Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Given the chance, who/what should I cosplay?
Kane
Commander McNeil
The Kodiak
NOD Soldier
View Results

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I never knew this mission existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Heh, had forgotten about those shuffling Fiends at the start of the map, they did the same thing on the First Decade pack, so have no idea what is up with them. Still, always liked this incredibly short but sweet mission. There is pretty much zero challenge and a huge amount of the map is just kinda, there, but it still is a nice break from the last mission. Always felt like there was something cut from it though, like finding another train to escape or something, it just kind of... ends with pretty much minimal resistance.

Radio Free Kobold posted:

I really like this mission. Lots of flavour on the map, really showing off the Tiberium ecology there.

Yeah, this map really does a great job in the short scripted train ride of showing just how much Tiberium has changed things since TD. Great work by the level designers once again.

Slaan posted:

I never knew this mission existed

Yeah, this mission is weirdly semi-hidden, as there is no need to go up the bridge to the train yard, and you can easily accidentally finish the mission without even knowing there is anything up there.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
hahaha wiggly fiends

That train ride through the Tiberium fields makes me want some sort of Tiberium ecology simulator.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Fish Noise posted:

hahaha wiggly fiends

That train ride through the Tiberium fields makes me want some sort of Tiberium ecology simulator.

Yeah, imagine if we had an FPS set in the C&C universe where you could see the Tiberium ecology and its weirdnesses up close. That'd really be something, huh?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That sounds like something that would be very easy to do wrong - I mean, a massive genre shift like that? From a studio with no experience in that genre? Plus, CnC soldiers aren't exactly the iconic part of the game, they're more like ants. Not a lot of personality or distinctiveness there, unless you count commandos like Tanya. I'd like to see it done with a series that's already more about the individual soldiers though. Maybe X-COM could take a crack at something like that?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, imagine if we had an FPS set in the C&C universe where you could see the Tiberium ecology and its weirdnesses up close. That'd really be something, huh?
I feel like an FPS would fail "Can you pet the dog" though

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Are we able to talk about fangames in here if it's not spoilery?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

That sounds like something that would be very easy to do wrong - I mean, a massive genre shift like that? From a studio with no experience in that genre? Plus, CnC soldiers aren't exactly the iconic part of the game, they're more like ants.
Potential for amazing multiplayer, though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

NewMars posted:

Are we able to talk about fangames in here if it's not spoilery?

Fan games as in mods?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Fan games as in mods?
I don't know what the actual answer is but I am choosing to envision a Kane dating sim in which Use Gun On Man is always present as a dialogue option.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Fish Noise posted:

I don't know what the actual answer is but I am choosing to envision a Kane dating sim in which Use Gun On Man is always present as a dialogue option.
I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Fan games as in mods?

Sort of. I mean Twisted Insurrection, which started as a tiberium sun mod but became standalone while still using the engine. Specifically I want to talk about what it does with tiberium and tiberium creatures because all fangame jank aside, that part of it really nails the bits that only get hinted at in Tiberium Sun.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Twisted Insurrection will get covered eventually :)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fish Noise posted:

Groetgaffel posted:

I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Twisted Insurrection will get covered eventually :)

Hooray! It's certainly.. a thing that deserves some coverage, for better or worse.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Dabir posted:

I mean, a massive genre shift like that? From a studio with no experience in that genre?
Now a base management simulator would've been much closer to Westwood's RTS experience back in the day, and I'm not just saying this because I'm watching the Evil Genius LP right now.

Imagine: Tiberium Park!
Perhaps even: Tech Center Simulator!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

NewMars posted:

Hooray! It's certainly.. a thing that deserves some coverage, for better or worse.

I know there are various assets that are still WIP/base game ones, but is the actual campaign finished?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Fish Noise posted:

"So Seth, what club are you going to join?"

"Well, I think-" *BLAM*

"Yes, clubs shift more quickly than some people think. I am Kane. And while I get your roses back from the shop, I want you to take what girls you have left and secure this debilitated GDI club. Once in, build up an arsenal of equipment and use them to recruit the remaining GDI members. Oh, and congratulations on your route being chosen."

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

thetruegentleman posted:

"So Seth, what club are you going to join?"

"Well, I think-" *BLAM*

"Yes, clubs shift more quickly than some people think. I am Kane. And while I get your roses back from the shop, I want you to take what girls you have left and secure this debilitated GDI club. Once in, build up an arsenal of equipment and use them to recruit the remaining GDI members. Oh, and congratulations on your route being chosen."

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fish Noise posted:

Now a base management simulator would've been much closer to Westwood's RTS experience back in the day, and I'm not just saying this because I'm watching the Evil Genius LP right now.

Imagine: Tiberium Park!
Perhaps even: Tech Center Simulator!

There was a sort of base-management team-based free to play game with a c&c3/4 theme to it a while ago. It was okay, but fell into a lot of the usual free to play pitfalls, and had balancing issues.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
GDI 15: Destroy the Chemical Missile Plant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFSRWFELIVA
Destroy the Chemical Missile Plant

After sending out numerous operational groups to weaken the main NOD chemical missile base, McNeil and his crew set out towards Hamburg, Germany, in an effort to stop NOD's Tiberium/Chemical missile production plant. While en-route, the Kodiak comes under fire from some NOD aircraft of an unknown type.

Most likely in or near Hamburg, Germany.

Objective: Destroy the Chemical Missile Plant

Briefing: NOD's main chemical missile plant is located in this area. It is responsible for the large amount of Tiberium poisoning and accelerated mutations of wildlife in the surrounding areas. Destroying this facility will prevent NOD from furthering the acceleration of Tiberium poisoning on the planet.

Author's note: A nice, tough level where the effects of your previous missions can be seen, and almost with everything a GDI Commander would have at its fingertips. Tough, not impossible.

Name: Commander Michael McNeil
Aliases: Mack
Affiliation: GDI
Voiced/Played by: Michael Biehn

Commander McNeil was personally requested for by General Solomon, and was briefed of Kane's return by the same. Initially skeptical of the return of Kane, he immediately set out to destroy NOD forces attacking Phoenix Base. Helped capture and secure an alien ship that had crash landed near Texas. He loves to win. Has little compassion for the Forgotten. Attempted to capture Vega alive, but his foiled by a nuclear weapon launched by Kane. His brother was murdered by Kane's forces. Knows how to throw a C4 party.

Name: General Solomon
Aliases: None
Voiced/Played by: James Earl Jones

The Supreme Commander of GDI, he oversees GDIs actions from the GDI Space Station Philadelphia. Gen. Solomon was taken aback by the return of Kane, but quickly called for one of his more promising commanders, Michael McNeil. Tasks Com. McNeil with destroying the NOD forces responsible for the attack on Phoenix Base. Believes the Brotherhood of NOD is attempting to steal GDI technology.

Name: Brink
Voiced/Played by: Athena Massey

The Kodiak's pilot.

Name: 1st Lt. Chandra
Voiced/Played by: Kris Iyer

Friend and second-in-command to Com. McNeil, he serves as the Kodiak's co-pilot. Helped McNeil capture Vega.

N/A

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

The reason the walls get depowered is because of a 30-minute timer that shows up around the start of the mission. Apparently some mutants infiltrate the base and depower the laser walls for you.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HardDiskD posted:

The reason the walls get depowered is because of a 30-minute timer that shows up around the start of the mission. Apparently some mutants infiltrate the base and depower the laser walls for you.

I was under the impression that that was more for the Chemical missile stuff, because I would've assumed the laser fences would have been powered off from the start. Unless McNeil loves fair play and held on to the detonator for hours.

Edit:
Fun fact - The start of the mission is missing a text input that mentions the walls that will be powered down.

And I missed the text note at the 30 min mark that states this :downs:

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 27, 2019

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
All the power went off for the whole base when that timer hits zero. The Obelisks seized up and the stealth failed too. It was definitely a deliberate trigger.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Always liked this mission, it presents a solid challenge and the optional missions really do make a pretty notable difference to it. Free Mutant infantry now and then, removing a outpost, and flat out depowering the well defended main entrance after 30 minutes are all very nice rewards. In addition, NOD has shockingly few SAM Sites, so using JJI or ORCA's is quite viable at least against the outer part of their base. Combine that with a good area for your base with room for Firestorm walls and plenty of Tiberium around, and you have a winner of a mission.

This mission also is a good introduction to NOD Stealth Generators as well, as there are a ton of them scattered throughout their sprawling base. However, there are some nicely positioned cliffs where you can stick a Mobile Sensor Array and reveal large swaths of the base. However, if you do go in without em, then as shown in the video, Disruptors are amazing at finding stealthed buildings, thanks to the AOE effect of their weapon.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Never assault a NOD base without bringing an MSA or two. You are always one stealthed Obelisk away from having a Very Bad Day.
Always capture the Stealth Generator first. It makes the subsequent engineer blob that much more hilarious, as you vanish their base right out from under their nose.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Awwwww poo poo, today was Tiberian Sun's 20th! :toot:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
GDI 16: Locate and Destroy Prototype Manufacturing Facility

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68fjmPvzrys
Locate and Destroy Prototype Manufacturing Facility

Hot on the trail in search of Kane, Tratos reveals how he translated the Tacitus for the maniac. On top of Tiberium missiles jeopardizing the world, it is learned that the Brotherhood of NOD has also developed a new aircraft type. Neither of these bode well for GDI, but Umagon volunteers to search for the secret production facility, along with Ghost Stalker, in order to prevent their full-scale production.

My best guess is Split, Croatia, or at the very least the area around it.

Objective: Locate and Destroy Prototype Manufacturing Facility

Briefing: One of two possible locations of the Prototype Manufacturing Facility. Use the mutants to locate the position of the production facility. The mutants must remain undetected. If Nod suspects enemy forces in the area, they will cloak the facility and deploy troops to destroy them. If the mutants can hide from the Nod troops for a short period, the base will assume the area is clear and uncloak. Once we record the location of the base, GDI Dropships will arrive with reinforcements.

Author's note: I like this mission, but the lack of any sell-all trigger and accompanying "Hunt" action becomes more and more noticeable as the campaign progresses. Regardless, we also get to see the Mammoth Mk II, yet it gets very little fanfare for what should be a superweapon.

Name: Commander Michael McNeil
Aliases: Mack
Voiced/Played by: Michael Biehn

Commander McNeil was personally requested for by General Solomon, and was briefed of Kane's return by the same. Initially skeptical of the return of Kane, he immediately set out to destroy NOD forces attacking Phoenix Base. Helped capture and secure an alien ship that had crash landed near Texas. He loves to win. Has little compassion for the Forgotten. Attempted to capture Vega alive, but his foiled by a nuclear weapon launched by Kane. His brother was murdered by Kane's forces. Knows how to throw a C4 party.

Name: General Solomon
Voiced/Played by: James Earl Jones

The Supreme Commander of GDI, he oversees GDIs actions from the GDI Space Station Philadelphia. Gen. Solomon was taken aback by the return of Kane, but quickly called for one of his more promising commanders, Michael McNeil. Tasks Com. McNeil with destroying the NOD forces responsible for the attack on Phoenix Base. Believes the Brotherhood of NOD is attempting to steal GDI technology.

Name: 1st Lt. Chandra
Voiced/Played by: Kris Iyer

Friend and second-in-command to Com. McNeil, he serves as the Kodiak's co-pilot. Helped McNeil capture Vega. Helps with comic relief for the Kodiak crew.

Name: Umagon
Aliases: Unknown
Affiliation: The Forgotten
Voiced/Played by: Christine Steel

An apparent stowaway on the alien UFO, Umagon met face-to-face with Commander McNeil. Little is known about her, officially or otherwise. Despite their initial interactions, Umagon is clearly warming up to GDI, and Commander McNeil in particular.

Name: Tratos
Aliases: Unknown
Affiliation: The Forgotten
Voiced/Played by: Christopher Winfield

Leader of the Forgotten, he has visions of the future, called Pentosi. Translated the Tacitus for Kane, putting the entire world in danger. It is rumored that he did this for a single box of twinkies, a long-forgotten snack enjoyed by all.

Mammoth Mk.II
RANGE: Medium
ARMOR: Heavy
WEAPON: Twin rail guns and Anti-Air Missiles

This prototype behemoth is GDI’s most powerful weapon. Towering over the battlefield, the Mammoth II carries dual rail guns and a back mounted anti-aircraft missile launcher. The rail guns are capable of reducing most units to slag in a matter of
seconds, while its AA launcher ensures air protection for the unit. Virtually indestructible, the Mammoth Mk. II is still in its testing phases and, due to limitations on the technologies involved, only one can be deployed at any time.

Author's Note: Not really a favorite unit of mine, due to the limitation of having only one at any time on the map (as with Ghost Stalker). It is easily overwhelmed, due to its slow rate of fire. I tend to skip building it.

