Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So I just finished the first Trails in the Sky game about an hour ago and saw this thread while browsing. And while I did see Joshua's revelation at the ending coming a little bit, the depth of it and resulting actions surprised me, which is rare in a game these days. A lot of games lately tend to beat you over the head with a mallet that says 'THIS WILL COME UP LATER LATER", but Trails did it unbelievably subtly. I haven't read this thread yet, but I'm gonna at least try and catch up over the next week or so (my work week just started and I work 12+ hour shifts) and I'm eagerly looking forward to what's next for Estelle.

Although I'm also kinda dreading it since Joshua was my main attacker due to the insanity of Dual Strike. I had Estelle stick to healing and support unless Kloe or Olivier was around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
As soon as a saw that new bracer request I was thinking PHANTOM THIEF!~

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

You're limited to the south block of Grancel, but if you enter all the stores before returning to the guild, Renne has some lines. I was impressed by that attention to detail.

Yeah, the game does try to remind you that the Bracer Guild is not some loose collection of adventurers which lets its members wander into everyone's houses and break their pots looking for valuables, but rather that they're supposed to be like Liberl's police force and as such needs permission before meddling with other people's property.

Not just Liberl's, but lots of countries rely on them for similar reasons, even if they have a police force of their own. Bracers aren't tied to any specific nationality, hence why their HQ is in another country entirely like the first chapter established. So there's another layer to it all; while Estelle, Agate, and Schera are citizens of Liberl, their power to do what they do come from them basically being... well, best way to put it is maybe "contracted Interpol agents." It's also why Zane can show up and join in on all the little shenanigans they get up to (or just start taking jobs himself, come to think of it) even without being a citizen of Liberl. Really, it's all made just for the sake of serving the game's plot and as a sort of excuse for gathering your ragtag band of adventurers together, but the games go to great lengths of actually integrating the whole "idea" of Bracers into its story and gameplay.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Although I'm also kinda dreading it since Joshua was my main attacker due to the insanity of Dual Strike. I had Estelle stick to healing and support unless Kloe or Olivier was around.

They balance that out by turning Agate into an absolute monster.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Really though, my one big hope is that you can keep characters for more than a chapter. That was my one real gripe.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Really though, my one big hope is that you can keep characters for more than a chapter. That was my one real gripe.

Don't worry about that.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

For the most part, people who join your party stick around for the long term. Although there ARE some sections where characters are briefly unavailable, only to return later in the chapter and because they don't leave for a long time, the game doesn't unequip them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

-Royal Capital of Grancel-

Hi, Estelle.
Hey, which stuffed animal do you like?
Hmm...I think that rabbit's pretty cute.
Really?
What a coincidence! I think that bunny's the cutest, too.
...Looking at these stuffed animals reminds me of Anelace. I wonder what she's doing now...
Anelace?
She's a bracer like me, but she's a lady who looooves stuffed animals.
I'm sure you two would get along, Renne.
Will I get to meet this lady?
She's out of the capital on work right now, but you might meet her at some point.
When is some point? Tomorrow? The day after?
Er...I'm not quite sure.
Awww.
Hmmm...Once we're done shopping I'd like to go play someplace else, too. Show me all around, Tita.
Oh, Estelle!
Tita, take care of Renne.
Yeah, leave it to me.
I've got lotsa places I wanna go with Renne.
Just don't get lost.
Okay! Good luck with your work.
We'll keep shopping here for a bit.

I'm just about to start askin' with the company. If you're here, does that mean you're startin' with the embassies?
Well, countin' on you.

Private Tact: Huh? Zane! Holy crap! Wastin' time in Liberl-ville again?
Haha. Something like that. Thought I'd say hello to Elsa, and I have something I need to talk to her about. Is she in?
Private Tact: Well, I haven't seen her leave, so I guess she's around. Oh, who's with you? Gotta ask, you know. Policy.
Oh, they're helping me with some guild work. I'm going to introduce them to Elsa.
Private Tact: Huh, well, okay. If they're with you, Zane, I guess I can let 'em in.

Private Tact: Oh, do keep in mind that the embassy hall is Calvard soil. Calvard and Liberl are friends, but still, keep your nose clean, eh?
You hear that, Olivier?
And yet again my heart is assaulted with arrows! How little trust you have in me!

-Royal Castle-

Wow, this is the Calvardian embassy? I didn't expect it to be quite so fancy.
And yet it's a bit exotic, as well. I really like it.
Well, quite a few people from even farther east have settled in Calvard, you know. They've had an impact on our culture, too. Anyway, Elsa's office is in the furthest room on the second floor.
All-righty!

Hey, I'm back.
I might end up borrowing a room, so I'll be in your care if that happens.
Sandy: Heehee, of course. Zane, come by and stay any time. I'll have everything squeaky clean for you.

Farrah: I don't even need to see your face to know.
Hey, hey! Are you seriously going to judge based on my body size?
...I thought you were a bear when we first met.
My...
...Geez.
Farrah: Zane is always going back and forth between Liberl and the Republic. It must be hard on him. Do take care not to push yourself too hard and lose your health.

The Doll Knight foreshadows the end of this chapter a bit. You can start reading here. Chapter 15 has a little something extra:

quote:

There is a card trapped between the pages.

Oh! Look what I found!
Oh, I get it. I guess this is technically considered Republican territory...
It absolutely is a 'foreign manse.'
And the Blue Knight is a character from the novel, I think.
Geez...He sure is detail-oriented.
Anyway, I got a feeling that this next one's the last of 'em.
'Dance of the Valorous'...Well, now where could that be?

All right! Let me introduce you.

*knock knock*

Yes, come in.
Pardon us, Elsa.

Last I heard, you'd returned to Calvard. What's an old dog like you doing back here in Grancel?
Heh, well! Let's just say this old dog had a trick or two more to show off. I'll likely be here in Liberl for a while.
As to be expected of an A-rank bracer, I suppose. You never let up, do you?
So, who's this with you?
Um, a pleasure to meet you, ma'am. I'm Estelle Bright, of the Bracer Guild. These are our, um, assistants--Olivier Lenheim and Kloe Rinz.
A pleasure, Ambassador.
It's a pleasure to meet you, Ambassador.
The pleasure is mine. I'm Elsa Cochrane, Calvard's ambassador to Liberl.
I...get the feeling this is more than a social call, though.
I'm afraid so...

quote:

Estelle and her party asked about the threatening letter the embassy received.
Ah, that letter, yes.
You're helping the Royal Army investigate the matter, then?
Technically, yes. Threats of terrorism aren't exactly something the guild can ignore either, though. Would you mind helping us out?
Well...I suppose. We're well stuck into the situation, after all.
What would you like to know?
Well, uh. To start with, do you have any idea who would've sent that letter? Like, does anyone in the Republic oppose the signing of the pact, or...
Well, of course. You're looking at one, after all.
Huh?
Elsa, please. Try not to tease the kids too much, yeah?
Well, the truth's the truth, Zane. I'm pretty sure I've chewed your ear off about Erebonia enough for you to know what I think, hmm?
Well...yes.
Haha. Still, Miss Bright, don't misunderstand me. President Rocksmith and Parliament have already approved the pact. My personal feelings won't get in the way of my job.
Er, right...
Is there anyone else from Calvard who might oppose the pact?
Oh, certainly. They're all tiny groups, though. And to be honest, there's no real reason to oppose it, anyway.
No...reason? I don't quite follow.
It's not worth bothering! The pact doesn't have any practical effect. It's simply agreeing to the statement 'We shall not rely on violence to solve international problems and negotiate instead.' It's more of a declaration than anything else. But...
It is little more than a promise which can be broken without consequences, save a loss of face, no?
Precisely. The worst it could do would be to rally other countries against the aggressor.
Now, it's true that relations between Erebonia and Calvard have gotten even WORSE than usual over the past decade...So there is some value in establishing Liberl as a place where we can negotiate. But again, who'd bother opposing that?
Yeah...It doesn't really seem like the thing you'd send a bunch of threatening letters about.
Well, Ambassador Cochrane.
If you don't believe someone from Calvard is the perpetrator, then whom do you suspect?
Heh...Well. My gut, of course, tells me to blame it all on the Erebonians. Their militaristic 'hawk' faction, specifically.
But frankly...even they have that new engine on the line. They aren't so stupid as to cut off their noses to spite their faces.
The new engine? Wait, you mean the one from the Arseille?
Yes. An engineering sample will be provided to both Calvard and Erebonia. It'll happen right after the signing, in fact.
Whoa!
Ah, as to be expected of Queen Alicia. She holds both Empire and Republic in the palm of her hand.
Yes. I have to admit, she's handled this masterfully.
That cutting-edge engine is going to birth a whole new generation of airship designs. And Alicia is practically handing it out, so long as you sign this agreement...and play nice with it and each other, at least for a while. Even the most testosterone-poisoned ninnies among the Erebonian hawks wouldn't want to miss this chance.
Yeah, I guess so.
Which means, of course...that the possibility of either the Republic OR the Empire interfering directly is pretty low.
Indeed. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.
No, you were a big help! Just being able to cross suspects off the list helps a lot!
Oh, speaking of which, though, we'd like to ask you about something else...

