Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

silvergoose posted:

Ahahahaha GoG like that'll happen.

:smith:
It is written in the book of prophecies that one day GoG will be released and the wargamers will rejoice. It is one of the signs of the coming of the Boardgaming Anti-Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Myself I'm pretty pumped for Navajo Wars, The Hunters, Unconditional Surrender, Operation Dauntless, Churchill and No Retreat 2. I'm somewhat surprised there's really nothing euro-ish I'd be looking forward to.

It probably doesn't really count, but I'm also wishing that 2nd printing of Flash Point: Fire Rescue finally hits my country.

I'm also looking forward to reading Internet comments about 1914: Serbien muss Sterbien.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oh yeah, the hunters looks ace. I bought Steel Wolves but it dissapoints.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

GrandpaPants posted:

I know that every time I play Talisman, I wish I could get mauled by a bear instead.
So the comparison with beer, bacon and sports still stands.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Tippis posted:

Oh shush. Talisman works great with bacon, bear and sports. It's the same kind of spectacle. :D

I know you meant "beer," but this typo conjures a great mental image.

EDIT: ^^^ beaten to the punch it seems

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mauled by a Bear: the crazy animal rampage game for the whole family.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tekopo posted:

I'm envisioning an Arkham Horror reskin — this session, you must defeat… THE PANDA! …using your BUCKET AND SPADE!

(…and I didn't even notice the typo. My RandomExcuse 8-Ball says “blame autocorrect” — that one will work, right? Right? :eng99:)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Tekopo posted:

This is close enough to an excuse to post everyone's favorite box art

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Countblanc posted:

This is close enough to an excuse to post everyone's favorite box art

Every game of Caylus I've ever played has been at least 10 minutes. Technically accurate.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The guy has made a few others, which are all great so I'm gonna share them for people who may have not seen them before.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Do any of you know of good gateway games for little kids? Though he is definitely on the young side, my 5 year old nephew has apparently been expressing interest in some of the old games I left at my parent's house. I know there probably isn't much that is good for that age group, but I figured I would check. I picked up a copy of Kids of Carcassonne that we can hopefully play while I am back for the holidays and am hoping there are a couple of other options there.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Thanks for the Space Alert recommendation, Board Game Thread. We've been playing the crap out of it for a few days now. The talking computer idea is genius. Any other games use something similar? We have mostly been playing with the mission generator phone app -- once it moves from a prerecorded CD to a phone, the possibilities for a game with a more complicated mission generator seem huge.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Does anyone know if this deal on Dominion Base cards would be a good buy if I already have the Dominion Big Box in my shopping cart? Could anyone explain what the base cards are and what they do?

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

SERPUS posted:

Does anyone know if this deal on Dominion Base cards would be a good buy if I already have the Dominion Big Box in my shopping cart? Could anyone explain what the base cards are and what they do?

They basically exist so you can play the expansions without having to buy the Big Box. Prior to its existence, the base components of the game (Copper/Silver/Gold, Duchies/Provinces/Estates, etc.) could only be obtained in the Big Box, which meant you had to own it to play Dominion.

Now, if you want, you could just buy the Base Set and a single expansion and be able to get a game going.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
They're also a lot prettier than the default core cards, so there's that too.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it already, but the guy who makes the UFBRT board game reviews just posted some new videos after a year long hiatus. His videos are short and concise, and his Space Alert review sold me on the game.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

taqueso posted:

Thanks for the Space Alert recommendation, Board Game Thread. We've been playing the crap out of it for a few days now. The talking computer idea is genius. Any other games use something similar? We have mostly been playing with the mission generator phone app -- once it moves from a prerecorded CD to a phone, the possibilities for a game with a more complicated mission generator seem huge.

Escape: Curse of the Temple?The actual meat of the game looks pretty blah IMO.

There's at least two seperate Space-Alert style timed-coop games coming out, Damage Report and Space Cadets.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Baron Porkface posted:

What's wrong with playing CITOW with 5 players?