Orca Carry-All
RANGE: None
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: None

The largest of all the Orcas, this transport aircraft has the critical job of rescuing or delivering units to any destination on the battlefield. Using a large grappling device, the Carry-All is capable of picking up any vehicle found on the battlefield.
To make the Carry-All pick up a unit, select the Carry-All, then left click on the unit you wish to pick up. To put the unit down, select the Carry-All when it is on the ground, highlight it and left-click on it when the "deploy" cursor appears.

Author's Note: Incredibly useful, if only to speed up tiberium harvesting, but rarely do I ever build it. Also great to transport a Mammoth Mk.II to harass enemy harvesters.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

*In Darth Vader voice* God. Dammit. Mack. :mad:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Okay so here's why I didn't play this game long - I'm pretty sure (seeing as there's no way I'd have gotten this far in any campaign since I'm bad at RTS) I almost immediately started a skirmish game to check out the various units you can get in the game.

The only one I remembered clearly was the Mammoth Mk. 2, because I was so disappointed by it. It's amazing that for a unit that's basically guns on a square with treads how iconic the Mammoth Tank is, and I was really bummed that it was replaced by this not-AT-AT.

So yeah, as I said, the reason I stopped playing was very petty.

But hey, the Carryall! Another Dune 2 call-back. It pretty much acted similarly there, though IIRC in Dune 2 depending on what version you had you weren't able to directly control Carryalls at all, or later versions allowed you to control Carryalls but couldn't directly control Ornithopters. I don't remember clearly besides air units in Dune 2 being... weird.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
if a carryall can't carry another carryall it's not really a carryall now is it???

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Well, now that they have finally showed up, can talk about the good old Mammoth Tank and the new Mammoth MKII. The old Mammoth Tank oddly has the Red Alert cost of 1700 credits in the rules.ini and slightly changed up stats from both its previous versions. However, there is a very weird bug with the TS Mammoth in that its famed self-healing ability doesn't work if their health drops to 4% or less, although if healed up past that point, it kicks back on. No clue as to why this is. In general though, it still packs a major punch and between having high health and the heavy armor class, they can roll over everything outside of Obelisks and deployed NOD Tanks and their Mammoth Tusk Missiles can shoot down Harpies pretty easily.

As for the MKII, yeah it kind of is a disappoint for its extreme cost and lack of speed. Heck, it was even buffed in a patch early on to have a good 25% more HP and even then it still underpreforms mostly. Its Rail Guns crush anything that doesn't have concrete armor and for air defense it uses Mammoth Tusk missiles. As for why it never used the missiles vs ground targets, it all comes down to damage. A unit with more then one weapon will use whatever can damage the target the most, and while MTM are powerful, the Rail Gun does far more damage, hence MMKII only using them against air, the only thing the Rail Gun can't hit.

As for the mission, it is a great breather after the previous one, and honestly isn't too hard, don't think NOD even had any Artillery deployed, although that was probably due to having to use the Mutant scout team for the first half. And at least for this version of the map, it is well set up for you to bypass the front gates, with some major holes for water or air based attacks, and plenty of places to stick a MSA to see the whole base. Do disagree about using MSAs though, they are incredibly valuable for reveling stealthed NOD bases and their range is large enough that you really don't need to leap-frog them, one is generally enough to show where the Stealth Generator and any nearby Obelisks are or at least where the NOD power plant cluster is located. Just walking into a base blind is asking for a bad time.

UED Special Ops fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 3, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Psion posted:

if a carryall can't carry another carryall it's not really a carryall now is it???

You can’t put a bag of holding in a bag of holding.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Fun fact, if a hunter-seeker is chasing your friend's mcv and you pick it up and run away using a carryall, it will chase you for as long as you're willing to click around the map

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Have we seen the entire GDI arsenal yet? I can't remember what else there is.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Crazy Achmed posted:

Have we seen the entire GDI arsenal yet? I can't remember what else there is.

I don't know what a hunter seeker is but we're missing an aircraft according to the tech boys that keep prodding me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Mammoth Mk.II sucks because it is only half of a unit - the other being the carryall. Put them together, add some anti-air cover and watch magic happen.
It's only underwhelming until you realize that this is the first game that lets you get around its godawful speed.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Or you build 4-5 titans for the same cost.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Or 3-4 Hover MRLS'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Or even 2-3 Disruptors.