quote:

Estelle asked Ambassador Cochrane about Renne's parents.
Harold Hayworth, a merchant from Crossbell...Hmm...
I can't say it rings any bells, I'm sorry. He's never visited the embassy, at least.
Darn...Well, thanks.
Do remember that Crossbell sits directly between Erebonia and Calvard, however. You may want to inquire at the Erebonian embassy, as well.
Okay, thanks, Ambassador. And thanks for being so open with us.
You're quite welcome. I'm glad I could help. By the way...you said your name was Estelle Bright. You wouldn't happen to be Brigadier General Bright's daughter?
Oh! You know Dad?
Haha! Of course. The heroic vanquisher of the Imperial Army, and now the head of Liberl's Royal Army...I'd heard he had a daughter, but I didn't expect to meet you like this.
Er, um, well, I'm just kind of an inexperienced newbie myself, still...
You're off to a good start, then, I think. We at the embassy have relied on the guild a number of times in the past. Should the time come again, I hope you'll aid us, Ms. Bright.
Ahaha...Well, if the chance comes up, sure!
Well, we'll see you around!

Private Bergan: OLIVIER?! Where in the hell have you BEEN?!
Why, I've been places. What's wrong?
Private Bergan: Hmph. 'What's wrong?', he says...You've been totally incommunicado ever since you went to Elmo! Major Vander's about ready to throw you out a window.
Ah, he wishes to launch me like a love rocket! Adorable.
Uh...Olivier?
Did you seriously forget to tell Mueller and the embassy you were with us?
Ha-ha-ha! When wandering the roads, hunting for love, one must be discreet and secretive!
Well, Bergan. May we enter?
Private Bergan: I can't say no to you, but, uh...who's with you?
Oh! We're from the Bracer Guild. We'd like to ask the ambassador a few things, if that's okay. We thought we'd try having Olivier introduce us...
Private Bergan: Oh, okay. Well, there shouldn't be a problem with letting you in, then.

Private Bergan: Do remember that the embassy is Erebonian soil, so be careful, yeah?
We will be!

-Royal Castle-

Whoa...This place definitely matches the Calvardian embassy in terms of fanciness.
Grandiose, and yet powerful at the same time.
It's very Imperial, if nothing else.
Hm. It is a stage upon which the Empire can parade its influence and power.
Alas that the actors are unequal to the set dressing...
Man's Voice: You realize Lord Crainagh would hit the roof if he heard you say that.

It has been an age! Are you well, dear Mueller?
I would be better if I could cut you in half and be done with it. I told you, again and again, to ensure we're constantly aware of your location, and you--
Ah, but 'tis a tactic in the war of love. Did you know? Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
...Estelle Bright, you have my thanks. I can only imagine the trouble this idiot's been causing you.
Haha...Actually, he hasn't been TOO bad, I guess.
He's been really well-mannered. Comparatively.
Well, ignoring the lunatic...
I presume you have business here at the embassy?
Yes, sir. We would like to speak to the ambassador.

quote:

Estelle explained her desire to meet with the ambassador concerning the letter.
That letter, right...
I've been somewhat concerned myself, but I'm surprised the guild is acting. This is a request from Brigadier General Bright and the Royal Army, I take it.
Technically, yes, but...We're trying to investigate it as neutrally as we can, y'know? Nobody's guilty till proven, that kind of thing.
Hm. A commendable mindset. No doubt why he chose you. Very well. I shall introduce you to Lord Ambassador Crainagh. I suspect you'll find it easier to gain his trust if I do the introductions as opposed to a certain someone.
Really? Thanks, Mueller!
Yeah, thanks.
Thank you, sir.
Um, wait...You really have so little faith in me...?
You, uh, thought we had faith in you for this?
If you introduced us, he'd probably want to have us kicked out.
Um...Sorry, Olivier.
Ah! The sting of being forsaken!
The sting of the truth, maybe.
Lord Crainagh is in his office on the second floor. I shall go announce your arrival. Give me a moment.
We'll wait, then.

Camilla: Are these your guests?
Indeed, one could call them guests, but I'm more inclined to think of them as my soul mates.
Our days spent together have been so tender, so sweet, I feel to merely call this force 'love' does a disservice to our bond.
Is that not so, Estelle?
Camilla: My...Wait, does this mean you've dumped Mueller?!
My...My head hurts...I think I'm starting to understand Mueller's suffering...
Camilla: I wonder who Olivier's REALLY targeting. What do you think? Is Mueller still his one and only, or has he moved on to greener pastures?
Why, you need only ask!
NO. THANKS.

Nathan: To learn about someone's nation, start with their culture. You're free to read them, but please put them back where you found them once you're done.

...GOD DAMMIT

Heh, indeed. Shall we make our grand entrance and shock the ambassador into silence?
Mueller CAN totally cut you in half, you know.

Let's go, then.

I am Lord Davil Crainagh, the duly appointed ambassador and voice of the Empire in this land.
Um, I'm Estelle Bright of the Bracer Guild.
Zane Vathek, also of the guild.
I'm Kloe Rinz, second-year student at the Jenis Royal Academy and assistant to the bracers.
And I...am the servant of love and peace, Olivier Lenheim!
Ergh...You.
I'd heard you'd gone missing in Elmo Village. Try not to worry Mueller further...Olivier. Or me, for that matter.
Such a strict dressing down. Much more and I'll have to lose my jacket.
Mmmmmph. Setting that aside...You are here to inquire about the threatening letter, yes? What do you want to know?
Okay, I'll be direct, sir. Do you have any idea who might be behind the letter? Is there anyone in the Empire who might oppose the signing of the pact?
Hm! You ARE direct, young bracer. I appreciate that.
I can tell you truthfully, however, that I can think of no such person. His Majesty is very happy with the pact as it stands, in fact. And no one within the Empire would be foolish enough to gainsay his leadership on such a matter, of course.
U-Uh...Yeah, I...bet...
So you think it's the work of someone outside the Empire, then?
What other answer could there be? If you want my opinion, it's the 'opposition party' in Calvard behind all this. Some silly ploy to make the 'president' look bad, no doubt. Opposition! Doing whatever it pleases! This is a perfect example of the fallacies of mob rule.
Huh. I have to question that, ah, your lordship.
Don't get me wrong, our major political parties basically beat each other over the head any time they can. But...Even if the pact fell apart due to this, I don't think anyone could blame it on President Rocksmith.
Details! You think the mob thinks like that? Pah.
All I can say for certain is that the person issuing these threats cannot be from our Empire. That should be more than enough assurance for you.
W-Well...Um...
Excuse me, Lord Crainagh?
May I ask what Chancellor Osborne's opinion of the non-aggression pact is?
What?!
Hmmm...
Heh. Flawless riposte, Kloe.
Um...Who?
The highest appointed official of our most glorious and august government--the Blood and Iron Chancellor, Giliath Osborne. His nickname comes from his personal motto: 'Our nation's peace must be built on a foundation of blood and iron.' He has overseen the expansion of the rail system...as well as the annexation of several smaller states on our borders through...less than diplomatic means.
Annex...? W-Wait, you mean he--
O-OLIVIER! How can you criticize your empire's chancellor?!
Oh, but, Davil, how was I criticizing? I simply stated the facts.
But come now, it wouldn't hurt to be a bit more cooperative, no? We've already spoken with the lovely Ambassador Cochrane over at the Calvardian embassy. She was quite helpful, you see.
What?!
Why, if we don't help these people now, it will give them cause to doubt the character of Erebonia! That would be a tragedy, wouldn't you agree?
Grrrrrrgh...
My Lord Crainagh. There's no need to keep information related to this hidden. May I humbly suggest that being open in this case will not present a problem?
Mmm. You have a point, Mueller. Very well.
To answer your question, miss, Chancellor Osborne, like His Majesty, is most receptive to this pact. In fact, I hear he is actually the one who suggested His Majesty should sign it.
Really...
Hmm.
That's because he's looking forward to getting the engine, right?
No. Apparently, he recommended it to His Majesty before any mention of the engine.
If anything, I'm glad there is harmony at home over this pact. There's been no pressure for us to negotiate.
Hmmm...
Hate to say it, Estelle, but it's looking like there really isn't any chance it's someone from the Empire.
Yeah, looks that way.
Ambassador, thanks a lot for answering our questions.
Hmph! See? It is as I said. If you're looking for the guilty party, you should look elsewhere.
Oh, but, uh, one sec!
If you don't mind, we have one more question...

