Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Kial posted:

The Arrow seems poorly balanced. And not in a fun way.

Goonstar has been doing well and then Rolf no LOS Arrow shots just wreck face. It's a bit silly.

It's a +7 tohit (potentially even worse with spotters) on a weapon that only hits on the same turn against opponents that are nearby (the Warhammer and Clint both outrange the Arrow IV) and the Arrow IV only gets 5 shots per ton of ammunition. Spreading out with only 1-2 hexes between them like the players have been doing actually makes it easier for me to hit them. I gave them a tip on how to deal with Arrow IVs successfully at the very start of the mission when I told them who their 'best buddy' should probably be.

The best way to deal with an Arrow IV is to pair up your units to maintain 'local superiority' while trying to keep about 2-3 hexes between your pair and the next pair of friendlies. If you give me wide open spaces of nothing to hit, it's much more likely that I'll hit nothing. If there's a gap where a missile will hit one machine at one level of scatter and a different machine on the next level of scatter, I'm pretty well guaranteed to hit something. My advice probably would've worked better if the Marauder had been on the field from the start; but even coming in late it's already used half its ammunition and hasn't put anyone down.

It also can't fire an Arrow IV at anything within six hexes of itself (it can still scatter back into minimum range, but it's pretty well useless if you rush it and get in close).

I'm also getting fairly lucky with the scatter (and my margin for error). Most of the time all it would've taken was a 2 or a 4 on the first dice and I'd hit nowhere near anybody. I can actually see the players learning how to cope with the Arrow IV as we play, which has been really fun from this end. Getting in close to my units makes firing very risky for me, if I hadn't rolled boxcars this turn there was a very real chance I was going to Arrow IV the Griffin in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yeah I'm not a huge fan of this arrow artillery but so it goes. Most of it has just been dice and the frustration of seeing shots land we can't retaliate for just yet, which is part of the psychology of artillery actually. After all my complaining earlier about combined arms I should just shut up. I don't even think it's hit me yet.

e: looking at the wrong map again. I'm never getting back in this fight :mad:

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 15, 2015

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Oh c'mon, anything would've been effective with rolls like that.

Remember to shoot infantry and technicals that get close to legged mechs. Or I guess Idris could just prop himself up carefully ... No wait, he lost his hip and foot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Also, enemy "spoilers," they're trying to protect the artillery because the pilot's a coward. Get in close and it'll probably use its lasers instead. :ssh:

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I hope Charlotte Walker defects when the Crab goes down.

Voyager I posted:

Doubt that's gonna happen since I'm basically Blind Sal now. In a best-case scenario where the Crab only manages a +1 move modifier and I can get directly behind it by running instead of jumping I still need 9s to hit. That can still turn into a few hits but I'm not gonna cornhole anyone else the way I nailed Sal.

Not that it'd be healthy, but you could probably tank a round or two of a frontal assault as long as nothing hits your head. :black101:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Charger here, going to spear the marauder into a building. If I don't have the option, I'm going to irish whip him.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty much at my wit's end trying to defend against you guys, by the way. The moment you manage to pin me down I'm pretty well done-for. If anything gets grabbed by the Charger or falls over my only recourse is going to be to abandon it, since I won't have time to break free or pick it back up before it gets creamed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

apostateCourier posted:

Charger here, going to spear the marauder into a building. If I don't have the option, I'm going to irish whip him.

You're 1 hex short for charging the marauder as far as I can tell. You have to be able to move into its hex.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

apostateCourier posted:

yesssssss.

I'm moving into 0709 which i thought I posted but don't see. Phone posting probably to blame.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

You're 1 hex short for charging the marauder as far as I can tell. You have to be able to move into its hex.

Run to 0904,(2) turn towards 1004, (3) run to 1105, (6) turn towards 1204, (7) charge into 1204 (8)

I have exactly enough.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

apostateCourier posted:

Run to 0904,(2) turn towards 1004, (3) run to 1105, (6) turn towards 1204, (7) charge into 1204 (8)

I have exactly enough.

Ah, nice. 40 damage if you land it.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Ah, nice. 40 damage if you land it.

