Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

The Mattybee posted:

So I'm looking at making a modpack for me and (probably) a set of friends to play with.

First of all, I have no idea how to go about doing this, other than that it's easier nowadays with the Technic stuff. :shobon: Second, I have kind of an idea for things I want - AE, Tinker's, TE - but I don't know if there are any other mods that people consider Absolutely Essential.

It's not always the hottest performing mod, but Mekanism is extremely useful since its digital miner is in my opinion the best, easiest to learn automated mining tool in the game. It's also super versatile: if you want to mine something specific without making a big hole you can set filters, if you want a big hole you can set it to mine everything in a certain radius, if you want to flatten all the blocks above a certain height, or if you want to get rid of a certain block in an area and replace it with something else, it has you covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Altran posted:

Ok, back with checking which mod is lagging my world.

I am using Opis, but the [Overlay: mean time] doesn't show anything for me, watching direwolf's spotlight, [Overlay: mean time] should show me what is making my tps so high.
Also, When I type /forge tps, the game says I don't have permission to use it, I am on my own single player server drat it!
I suspect these two are related...

Try /opis_start, then let it run for a minute or until it stops itself, then type /opis_te and it'll show you the 20 laggiest tile entities in a nice list. Click on any of them to teleport to them.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Altran posted:

Ok, back with checking which mod is lagging my world.

I am using Opis, but the [Overlay: mean time] doesn't show anything for me, watching direwolf's spotlight, [Overlay: mean time] should show me what is making my tps so high.
Also, When I type /forge tps, the game says I don't have permission to use it, I am on my own single player server drat it!
I suspect these two are related...

Profiled information(like the mean time overlay) only works after running opis, which you do with /opis_start.

If you have TE, /cofh tps should work, you don't need any special permissions for it.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013
Thanks guys :) I ll try /opis_te.
What is TE?
Do you know why I don't have permission to /forge tps my own single player game?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Altran posted:

What is TE?
Do you know why I don't have permission to /forge tps my own single player game?

You probably have to have cheats enabled when you start the world. I dunno though, I never touch SSP.

TE is Thermal Expansion. In Opis, "te" is "tile entity", which in MC terms basically means a block that is more than just a plain block. Machines etc are tile entities.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Altran posted:

What is TE?

TE stands for tile entity, aka chests, furnaces, most any block that does stuff.

A single-player game doesn't let you use certain commands unless cheats are enabled.

E:f;b

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Thanks, luckily I had a backup of the save that wasn't too old. I copied in the level.dat from that backup save and recovered it. I was only missing a few things that I'd collected in the interim.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Figured I'd try and see if I could live with sphax but I just couldn't do it. Half of the textures were missing and the nail in the coffin was the game would drop from 100+ fps to 15 whenever I drew my bow. THat's some serious flipping lag. Plus gently caress jawa villagers :colbert:

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
What texture pack do you all recommend? I have a hard time finding one I like because most of them clash pretty badly with stuff like Chisel's blocks.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

What texture pack do you all recommend? I have a hard time finding one I like because most of them clash pretty badly with stuff like Chisel's blocks.

Most of Chisel's textures are based on ones from the Painterly Pack so if you want to match Chisel you can't really go wrong if you go that route. I feel like it matches default 16x16 stuff pretty well too from other mods, or at least doesn't clash too much.

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
Is there anything that will help me identify why my FPS drops in certain areas? The base I'm in has recently started making the FPS drop to the point where it gives me a headache just being around it.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Cerevisiae posted:

Is there anything that will help me identify why my FPS drops in certain areas? The base I'm in has recently started making the FPS drop to the point where it gives me a headache just being around it.

I don't think anything can profile rendering yet from within minecraft, but what is typically in the areas where the FPS drop occurs. I can likely get a good idea of what might be causing the FPS drop.

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010
Just a warning: I recommend NOT growing MFR's Sacred Rubber Tree Saplings. Seriously.

The tainted chunks in this map should give you a good idea how stupidly massive that *single* tree is.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

ZarquonHigardi posted:

Just a warning: I recommend NOT growing MFR's Sacred Rubber Tree Saplings. Seriously.

The tainted chunks in this map should give you a good idea how stupidly massive that *single* tree is.

This has to be some sort of joke.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
That's amazing. Also, glad I'm not the only one to put a smoker on top of a smeltery.

