Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Prison labour is expanding to call centres, last I checked. It's literally a replacement for outsourcing; labour you can legally pay literal slave wages for!

Nah, best to treat it all as slavery, because that's what it's supposed to be. Reconstruction saw freed slaves arrested and put back to work on the same plantations they were slaves on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Prison labour is expanding to call centres, last I checked. It's literally a replacement for outsourcing; labour you can legally pay literal slave wages for!

Nah, best to treat it all as slavery, because that's what it's supposed to be. Reconstruction saw freed slaves arrested and put back to work on the same plantations they were slaves on.

I agree that it should be completely phased out, minus voluntary programs that pay fair wages. Mandatory prison labor is slavery. there also needs to be strong protections in place so prisoners aren't punished for not volunteering. I do think there is value to a properly implemtned prison labor program, as it can be a valuable rehabilitation tool.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

I think it's more that when leftists post attacks on democrats that are indistinguishable from Sean Hannity rants, people queue up to mock them.

Mmmm, yes indeed, Sean Hannity - noted for his opposition to the erasure of leftist POCs.:rolleyes:

e: Plus the point of me posting those tweets was to show that centrist erasure of leftist POCs is still happening, almost a year after the election, and I'd like it to stop, please.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Prison labor is fine in theory as a sort of job experience / training / rehabilitation program but we don't really have industrial jobs or w/e anymore that aren't handled by robots, making it worthless now. It would be better to help them get GEDs and other basic education stuff at this point.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Call centers are cruel and unusual punishment

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Grapplejack posted:

Prison labor is fine in theory as a sort of job experience / training / rehabilitation program but we don't really have industrial jobs or w/e anymore that aren't handled by robots, making it worthless now. It would be better to help them get GEDs and other basic education stuff at this point.

Call centers are cruel and unusual punishment

I think service industry needs to get comfortable with rehabilitation programs and ex-con labor. It doesn't have to be manufacturing jobs. I've seen good people get passed over for tech jobs simply because they had a record. poo poo needs to stop.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The problem is that firefighters don't get paid well enough, the risk is really high, and the state doesn't ever increase their budgets despite the severe increase in fires year over year.

quote:

Most of the prisoners that get to work fire detail are not high risk people. most are in for drug crimes, theft, or other non violent acts. The program is not mandatory and every prisoner wants to be there.

here's the problem. right here. california has way more people in jail than deserve to be in jail, and they keep people in jail because they need free labor. they have literally resisted releasing prisoners on the basis that it would hurt their labor pool. yes, this program has value, but it only has value for california. these people sent to jail could get better, higher paying jobs if they were not made into felons in the first place. and justice systems around the country are specifically designed to funnel people into jail for lovely reasons.

worse, the california prison brigades are poorly trained and even more poorly paid compared to non-prison firefighters, meaning they are buying a tiny bit of extra freedom at the cost of high risk to their lives. this is a similar situation as the hosed up chicked rehabilitation centers in oklahoma someone posted earlier (except more dangerous!)

as for the prisoners wanting to be there, they wanted to be in the governor's mansion too. oddly enough, prisoners want out of prison. and the people you've described probably should not have been in prison in the first place.

my problem with prison labor (and what it's becoming) is quite simple really. prison labor was an easy shortcut to bring back slavery for states that wanted it back, and that's why the populations in prisons are heavily minority dependent.

and yes, all prison labor is bad, because it provides an incentive for states to imprison people and keep them imprisoned (again, california has literally argued against the court ordered released of non-violent offenders on the grounds it would hurt their ability to staff positions!)

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I don't think it is a good system, and I would rather the budgets for fire departments were tripled or quadrupled in order to high non prisoners, but don't dismiss the value of such a program if it is managed properly. The potential for abuse in prison labor is really high, but it doesnt mean there arent good prison labor jobs out there that actual prisoners would rather do than not. Ideally we wipe out the prisoner population by ending drug crime laws, and make it so critical state jobs are filled by career people who get paid a solid wage. Until then, don't act like all prison labor is slavery.

it's never managed properly. and yes, prison labor is slavery by another name. guess what the former slave states started doing when slavery was banned in the US?