quote:

Estelle asked Lord Crainagh about Renne's parents.
Hmm, yes...A most pitiable situation, the separation of a child from her parents.
Imperial traders do visit the embassy at times, but...A merchant from Crossbell? I do not recall such a man, no. Are you familiar with this Hayworth, Mueller?
No...I've never heard of the man, either.
Really? Awww...
This is starting to look kinda grim.
To search at once for a blackmailer and a lost child's parents sounds most trying. It may seem trite, but I do wish you luck, young lady.
Uh...Thanks, Miste- er, Lord Crainagh!
Allow me to show you to the gate, then.
The path of the bracer continues to prove itself a harsh one, indeed. Several months ago, I'd received reports concerning the Bracer Guild. Various branches have been attacked in my country, one after the other.
Given that you're bracers yourselves, I fear that you may be an easy target for whoever is responsible.
I wish you and your fellow bracers well. Do not lose hope.

Let's not be too hasty to leave. I smell a dastardly Erebonian cover-up.

Nathan: This book is banned in Erebonia! Who p-put this on the shelf...?
(...)
Nathan: Crap, crap, craaaap. If Ambassador Crainagh knew, I'd get an earful. Ah! I know! You there. Take this book!

quote:

Received Gambler Jack - Vol. 4.

Talking with the ambassador was a big help.
No, you don't need to thank me. I didn't do anything important, really. Besides, this is a problem affecting all our nations. We should be working together.
Hah! Indeed.
I do hope we can solve this...
Huh? Olivier, you're awfully quiet.
Hm? Ah, it's nothing...I was simply lost in reverie for a moment. It...doesn't concern our current business. Pay me no mind.
Oooookay...?
Olivier. You'll be staying at the embassy in the evenings while you're here in Grancel, yes?
Heh, where else? I would not miss the chance to have more sweet dreams in your bed, as always.
Wh-Whaaaaaaat?!
Oh...my...
...Stop with the jokes before you give the ladies too many ideas. And images. Push those jokes too far and I may have to spear you upon the embassy flagpole.
Ah, so that's the direction I should approach from! You teach me more every day.
Hm, alternately. I could just cut you in half right here. I'm fairly sure I could explain it to Lord Crainagh.
That...would be rather less lovely. Forgive the joke, my friend.
Ahaha...So that's how you keep Olivier under control. Maybe I should write this down...
Haha! I'd say they match each other perfectly myself.
...That's a terrifying thought.
Well, regardless, I shall pardon myself here. Good luck with the rest of your investigation.
Thanks again, Mueller!

How about we put the Liberl News aside for the moment and go to Grancel Castle instead?
After you!

Oh man, we haven't been to Kloe's house in forever! Let's all have tea with her grandma!

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 19, 2016

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Sorry Renne, Tita's just begun on her twelve hour lecture on the entire history of the spinning wheel.

Zane sure seems pretty popular with the ladies down at the the embassy.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The Doll Knight series is kinda strange, but it has some very nice foreshadowing. Which is only obvious in retrospect, too..

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Erpy posted:

For the most part, people who join your party stick around for the long term. Although there ARE some sections where characters are briefly unavailable, only to return later in the chapter and because they don't leave for a long time, the game doesn't unequip them.

That I can work with. It just sucked when you get in a groove with certain characters (Schera in particular, you have her the longest) and then all of a sudden you lose them until the end of the game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 30, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I hope that wasn't the last Bleublanc sidequest. Dude has some excellent puzzle styles.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Set up for fire arts and get some Freeze prevention before you track down Bleublanc's latest clue. You can buy Anti-Cold Helmets at Edel's just across the street.

The entrance should be kept locked as long as there's no show like the martial arts tournament.
In which case...
Heh, it seems this is our goal then.
All right, let's get inside.

-Engaged People in Secret Maneuvers-

Feels like we were here just yesterday.
Just standing here has me recalling the admiring roar of the audience.
You were invited to the castle after you won the Martial Arts Competition, right, Estelle?
I wish I could have joined you on the field.
Yeah, it's a shame Kloe couldn't get an invitation to the castle.
Ahaha. Thinking about it, I was still pretty amateurish.
But, you know, once this whole thing is cleared up, I'd like to take part in next year's Martial Arts Competition. To test my own ability, for one.
Now that sounds like Cassius' daughter to me!
I'd like to join in on the action, too.
I, uh, don't really feel like I'd have a chance against you, Zane...
Well, then I shall sing from the seats to cheer you on, Estelle.
I will serenade my love for you as mightily as I can!
...Pass.
Haha...

*CLANK*

This feels reminiscent of some old coliseum games...
The setting is certainly apt.
It's a pity we lack an audience.
...Here they come!

-Challenger Invited-

This encounter can be quite enLIGHTNING, but it may leave you feeling SHOCKED and reVOLTed if you don't know WATT'S WATT.

wait a second

-Engaged People in Secret Maneuvers-

Wh-What was that...?
It was like a magic trick...
What a fabulous display.
He is a fitting rival, indeed.
He's even weirder than I thought he'd be.
Well, whatever. Let's check the contents.
Yep.

quote:

Received Portrait of Arseille. There was a card stuck to the bottom of the box.

quote:

Did you enjoy the show I prepared for your arrival? As I do not wish to upset the mood of our main role, it is time for the supporting actors to take their bows. I hope you will look forward to our next chance meeting.
Pfft, some chance meeting. I wish he'd cut it out.
But, there's something curious about it. Main role? Supporting actors...? What does that mean?
Now that you mention it...
Ah, screw it. Let's go return the photo to the archives.

Museum Director: Still, why would that 'Phantom Thief' fellow steal a portrait of the Arseille? It certainly is lovely, but it's really nothing more than a simple portrait. It holds little monetary value.
Well, he doesn't really care about value so much as he cares about pulling off a good prank or two.
And it's probably our fault that the museum got wrapped up in his latest one. Sorry for putting you through all this.
Museum Director: Haha, no need to apologize. It wasn't your doing. And if anything, I'm pleased with how you handled this. Excellent work. This has been a good experience from a management perspective. I will need to be careful to ensure it never happens again.

