Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I wish Vortex were used and known about more, too. Every time it comes up, someone asks if it works on armslabs, and I have to repeat that it does not. It apparently used to, but was overpowered as hell, I think. Most people in the late game go onos or gorge though, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009
One game this weekend featured a Gorge and Lerk buddy act. They stuck together as they slowly meandered the map, doing nothing useful. They'd reach a new room and interact with each other, jumping around and exploring, before setting off together to a new destination. It was as adorable as it was infuriating (since we were basically down 2 players out of 7).

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I like playing marines every so often. It's nice to be able to see more than 2 colors.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you aren't switching teams every round, you're doing it wrong!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Over the weekend I was on an alien team that was losing, and we couldn't get everyone to vote because they had no idea or whatever, so the com started dropping fade eggs and some of the people got them, but then everyone just sat around in vents or hiding spots as fades doing nothing.

It is so frustrating. If you can't concede at least go have fun!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

DelphiAegis posted:

I wish Vortex were used and known about more, too.

Vortex is amazing! I kind of enjoy the current stigma it has - bad players out themselves by complaining about it.

On top of the suggestions last page, use it on the arms lab during a push, sneak into a base and use it on the chair when your teammates are fighting a comm who knows how to use nanoshield. Two fades who know how to abuse vortex is so OP because nobody knows how to deal with them simply from lack of experience.

All the late game abilities are fantastic. More people need to be using xenocide, umbra and vortex. Those stupid stalemates where your bad teammates lose their Onos after all the gorges were killed first stop happening when people fill in those other roles.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 26, 2013

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

AxeManiac posted:

Over the weekend I was on an alien team that was losing, and we couldn't get everyone to vote because they had no idea or whatever, so the com started dropping fade eggs and some of the people got them, but then everyone just sat around in vents or hiding spots as fades doing nothing.

It is so frustrating. If you can't concede at least go have fun!

I wish I got a video of an alien game we nearly won on tram. We started in server room (top right) and it was the alien commander's first time commanding. The marine's started in warehouse, rushed our base and managed to kill our only harvester - meanwhile the commander used up all of our resources before he realized what happened. :stare: There was a lot of "we're dead", "press F4", etc... but a bunch of us managed to rally all the skulks together (and a few gorges), rushed the marine base in warehouse, focused on the power node, killed it and all marines there, and finally the command chair!... but no victory.

The marines moved their base to shipping, which we grouped up and rushed again but couldn't take it out. We lasted 20+ more minutes, stealthy group rushing/destroying other chairs they tried to put down. We nearly won several more times. On zero resources. No upgrades, nothing. The entire time they had no idea what bad shape we were in. Eventually we couldn't hold them down to 1 base, they got exos, and won the game.

First command chair going down in warehouse:

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GenericOverusedName posted:

The marine commander is much more interactively involved with the rest of the team. He has to get the marines to build what he drops. He drops ammo and medpaks. The alien commander is a lot less interactive, and I feel like as a result they are often less directive. Marine comms tell you what to do because they have to, alien comms don't because they can get away with not doing it.

I used to feel this way too but there are just as many intricacies playing alien comm as marine comm. Enzyme, nutrient mist, bone walls, drifter micro etc. There is alot more there than you think.

D0ct0rAlanGrant
Aug 23, 2007

~My country is a complete embarrassment to world football and they deserve abuse from everyone at all times.~

~Handle your balls? Frenchmen can't resist!~
So I just picked this up, and I am so lost on what to do in the sense of upgrading and evolving, let alone being a commander. If anyone wants to help me understand this game and possible play some games where I can actually do stuff, add me. steam: Vic Romano

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Is there a good guide to playing Fade out there? I always end up sitting on 70+ resources because I suck horribly at anything but skulk.

Not what you asked, but it's pretty easy to be useful as a noob lerk. You can quite effectively deny an area (from up to three marines) with just spikes, even if you don't actually manage to kill anyone. As long as you stay in the air and don't stop strafing they can't really surprise you from across the hallway. Even following skulks from a distance and spraying poo poo in the marines' general direction helps the skulks quite a bit -- hit a marine once and the skulk only needs two bites to finish them off.

With fade I find that blinking up and then shadow stepping down works pretty well. You can't really fly with shadow step but you'll get nice speeds when you point it downwards. Also, like skulk bite, you should pretty much never just hold down the blink button or you'll run out of energy very quickly.