Reference to RP2's rubber trees perhaps? In any case it's hilarious.

Macropiper
Feb 11, 2007

Pillbug

ZarquonHigardi posted:

What happens if you use treecapitator on it?

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
This may be a stupid question too, but re: modpacks - do you still have to worry about ID collisions? If so, what's the best way to deal with this?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

The Mattybee posted:

This may be a stupid question too, but re: modpacks - do you still have to worry about ID collisions? If so, what's the best way to deal with this?

If you're using someone else's mod pack, then, in theory, they have already solved all these and it's not your concern. When creating on, however, yes, they are absolutely still a concern.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Serifina posted:

If you're using someone else's mod pack, then, in theory, they have already solved all these and it's not your concern. When creating on, however, yes, they are absolutely still a concern.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuughhhh.

What's the best way to solve this stupid, stupid problem?

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

The Mattybee posted:

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuughhhh.

What's the best way to solve this stupid, stupid problem?

I used idfix minus and it worked fine for me.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1928632-164smpforge-idfix-and-idfix-minus-mods-for-resolving-id-conflicts/

It's really easy to use. You just install all your desired mods, put this fixer in the mod foldier, run minecraft, remove the fixer from the mod folder, and you're good to go! If you add any mods afterwards you'll have to change the id's yourself, though, to prevent id match issues.

e: As a bonus the program also creates a file listing the id's of every block for future reference. Which is very helpful if you do want to add mods after the fact.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 13, 2014

Silus
Dec 28, 2012

If you put the mods in the standard minecraft launcher one at a time, it will generate a text file with ID conflicts listed, and you can manually fix them that way in the config settings for the conflicting mods.
I just did this last night, though the strange part was that it was Biomes O Plenty conflicting with itself on four IDs. :confused:

The automated program sounds like a better first attempt though, if it works you're golden without having to do manual edits at all.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Silus posted:

If you put the mods in the standard minecraft launcher one at a time, it will generate a text file with ID conflicts listed, and you can manually fix them that way in the config settings for the conflicting mods.
I just did this last night, though the strange part was that it was Biomes O Plenty conflicting with itself on four IDs. :confused:

The automated program sounds like a better first attempt though, if it works you're golden without having to do manual edits at all.

The automated program caused me a bunch of problems in the NST 1.6 pack. I'd recommend against it. Manually assign IDs, use something to keep track of which IDs are which. If you don't, the pain later will be worse than it needs to be.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

ZarquonHigardi posted:

That just makes me want to grow one.

Erogenous Beef
Dec 20, 2006

i know the filthy secrets of your heart

McFrugal posted:

This has to be some sort of joke.

Nope. Skyboy's been chuckling about it in IRC for a few weeks now. Apparently he also rewrote the MFR Harvester so it could chomp on sacred rubber tree-size objects without lagging the poo poo out of servers.

Edit:

Cerevisiae posted:

I've found this is usually the fault of modmakers using a Tile Entity Special Renderer to add graphical flair to stuff. Anything that's 3D that animates/lights up/changes in realtime is usually a TESR. They permit modmakers to do raw OpenGL drawing and, since they're used for animating/changing poo poo, there's generally little/no caching. A few are OK, a lot can make stuff very laggy.

If you're using a lot of advanced Mekanism stuff, that could be it. Mek overuses TESRs, in my opinion. Universal cable, energy cubes, etc. - all TESRs.

It's possible to make stuff change/animate without using one, but requires a lot more code. Thermal Expansion does this with its machines.

Can you hit F3, walk around and pay attention to which machines/objects are on screen? It should be possible to narrow it down to small areas, within which you can try removing poo poo to cure the lag.

Erogenous Beef fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 13, 2014

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Erogenous Beef posted:

Nope. Skyboy's been chuckling about it in IRC for a few weeks now. Apparently he also rewrote the MFR Harvester so it could chomp on sacred rubber tree-size objects without lagging the poo poo out of servers.

Wouldn't growing one lag a server something fierce, though? I mean, I look at that thing and I can just see the TPS dipping down low into single digits while generating. :)

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Cerevisiae posted:

Could it be microblocks?

Scorpion 3-2
Apr 2, 2011

ZarquonHigardi posted:

This is just awesome! I hope they remain unchanged.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

fondue posted:

Could it be microblocks?

