Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's funny to think that Beerus was originally going to be a virus or some poo poo.

Yeah, a virus that turned the Saiyans evil. I have no idea how anyone thought this was a good idea and I'm glad Toriyama stopped that and changed that for his cat instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, a virus that turned the Saiyans evil.

Well that's just silly and redundant. For that to work they'd have to be good first. :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Well that's just silly and redundant. For that to work they'd have to be good first. :v:

It was pretty blatantly aiming at that, retconning them as good but manipulated instead of evil and manipulated because they're popular so we must make them pure boys that aren't responsible for several genocides.

It was a horrible idea that misses why people even like the race.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Which is why I’m glad Toriyama passed on that idea since the Beerus we did get is a fun character that fits in well with the Dragon Ball mythos.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Blaze Dragon posted:

It was a horrible idea that misses why people even like the race.

I'd say people like the race because They Stronk.
Not because They Genocide.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Larryb posted:

Which is why I’m glad Toriyama passed on that idea since the Beerus we did get is a fun character that fits in well with the Dragon Ball mythos.

Which is also funny because the general reaction when he was revealed was pretty "wtf is this purple hairless cat, what a dumb looking villain"

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Siegkrow posted:

I'd say people like the race because They Stronk.
Not because They Genocide.

This is some amazing post/red text combo. :v:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

amigolupus posted:

This is some amazing post/red text combo. :v:
Always remember to make nerds angry, they have the pettiest revenges.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

SpazmasterX posted:

Which is also funny because the general reaction when he was revealed was pretty "wtf is this purple hairless cat, what a dumb looking villain"

I think people warmed up to the character a lot quicker once it came out because even though he was considered the villain, he had different motivations that set apart so many of the past villains, who are evil for evil's sake.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's funny that Toriyama rightly changed Beerus to something else, but still decided to throw in "Oh, he actually told Frieza to destroy the Saiyans!", since that's also messing around with the story isn't it?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
The Beerus Virus feels more like it was done cause it can be nicely slotted into the current canon without actually changing anything, otherwise known as major lame poo poo. Toriyama coming round and just drastically changing canon on a whim is some primo Dragonball content.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I don’t get why Beerus (being the lazy rear end in a top hat he is) getting Freeza to destroy Planet Vegeta (something he obviously had no problem with and probably wanted to do anyway) is a big deal?

It’s Beerus’ job to deal with threats to his universe, and if saiyans continued down the path they were, they’d be a much bigger threat than Freeza ever was in just a generation or two. Beerus kept Freeza around to do his job for him.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

That and Vegeta cheaped out on getting Beerus his comfy chair.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Nanigans posted:

I don’t get why Beerus (being the lazy rear end in a top hat he is) getting Freeza to destroy Planet Vegeta (something he obviously had no problem with and probably wanted to do anyway) is a big deal?

It’s Beerus’ job to deal with threats to his universe, and if saiyans continued down the path they were, they’d be a much bigger threat than Freeza ever was in just a generation or two. Beerus kept Freeza around to do his job for him.

I think it's one thing if Beerus had been "yeah, let him take care of it", leaving Frieza to his own devices because it made work easier.

But to suggest Beerus himself specifically told Frieza to do it takes away from Frieza as a character. It's no longer Frieza being a tyrant who chooses for himself to stamp out a growing threat to his empire. It's something he was told to do.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Plus as you say, at best it's unnecessary since Frieza wanted to do it anyway, so why bring it up if it's not really important?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

but also Broly has frieza doing it seemingly without any prompting from beerus.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, it just strikes as completely unnecessary since Frieza already hated the saiyans and screams of them needing some evidence of Beerus having a hand in the universe in the past even though Vegeta's flashback with Beerus and Frieza mentioning him in passing in RoF already accomplish that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's more that Beerus works because he's an authority figure who actually has a mindset closer to the Saiyans than the regular people, the opposite of what most authority figures in Dragon Ball are like. Which also makes sense why Bulma becomes good at managing him- she's been dealing with Goku and Vegeta for years, after all. It gives him an interesting niche.

Also one of the more interesting things about the multiverses is that you see basically reflections and variations on the kind of dynamics and relationships the main cast have- one of the most interesting things about mirror universe type scenarios is that you can use them to explore ideas and to highlight things by showing their opposite. You have U6 showing what Saiyans could be like in better circumstances (and the amusing implication that Universe 7 is the 'evil' universe), U2 and U11 being their cheeky take on magical girls and superheroes, and so on.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

yo the newest super manga chapter dropped/leaked and moro sucks even harder now as a villain

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
I don't wanna manga ship anymore :(

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
Chaotzu is the original practitioner of psychic pebbles, so anytime you see gravel, dirt, or rocks, raise and smash around, theres a possibly it's Chaotzu's doing.

While the character refuses to age, he/she/it/them, might as well be ancient by now. For all we know, Tien got married young.