The spinning wheel's really simple, but it condensed a lot of different inventions into it. The person who created this is pretty incredible, huh.
I wanna invent something like this someday.
(And she's gotten started...)
Tita always gets this weird look in her eyes when she sees a machine.
Is she always like this?
S-Sorry. That's pretty much her default setting.

-Royal Castle-

quote:

Trout spat out Mirage Sepith x50.

Private Aluts: Say...you're the winners of the Martial Arts Competition, right?
Ah, haha...Yeah, that's us.
Thanks for your help back then.
Private Dan: Hey, no worries! So what brings you here today? If you're here to see someone, that can certainly be arranged.
Private Aluts: Or did you just want to have a walk around the palace? That's okay, too.
Um, actually, I'm here on bracer business today...

Private Dan: Y-Your Highness!
Private Aluts: Princess Klaudia! We were not aware you'd returned!
Haha. Sorry to startle you two. I'm afraid I'm here on business, though.
Estelle and I have some things in the castle to attend to. Could you let us pass, please?
Private Dan: Of course, Your Highness!
Private Aluts: By your command, milady!
(Um...wow.)
(Heh. Only slightly popular, isn't she?)
(Think I'm starting to get why that duke guy is so jealous.)

Private Aluts: Open the gate!

*BONG, BONG, BONG*

Haha. Thank you, you two.

Uh, thanks!

So, obviously we should talk to Queen Alicia, both to ask about the letter and just say hi, but...
Lesse...Who else...Julia's gone, right?
Yes, she's currently at Leiston Fortress overseeing the refitting of the Arseille.
Well, that's going to make things a bit harder on us. She probably could've given us a lot of help with this case.
Who else could we confer with, I wonder?
With Julia absent, I think our best bet is Hilda, at least concerning Renne's parents. If the Hayworths have ever visited the castle, she would know.
Yeah, Hilda kinda seems to have some sort of 'castle sense' about these things. So where would we find them, you think?
Grandmother should be in her chambers at this hour.
And Hilda...Hm.
If she isn't in the maids' room, they can tell us where she is, at least.
Good idea.
Maids' room and the queen's chambers. Off we go!

Shea: And Miss Klaudia? Mister Zane, too?! P-Pardon me! It's been quite some time.
Haha, it sure has!
Yeah, reminds me of when you lent me your maid uniform, Shea.
Ohh...Estelle as a maid?
Yeah, it was to meet with the queen. Oh, and Joshua had to wear one, too. Shea did her magic on his face with her makeup!
She was all pumped up to do it.
Oh, my...
Shea: Th-Thank you very much...
Joshua, who once played the role of Princess Cecilia so perfectly also portrayed a maidservant...Ohhh, noble endeavors both...I am sure it must have been quite beauteous to behold.
I regret all the more I could not attend the duke's banquet.
Haha...
Oh, right, Shea. Do you know where Hilda is?
Shea: I believe Mistress Hilda is in the library. As I recall, she said she had something to look up.
The library, got it.

Hilda and the queen are both upstairs from here.

The library is in the west wing, and access to the rooftop and royal chambers is in the east.

Royal Guardsman: If you're looking for Her Majesty the queen, she's currently resting in her room.
Other Royal Guardsman: Please, pass through.

See that little divot in the banister? That's where Estelle kicked the poo poo out of Dunan and terrified him into knocking himself unconscious. Ah, the memories.

Huh?
Grandmother?

Bwuh, Sieg?
I see...
Haha. Sieg was being thoughtful, wasn't he?

Welcome home, Klaudia. And Estelle! You are always welcome so long as I remain Queen.
Your father explained everything, not long after you left to train. It pains me to know you carry such a burden.
Oh...
Um, ah, thank you very much, Your Majesty.
Still, I know what I gotta do, and Kloe's been a huge help! So I'm okay. Don't worry!
Hm. I see...
Your soul has gained new steel since we met last, Estelle. Mr. Vathek and...Mr. Lenheim. Both of you, of course, are also welcome in my home.
Let us retire to my chambers. I shall have some tea prepared.

Ah...So you've come about the letters. I wasn't aware they had been sent to the cathedral and the embassies as well...
Your fears are not groundless. It is difficult to think of such lengths as a mere childish prank.
Yes, Your Highness. That's why we're trying to talk to people affiliated to the case, to see if we can find some clues...
Grandmother, do you have any idea who might be responsible? Especially someone...within Liberl...
Hmm.
Klaudia. What do you think?
Me...?
As a possible heir, your thoughts should daily be on the forces moving within our nation. Would you share your opinion with me?
V-Very well...
*deep breath*
I don't believe there is any force in the country which is truly opposed to the pact. I've heard in various places, however, that following the coup, some of our extreme right-wing citizens are feeling very concerned. Their frustrations might be at the root of these letters...maybe.
They probably just want the name of the kingdom changed.
Hmm-hmm...Very good.
My opinion is more or less the same.
Sorry, but, uh, I don't quite follow...
Alan...ah, Colonel Richard...was not the only man who approved of the idea of expanding and empowering our military.
In the wake of the failed coup, however, the matter is effectively untouchable. I can only imagine all who share his mindset are quite dissatisfied, and worried, for our safety.
Okay, so...You think the letters are from believers in military control and expansion? Like the Intelligence Division guys still on the run?
That would be the short of it, yes.
If that is the case...then I would say I bear the responsibility for this as much as they. It was my beliefs that led them to take such action in the first place, after all.
Grandmother...
I dunno, I don't think they have the right to be all 'blarrr, let's threaten people and be scary because we're sore losers.'
No. There are few things more precious than the freedom to express one's self, Estelle. Remember, even those who promote military empowerment and a war footing do so out of a love for Liberl and its people. They have as much right to express that idea as any of us have ours. And listening to such opinions and choosing how to guide the country...that is a ruler's responsibility.
Though, in that case...I rather doubt they'll actually try to stop the ceremony, yes?
Assuming the letter is from the expansionists, yes, that's quite possible. With Colonel Richard under arrest, they have little power with which to act.
The problem lies with the idea that someone else may be responsible. If that is the case, then I fear I can offer you little advice or knowledge.
Aww, rats.
Queen Alicia, if I may broach a question?
Of course...Olivier. Whatever you wish.
Why are you so determined to act upon this non-aggression pact NOW? Your own country is still deeply confused and unsettled from the coup attempt. Most rulers would think this is a time to focus solely on one's own country, not the affairs of others.
Olivier, you ARE talking to a queen, you know...
He knows. That's why he's not hitting on her yet.
Hmm-hmm...It's all right, Estelle. Olivier has a point.
The plans and proposals for the pact, however, far predate the coup. Further delays would only harm the dignity of the nation. The Crossbell issue is causing a great deal of friction again as well, and I hope this can help.
Hmm.
Crossbell...That's where Renne's from, isn't it?
Yes, it lies due northeast of here, over the Krone Mountains and directly between Erebonia and Calvard. Both the Republic and Empire claim it should be part of their governments, and some Crossbellans want total independence...It's quite a mess.
Crossbell's basically a fishbone stuck in two throats at once. All the issues surrounding it just get called the 'Crossbell Problem.'
I see...Boy, no wonder people get worked up about it, then.
Ah. So your aim is to pluck out the bone with this pact, then?
To continue the analogy...it is not a bone that can be removed in one gesture, sadly. If I can open a way to resolve the issue, however, yes. Laying the groundwork for resolving that issue will strengthen peace across the entire region...and people will remember Liberl spurred it on.
Heh...I have underestimated you even more than I previously thought. Our invasion of Liberl was far more of a fool's errand than I'd even imagined. That much, at least, is painfully obvious to me now.
What are you going on about...
OH! Wait, Crossbell, Renne, duh! Sorry to change the subject, Your Majesty, but...

quote:

Renne asked Queen Alicia about Renne's parents.
My goodness...A child, abandoned at the Royal Villa? I must instruct Raymond to keep me better informed, it seems.
I know it's a shot in the dark, but I don't suppose you have any idea where they might be, Your Majesty?
No, I am very sorry, but I do not. However...
If they visited the castle, especially recently, Hilda would know of it. You should speak with her, if you have not already done so.
Okay, we will!
Should you wish, I can also contact Mayor MacDowell and the Crossbell government. If that would help, ask whenever you need.
Oh, uh, thanks!
Grandmother, thank you for all your help.
We need to move on, unfortunately.
But...Um...
Don't be nervous. I know what you wish to say, I think.
You will be staying in the castle tonight, yes? Let us speak then, once you are no longer busy.
All right...