If you want to practise moving around with the fade, even just blinking in and out of rooms means the marines will have to pay a lot more attention to you (fade incoming to base!! omg) and it will always draw at least some attention and fire away from the smaller aliens. Really good players will focus on something they can actually kill, but most will just spray at you with the LMG and then they'll be out of ammo with a skulk in their face. That said if it's even three LMG marines (or one shotgun) you have to be very careful. You should always be either coming or going, never lingering.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How to play Fade: err on the side of running away

Also, don't be that fade that hides outside and waits for a skulk to jump into an area first to distract everyone. That fade sucks.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trick to playing fade is learning the shadow step (shift key). With the shadow step you should be able to take any light marine on 1v1. Even if they have a shotgun. If you just shadow step into them, swipe, and shadow side step you will never be hit.

ChronicMasticator
Nov 5, 2008

Name:
Cesar, the Murderbear
Known Aliases:
Doug
So after logging like, 10 hours over the free weekend I ended up buying the game. I just turned my mouse sensitivity down a lot and I've noticed a lot more bites and shots connecting than before. Soon I'll be like those guys who hear footsteps and just kill you with half a clip in a half second :hellyeah:

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

I've been playing this poo poo since 2002 and I'm still not that guy. I die to skulks so much. :negative:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

snaga posted:

I've been playing this poo poo since 2002 and I'm still not that guy. I die to skulks so much. :negative:

This might sound weird, but I find you do a lot better if you're smart about...your movement. Sounds weird, but playing angles and stuff works wonders (as both a marine and alien).

ChronicMasticator
Nov 5, 2008

Name:
Cesar, the Murderbear
Known Aliases:
Doug

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This might sound weird, but I find you do a lot better if you're smart about...your movement. Sounds weird, but playing angles and stuff works wonders (as both a marine and alien).

A marine hid under some stairs when I charged him as an Onos. He could hit me, but I could not kill him. It was DUMB

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ChronicMasticator posted:

A marine hid under some stairs when I charged him as an Onos. He could hit me, but I could not kill him. It was DUMB

Stomp him and just find somewhere else. You're not supposed to fit everywhere as an Onos.

So, we had a match where everything was just going to poo poo, marines owned the map, and we could barely hold our base. What to do? Wall ourselves in with our hive and hope for the best :ohdear:

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Onosses are like cats in that they can fit into the most unbelievable of tight places.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

AgentF posted:

Onosses are like cats in that they can fit into the most unbelievable of tight places.

I still don't think they should be allowed into gorge tunnels :colbert:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

G-Philez posted:

Xaiter already got his copy. We still need one more goon. It's only $9.38. Message me.

Just added you on steam. Would like to get that last one if still available.

I played the original back in college when it first came out for a long time. Clan matches were a terrible time sink and cost me a few tenths on my GPA I am sure.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I still don't think they should be allowed into gorge tunnels :colbert:

Then I wouldn't be able to describe this game to people as "Rhino's popping out of two foot tall hippo assholes forever"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

TheSpiritFox posted:

Then I wouldn't be able to describe this game to people as "Rhino's popping out of two foot tall hippo assholes forever"

I'm not sure I'd like you to :stare:

(pedant answer: Rhino's what?)

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 26, 2013

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Xenocide is amazing. I've been loving around with it the past few days and holy poo poo. I'm still getting used to the timing of starting the fuse before running in but not starting so soon as to explode too far away. But when it works, wow.

Marines bunching up in a hallway? Just go :happyelf: on them!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Xenocide is amazing. I've been loving around with it the past few days and holy poo poo. I'm still getting used to the timing of starting the fuse before running in but not starting so soon as to explode too far away. But when it works, wow.

Marines bunching up in a hallway? Just go :happyelf: on them!

The big problem is that by the time that you get xenocide, the Marines have Armor 3, so you'll usually just bounce harmlessly off of them. You need them to be softened up first by bile bombs or gas.

If you can pair up with a Xeno buddy though...

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Is there a good guide to playing Fade out there? I always end up sitting on 70+ resources because I suck horribly at anything but skulk.

Noone seems to have posted much so I'm going to write a little about how I play fade in the hope of getting everyone to tell me how I'm wrong.