Should be on a 7+. 3 base+2 move+1 enemy move+1 skill difference. Not a guarantee by any means, but 40 freaking damage.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
ARen't we too close for the Arrow to hit us then, or does indirect fire not have a minimum range?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Voyager I posted:

ARen't we too close for the Arrow to hit us then, or does indirect fire not have a minimum range?

From what Poptarts said, if I go for the spear he'll panic and use his lasers. Probably shoot out my cockpit because Poptarts' dice, but still.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

PoptartsNinja posted:

It also can't fire an Arrow IV at anything within six hexes of itself (it can still scatter back into minimum range, but it's pretty well useless if you rush it and get in close).

PoptartsNinja posted:

Also, enemy "spoilers," they're trying to protect the artillery because the pilot's a coward. Get in close and it'll probably use its lasers instead. :ssh:

It could still choose to fire the Arrow IV at something out of line-of-sight, but if there's an immediate threat the pilot's going to want to deal with that first.

Edit: Sorry, that was kinda a dickish way to reply to that. It's just that I literally explained this at the top of the page.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 15, 2015

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I was unclear as to whether that meant indirect fire could target the edge of minimum range and hope for favorable scatters or indirect fire had separate rules from direct fire and could lob at targets inside the normal minimum range. Mostly I can't count and forgot that the target hex counts for range calculations so TBK is 6 hexes away instead of 5.

This also means I've gotten dunked on by the Arrow at both the extreme maximum and extreme minimum ranges that it could hit me!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm pretty much at my wit's end trying to defend against you guys, by the way. The moment you manage to pin me down I'm pretty well done-for. If anything gets grabbed by the Charger or falls over my only recourse is going to be to abandon it, since I won't have time to break free or pick it back up before it gets creamed.

Where's your retreat point? Fighting on 8vs3 at this stage (except for the purpose of finishing off the Hunchback and maybe the Blackjack) is insanity really. They should've used the Awesome's involuntary sacrifice to run.

apostateCourier posted:

From what Poptarts said, if I go for the spear he'll panic and use his lasers. Probably shoot out my cockpit because Poptarts' dice, but still.

At 21 damage and 1 wound I think you're actually more likely to die in your cockpit than get vaporized. Seems to fit Randy's personality. :)

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 15, 2015

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Readingaccount posted:

Where's your retreat point? Fighting on 8vs3 at this stage (except for the purpose of finishing off the Hunchback and maybe the Blackjack) is insanity really. They should've used the Awesome's involuntary sacrifice to run.

At 21 damage and 1 wound I think you're actually more likely to die in your cockpit than get vaporized. Seems to fit Randy's personality. :)

TAC to the head, cockpit crit, dead. Or wait can TACs hit the head? I can never remember how they work and I don't have my books in front of me.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Yes, they can. I'm pretty sure you're still more likely to die from six wounds (+13) than that though.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Also, unless I'm mistaken, Hardened Armour protects from TACs.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Man, all those boxcars rolled in this last set of dice... The Marauder flinging Arrows has to be luckiest SoB in the Consorts, and is further proof that PTN's dice hate us (though it didn't seem to affect me that much during my mission way back when)... Shoe in for OpFor MVP, definitely.

Still, if Randy Savage gets off his Spear on the Marauder next turn, that'll be a thing to see. Can't wait to see how that plays out, and how PTN will write the fluff out for it...

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So long as the armour is up the charger has a -2 against tacs, that means the worst roll it faces is a 10 and 2 crits? on what would have been a 12.

Cat might want to take the hits, and get to 3 hexes from the crab and unleash the hammer.

Ryan needs to complete his objective, if he moves forward 5 hexes he will have los on an intact mansion and can shoot it apart.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 15, 2015

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Rorahusky posted:

Okay, that Hunchback is no longer allowed within ten kilometers of any sort of artillery, because it is CURSED.

