Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Zeroisanumber posted:

Going to bet on hard Brexit.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think your poo poo olds are going to drag the rest of you screaming into hell with them.

it doesn't really count as a bet anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
also didnt he turn out to be a pedo? maybe always up the RA

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Gen X is also gonna suck real bad when they get old
this would have been a good prediction to make 15 years ago

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

jesus WEP posted:

Fine, Gen X is gonna suck even worse when they get older

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Fine, Gen X is gonna suck even worse when they get older
I am a super late Gen X (79) and people from my generation have always impressed me by their mediocrity. Last example is the number of inapt Gen Xers who were in the Hillary Clinton presidential 2016 campaign staff. So yeah, it's going to get worse.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I personally can’t wait until I become entitled and bitter and dismissive of whatever cyberpunk horrors we will foist on the youth of the future. It seems hella optimistic to assume any generation won’t eventually grow into a critical mass of regression and entitlement.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

ready player one's release in 2011 marks the beginning of Xer senility

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Mackers posted:

Go protest and see if anyone gives a gently caress lmao

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/anguslivingston/status/1167232523828514816?s=20

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
if you dont like how i run things please brexit

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1167544803040669698

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

cargo cult posted:

the way the IRA iced mountbatton was insanely badass

Mountbatten usually holidayed at his summer home, Classiebawn Castle, in Mullaghmore, a small seaside village in County Sligo, Ireland. The village was only 12 miles (19 km) from the border with Northern Ireland and near an area known to be used as a cross-border refuge by IRA members.[115][116] In 1978, the IRA had allegedly attempted to shoot Mountbatten as he was aboard his boat, but poor weather had prevented the sniper taking his shot.[117]

On 27 August 1979, Mountbatten went lobster-potting and tuna fishing in his 30-foot (9.1 m) wooden boat, Shadow V, which had been moored in the harbour at Mullaghmore.[116] IRA member Thomas McMahon had slipped onto the unguarded boat that night and attached a radio-controlled bomb weighing 50 pounds (23 kg). When Mountbatten was aboard, just a few hundred yards from the shore, the bomb was detonated. The boat was destroyed by the force of the blast, and Mountbatten's legs were almost blown off. Mountbatten, then aged 79, was pulled alive from the water by nearby fishermen, but died from his injuries before being brought to shore.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Again no, the people that hosed Ireland and India died happy and rich and got away with it. I mean the fact their failsons are now going to suffer might be some kind of revenge but lmao?????

I would blow Dane Cook has issued a correction as of 13:21 on Aug 31, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Mountbatten usually holidayed at his summer home, Classiebawn Castle, in Mullaghmore, a small seaside village in County Sligo, Ireland. The village was only 12 miles (19 km) from the border with Northern Ireland and near an area known to be used as a cross-border refuge by IRA members.[115][116] In 1978, the IRA had allegedly attempted to shoot Mountbatten as he was aboard his boat, but poor weather had prevented the sniper taking his shot.[117]

On 27 August 1979, Mountbatten went lobster-potting and tuna fishing in his 30-foot (9.1 m) wooden boat, Shadow V, which had been moored in the harbour at Mullaghmore.[116] IRA member Thomas McMahon had slipped onto the unguarded boat that night and attached a radio-controlled bomb weighing 50 pounds (23 kg). When Mountbatten was aboard, just a few hundred yards from the shore, the bomb was detonated. The boat was destroyed by the force of the blast, and Mountbatten's legs were almost blown off. Mountbatten, then aged 79, was pulled alive from the water by nearby fishermen, but died from his injuries before being brought to shore.

Yeah this is honestly one of the only feel good stories in UK politics

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
They uh did kill two kids on that boat as well you know

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I personally can’t wait until I become entitled and bitter and dismissive of whatever cyberpunk horrors we will foist on the youth of the future. It seems hella optimistic to assume any generation won’t eventually grow into a critical mass of regression and entitlement.

lol, just lmao if you think there will be a planet to pass onto future generations once the current pensioners are done with it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bryter posted:

Mountbatten was also sexually attracted to boys.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Vox Nihili posted:

Gen X is also gonna suck real bad when they get old

They've lived their whole lives being impotent and small by proportion, we will laugh at these things in their faces.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Mountbatten was also sexually attracted to boys.

That's not the fault of the boys he's attracted to.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Dance Officer posted:

That's not the fault of the boys he's attracted to.

