Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
A cursory Google search has not turned up any merchandise featuring the gray gentlemen from Momo, and that's some bullshit. I had just explained to my son that I felt a bit like a gray gentleman from time to time and then rushed to the computer to look at all the ironic t-shirts they must surely be on, but I found nothing.

For those not familiar, they are the bad guys in a German children's book, and they eat time. They come for people dressed as bankers and they convince them to save time at their bank by not wasting their time, and then they smoke the time rolled up in cigars. They couldn't really be any less subtle and they own for it, and i am severely disappointed in the Internet for not having a dedicated fandom to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Skwirl posted:

I'm pretty sure the real reason Arnold was as big as he was is because he did Terminator. If the Rock wants to be a proper star he needs to play a villain at least once.

He’s definitely not a good guy in Pain and Gain but he’s a comedy side character and not THE villain I suppose

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

PeterCat posted:

An anecdote from Arnold:

Anyway, one day Tom and I were filming True Lies in Washington DC, and Jim Cameron decided that he wanted to move the shot they set up on the street in Georgetown to the opposite corner. This might not seem like a big deal, but on a movie set, by the time I walk out to do my scene, the hundreds of crew members have spent hours rigging lights and cameras to make sure it looks perfect on the screen. And they have spent hours parking the cars along the street to look perfect on screen. That’s one of the many reasons I say I am not self-made. But I heard the crew tell Jim resetting the lights and moving the cars would take 2 and a half hours, so I thought we had at least an hour for some sightseeing. I knew Tom was from a small town in Iowa and had never seen the inside of the Capitol Building, so I thought I would show him around. I grabbed a van from the transportation guys and Tom and I took off for the Capitol across town thinking I’d show Tom some of my favorite memorials on the way. Well, before we could even get to the Capitol, we heard a commotion on the walkie-talkie in the car. Apparently they had pulled off a miracle and flipped the entire production in half an hour because Jim decided not to move the cars, and now they were looking for their actors. And we, naturally, were driving around DC in a van.

To say that Jim wasn’t happy would be a major, major understatement. We drove back right away, and I got the beating of a lifetime in front of the whole crew. Jim told me the whole movie was over budget and three weeks late because of me. I said, “Jim, how can we be three weeks late when we have only been shooting for a week?” That didn’t go over well, but eventually we made up and got the shot. In case you ever wondered, does Schnitzel ever get in trouble at work, the answer is yes, especially when Jim is directing.

This is great, thank you. I especially love the bolded but.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Rock was a villain in the classic The Mummy Returns

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

The Rock was a villain in the classic The Mummy Returns

A CGI approximation of The Rock was the villain in Mummy Returns. Pretty sure he also doesn't have a single line of dialog.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Wasn't he an antagonist in the F&F franchise until he wasn't?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Wasn't he an antagonist in the F&F franchise until he wasn't?

He was a cop chasing them in 5, but teams up with them against the main bad guy before the end. It's like calling Tommy Lee Jones the antagonist in The Fugitive (I use that example because the part was apparently originally written for Tommy Lee Jones).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The rock was the bad guy in Get Smart. And as Black Adam coming up unless that's what sparked this discussion. And he fought 7 of 9 on star trek voyager

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Azhais posted:

The rock was the bad guy in Get Smart. And as Black Adam coming up unless that's what sparked this discussion. And he fought 7 of 9 on star trek voyager

He should be the villain in a good movie, like Arnold. And I'm betting Black Adam isn't gonna be a straight up villain.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He should prob learn how to act first.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

PeterCat posted:

An anecdote from Arnold:

Anyway, one day Tom and I were filming True Lies in Washington DC, and Jim Cameron decided that he wanted to move the shot they set up on the street in Georgetown to the opposite corner. This might not seem like a big deal, but on a movie set, by the time I walk out to do my scene, the hundreds of crew members have spent hours rigging lights and cameras to make sure it looks perfect on the screen. And they have spent hours parking the cars along the street to look perfect on screen. That’s one of the many reasons I say I am not self-made. But I heard the crew tell Jim resetting the lights and moving the cars would take 2 and a half hours, so I thought we had at least an hour for some sightseeing. I knew Tom was from a small town in Iowa and had never seen the inside of the Capitol Building, so I thought I would show him around. I grabbed a van from the transportation guys and Tom and I took off for the Capitol across town thinking I’d show Tom some of my favorite memorials on the way. Well, before we could even get to the Capitol, we heard a commotion on the walkie-talkie in the car. Apparently they had pulled off a miracle and flipped the entire production in half an hour because Jim decided not to move the cars, and now they were looking for their actors. And we, naturally, were driving around DC in a van.