Krillin is hard to be disrespectful to, on account of he is so disrespected in the ring, that he always fights back. It's difficult to not see him as spoiled compared to some of the cast, but he was raised as a monk and bullied so much, that he honestly doesn't care that "krillin always dies" is a meme, because he's still full of life. Heck, it's about time to recognize he did more than take out 3 Saibamen as strong as Goku's own brother.

New characters? I don't know. Truthfully, I'm a real person in real life, and not only the language is wrong sometimes, but the plot is, and Akria Toriyama doesn't know how to count in terms of dates. Dragonball is honestly a pretty new comic, all considered. One time, he made a starcraft map that spoiled a lot of what is eventually canon, such as future trunks showing up, Majin Buu, and the death of frieza. That was 1999, and the manga was still at the "android saga" in 2003.

just bob fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 18, 2020

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I think Toriyama wrote Beerus telling Freeza to blow up Planet Vegeta not to make Freeza's character lesser, but to further validate Beerus as a threat.

"Now that Beerus exists, would he have allowed Freeza to just blow up a planet? Probably not, that's stepping on Beerus' toes. I'll write it so that Beerus told Freeza to do it."

That's how I read it. Believe me, Freeza's one of my favorite characters in the series, but I don't think the change lessens him. It just makes sense with what a destroyer god is supposed to be, but also who Beerus specifically is (lazy).

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I like Beerus having told Freiza because then it makes Beerus party to the death of their race in the most lazily cat-like way, and gives Vegeta an eventual reason to become so nuclear-pissed he manages to finally thrash Beerus to within an inch of his life
I feel like a lot of Super is just quietly waiting for Beerus to get the extremely vicious wakeup call that he's about to be both outclassed as Destroyer, and also replaced for being the second-worst GoD

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I thought Goku & Vegeta not knowing their new friend was the one who signed off on the destruction of their planet was pretty funny.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Beerus has been shown to be super lax at his job, whatever that is, so Frieza destroying a planet doesn't really seem like something he'd care that much about. I feel like adding in another reason for the planet being destroyed just weakens it.

At this point though I feel like that aspect has basically been written out and will never come up again, so I just choose to ignore it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Momomo posted:

Beerus has been shown to be super lax at his job, whatever that is, so Frieza destroying a planet doesn't really seem like something he'd care that much about. I feel like adding in another reason for the planet being destroyed just weakens it.

At this point though I feel like that aspect has basically been written out and will never come up again, so I just choose to ignore it.

Yeah, I genuinely don't particularly care either because it'll never come up again, even in Broly that's entirely ignored. I'm not a fan of that change but whatever, I can safely just pretend it didn't happen.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Aurora posted:

yo the newest super manga chapter dropped/leaked and moro sucks even harder now as a villain

Moro's whole thing is sucking, though. :v:

Is this arc ever going to end? I think Moro has pulled more "Hahaha, muh true power" reversal moments than Goku Black.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

LADIES! GENTLEMEN! THE MOMENT WE ALL WERE WAITING HAS ARRIVED!

VEGETA JOBBED! TIME FOR THE TRUE HERO TO STEP UP!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Siegkrow posted:

LADIES! GENTLEMEN! THE MOMENT WE ALL WERE WAITING HAS ARRIVED!

VEGETA JOBBED! TIME FOR THE TRUE HERO TO STEP UP!

My favorite thing about Vegeta losing is that every time it seems like he's going to do something, his fanbase is always like "Will Vegeta finally get his due?"

And Toriyama just laughs, because they still haven't figured it out after all of these years.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Lmao even at the culmination of his decades long character arc Vegeta gets the brakes beat off him.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Until the last part this was actually a really nice chapter, too bad it had to continue from that.

yes it's me, I am the Vegeta fan who still wants him to succeed

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Vegeta sucks. The eternal jobber.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

gently caress off Perfect Moro

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
It's been about 20 real years since the death of Frieza. At this point, I've come to the conclusion that he was sort of a confused idiot. I've always thought he was a powerful and menacing man, but cmon, he pretty much had to sit in a Uchiha level Genjuitsu for a really long time. Forgive and forget.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wait, is the chapter out already? Anybody got a link to it then?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

just bob posted:

It's been about 20 real years since the death of Frieza. At this point, I've come to the conclusion that he was sort of a confused idiot. I've always thought he was a powerful and menacing man, but cmon, he pretty much had to sit in a Uchiha level Genjuitsu for a really long time. Forgive and forget.

we saw him destroying yet another planet just last year!!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Vegeta rules. The eternal jobber.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

Nanigans posted:

Vegeta sucks. The eternal jobber.

The second best of all Saiajin!

Akira himself is Goku-son. Always will be, too.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Wait, is the chapter out already? Anybody got a link to it then?

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/dragon-ball-super-chapter-61/chapter/20638?action=read

Vegeta'a fine, he'll get up next chapter and kick Moro's rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

This is so obviously drawn by Tori himself it's even funny.

However, I always worry about the guy when he draws Goku.