They shouldn't have dressed so slutty.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Nocturtle posted:

Is YouGov a reliable pollster? This result has stuck with me for days:

Here's another poll that makes me sad:

Good luck to everyone stuck on death cult Boomer island.
is this boris regaining all the hard brexiters that theresa lost?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Bryter posted:

I'm just learning about this event now and holy poo poo

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Nocturtle posted:

Is YouGov a reliable pollster? This result has stuck with me for days:

Here's another poll that makes me sad:

Good luck to everyone stuck on death cult Boomer island.

i think a large portion of people just want this poo poo to be over and "a second referendum" means it wont be over for a long time.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
And yet the same people also think crashing out without any kind of deal mean it will be all over. Most people are dumb as poo poo.

Brexit is going to go on for years regardless of what happens, as it is a constitutional impossibility. If you gave people the right to vote on whether they should pay taxes I can tell you how the view would go, it didn't mean it would be a good idea or would be possible to implement.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
just imagine how annoyed you will be forever if the hardest brexit doesn't happen and you have to wonder how cool it would have been

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

is this boris regaining all the hard brexiters that theresa lost?

very much so

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

bojo is trying to unite the hard brexiters and if he does so he probably has an electoral majority

since the people who dont want the country to die have all spent the last 4 years convincing themselves jeremy corbyn is a legit threat to the UK above and beyond brexit so theyve kinda backed themselves into a corner there since hes also the only politician who can stop bojo

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

just imagine how annoyed you will be forever if the hardest brexit doesn't happen and you have to wonder how cool it would have been

It's more like putting a hot iron to your own face. You've been holding it closer and closer, threatening to do it, yelling at people who would prefer you didn't, and eventually you realize that the only way this can be worth all the drama is if you just press it on your face good and firm.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

BizarroAzrael posted:

They shouldn't have dressed so slutty.

I know this is sarcastic, but still get off the internet.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Dance Officer posted:

I know this is sarcastic, but still get off the internet.

i'm assuming that poster recently watched the latest chapelle special

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

this is a bit like wishing the savile thing had gone on for longer

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sax Solo posted:

It's more like putting a hot iron to your own face. You've been holding it closer and closer, threatening to do it, yelling at people who would prefer you didn't, and eventually you realize that the only way this can be worth all the drama is if you just press it on your face good and firm.

rationalists call this game theory

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Hentai Jihadist posted:

bojo is trying to unite the hard brexiters and if he does so he probably has an electoral majority

since the people who dont want the country to die have all spent the last 4 years convincing themselves jeremy corbyn is a legit threat to the UK above and beyond brexit so theyve kinda backed themselves into a corner there since hes also the only politician who can stop bojo

If only they'd spent the last couple of years building bridges and concentrating on avoiding Hard Brexit rather than obsessively flapping on about all that anti-semitism bullshit. Oh well.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sounds like something an antisemite would say!!!!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

they made the mistake all libs make, the Hillary Clinton Mistake, which is to assume that because your opposition is horrific you will win by default, so you don’t have to actually work at all. so your entire political plan is just jockeying for what your victory will look like, which mostly involves punching left

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Pip, pip. Stuff upper lip.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

they made the mistake all libs make, the Hillary Clinton Mistake, which is to assume that because your opposition is horrific you will win by default, so you don’t have to actually work at all. so your entire political plan is just jockeying for what your victory will look like, which mostly involves punching left

The Dems and blairites are controlled opposition

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
brexit

https://twitter.com/katie_martin_fx/status/1167907278999015425

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

lol forever at david pigfucker cameron

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Wow you mean the U.K. can be even more unhinged? Takes off hat, looks at slowly sinking ship waving british flag as London burns and whistles between teeth. Respect.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I have a weird question. This assumes that the UK isn't going to become a republic any time soon.

The Queen is a rubber stamp for Parliament. The popular view is that her powers are purely ceremonial, but as we've seen, they're clearly not. Turns out she has some enormous powers that custom dictates she use whenever the PM tells her to. And she can't say no because it would likely destroy her entire dynasty, which is a big deal among that sort.

So, hear me out here: the Queen finally gives up on having to pretend to care about something over which she has zero control, and creates the office of Governor General for the UK, to whom all these traditional powers would be vested, like in the colonies. History has shown us that GGs do not give a gently caress and will create constitutional crises just because they're bored. "Prorogue parliament for a month just to sabotage Brexit? Pssh, nah, try again pal."

The queen could spend the rest of her days waving at people and playing with corgis. And sometimes knighting people, I guess.

Like, granted, we may have gone a bit overboard in the US on the whole "checks and balances" thing. But you guys could really use at least one check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What are the odds that Trump will call for a loosening of UK import restrictions on US guns?