To say that Jim wasn’t happy would be a major, major understatement. We drove back right away, and I got the beating of a lifetime in front of the whole crew. Jim told me the whole movie was over budget and three weeks late because of me. I said, “Jim, how can we be three weeks late when we have only been shooting for a week?” That didn’t go over well, but eventually we made up and got the shot. In case you ever wondered, does Schnitzel ever get in trouble at work, the answer is yes, especially when Jim is directing.

This is a great anecdote and my favorite take away is that Arnold calls himself the Schnitzel

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I keep hearing stories about James Cameron being hard to work with.

Apparently "I worked with James Cameron and survived" t-shirts are a thing for his crews.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I worked with a guy who was a concept artist on Avatar and apparently it was well known that nothing you sent Cameron before he'd had lunch would get okayed.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
There was an episode of Chapo Trap House where Felix claimed that Cameron doesn’t have any stories about being difficult to work with and I immediately thought “didn’t Ed Harris deck him on the set of The Abyss?”

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

There was an episode of Chapo Trap House where Felix claimed that Cameron doesn’t have any stories about being difficult to work with and I immediately thought “didn’t Ed Harris deck him on the set of The Abyss?”

Maybe this explains why we don't have a good home video release of The Abyss.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Tom Arnold had a story about getting hired to do True Lies and the studio tried to tell Cameron that absolutely wouldn't happen so Cameron threatened to walk. Tom Arnold took this as "this guy believes in me that strongly" but it's clearly "James Cameron will not let anyone tell him who he can or can't cast in his loving movies and if you try he'll loving slit your throat."

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I feel like if you were having lunch with James Cameron and he said "maybe pizza?" and you suggested something else he'd threaten to walk.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Who are some other directors what are/were giant pissbabies that can't stand anyone even slightly disagreeing with them? It's practically a cliche but none come to mind.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

CPL593H posted:

Who are some other directors what are/were giant pissbabies that can't stand anyone even slightly disagreeing with them? It's practically a cliche but none come to mind.

David O Russell, though he's an abusive maniac well beyond just being a baby about people disagreeing with him.

Joss Whedon also threatened to end the careers of multiple actors on the set of Justice League due to the crime of giving him notes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

CPL593H posted:

I wanna say Kubrick but that might just be towards Shelley Duvalle.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Grendels Dad posted:

I thought they tracked her down for an interview more recently and she said that the trauma was much more about how he does 12 takes for every scene so she was spending days on end screaming and sobbing to get through all the takes he wanted. But that otherwise he was nice and spent a lot of time talking with her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CPL593H posted:

David O Russell called Lilly Tomlin a oval office while shooting I Heart Huckabees and got in a physical fight with George Clooney because Clooney didn't like how he treated the extras while shooting 3 Kings.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Directors who aren't complete bungholes are a treasure that should be appreciated.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Directors who aren't complete bungholes are a treasure that should be appreciated.

Isn't David Lynch known for being super nice to his actors?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

From everything I've ever heard about Lynch he's basically a dream to work with. Comparable to Pier Paolo Pasolini who was apparently the nicest guy ever and probably got assassinated by the CIA/Masons/Fascists/Vatican for being a gay Communist.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Zack Snyder is apparently a really nice guy.

I've heard John Ford could be a prick though.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Grendels Dad posted:

Scatman Crothers too.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Under Pressure: The Making of THE ABYSS is great to watch about the movie. It's all around crazy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZTSNQve0rk

This is just about the production with a narration overview of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RyLikHFh78

I loving loved The Abyss as a kid and even still do today

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

a gay Communist.