Condiv fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 5, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Really once you exit the system after having served your time, full citizen rights and privileges should be restored and your record should not be held against you. You've served your time.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think service industry needs to get comfortable with rehabilitation programs and ex-con labor. It doesn't have to be manufacturing jobs. I've seen good people get passed over for tech jobs simply because they had a record. poo poo needs to stop.

all industries should be comfortable with hiring those who've been released from prison. period.

it's entirely hosed up that we allow employers to discriminate against people with a record, since the inability to find a job often leads to recidivism

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Mmmm, yes indeed, Sean Hannity - noted for his opposition to the erasure of leftist POCs.:rolleyes:

e: Plus the point of me posting those tweets was to show that centrist erasure of leftist POCs is still happening, almost a year after the election, and I'd like it to stop, please.

I'm talking about this:

C. Everett Koop posted:

I can't believe that the people who nominated and supported a literal slaveowner for president would have issues with race.

Almost like.....they're the real racists all along :eek:

Which really is indistinguishable from your bog standard right wing idiot.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Majorian posted:

Well, since it seems to be happening on twitter maybe you should post about it their instead of this performative outrage about what black people say on twitter about KNOWN FAKE twitter accounts.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

Fox loves to focus coverage and opinion on people of color to scare its audience.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 5, 2017

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Condiv posted:

all industries should be comfortable with hiring those who've been released from prison. period.

it's entirely hosed up that we allow employers to discriminate against people with a record, since the inability to find a job often leads to recidivism

:agreed:

Which is why I called you out when you said the fire department is one of those not accepting of ex cons. they are one of the better avenues for prisoners in western states. Ultimately prison records should be sealed and you should not have to report a served sentence to employers.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

I'm talking about this:

Which really is indistinguishable from your bog standard right wing idiot.

Coop is a gimmick poster.

yronic heroism posted:

[small]Fox loves to focus coverage and opinion on people of color to scare its audience. [/small]

The answer to this is not to silence black leftists, or tell them that they're being insufficiently/inauthentically black.:ssh:

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

Coop is a gimmick poster.

Then don't defend his posting? :shrug:

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Majorian posted:

The answer to this is not to silence black leftists, or tell them that they're being insufficiently/inauthentically black.:ssh:

That wasn't what you posted tho. P sure you posted about erasure and I dunked on that.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

JeffersonClay posted:

Majorian will defend anything that heaps scorn onto his straw man liberals/centrists. Even twitter posts by people that in no way affect anything that are obviously responding to trolls/bots.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

:agreed:

Which is why I called you out when you said the fire department is one of those not accepting of ex cons. they are one of the better avenues for prisoners in western states. Ultimately prison records should be sealed and you should not have to report a served sentence to employers.

i'm honestly surprised by that because it's completely against the norm. and yet at the same time it almost certainly has more to do with california being desperate to not pay more for fighting fires than any high-minded acceptance of ex-cons. still, i'm glad there's at least one job an ex-con has a decent shot at. on the other hand, said ex-cons should've never been convicts in the first place

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

I didn't. You weren't specific and I thought you were characterizing my posting those tweets as similar to Sean Hannity's nonsense. My mistake.

yronic heroism posted:

That wasn't what you posted tho. P sure you posted about erasure and I dunked on that.

How, exactly, did you "dunk" on that?:laugh:

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Majorian will defend anything that heaps scorn onto his straw man liberals/centrists. Even twitter posts by people that in no way affect anything that are obviously responding to trolls/bots.

It's nice that you don't think black leftists face erasure from the establishment.

Also, I love that when someone tweets something lovely in Bernie's name it means the whole movement is racist and sexist, while when Clintonistas do it, they're just some randos that don't characterize that whole camp.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

It's almost like random tweets are weird to post about no matter who's doing it! :iiam:

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
yeah let's stop talking about tweets and start talking about how progressive liberals like nevvy z and jeffersonclay are fine with slavery as long as it's part of the ~constitution~

or about how ya'll voted for a slaveowner in 2016 and accuse anyone who reminds you of it that they are actually a right wing talking point machine

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yronic heroism posted:

It's almost like random tweets are weird to post about no matter who's doing it! :iiam:

If you read the Current Affairs piece, you'd see that it's not just random, and is, in fact, part of a broader trend.:ssh:

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

yronic heroism posted:

same but posts

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Majorian posted:

I didn't. You weren't specific and I thought you were characterizing my posting those tweets as similar to Sean Hannity's nonsense. My mistake..