I would say she is the only person on the continent with that sense of...balance.
Yeah. Sort of feels weird to say, coming from a democracy, but she's the perfect ruler. I kind of envy Liberl, to be honest.
Hmmhmm. Of course! She's the queen, after all.
Kloe? What's wrong?
Oh, it's nothing.
I was just struck again by how incredible a woman Grandmother is. I...really doubt I can ever live up to her.
Oh...
Hm. Princess? When did Her Majesty the Queen take the throne?
Hmm? Oh, she was...twenty, if I recall correctly.
And may I ask your age?
I'm sixteen, but wh--
...Ah.
Heh. My point. I truly doubt Her Majesty was a master politician the day she took the throne. And you are not yet even as old as she was when she first donned the purple. I see little point in comparing yourself to her as she is now. Wouldn't you agree?
We martial artists tend to say that only those with the proper capacity can achieve kotow--'unity of purpose.' Even those with the greatest innate skill, like, say, Walter, only reach their peak through a journey of a thousand steps.
I think Her Majesty believes you have the capacity to get there, Princess. Just take it one step at a time. Don't worry.
Olivier...Zane...
Thank you. Really...
Good job, you two! Kloe's going to be an awesome queen someday. I guess you get good with pep talks as you get older, huh?
Hm? 'Get older'? How rude! I'm a fresh, YOUTHFUL twenty five. Five years younger than Zane here, even!
You're one to call out someone on being rude, Olivier...
Heeheehee...
Anyway...shall we go speak with Hilda?
Yeah, that should be step two. She's in the Library in the left wing, if I remember right.

'Choose the best path, and then walk it.'
To put it into words is simple, but nothing is harder than putting it into practice. He is one of the few who knows how to walk such paths. I'm sure he'd dearly love to spend his days living peacefully with you, Estelle. I must never lose sight of being a queen worthy of loyalty like your father's.

I got lost in the garden terrace again :saddowns:

Hello, Hilda. I'm sorry if I startled you, but I just got back.
Er, hi, Hilda! Sorry I've been out of touch.
It's quite all right. I'm glad to see you well. I understand the princess has been assisting you, Estelle. I'm very glad to see the two of you home safe.
Aww, Hilda...
Haha. You're embarrassing Estelle, Hilda.
Speaking of helping Estelle, though, I've returned partially to inquire about something the guild is investigating. Could we ask you a few questions, Hilda?
If I can be of assistance, ask me anything.
I think there are a few too many onlookers to speak here, however...Let us borrow a guest room.

You're attending to the investigation of that letter we received, then.
I take it you want to know if I have any idea who the sender might be?
That's it exactly. We're investigating all the locations that received letters to see if we can ferret out some clues.
Well, firstly, thank you for your efforts. Just receiving that letter was...unsettling.
I'm afraid I can be of little aid in naming suspects, however. The only thing I can say with confidence is that it is not the work of anyone in this castle.
Yeah, we kinda figured that one.
Who was the letter here addressed to, out of curiosity?
No less a person than Her Majesty herself. I check all letters addressed to the queen, so I know the contents of the letter.
Believe me, if I could lay hands on the rude fool who wrote that...
Ah, pardon me. I was wondering, were there any other suspicious letters delivered to the castle recently? Ones critical of royal decisions, for example.
Ah. Well.
Hilda, please, help us for my sake, if no one else's. We need as much information as we can in order to make a judgment.
Very well...
There have been several letters delivered with no indication as to their senders. They were not particularly critical of...royal decisions, per se. They were, largely, petitions to reduce or annul Colonel Richard's sentence. I suspect at least some are from citizens of Grancel, but the rest I cannot be sure on.
People want Colonel Richard freed?
Hm! No less than expected of the man who once strove to be my rival. His popularity endures, even after his capture and shaming.
The colonel was very skilled and competent, and everyone knows that...It isn't unusual at all to see people regret 'losing' him.
I would personally bet on those letters not being related to our little threat.
Requesting something of the royal hand is one thing, trying to force it to do something is a whole different thing all together.
Well, still, even knowing the letters exist helps.
Oh, one more thing, Hilda. I wanted to ask about something else...

quote:

Estelle asked Hilda about the Hayworths.
Harold Hayworth, a trader from Crossbell? Yes, I remember him.
Say WHAT?!
Is he an acquaintance of yours, Hilda?
Not as such. He asked for a tour of the castle interior a few days ago. I happened to be otherwise unoccupied, so I showed him about. His wife and daughter were with him, as well.
Really? Hey!
Alas, this provides us with little clue as to where the Hayworths may have gone.
Yes, my apologies. There was...something that bothered me, however.
What would that be?
Their child greatly enjoyed the tour. However...Her parents felt as though they were barely even present throughout the entire thing. They seemed even-tempered and normal enough when they spoke to me, but when combined with your story, I wonder if they were under strain.
Not able to pay attention after coming to see a place as a tourist...
Sounds like something was on their minds, all right.
Yes, it seems likely they were in some kind of trouble, even then.
Hm. This may give us a clue as to where they went.
Thank you very much, Hilda. I think this gives us some good leads.
I'm glad I could be of help. Oh, Princess. You'll be staying here in the castle tonight, I trust? And if your friends lack accommodations...
Buh?
I had intended to stay here while in Grancel, yes, but...hmm! Well, how about it, everyone?
Ah, you forget! They are expecting me to be a pest at the embassy tonight, and I can hardly disappoint. I do appreciate the offer, however.
Yeah, and I've got what's basically a permanent room at the Calvardian embassy. Thanks, but I think I've got to decline this time.
I should probably go ask Agate and Tita before committing to anything. We've got Renne, too.
That's true. It sounds like she loves the castle.
I shall keep the rooms ready in case you wish to stay.
Thanks, Hilda!
Thank you, Hilda...
Not at all. I must return to the maid quarters. Please, let me know if you need anything else. If you'll pardon me...

That about wraps it up here, I think. Back out into the city?
Yeah, let's go.

Nial should be back by now, hopefully.
Yeah, hopefully!
All right. Let's get over to that newspaper.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 19, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Of course Olivier joined our merry band without telling his official babysitter Mueller. :allears: I am not surprised by this revelation at all.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 30, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 30, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

:stare:
Aidios that foreshadowing

More Olivier than ever indeed. :allears:
Although he could have given us the book instead of trolling the embassy.

E: and of course Not Germany has Not Bismarck, does he even have the same nickname?

Omobono fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 17, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think Otto was just "the Iron Chancellor," although he did get that nickname from a famous blood-and-iron speech.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 9, 2016

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Really Pants posted:

You, uh, thought we had faith in you for this?

:allears:

I find Crainagh a bit interesting as a character. While he's obviously a very traditionalist kind of person he's still very keen on trying to be diplomatic and amicable. Other games would probably paint him as entirely antagonistic towards the party, but here, he's very willing to work with them. He's not QUITE as open as Cochrane, but he's at least presented well enough that you can see why he's the Empire's ambassador, especially after that scene earlier.

Also, Muller is the best.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Omobono posted:

:stare:
Aidios that foreshadowing

It's insane how much enjoyment one can derive from a second playthrough or just reading through that last update. The trails series' story is very, very well crafted.

Death Priest fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 18, 2016

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I heard that Chancellor Osborne is a major character in Trails of Cold Steel so interesting how he gets name dropped here and everything.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

This series is great at setting stuff up that doesn't fully pay off until like... four games later. Man, I wish the localization of these games wasn't such a struggle.

Anyway, really liked this bit for showing off Olivier and Kloe's political savvy.

JTDistortion
Mar 28, 2010
Olivier is always great, but he's really at his best when tormenting Mueller. The whole embassy scene is wonderful.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Bismarck's Germany was often referred to as a land of rye and iron after the most powerful economic interests of old Prussia, but I don't know if the Chancellor himself was ever identified with the term.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

StrifeHira posted:

:allears:

I find Crainagh a bit interesting as a character. While he's obviously a very traditionalist kind of person he's still very keen on trying to be diplomatic and amicable. Other games would probably paint him as entirely antagonistic towards the party, but here, he's very willing to work with them. He's not QUITE as open as Cochrane, but he's at least presented well enough that you can see why he's the Empire's ambassador, especially after that scene earlier.

Also, Muller is the best.
Agreed, Crainagh is believably withholding stuff from the party and both embassies generally match the opinions of their representatives with us: Calvard is relatively open, Erebonia seems open but requires a bit more prodding to get the same results.

Also Renne's parents as the enforcers is highly likely.
Renne being the enforcer is also likely.

Practically no probability that the Enforcers aren't involved in this because it seems they're mucking about in Erebonia's Bracer Guilds.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also Renne's parents as the enforcers is highly likely.
Renne being the enforcer is also likely.

Practically no probability that the Enforcers aren't involved in this because it seems they're mucking about in Erebonia's Bracer Guilds.
I fully expect Renne to be the next major Enforcer boss battle at this point, and to be holding Tita hostage as well.

Unfortunately, this means Renne will find out just how stupid it is to anger Tita's unofficial older brother and sister. The hard way.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

EponymousMrYar posted:

Actually, that's already a thing of the past. Bracer Guilds throughout Erebonia were attacked during the events of the first game. It's the incident that was investigated by Cassius while Estelle and Joshua were doing their junior bracer tour and was instigated for the specific purpose of getting Cassius out of Liberl. It was revealed earlier in SC that it was Campanella who orchestrated the attacks together with the Jester jaeger division and that Jester received some god-tier asskicking from Cassius.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

In the Falcom thread someone posted a video from Third Chapter about the incident. It seems the imperial secret services upgraded Cassius' threat level from 4 to 5 out of 5 after the whole shebang, with comments like, "no wonder Liberl repelled us with him at the helm".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's kind of interesting that neither of the diplomatic corps are really aware of any significant opposition to this whole thing. The Empire was even into it before they learned there'd be an engine! So... well, honestly I wonder why. Maybe they think it's just toothless and will look good for no real cost to the country?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I'll be done soon, so would you wait just a little bit longer? Once we're done questioning, we'll head back to the guild.
Really? Okay. I'll go back and wait.
Yeah, let's all get dinner together.
Estelle, hurry and finish work so we can head back.
The ice cream here is so yummy, too...
Why won't Agate eat any with me?
Maybe he doesn't like ice cream?
I don't think that's quite it.
This is Agate we're talking about. He's probably just embarrassed, so he's turning you down.
S-So he doesn't want to be with a kid like me, you mean? Do you think I could get him to eat some with me when I'm older?
Hmm, I dunno...Why don't you ask him yourself?
But, a grown-up Tita and Agate...
What a waste on someone like Agate.
Huh?

The entrance to Grancel's west sewers is right near the Liberl News.

-Steel Floor Blocking The Way-

quote:

[To-Go/HP2400/Cures All Status Ailments]
The real mystery is why anyone would eat this.
♪ Mystery Paste, oh Mystery Paste ♪
♪ Now with ten percent less bodily waste ♪
♪ Grab yourself a tube, shove it into your face ♪
♪ Never mind the taste it's MYSTERY PAAASTE! ♪

...I'm sorry. That just crawled into my head from I don't know where, and I couldn't get rid of it without writing it down.

-Obstructive Existence-

These guys are actually pretty nasty.

I guess this is counted as a magic attack? I have no idea why else Zane is taking the most damage, and Kloe the least.

These little blue dwarf-moles have a chance of deathblow on their melee attack.

Well that's a little less health than I'd like :gibs:

Oh and Mad Splash has a chance to Confuse, since it wasn't bad enough already.

The connecting hallway to the east sewers has been sealed off again, so that's pretty much it for now. Let's go see Nial. He won't mind the sewer smell, he smokes like a chimney.

Ah, really?
Editor-In-Chief: Yeah, he's upstairs in the reference room. Haha, that expression's one he wears when he didn't get a scoop.

Heeey, Nial! Hellooooo!
Who in the hell...?
Well, whaddya know! You guys! How ya doin'?
Good day, Nial.
Heh, pardon our intrusion.
Oh, it's that bard guy and...Erm, Your Highness! Er, good day to you, yeah! You even have Zane the Immovable of Calvard with you! You got kind of a gang going here, Estelle.
Haha...A lot of stuff's happened since we met last.
How'd your coverage of the election in Ruan go?
drat well, that's how! Got the article done, thanks in part to you guys. Speakin' of, what brings you by today? Got a hot scoop for your ol' buddy Nial?
Well, actually, we're the ones who'd like to know something. We heard the Liberl News received a threatening letter...
You guys're investigating that thing? I figured the military woulda been taking care of that one.
We're working on request from the military, actually. So, do you know anything?
Well, I just got back to the capital, so I don't know much. To be honest, I'd like to hear what YOU guys know, if anything.
That's real helpful, Nial.
Come now, you're a newsman, a hound for a good story. Surely you must have a clue as to who our villain is?
Tsk...I don't have time for this.
Um, that's a bit impolite, you two.
Nial? I know this is a lot to ask...But, please, if you know anything at all, share it with us. Please.
Whoa, hey, Your Highness! You don't need to lower your head to ME!
For cryin'...Fine, fine.
Okay, so, this is off the record, but...we ain't the only ones who got a letter. Not even close. Leiston Fortress got one...Then the cathedral, the airship company, the Hotel Roenbaum...And then both embassies, Grancel Castle, AND the Erbe Royal Villa all got one too! There were nine letters in total.
Huh? Somethin' wrong?
Er, Nial. We heard that from the military already.
WHAT?!
DAMMIT! That was my big scoop for the day!
Doesn't look like we're going to get much out of this.
Yeah, time to move on, I think...
Now you wait just one second, missy! You keep talkin' like that and Nial Burns, star reporter for the Liberl News, is gonna have a name worth a pile of crap!
All right, all right. Lemme let you in on my take of this whole mess.
Well, okay...
Heh. You may want to be brief, Mr. Burns.
...Fine. Listen up. Here's the short of it. My gut tells me this is some sort of huge prank. The threats aren't real.
We'd thought of that, too.
You sound awfully sure, though. Mind telling us why you're so convinced?
Okay, trick is, I've covered terrorist threats like this before, right? But with this...there's no reality to the threat. Threats only work and have power if they describe, or at least imply, something nasty that's gonna happen, see? These letters have exactly NONE of that.
Hm. Mr. Burns does have a point. 'Disaster will be visited upon you' does not offer much in the way of a specific terror.
Exactly. I've got a hunch this isn't about stopping the signing ceremony at all. This is more about gettin' people worked up over a threat, and then sittin' back and watchin' the fireworks.
I see...That's kind of a good point.
There is some sense behind it.
I'm still bothered by the fact that so many letters were sent, though...And each and every one was sent to a place involved with the ceremony.
Yes. For a prank, whoever did this seems to know a lot about what's happening.
That does seem kinda true...on the surface.
Think about it, though. All that info would be pretty easy to find with a little digging. Hell, I knew about those places, weeks ago. Anyway, I'm gonna be workin' this on the assumption that it's a prank. Maybe you guys should stick to your guns about it being a real threat, and we can compare notes later, eh?
Yeah, good idea!
Thanks, Nial. That actually helped a lot.
Darn right it did. Just stop by if you want to swap stories. I'll be sittin' around here until the pact's signed.
Okay!
Oh, speaking of 'sitting around here'...I don't see Dorothy anywhere.
Ahh, right. She's off working the Bose region. I sent her to snag some photos.
What, for a special of some kind?
Yeah, related to the Royal Army. You remember that old fort the Sky Bandits were using as a base, right? The one you guys busted. The army decided those rats had the right idea, and have claimed and repurposed it as a training facility. They're runnin' airship pilot training out of there now.
Oh, okay. Neat! So she went off to get coverage of the base, then?
That's the idea, yeah. I was a little worried about sendin' her out on her own, but...gotta do it sometime.
Dorothy out on her own, huh? Scary...
Oh! Wait, duh, speaking of girls out on their own!
Uh, what's up?