Is this what the kids mean when they say "big mood"?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Edgar Wright seems like he would be nice but also very anal on set.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I worked on an Aronofsky set and let me tell you and i poo poo you not, I am lucky to be alive.

Not because the set was dangerous or anything, I’m just practicing gratitude.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I know a lot of people that work in the UK film industry and you hear bits and pieces about certain people, but there is near unanimous agreement that Sam Mendes is a oval office.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Lynch is famously nice and funny, Tarantino and Spielberg are always very excited about movies and are infectious about it, Snyder is nice and learns seemingly every single person’s name on set from every extra all the way up, The Coens are nice but anal-retentive about their scripts to the point where - I forget who told this story - they walked up to one of the actors during a shoot and was like “you said this line with a comma in the middle, it’s actually two sentences and should be said that way.”
Actor responds, “Oh, I thought it was a typo.”
We don’t have typos.” And the Coen walked away.

Guillermo is a guy people love, too. I think it was John Hurt who described as “he has to be such a large man because it’s the only size that could fit the amount of love he has.” And the actress playing little girl Mako deciding she’d call him Totoro because she couldn’t say Guillermo and him just being over the moon about it.

Cronenberg is another nice guy. But he’s Canadian, so you expect it.

And there aren’t any real stories out there, but it seems pretty obvious that Justin Lin is loved by the Fast cast since he’ll have done half or more than half the drat franchise by the time they wrap up the Toretto Saga.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I've always heard good stuff about Lloyd Kaufman.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

PeterCat posted:

The impression I got from his biography is that Ford had serious insecurity issues and tried to compensate for them by being a tyrant on set.

On average, I would assume directors are far easier to work with nowadays than they were a couple of decades ago. Not because they've become nicer people but because more regulations and norms exist to prevent them from being too evil. Fritz Lang nearly burning his lead actress or drowning extras while filming Metropolis thankfully wouldn't be seen as a normal work day on a modern set.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Coffee And Pie posted:

Edgar Wright seems like he would be nice but also very anal on set.

I've been to three Edgar Wright Q+As and watching him talk he just seems like a big kid who's constantly excited about being able to make movies. He talks more about other people's movies and stuff he just likes than his own films. Even if you didn't like his movies (but let's be serious, who doesn't?) it's great to listen to him talk because he just has this wealth of knowledge and a lot of worthwhile insights.

I think of him as Quentin Tarantino if he wasn't problematic.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Cameo posted:

Lynch is famously nice and funny, Tarantino and Spielberg are always very excited about movies and are infectious about it, Snyder is nice and learns seemingly every single person’s name on set from every extra all the way up, The Coens are nice but anal-retentive about their scripts to the point where - I forget who told this story - they walked up to one of the actors during a shoot and was like “you said this line with a comma in the middle, it’s actually two sentences and should be said that way.”
Actor responds, “Oh, I thought it was a typo.”
We don’t have typos.” And the Coen walked away.

Guillermo is a guy people love, too. I think it was John Hurt who described as “he has to be such a large man because it’s the only size that could fit the amount of love he has.” And the actress playing little girl Mako deciding she’d call him Totoro because she couldn’t say Guillermo and him just being over the moon about it.

Cronenberg is another nice guy. But he’s Canadian, so you expect it.

And there aren’t any real stories out there, but it seems pretty obvious that Justin Lin is loved by the Fast cast since he’ll have done half or more than half the drat franchise by the time they wrap up the Toretto Saga.

Confirming Cronenberg.

Wim Wenders is a nice man.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My friend had a breakfast meeting with GDT once, said he came off as a very nice guy in person but there was some stuff going on behind the scenes that eventually soured the experience and his impression of the man.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

PeterCat posted:

Zack Snyder is apparently a really nice guy.

Ford apparently gave John Wayne a ton of poo poo for not fighting in WW2, so he's cool in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baron von Eevl posted:

My friend had a breakfast meeting with GDT once, said he came off as a very nice guy in person but there was some stuff going on behind the scenes that eventually soured the experience and his impression of the man.

:frogon: