shock. Apparently, it was a new employee who had only been working there for a few weeks. He was nervous when I dropped him off but he was fine with the employee working the front desk. He knew her from previous visits and allowed her to pick him up and take him into the back.

But like 20 minutes later, I got a phone call that he had bit a new employee on the face. They said she was attempting to move him into the common play area and when she went in to pick him up, he got scared and he put four puncture marks on her face. I guess he was afraid because the daycare said it was a fear-based reaction. I wasn't there so I can only go by what they told me.

They weren't mad or anything, but just said for safety reasons I needed to come and pick him up right away. Now I'm not sure what to do going forward. I apologized and asked if the employee would be ok, but I don't know if I should try to write a letter or drop off an apology gift basket or something. I'm guessing I should go ahead and look for a new daycare place. We don't need daycare very often, but sometimes my wife and I are both busy and need a place we can drop him off for the day.

Anyone been in a similar situation and can offer advice?

Here is the viscous little beast in question.

Tramii fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 15, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sort of. I was picking up Hana, when one of the employees told me that she'd tried to bite one of them, as they tried to move her out of the way and she'd gotten as far as getting hold of her arm before realizing what she was doing. He told me that they often grab the bigger dogs by the hips and move them back and that's when she turned around.
Next day in the park, I tested it..she was busy with a toy, so I grabbed her hips and right away her head came around with the mouth open. She didn't get close before she realized that it was me and also straight away recognized that it was wrong.
After that, I went through a period of in general desensitizing her from being grabbed/touched/held and random times. She would eat and I would pull her hips, grab her leg, etc...same when playing, etc. I would deliberately try to surprise her and very quickly she stopped reacting, other than giving me a 'WTF?' look.
I checked with the daycare a few weeks later and there had been no issues since that day.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Daycare workers aren't renowned for being the most dog savvy people in the world. Some are downright irresponsible (and some are great). I'd suspect he was being handled poorly. Holding a strange dog close enough to you that it can reach your face? WTF? I wouldn't feel GUILTY per se, for these reasons. But, well, your dog has bitten someone now and you should do something about it.

I'd get as much information about the incident from the daycare are possible. Then I'd contact a behaviourist and take it from there.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Sort of. I was picking up Hana, when one of the employees told me that she'd tried to bite one of them, as they tried to move her out of the way and she'd gotten as far as getting hold of her arm before realizing what she was doing. He told me that they often grab the bigger dogs by the hips and move them back and that's when she turned around.
Next day in the park, I tested it..she was busy with a toy, so I grabbed her hips and right away her head came around with the mouth open. She didn't get close before she realized that it was me and also straight away recognized that it was wrong.
After that, I went through a period of in general desensitizing her from being grabbed/touched/held and random times. She would eat and I would pull her hips, grab her leg, etc...same when playing, etc. I would deliberately try to surprise her and very quickly she stopped reacting, other than giving me a 'WTF?' look.
I checked with the daycare a few weeks later and there had been no issues since that day.

Should I do this with my puppy to make sure he doesn't fear bite? He starts puppy class tomorrow evening.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
So, I found Pax's original shelter and his history. His mother was a purebred black hunting lab, and his father was some random retriver/hunting dog. He was from an unplanned litter, so they sent them up north as part of an anti-puppy mill campaign. He is going to be 60-100 lbs full grown :stare:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Flickr over-sharpened the gently caress outta these photos and I'm real mad.

But hey. Proof I haven't killed Theo yet. :haw:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The daycare person handled the dog in a way to make them scared so they bit them out of fear. I would have thought that being nipped would be part of the job but no it seems every dog that bites is a man eater.

Or at least a dog eater

Tramii
Jun 22, 2005

BigPaddy posted:

The daycare person handled the dog in a way to make them scared so they bit them out of fear. I would have thought that being nipped would be part of the job but no it seems every dog that bites is a man eater.

Well, I just talked to the manager at the daycare and this is pretty much it. They still want us to keep bringing Finn, so they clearly don't think he's a monster or anything. The story is that he was nervous/scared and the person tried to pick him up and he freaked out. So yeah, she didn't come out and say it, but it sounds like human error. Luckily, the employee is fine and wasn't seriously injured.

We will be bringing treats from now on to the daycare so new employees he hasn't met yet can introduce themselves in a positive way.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
So, someone at puppy class asked if Pax was a lab/pitbull mix. I know that his mom was a registered black working lab, and that they had an intact chocolate lab at the neighbors that may be one of the fathers of the litter. However, all of his siblings look different. How can I tell if he is part pit bull? I'm getting a wisdom panel done, which may take a few weeks. Is a lab/pit mix safe?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

He doesn't look super pitty to me. I'm trying to figure out how best to answer your question about whether it's safe to have a lab/pit. It's as safe as any other dog, really. If your dog develops potentially harmful behaviour, address it early on with someone who knows what they're doing. Your dog may not love other dogs and may not be well suited to being unleashed with them. It may have a high prey drive. That's not really something specific to pits, but dogs in general. Don't be dumb with your dog, and it's as safe as the next one, regardless of breed/mix. :)

Like, pits are serious dogs. I don't want to downplay that. But I wouldn't worry too much about that and just see how your puppy develops. And, again, don't be dumb.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Looks mostly Lab to me, the only thing that would make me guess it was a mix is the white on the paws since labs don't have that, at least I have never seen it. As for the pitbull thing as a life less said just keep an eye on how he develops and nip anything you don't want him doing in the bud asap. Tanky has a little bit of pitbull in her and you can see it in the way she stands and the shape of her body but so far as mainly shown a lot more bullmastiff behavior (pinning down other dogs while playing and not biting and some guarding instinct). For example:

Really the worst thing that will happen is someone will think you are white trash/gangster for having a murder dog that eats children every day! Something you can ignore as it immediately marks the owner of that view as a moron.