When I started out fading I'd wait for the khamm to research Blink, Regen and Adrenaline as I thought these were all necessary tools. I'd blink in, flail madly at a marine until he fell over, blink out, heal to full again and repeat. Mouse2 to move, Mouse1 to kill, easy as pyro. Then there'd come this time that I'd failed to watch the energy meter or a jetpack chaser would hunt me down and I'd die while trying to walk away. Against bad players you feel like you're doing a good job as you're constantly picking up kills and because they're bad they can't aim well enough to handle you but it just feels limited against smart marines. I was stuck in a rut though because I thought that Blinking was necessary, so Adrenaline was necessary and so Regen was necessary unless I wanted to spend lots of time walking.

Then one time I played on an American server for 10 minutes and got to see Garfu playing and destroying. He was obviously using Celerity as he could do a simple walking double-jump towards marines and somehow go superfast. He constantly harassed and yet somehow never overcommitted or got caught being unable to runaway. Sometimes he'd even just swipe once before running away but I noticed he'd often take no damage at all he was so fast. I started trying it out and somehow it all clicked after losing a few preconceptions.

The different lifeforms get different benefits from celerity with fade getting nearly +50% speed. This makes shadowstep very good but the real trick is shadowstepping into jumps. While jump is disabled for most of shadowstep, towards the end of the step you can jump out of it keep all your current momentum so you go flying. Double jump to go even further and be able to cross any room in the game with one jump. You have lots of air control during this by pressing your strafe keys and smoothly steering your point of view, allowing you to do these long jumps around corners. Its also worth noting that once you're flying in the air, they can disable your celerity but you get to keep your momentum until you land. Hell, you can string them all together if you want: Step ---> jump ---> steer around corner --> doublejump --> Tap-blink at a 45 degree angle up to go over a crate --> midair step to replace lost speed --> tap blink down to force a landing any time you want to stop floating. All this has about 10% of the energy cost of blinking the same distance and is faster too.

Once you've got the hang of flying better than a lerk you can take carapace instead of regen as now there is very little time wasted in retreating to a hive to heal if a fight went hard. But you could also just play smart to avoid the need to heal. Try to make attacks where you give them less opportunity to wound you. Instead of being stuck in the mindset where you have to make one kill every run, try escaping when more than one marine has turned to face you. If done well then they've lost armor, you've lost nothing and can come back in 5 secs after your energy has refilled. Be patient and you'll get all the kills with less risk. When fighting two marines from the front you could play very evasive and try to get them to expend 2/3rds of their clips before closing to melee range. If they mostly missed you kill them both during reload downtime. Even if they mostly hit you, you'll still have the choice to run away there are few people with aim good enough to finish you off in that time. You've also just tanked their attacks for your skulks who should finish them in this case. By playing smart you can stay on the frontline longer, by taking carapace you can reliably kill shotgunners.

The best use of vortex is to troll your own team by making their targets invincible.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Best use of vortex is to tell the marines you have free drugs at [map location] and spam it on anybody who comes through.

My biggest problem with fades is I keep doing that thing where you hold down m1. I know it is bad and I try to remember but I get so focused on trying to move around and have the situational awareness to avoid getting overwhelmed that my clicky part of my brain shuts off.

I managed to stop doing it for the other life forms so I know I can get over it, but lately I've been spending my time exploding and getting the hang of celerity lerking. Speaking of celerity lerk, I think the key is to take adderall before the game because poo poo just gets too fast for me to keep up with.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Best use of vortex is to tell the marines you have free drugs at [map location] and spam it on anybody who comes through.

My biggest problem with fades is I keep doing that thing where you hold down m1. I know it is bad and I try to remember but I get so focused on trying to move around and have the situational awareness to avoid getting overwhelmed that my clicky part of my brain shuts off.

I managed to stop doing it for the other life forms so I know I can get over it, but lately I've been spending my time exploding and getting the hang of celerity lerking. Speaking of celerity lerk, I think the key is to take adderall before the game because poo poo just gets too fast for me to keep up with.

Come roll with me next time we're in the same server. I have some tips I can show anyone who wants to learn a bit about the lerk game. I try to fade around but reading Senethro's post makes it seem like it is just so much effort for the same predatorial effect. Unless we're playing on Nanogrid... I just can't compete when there's a marine with good aim on that map as there are no vertical spaces (and less with every update!) to use to hide/run away.

I'm kind of growing to hate that map! Descent is a much more balanced and entertaining map for all life forms.

vv Awww, oh well. Still many uses!

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 26, 2013

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

Zigmidge posted:

Vortex ...
use it on the arms lab during a push ...
This doesn't work. It was overpowered and was nerfed.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I wrote way too many words there and I think they're making a simple message seem hard. FADES GO FAST is much easier to do than describe.