You made the same "mistake" twice, including once where you responded to a direct quote of his argument with

Majorian posted:

Well, some certainly are.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

You made the same "mistake" twice, including once where you responded to a direct quote of his argument with

Actually, that was me responding to you directly. That was a joke at your expense, you see.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

NewForumSoftware posted:

or about how ya'll voted for a slaveowner in 2016 and accuse anyone who reminds you of it that they are actually a right wing talking point machine

I thought the narrative was only a negligible number of dumb Bernie supporters abandoned the democrats in the general?

I'm really sorry that the right wing beat you to "democrats are the real racists" by like 50 years but them's the breaks.

Majorian posted:

Actually, that was me responding to you directly. That was a joke at your expense, you see.

Ok, so sometimes you were defending his argument by mistake and sometimes as a joke. My bad.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JeffersonClay posted:

Ok, so sometimes you were defending his argument by mistake and sometimes as a joke. My bad.

I was calling you a racist because of the racist quote that was your title until yesterday, you dolt.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Ok so now you were defending his argument seriously too? Your joke/mistake/seriousposting is tough to follow.

*defends a poster asserting 80% of the black democratic primary electorate are the real racists*

"Guys I am super concerned about erasure!"

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 5, 2017

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

If you read the Current Affairs piece, you'd see that it's not just random, and is, in fact, part of a broader trend.:ssh:

Maybe you should have quoted just from that that instead of random twitter stuff that no one cares about and didn't show what you claimed it showed.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
After Bernie makes America into the next Venezuela I think JeffersonClay and Nevvy Z should be given a newspaper and encouraged to act as the voice of the token opposition to the government, sort of like how Putin semi-tolerates a handful of unpopular liberals in Russia because just by existing they manage to discredit any calls for reform or change.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

Maybe you should have quoted just from that that instead of random twitter stuff that no one cares about and didn't show what you claimed it showed.

I did quote from it. The tweets were pretty egregious examples of what the article was talking about. Also, it did, actually, show what I claimed it showed. Centrist Democrats claimed that a large proportion of black leftists on twitter were Russian bots because they didn't sound authentically "black," and a white lady told a black leftist to make black friends so she could learn how to understand black people.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Centrist Democrats claimed that a large proportion of black leftists on twitter were Russian bots because they didn't sound authentically "black,"

I like how the black guy becomes a "centrist dem". Can't let him have any credibility on the topic concerning race can you? Also they were discussing a specific fake account you nitwit.

Lol at Majorian literally erasing a black mans blackness when it suits him.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 5, 2017

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I'm a black leftist and I've been called a Bernie bro and a Russian bot a lot by centrists. It happens to a lot of black leftists

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Guys I am really concerned about the erasure of the 76% of black democratic primary voters who didn't vote for Bernie by prominent white leftists on the somethingawful dot com forums.

Nevvy Z posted:

I like how the black guy becomes a "centrist dem". Can't let him have any credibility on the topic concerning race can you? Also they were discussing a specific fake account you nitwit.

black people who supported Hillary are the real racists don't you see?

JeffersonClay fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 5, 2017

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's good to see so many woke centrists here to explain to them dumb leftist PoC that their experiences didn't actually happen.

Nevvy Z posted:

JeffersonClay posted:

Guys I am really concerned about the erasure of the 76% of black democratic primary voters who didn't vote for Bernie by prominent white leftists on the somethingawful dot com forums.

Nice whataboutism.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theCalamity posted:

I'm a black leftist and I've been called a Bernie bro and a Russian bot a lot by centrists. It happens to a lot of black leftists

Yeah people shouldn't do that. But the only person accusing a person of not being black is that black lady at the end.

JeffersonClay posted:

Lol if you consider Majorian "prominent"

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's good to see so many woke centrists here to explain to them dumb leftist PoC that their experiences didn't actually happen.

Word? where's that?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

JeffersonClay posted:

So, the implicit argument that you're making here is that since it's only a potential 24% of these people, they don't matter?

How many black people having their opinions dismissed is enough to make it a problem?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Cerebral Bore posted:

Now let me tell you about how the Bernie bros weren't real.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nevvy Z posted:

Word? where's that?

Every time you post.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cerebral Bore posted:

Every time you post.

Nah. You full of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

I like how the black guy becomes a "centrist dem". Can't let him have any credibility on the topic concerning race can you?

If he's punching left that deliberately, it's a pretty good bet he's a centrist.

quote:

Also they were discussing a specific fake account you nitwit.

Actually, if you look at the first tweet, he says, "There were FAR too many black Bernie Bros to be real, esp once he was outed as a fraud!" So he's pretty clearly not talking about just one person/fake account. You nitwit.

• Locked thread