In my opinion, the expansion is rear end. Nurgle's new power set sucks, the Horned Rat is underwhelming, Tzeentch and Slaanesh are admittedly pretty cool and Khorne is also underpowered, except it has one upgrade so overpowered that it's on the same power level as Tzeentch and Slaanesh. Possibly worst of all IMO, the new powers are on average better at getting points for the top 3, meaning that the game is far more likely to end on a points victory, apparently on average a turn earlier.

Other people like the expansion, but I'm pretty miffed about how bad it is in comparison to the base set. Many flashy new abilities that together aren't as balanced as the original ones.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 4, 2012

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Anybody know anybody in the Hampton Roads area? Ive been dying to game lately.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Wazzu posted:

In my opinion, the expansion is rear end. Nurgle's new power set sucks, the Horned Rat is underwhelming, Tzeentch and Slaanesh are admittedly pretty cool and Khorne is also underpowered, except it has one upgrade so overpowered that it's on the same power level as Tzeentch and Slaanesh. Possibly worst of all IMO, the new powers are on average better at getting points for the top 3, meaning that the game is far more likely to end on a points victory, apparently on average a turn earlier.

Other people like the expansion, but I'm pretty miffed about how bad it is in comparison to the base set. Many flashy new abilities that together aren't as balanced as the original ones.

I totally agree with this. Though I also realized we've been determining which areas are adjacent wrong the whole time we've played it.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

If you're taking about Khornes ability to summon a free Bloodthirster to 6 corruption areas he can't teleport across the board and must follow the normal summoning rules.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

In Last Night on Earth is there any benefit to heroes having zombie cards other than simply depriving the zombies of having them? We can't figure out why you would want them as a start item.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

dishwasherlove posted:

If you're taking about Khornes ability to summon a free Bloodthirster to 6 corruption areas he can't teleport across the board and must follow the normal summoning rules.

No they're probably talking about the one where Bloodletters get you 2 VP whenever they kill something.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Aerox posted:

They basically exist so you can play the expansions without having to buy the Big Box. Prior to its existence, the base components of the game (Copper/Silver/Gold, Duchies/Provinces/Estates, etc.) could only be obtained in the Big Box, which meant you had to own it to play Dominion.

Now, if you want, you could just buy the Base Set and a single expansion and be able to get a game going.
Which is nice if your buddy already owns the main game (and Intrigue) so you don't want to buy those, but you'd rather not just buy an expansion and not be able to play it on your own.

Also, some people complain that the base cards wear out faster than the rest of the cards because they're used every game. This allows them to be recognized from the back, allowing you to cheat if you're mindful of that sort of thing. Personally I never notice it, but I guess if you don't want to sleeve your cards (or you didn't realize this issue until the cards were already worn, and now you cry when you see their faded faces) you can buy the base cards expansion.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

General Battuta posted:

No they're probably talking about the one where Bloodletters get you 2 VP whenever they kill something.

This is a brutal upgrade in dire need of houseruling. Also brutal is Nurgle's extra-corruption upgrade, as even a single surviving cultist becomes a dial token.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

Well the one thing I like about CitOW is that everyone is usually one turn off of victory when the game ends.

SpinyNorman867
Jan 5, 2006
".....Dinsdale?"
Just watched Tom Vasal's "Top 100 Games of All Time" (11-1). I never considered myself a board game snob, but hell if I don't feel like one now. It's cool that he can articulate why he likes the games he's chosen. That's respectable enough. But even in instances where I like the game he's talking about, I disagree with his reasoning. The whole time he was making his case for each game I just felt...yuck.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I've played CitOW with the expansion a LOT, and I think that it definitely does not need any houseruling to be balanced. I'm pretty sure I've won at least once as every god and the rest of my playgroup win regularly as various gods also. Nurgle is just a tiny bit underpowered, but that's about it.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

dishwasherlove posted:

Well the one thing I like about CitOW is that everyone is usually one turn off of victory when the game ends.