Career fading has also made me forget how to lerk good. I try being an early game flying skulk, a mid game ranged support and a late game AoE Buffer/Debuffer and none of it seems to be worth 30 res.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Senethro posted:

I wrote way too many words there and I think they're making a simple message seem hard. FADES GO FAST is much easier to do than describe.

Career fading has also made me forget how to lerk good. I try being an early game flying skulk, a mid game ranged support and a late game AoE Buffer/Debuffer and none of it seems to be worth 30 res.

I think "go in early leave early" is the advice all new higher lifeform players should get. There's nothing more frustrating than the onos that wants the skulk to go in the room first, but as soon as you have a tingling of "I might die", get the hell out of there. Losing a higher lifeform is actually pretty detrimental in more ways than just "how many bites I could have gotten"; the marines like killing lerks/fades/onos and will be very happy when they do. You want to make the marines miserable. miserable.

For a lerk if you need a refresher, run in, bite someone, run out. I frequently just do needles and one bite for every run into a room but it means the idiots that are hanging back will be encouraged to enter, and the marines will be too busy shooting at my butt to notice their legs getting bitten off. Also fly in parabolas.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Senethro posted:

Yeah it seems like those of us good as either lerk/fade can't wrap our minds around the other. For the record, I think umbra is worth much more than 30 res alone. Anytime I'm not lerking I end up wishing I was because nobody on my team is using umbra to help pushes. I'd say it's right up there with bile bomb for base takeovers.

Early umbra is just plain mean. You can spray a few marines with it and dive right into the midst chomping. Hard to see you, hard to hit you and even if they do you'll only take 50%. If you have adrenaline you can safely stay in there respraying as necessary.

But yeah, parabolas and stuff. All these tips are nice but ultimately useless if you don't know how to use the only flying unit in the game to dodge bullets.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

As I played, or tried to last night, I came to the realization that the server browser would be great if res slot information was built into it. In particular, servers could return as part of their information whether new players could connect or not.

I'm sick of seeing 23/24 servers and knowing that they're really full, and just there to taunt me :(

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Volmarias posted:

As I played, or tried to last night, I came to the realization that the server browser would be great if res slot information was built into it. In particular, servers could return as part of their information whether new players could connect or not.

I'm sick of seeing 23/24 servers and knowing that they're really full, and just there to taunt me :(

Part of this is getting to know servers. I know servers like Tactical Gamer have the slot system, and at least give a message about why you were insta-kicked, rather than the old NS1 style of "gently caress you for trying to connect, rear end in a top hat".

The_Skeeter
Jan 28, 2007
I put the mayo in Patty Mayonnaise
So do goons ever play as a group? If so, where can I meet up?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Hey I can't really respond well because im on a tablet in a hotel room with no swiftkey, but fyi I use adren not celerity as a fade. Check out some videos on my twitch channel to see some fade action, or look at the one somewhere in the OP.

Edit: that guys point still stands, even without celeritg you can move around pretty fast as a fade using the methods he described. However when you're in the air, use shadow step downwards, not blink.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

The_Skeeter posted:

So do goons ever play as a group? If so, where can I meet up?

Knife The Hippo and NS2Goons are both goon servers. The latter is modded (just admin stuff, map voting etc) so make sure to remove the filter if you cannot find it.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

When do goons play on nsgoons? I never see anyone on there, sometimes I direct connect at random times of day but never see people.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Garfu posted:

Hey I can't really respond well because im on a tablet in a hotel room with no swiftkey, but fyi I use adren not celerity as a fade. Check out some videos on my twitch channel to see some fade action, or look at the one somewhere in the OP.

Edit: that guys point still stands, even without celeritg you can move around pretty fast as a fade using the methods he described. However when you're in the air, use shadow step downwards, not blink.
I am so glad to hear this. I tried playing non-adrenaline Fade last night based on the previous advice and it was... not good. I'm glad to know I don't have yet another blockade between me and competent fading.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

If you want people to play on NS2Goons you have to seed it. Don't wait for others to if all you're going to do is post about how it isn't populated on SA. Join a team, have something to eat or whatever and by the time you're done it should be on its way to filling up. The name is popular enough that once people are on it more will join fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
They are also open to the public, so there will be occasional non-goons there, not that there is anything wrong with that! The server tends to fill up on weekends, and weekday evenings in the US, from what I have seen.

People don't like to join empty servers, but once they see a few people on one everyone :bandwagon:s and joins up. Happens to all servers, really.

• Locked thread