Why? It's still going. Stop dissing my poor lil Hunchie! It's mean! Show me any other Mech taking that many Artillery hits and still having armor in almost all locations. I'm fine. Just a few scratches in the paint job. Nothing to worry about. Bit of replacement armor here and there, new wirings for the MRM and it's back to mint condition!
Guess I'm going to plow through a building in 1008 and end up in 1108. Going to show the Marauder how a REAL Mechwarrior fights.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I'm pretty sure PTN's dice have been statistically collated (overall and in most individual battles) to be average in regards to the red/blue team, but a bit unstable and slightly high in hits & damage output.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

AtomikKrab posted:

So long as the armour is up the charger has a -2 against tacs, that means the worst roll it faces is a 10 and 2 crits? on what would have been a 12.

Cat might want to take the hits, and get to 3 hexes from the crab and unleash the hammer.

Ryan needs to complete his objective, if he moves forward 5 hexes he will have los on an intact mansion and can shoot it apart.

I don't think PTN has updated that, by my count I've blown up 4 mansions.

Edit: Blown up on Turn 2, 7, 14, and 19.

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 15, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

GruntyThrst posted:

I don't think PTN has updated that, by my count I've blown up 4 mansions.

Edit: Blown up on Turn 2, 7, 14, and 19.

:argh: PTN. :argh: WELL THEN, shoot you a crab, kings gotta go big game hunting you know.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

That's the plan: head to 0907 and shoot at the crab. I'll probably survive.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
RIP Assassin, you kicked rear end until the very end.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
PTN totally set a mission precedent for propping yourself up, go for it Assassin!
What's the pilot check for getting up on one leg with a damaged hip and no foot anyway?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
It's also worth noting that if indirect fire is seriously aggravating you you can always just opt to kill all the spotters.

...I mean, you were gonna do that anyways, but still.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's also worth noting that if indirect fire is seriously aggravating you you can always just opt to kill all the spotters.

...I mean, you were gonna do that anyways, but still.

Artillery doesn't need spotters and a bad spotter can actually make artillery less accurate. The Marauder has been lobbing blind shots in places PTN hopes it'll miss and scatter in to players.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
If I'm inside a building can I shoot out of it without destroying it? I'm thinking of entering 1004 and putting some more pain on the griffin.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Readingaccount posted:

PTN totally set a mission precedent for propping yourself up, go for it Assassin!
What's the pilot check for getting up on one leg with a damaged hip and no foot anyway?

Yes! This would be awesome.

GruntyThrst posted:

That's the plan: head to 0907 and shoot at the crab. I'll probably survive.

I think you're short on mp for 907.

Just a random idea, walking to 1110 would give you 7s (ER PPCs) and leave you in a good position to cut the Crab off.

OptimusShr posted:

If I'm inside a building can I shoot out of it without destroying it? I'm thinking of entering 1004 and putting some more pain on the griffin.

Don't think 1004 is possible?

Kial fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 15, 2015

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Kial posted:

Don't think 1004 is possible?

It isn't due to buildings and raised terrain.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Scintilla posted:

It isn't due to buildings and raised terrain.

Ah crap. Forgot those destroyed building cost extra MP. What are his to hit chances in I were to get in his face at 1105 (Which I am pretty sure is possible)?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

OptimusShr posted:

Ah crap. Forgot those destroyed building cost extra MP. What are his to hit chances in I were to get in his face at 1105 (Which I am pretty sure is possible)?

The chances are exactly zero, because I will be there until the end of the physical phase.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Readingaccount posted:

To shoot at infantry, to show why you don't want any infantry within a certain radius of a downed friendly.

Edit: Sorry to disappoint but the reason I don't track most legged `Mechs is because the arm-prop mechanic is a pain in the rear end. It's better to keep quiet and repair your `Mech later, so if you're down, you're down. I don't even roll the final falling damage or the possible pilot hit when a player gets legged. :ssh:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 15, 2015

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I'm fine with that, I think that I've done enough with the Assassin this game. I got my Sub Objective, a bunch of technicals and... 2 kills?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So out of curiosity, what's the most head hits someone has taken in the LP and survived?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Someone will probably correct me if I misremembered, but I think it's a 3-4 way tie at '3'.

• Locked thread