In one game of CitOW I played recently, I was racing to the 50 point mark, got dragged back by my opponents who saw it coming, juuuuust got past it, then two other players beat my score after we finished scoring ruinations :rolldice:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

SpinyNorman867 posted:

Just watched Tom Vasal's "Top 100 Games of All Time" (11-1). I never considered myself a board game snob, but hell if I don't feel like one now. It's cool that he can articulate why he likes the games he's chosen. That's respectable enough. But even in instances where I like the game he's talking about, I disagree with his reasoning. The whole time he was making his case for each game I just felt...yuck.

I love that Tom Vasel still loves the poo poo out of Duel of Ages. Also, looking at that Top 10, dude loves his tactical games. Cosmic Encounter is an, uh, interesting choice though.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

SpinyNorman867 posted:

Tom Vasel is like a giant in real life. You can't tell from his videos but he is huge. I had printed out a long list of grievances I had against him including such gems as not wanting to play Ascension because it was about killing God and how Dominant Species is a bad game because evolution doesn't exist, but then I took one look at him and decided it would be best if I just silently judged him from afar. I'm waiting for the day a true hero will rise up against him...

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

Kiranamos posted:

Tom Vasel is like a giant in real life. You can't tell from his videos but he is huge. I had printed out a long list of grievances I had against him including such gems as not wanting to play Ascension because it was about killing God and how Dominant Species is a bad game because evolution doesn't exist, but then I took one look at him and decided it would be best if I just silently judged him from afar. I'm waiting for the day a true hero will rise up against him...

Where did he say this about Dominant Species? His Dice Tower video review of DS is nothing short of glowing, even for him.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Triple-Kan posted:

Where did he say this about Dominant Species? His Dice Tower video review of DS is nothing short of glowing, even for him.

It was in an old podcast episode. It was mainly the wargamer cohost that was appalled though.

SpinyNorman867
Jan 5, 2006
".....Dinsdale?"

GrandpaPants posted:

I love that Tom Vasel still loves the poo poo out of Duel of Ages. Also, looking at that Top 10, dude loves his tactical games. Cosmic Encounter is an, uh, interesting choice though.

Yeah, I can sorta respect that he's made his decisions based on some kind of logic (or something). Those decisions just gross me out anyway. I wish he would just commit to being a full on cretinous grognard so I could deride him easier. Yeah, I'm a terrible person.

Also he's apparently a giant, so there go my plans to shame him in a crushingly awkward public wrestling match.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

I didn't know so many people wanted the fight Tom Vassel.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

dishwasherlove posted:

I didn't know so many people wanted the fight Tom Vassel.

Nerds wanting to beat up other nerds, always a good show.

I'd totally fight Tom Vasel

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Crackbone posted:

Escape: Curse of the Temple?The actual meat of the game looks pretty blah IMO.

There's at least two seperate Space-Alert style timed-coop games coming out, Damage Report and Space Cadets.

Anything else not space related? The last two look like they might be really similar to Space Alert. It seems like the timed game system could apply to lots of genres. It wouldn't have to be coop, either. It could be done with cards and some kind of timer instead of a soundtrack. (I think there is a timer in Damage Report IIRC)

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

taqueso posted:

Anything else not space related? The last two look like they might be really similar to Space Alert. It seems like the timed game system could apply to lots of genres. It wouldn't have to be coop, either. It could be done with cards and some kind of timer instead of a soundtrack. (I think there is a timer in Damage Report IIRC)

Red November maybe? No CD, but it's the same sort of co-op, repair everything, keeps getting worse, time is your enemy experience, albeit with somewhat more abstracted time mechanics (compared to Space Alert).

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

tonedef131 posted:

In Last Night on Earth is there any benefit to heroes having zombie cards other than simply depriving the zombies of having them? We can't figure out why you would want them as a start item.

It's been a little while since I've played, but I don't recall a way for heroes to get zombie cards as a start item, nor could they use them if they had them. Is this from a scenario or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Anyone know if there's any recent games like Ambush? (Solitaire, card-based, war)

• Locked thread