Look it has a bit of Pitbull in it and is going to kill us all!

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I will love my :banjo: puppy regardless. I'm just pretty cautious when it comes to animals. Also, he is learning and building on basic obedience stuff now...would teaching him stuff like "give paw" or playing scent games get in the way of basic obedience or reinforce it? Overall he is a pretty good dog

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

I will love my :banjo: puppy regardless. I'm just pretty cautious when it comes to animals. Also, he is learning and building on basic obedience stuff now...would teaching him stuff like "give paw" or playing scent games get in the way of basic obedience or reinforce it? Overall he is a pretty good dog

The more you teach your puppy to learn, the better he will be at it as he grows.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

I'm going to be moving in July and starting my first adult full-time job in August. I currently have a cat (so horrible that my parents, who owned her before me, paid me 500 dollars to take her away from them), but I've always been a dog person and am thinking about getting a dog. The problem is that I'm going to be a first-year teacher, so I'll be leaving at 7-7:30 in the morning and not getting back until 5. I don't want a puppy, and I'm not picky about breeds, though a big dog would be nice. Is my schedule completely incompatible with having a dog? My dream would be to train the dog to be a therapy dog and bring it to school with me, so nervous readers (I'm going to be a SPED English teacher) can read to the dog instead.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It isn't great for a puppy but an older dog would be fine. I would have a dog walker come by however and 1-2 days a week at day care to break it all up.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Aida why won't you let me sleep! ! !

She was sleeping in bed with me and would wake me up a couple times week at like three am with something random to bark at.

In response I switched her to sleeping in her crate after loving and cuddles and she would sleep quietly all night. Until last night. Three am, whine bark repeat.

I went to let her out for a walk and her response was drink water then get back into my bed.

I make sure she gets a nice walk before bed/dinner a well, but this is getting annoying.

Why won't you let me sleep dog?!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

My puppy, at 13 weeks old tomorrow, already knows sit, down, touch, paw, tug, drop, leave it and wait. :) Never too young to learn all of that.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Pinball posted:

I'm going to be moving in July and starting my first adult full-time job in August. I currently have a cat (so horrible that my parents, who owned her before me, paid me 500 dollars to take her away from them), but I've always been a dog person and am thinking about getting a dog. The problem is that I'm going to be a first-year teacher, so I'll be leaving at 7-7:30 in the morning and not getting back until 5. I don't want a puppy, and I'm not picky about breeds, though a big dog would be nice. Is my schedule completely incompatible with having a dog? My dream would be to train the dog to be a therapy dog and bring it to school with me, so nervous readers (I'm going to be a SPED English teacher) can read to the dog instead.

I usually leave the house around 6:15 and get home sometime between 4:30 and 5 and my dogs are fine. If you get a big lazy breed it should be fine, but something high energy might get destructive left to his own devices for that long (ask me how I lost my deposit on an apartment from my dog chewing holes in the walls).

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Pax and I found a fox den this evening

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
When do pups usually start losing their baby teeth?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Mine started at about 3 months.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

BigPaddy posted:

Mine started at about 3 months.

Any more tanky pics? :3:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Just the ones over in the GiP dogge thread

Tanky proving she is the best puppy by winning best puppy

Then it was time to murder the gently caress out of a golden retriever*

* not really

Time to get some chewing in

After such a busy day it is nap o'clock on mums butt

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Can a four month old puppy walk a mile with me?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
There's a small, shallow swimming hole that I would like to visit with him (I'm going to get him a little life vest, and let him go into the water if he desires), but it's a 1.2 mile walk/hike from the parking area. Is this too much for a 4 month old?

Tramii
Jun 22, 2005

There's a small, shallow swimming hole that I would like to visit with him (I'm going to get him a little life vest, and let him go into the water if he desires), but it's a 1.2 mile walk/hike from the parking area. Is this too much for a 4 month old?

1) Does he have all of his shots yet?

2) I would either be prepared to carry him part of the way or bring along a wagon that he could ride in.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Tramii posted:

1) Does he have all of his shots yet?

2) I would either be prepared to carry him part of the way or bring along a wagon that he could ride in.

Yep. we actually have a little red wagon that we use to haul mulch that he could ride in, that's a good idea :)

I'm hoping he will follow someone else's dog into the water (the place is full of kids and dogs in the summer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I really don't "get" Kongs. I bought one for my dog. She seems to detest the rubbery taste. If I put something particularly delicious inside, like homemade liver cake for dogs, she will try to get it out for a few minutes, but she usually gives up. Maybe they only work for large breeds? Her jaws don't have the force necessary to squeeze what's inside out, and the hole is too small for her snout, so she can only lick inside or maybe shake it and pick it up, but it doesn't seem like she gives a poo poo. I'm not sure what's supposed to be so good about them.