quote:

Estelle explained the situation with Renne's parents.
Harold Hayworth, a trader from Crossbell...Hm. Never heard of the guy. Pretty sure he's never been in our classifieds...or our 'wanted' column, either.
Figures...
But hey. This is part of the job, right? If you guys are totally stuck, I'll help you out. We can put 'em up in the classifieds, if you want. I even have a few people in Crossbell I could poke.
Thanks, Nial!
Haha...You're way more reliable than I thought you'd be. I think I need to upgrade my opinion of you.
Ha! 'Course you do!
Wait a minute...Whaddya mean? Was I not reliable before?!
Ahaha...Just kidding.
All right! Let's get back to the guildhouse, then. Agate should be back by now.
Hopefully, yes.
Thank you again, Nial.
Eh, it was no big. Come by again anytime.

Hey, where're Tita and Renne?
They returned just before you did. I believe they're enjoying the spoils of a hard-fought shopping campaign on the second floor.
Sounds like they had fun.
Anyway, we've got a lot to report.
Yes, please.

------

I see. Not bad. Sounds like you guys learned a lot.
I guess. We didn't get anything decisive, though.
Agate, did you find anything?
Honestly? I got jack all. The hotel, the cathedral, the airship company...Nobody had a single friggin' clue of who coulda sent the letters.
The head guy at the airship company was sweatin' quartz that a demand for money might come in next...But at this point? Not so much as another peep.
Doesn't really narrow things down much...How likely do you think it is the society's behind all this?
I don't think we can safely say that at this point.
Their primary focus up till now has been experimenting with those bizarre 'Gospel' orbments they possess. And we know the Gospels can create phenomena otherwise unimaginable.
Those devices certainly haven't shown an ability to create threatening letters from nowhere, however.
Yeah, this doesn't really seem like it matches the society's M.O.
Huh...I guess Ruan and Zeiss just have me on edge.
No, it's perfectly understandable.
Regardless, I think we can safely say we've done our part. I'll compile all your testimonies into a report. Could I ask you to deliver it to Colonel Cid at the Erbe Royal Villa tomorrow?
We didn't find the sender in the end, so I feel kinda bad, but I guess it's all we can do.
Oh! Erbe! Right! Agate, did you find anything out about Renne?
I did, actually. Or actually, I...Wait, lemme start over. I went to the hotel first. The kid and her folks stayed there for about two weeks. Same room the entire stay, typical tourist stuff. They just checked out this morning.
Okay...
Then I went to the cathedral. While they were here, the Hayworths came to worship a bunch of times. Thing is, the priest who attended 'em said they felt...'off' when they did. Like they were distracted during prayer or something.
That would match what Miss Hilda said.
Yeah...
And then, at the airship company...
That's where I found zip.
Wait. What?
Harold, Sophia, and Renne Hayworth of Crossbell, right? There have been exactly zero passengers by that name and nationality coming through here for at LEAST half a year.
No way! But--
That IS a mystery...Though perhaps they traveled by land?

Wait a minute...That can't be right. When we first met her, she was talking about landing in an airship.
Right, at Air-Letten. She said she saw a big lake on the way down.
Hm. Troubling.
It's possible they were traveling under assumed names.
Assumed names? Why would they?
They may have had something to hide, or they may have been hiding FROM someone. Either way, they must've known something was wrong before they set out.
I've contacted every guild branch in the country about Renne's parents. For the moment, all we can do is wait for more information to come in.
As for Renne herself...I think it would be best if she stayed in the care of the guild for now.
Yeah. I'd feel terrible if she got wrapped up in something.
This mission kinda feels personal now.
I was going to suggest that, actually. Thank you. The guild will pay for everyone's lodgings while you're in Grancel, naturally. That includes Renne, so don't worry.
Thanks, Elnan.
Oh! Wait, speaking of staying the night...We might not actually need that tonight! You see...

quote:

Estelle told Agate about the invitation to stay at the castle.
My, that's quite an invitation.
Yeah, and I think I'll pass.
The castle's a bit too rich for my blood. I'm not really keen on staying there. 'Sides, it'll be easier for Elnan to reach one of us at the hotel if something happens.
Oh, I hadn't thought of that. We might hear something about Renne's parents...I guess I should stay at the hotel too, then.
Sorry, Kloe.
Haha. No, don't worry. I'll explain the situation to Hilda. I'm sure she won't mind.
Zane and I are to stay at our respective embassies. The princess shall retire to her castle, naturally. So that means you two and the girls will be staying at the hotel, then?
Hmm. Parting on these terms would be dreadfully dull. Since we're all together this evening, shall we enjoy a nice dinner at the bar?
Good idea! And, you know, I'd actually like to hear you play the piano again, Olivier. It's been a while.
Ah, sweet maiden, you know just how to pluck my heartstrings.
Have you come to appreciate a mature flavor at last, I wonder? ♥
I'm going to SNAP those heartstrings if you keep it up.
Snapping or no, we should get going. With a group this large, it could be hard to find seating.
All right, let's gather up the kids and get on over to the bar.

quote:

That evening, Estelle's group and Renne had dinner at the Sunnybell Inn. Olivier, as if it were second nature, took to the piano after a few drinks...Ultimately, even Mueller and Nial were called to come and join. And so passed a pleasant evening in Grancel.

-Under the Moonlight-

Kloe, be careful on your way home!
Haha. It's not that far. I think I'll be fine in the capital.
Huh? Miss Kloe, you live in Grancel?
Um, yes, I do. I'll be staying at my grandmother's house.
Well, if you'll pardon me...
Yeah, see ya tomorrow.
Good night, Kloe!

Olivier even dragged poor Mueller into it!
Yeah, well, you called up that reporter, too, you know.
Haha...Well, I figured, what the heck! Renne, did you have fun?
Heehee! Yeah, yeah, I did! The food was good and everyone was talking about neat stuff! The piano music was really pretty, too.
Yeah! Olivier is really good at it. I was kinda surprised.
Well, he's not all hot air when he calls himself a traveling performer, I guess.
Sure you want to duck out already, Agate? Zane and the others are still having a lot of fun.
Yeah...Honestly, if I tried keeping up with Zane, I might not have a liver in the morning.
Plus, I'm kinda beat from trollin' the city all over today, so I'm just gonna pack it in.
Fair enough! Let's go get our hotel rooms, then.

Fritz: Forgive me, but we were unable to secure a four-person room for you. Would you be willing to accept a pair of two-person rooms?
Oh, sure.
How do you want to split them up, Agate?
Ah, I don't care too much. Set it up however you want.
I want to be with Miss Estelle! You've been busy with work, so we haven't had any time to talk at all.
No fair, Renne! I wanted to be with Estelle, too...
Then you should've said so sooner, slowpoke!
I know! What if all three of us stayed in the same room? We could share a bed!
N-No, that's okay, ahaha...I'll let you borrow Estelle for tonight, Renne.
Heehee! Thank you, Tita!
Um...I think I just got horse-traded.
Then I'll be with you, kiddo. Hah, this reminds me of when we were hiding out with Gramps.
Now that you mention it...
Yeah, it does!

