Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
I checked on my game, and there is a mood bonus for killing Witches:

E: It does stack:

Ostensibly, the Like/Dislike system is designed for MG defection, I.E, an MG will defect to a Civ that matches up better with her Likes and Dislikes. This can affect both your MGs (Except Leaders, obviously) and other Civ's MGs. Vacationing plays into this as well, an MG that Vacations in a Civ may come to like that Civ more than your own.

As it is right now, the biggest problem with the L/D system is its basis in the RNG. You can't control what your MG likes or dislikes, and there isn't much you can do in terms of mitigating factors. Madoka in my picture doesn't like Consulates, so the best course of action is to not take the policy. However, it is a good policy and worth taking, so I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place. She also likes the Colossus, but (Rebellion spoilers) Demon Homura has built it already. I think the biggest thing the L/D really needs is some method of affecting it, a direct mechanic to adjust the likes and dislikes of your MG. As it is now, it just kind of screws you over randomly more often than not.

As for military, well, I've found you only need one Archer to shoot the Witch down for a bit, then have the MG finish it off. You get XP for both the Witch and clearing the labyrinth, so leveling your MG shouldn't take too long and they get powerful pretty quickly. I've been casually playing on Emperor while testing Wish for the World, so higher difficulties may change this. You should be creating military as you go along anyway, not making a military is a good way to get crushed by an AI that doesn't like you.

Also, Wish for the World is really great sometimes and nails the feel and characters of Madoka (Rebellion and series ending spoilers):

http://i.imgur.com/OOq46Qo.jpg

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

ViggyNash posted:

I tried out Wish for the World, and my only major concern is that the early game is kind of absurd. Witches are nigh impossible to kill, so I can't get a grief seed to cool off my starting MG so I can keep her sane long enough to get her some entertainment. On top of that, AI MGs only banter with your or other MGs sporadically, meaning I can't reliably improve her mood early on, which means it's that much harder to keep her sane. Add to that the high familiar spawn rate and the early game became MG hell.

Amusingly, I don't think Witches are strong enough and plan on making them significantly more threatening once the mod is fully finished. This will include ranged Witches and even Witches who are weak in combat, but can heal and buff Familiars. The primary difficulty raise for Witches will be in the late-game, though. In the Ancient Era, they'll probably remain the same, and only receive very minor buffs in Classical. Don't worry if your LMG goes down; she'll come back.

quote:

e: Suggestion: Maybe killing witches can improve their mood? They lose a lot of mood points by fighting them, so I feel like there needs to be some return.

Already happens, but right now it's probably too weak/doesn't last long enough. Some Mood bonuses/penalties are coming, hopefully in the next update.

quote:

As it is right now, the biggest problem with the L/D system is its basis in the RNG. You can't control what your MG likes or dislikes, and there isn't much you can do in terms of mitigating factors. Madoka in my picture doesn't like Consulates, so the best course of action is to not take the policy. However, it is a good policy and worth taking, so I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place. She also likes the Colossus, but (Rebellion spoilers) Demon Homura has built it already. I think the biggest thing the L/D really needs is some method of affecting it, a direct mechanic to adjust the likes and dislikes of your MG. As it is now, it just kind of screws you over randomly more often than not.

Some later updates are going to make it more possible to directly influence Likes/Dislikes, when the Relationship system gets put in place. As far as when that will be...Relationships may be the single most complex system in the mod, so it might be quite some time away, I'm afraid.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Nice, you're finally back.

That first game was really daunting because I didn't know exactly how the mechanics worked and were balanced. Having played a few more early games, I think it's certainly manageable once you have a few baseline management guidelines.

However, I haven't managed to play any game for long because at some point, usually around 50 turns in, give or take a dozen, the game will crash to desktop. The crash is repeatable. I think mechanically, and balance-wise it's ok right now, but you'll definitely want to look at the stability issues. I noticed a few other people said much the same thing in the Steam Workshop page.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

ViggyNash posted:

Nice, you're finally back.

That first game was really daunting because I didn't know exactly how the mechanics worked and were balanced. Having played a few more early games, I think it's certainly manageable once you have a few baseline management guidelines.

However, I haven't managed to play any game for long because at some point, usually around 50 turns in, give or take a dozen, the game will crash to desktop. The crash is repeatable. I think mechanically, and balance-wise it's ok right now, but you'll definitely want to look at the stability issues. I noticed a few other people said much the same thing in the Steam Workshop page.

You should add Vice on Steam and send him the save, that way he can figure out what's wrong with it.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 11, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Lord Justice posted:

You should add Vice on Steam and send him the save, that way he can figure out what's wrong with it.

I wish I could but I can't find them. I mean, I know where the save folder is, but I can't find any saves in there, even though I can see them in game. :shrug:

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

ViggyNash posted:

I wish I could but I can't find them. I mean, I know where the save folder is, but I can't find any saves in there, even though I can see them in game. :shrug:

\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ModdedSaves\single\

I just posted an update which should fix some of the CTDs, though. Try the update first. Had to do with City-States doing some sort of calculation the game DLL didn't like when determining whether or not it can Write or Phone Home. I just made them completely unable to do it; it's not like they need it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I totally missed that... e: Turns out I never made a proper save and I've already overwritten the auto-save with a couple other games. Oh well.

Yeah, I'll go try out your update and see how it goes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay! Baldurk says it's going into the LP Archives by tomorrow and everything's finished. I guess we can put this thread to bed by the end of the week.

Thank you all. It was an adventure writing this and you all kept me going, whether you knew it or not.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
<3 Thank you for this Speedball, it was one hell of a beautiful rollercoaster and part of the reason I got into Civ as much as I did.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

WOOHOO~!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Squee.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Speedball posted:

Okay! Baldurk says it's going into the LP Archives by tomorrow and everything's finished. I guess we can put this thread to bed by the end of the week.

Thank you all. It was an adventure writing this and you all kept me going, whether you knew it or not.

No, thank you, Speedball. This really was great and introduced me to the Civ V modding scene and Vice's stuff. Extended my interest in Civ V by a lot.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

To this day I wish that my computer could handle the 3D stuff. I wanna get into that Madoka mod.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
Speedball, Thank you, this is one of the best LP's I've seen in a while, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't buy a copy of Civ 5 with all the DLC halfway through this thread

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
Thanks once again, Speed. Glad to have played a part in making this happen. At some point I'm gonna go catch up with that XCOM LP.

I'd still like to see you guys over in my Civfanatics thread and my Wish for the World development thread sometime. Right now, they're pretty dead.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Speedball posted:

:golfclap:

Thanks again Speedball, amazing job.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
You're pretty good :ocelot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Hey Vice, I saw your April Fools Civ workshop update.

A lotta loyalty for a Mod created in the Workshop! Was releasing it then part of your plan?

• Locked thread