I also have his problem, I don't have 'microblocks' in the mod folder, but in minecraft home screen -> mods -> scroll down I see 'forge microblocks', is that mod part of forge?

Heffer
May 1, 2003

ZarquonHigardi posted:

I dont get it. What is the point of this monster?

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
The only things really around are Thaumcraft's essentia tubes and jars, alembics, an infernal furnace, an infusion altar, a Tinkers Construct smeltery, and any amount of those things that the neighbors have built.

Scorpion 3-2
Apr 2, 2011

Heffer posted:

I think he wrote it to test his new harvester code he said it can be chopped down entirely with the harvester.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Heffer posted:

Imagine a city inside it.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Cerevisiae posted:

The only things really around are Thaumcraft's essentia tubes and jars, alembics, an infernal furnace, an infusion altar, a Tinkers Construct smeltery, and any amount of those things that the neighbors have built.

You made a 1000 block high mega house again didn't you!

Cerevisiae
Jul 19, 2009

I'll protect you, Mayor!
Of course I did, but it was fine at it's full height and only started getting bad in the past day or so.

Mutamu
Aug 10, 2011

He's Doctor, (pause), Doctor Shark!
Essentia tubes are kind of laggy, potentially.

Use Opis?? :shrug:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Altran posted:

I also have his problem, I don't have 'microblocks' in the mod folder, but in minecraft home screen -> mods -> scroll down I see 'forge microblocks', is that mod part of forge?

Some mods require it, and download it automatically, most notably TE.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Cerevisiae posted:

Of course I did, but it was fine at it's full height and only started getting bad in the past day or so.

What have you added recently to the area. I want to say the issues are either the essentia tubes, essentia jars, or alembics but I'm going to have to check something to be completely sure. Also a preemptive gently caress you to TESR and the minecraft rendering engine.

ZarquonHigardi
Mar 27, 2010

Macropiper posted:

What happens if you use treecapitator on it?

Believe me, that was the first thing I tried. :v:
The effect was about what you'd expect: crash the ever-loving gently caress out of the server

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Wouldn't growing one lag a server something fierce, though? I mean, I look at that thing and I can just see the TPS dipping down low into single digits while generating. :)

Yep, my server was laggy for about a minute or so after generating it and client was, of course, laggy for quite a while as it had to redraw every bloody chunk around.

Erogenous Beef posted:

Joke or no joke, the thing's pretty ridiculous. Though, i will admit I definitely chuckled once I realized what the gently caress was happening with the sudden "corruption" of the world...

That said: It doesn't lag the server, but it lags the gently caress out of the clients connected in the area though! Not to mention the other wonderful benefits of having complete sky coverage over a wide area... (mob spawns during the day, light dependent plants popping out of the ground, etc)

Also:

That's been running I posted that message last night and it's barely made a dent in the thing.
Ah well, at least I will never want for rubber ever again. :v:

Anyway...

On a different note, Mine and Blade: Battlegear doesn't seem to play nice with MSPC+. Items just outright disappear when you reconnect or warp to another dimension. The shield mechanics are so nice too... :sigh:
Admittedly, though, I mainly wanted the mod to have extra hotbar slots. The shields were just a nice bonus.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm having a problem with a pack I've cobbled together. I started with NST and added some things, I'm trying to figure out why Ars Magica 2 parchment isn't working, first it was telling me destabilized redstone buckets were parchment, I went in and changed the itemID on the parchment and now it thinks some forestry sapling is parchment, but neither of the itemIDs on those items are the one I switched parchment to in the configs. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Reason posted:

I'm having a problem with a pack I've cobbled together. I started with NST and added some things, I'm trying to figure out why Ars Magica 2 parchment isn't working, first it was telling me destabilized redstone buckets were parchment, I went in and changed the itemID on the parchment and now it thinks some forestry sapling is parchment, but neither of the itemIDs on those items are the one I switched parchment to in the configs. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Try adding 256 to the parchment ID. It is an old quirk of how item ID's work.

edit:
Cerevisiae, it looks the tubes are fine but the jars and the alembics are causing the cause of the fps drop. Try removing some and see if there are any changes. Once again gently caress TESRs.

delta534 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 13, 2014

• Locked thread