There's a big building outside the window!
Oh...

Er, nothing, really.
More importantly...I'm sorry, Renne. We couldn't find your papa or mama today...
It's okay. Papa and Mama promised they'd come get me. You don't need to search so hard!
But...
Papa and Mama are veeery good at hide and seek. Not as good as me, of course! But still good. So I don't think you'll find them very easily.
Haha. Is that right?
Well, I won't try so hard to find them, but only if you're okay with it.
Yeah, it's okay! It's for the best.
But never mind that right now. I have two big favors to ask of you.
Oh? What's up?
Ah-ah-ahh! I can't tell you unless you promise to do them ahead of time.
Yikes. Did your papa teach you to drive a bargain like that?
Okay, sure. If it's something I can do, I promise I will.
Really? Yay!
The first thing is...Can I call you 'Estelle' from now on?
Huh? Call me...?
Oh! You mean drop the whole 'Miss' part.
Tita gets to call you Estelle all the time, so I don't wanna have to call you 'Miss Estelle'!
Ahaha...Is that right?
All right, I don't mind. I never stood that much on formality, anyway. And it's not like I'm your teacher or anything.
So you really don't mind?
Estelle...Estelle...
Oh, I love it! ♪
Haha, glad you like it.
Call me Estelle as much as you want, Renne.
Okay, Estelle!
Heehee...That makes me happy.
D'aww. That's good. So what was the other thing, Renne?
Oh, yeah! Well...Can you tell me why you were so surprised when we came in the room?
Ah...
You had this really sad, lonely look on your face. I wanna know why. Is that okay?
...Yeah, it's okay.
See, I've actually stayed in this very room before, with someone else. Stepping in here just reminded me of him.
Really?! Was it your looover? Was this your love nest?
Ha...haha...Ah, not quite. He's someone I've known for a really long time, and we've gotten very close, but...well, it's complicated. We're not together right now, though.
Ooooh!
Well, what kind of man is he? Huh? What's his name? What does he look like?
Yikes, questions...His name is Joshua. He has black hair and amber eyes...and he's pretty handsome, I guess.
Actually, you'd really call him more 'beautiful' than handsome, really.
Huh? 'Beautiful'?
Haha, let's just say he made a GREAT princess in a certain play. In fact, it looked amazing on him.
Wow, that sounds fun! Can I meet him? When are you seeing him again? Huh?
I...don't really know, actually.
You don't know when you'll see him again, and that's why you looked sad, right?
Sort of...but I'm okay. I'm going to find him and drag him back home, even if it takes years.
But why did you seem so sad?
Well...because I'm sure Joshua's off somewhere, in way over his head...
And I can't do anything to help him. That makes me sad, I guess.
Haha...Sorry, Renne.
This must be pretty boring since you don't know Joshua and all.
No way! It's neat.
Joshua was a really wonderful person, huh?
Wonderful...? Actually, right now, I think he's a bit of a jerk.
I mean, talk about selfish ways of saying goodbye, taking my f-first...
Hm? First what?
Waaah, uh, nothing at all!
Okay, yep, I'm all tired. Time to go to sleep!
Heeeeeey, no fair!
I'm not going to sleep until I hear the whooole thing!
Boy, I messed that one up...

quote:

After that, Estelle and Renne went to bed, but remained awake for a little while talking about various things. Eventually, once she could hear nothing but Renne's slow, peaceful breathing...Estelle gave in to the exhaustion which had been piling up on her eyelids and fell into sleep herself.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 9, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 30, 2016

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Too bad we don't get to see the bar scene. I wonder what Zane, Olivier, Mueller and Nial talk about while getting smashed?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

The Doomhammer posted:

Too bad we don't get to see the bar scene. I wonder what Zane, Olivier, Mueller and Nial talk about while getting smashed?
: [inappropriate sexual innuendo]
: [threat of physical violence]

Just like every other time.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mzbundifund posted:

Just like every other time.

No, no, no.
It's
Someone: [poignant question Olivier doesn't really want to answer]

Just like every other time

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mmm, 'Bingo' indeed...Looks like we found their trail.
So they're using the Ravennue mine, hm? Just what I'd expect of Richard's men. This is an excellent hiding place.
This is where those Sky Bandits kept that ship they hijacked, right?
That's right. Estelle and I fought the bandits in a large, exposed central hollow area somewhat further ahead.
A nice, big open space, huh? I bet our guys are in the same spot.
So what do you think? Go in for the heroic charge now, or...?
Well, we've no time to contact the army...But no heroics right away, Anelace. First we need to sneak in and see just how large a force they have. Come on.
Right behind you!

But I don't see any trace of...anyone.
Yeah, we totally tracked them here. So where'd all those Intelligence weirdos go?
Did they...notice us? I didn't think we...
Well, let's have a look around anyway, hmm?

Do you see anything, Schera?
I'm drawing a blank.
They were here...but it's impossible to tell if they're just out, or if they abandoned this base. I don't even see any clue as to where they might have gone.
Um, about that, I didn't find any mention of where they were going...but I did find this over in that tent!
Really? Mind if I take a look?

Hmmmm. These are blueprints of some sort. Looks like it's for something named the 'Orgueille'...Unless I'm totally illiterate, these are plans for a vehicle of some sort.
Oooo, 'Orgueille.' That sounds cool! What is it, some kind of airship?
Well, I'm not exactly an engineer, but I don't think so...Those look like--
Hm?
What's wrong?
There's a note in between the pages. 'I've sent out the invitations. I've got the table and chairs ready. Everything's ready for the tea party. Now all I need is to bake some crumpets and wait for the guests to arrive!'
Awww! A tea party! That's really cute.
It's like something out of a storybook.
'The Teatime Putsch, with Special Agent Princess and the Teddy Bear Sleeper Cell.'
Yes...which must mean it's a cipher of some sort.
What do they mean by 'tea party,' I wonder...

No way...How'd they sneak up on us?!
Hmm-hmm. That was a fair bit of sneaking, friends. I take it that's another trick our good friend Lorence taught you?

(I know. Something here isn't right.)
(All right. We'll feint to one side, break one corner of the triangle, and clean up the rest. Can you do it?)
I have no idea what any of that means so I'm just going to smack them all at random.
(Just say when!)
All right! GO! GO!
Right!

-Recapture-

That was...We may have defeated them, but something is terribly wrong here.
Do you think they were on drugs or something? I remember hearing they used something like that to control some thugs in...Ruan, I think?
Yes, that was one of the cases Estelle solved.
But this wasn't like she described. This was like...trying to whip a tree...
Boy's Voice: Ha-HA! What great fun! You two aren't half bad, are you? What a treat.

-The Enforcers-

Campanella's...supposed to be standing there, by the supply tent. Except he's invisible. What a japester.

I am but one hand of the Society of Ouroboros.
O-Ouro...
Finally decided to step out of the shadows, have we? What exactly are you plotting here, boy? Where have the former Intelligence men gone? Answer me!
Haha, I'm sorry. I'm afraid I'm little more than an observer this time. You're asking the wrong person if you want details about the plan. In fact, I barely know them myself.
An 'observer'?
Anyway, if you want to attend that tea party, you'd better hurry. I'm not quite sure where it's being held, but it isn't here.
Or shall we share some coffee instead, and enjoy the dawn together?
Um, kid? You look pretty young. Are you really part of the society?
I don't mean to be insulting, but you might want to get away from them. They're bad people.
You're very kind, miss. But you know...it's okay to laugh at a fool. That's what he's there for.
But worrying about the Fool? Now that's quite rude.
Huh...

*snap*

How...? But they were unconscious!
Ah, you bracers really are naive. If you really want to defeat someone...you have to break them into pieces. Like...so.

*snap*

You...You...That's...How could you...?
Haha! Did I surprise you? It's so easy to break even a well-made toy, isn't it?

Farewell! Hopefully I can give you an encore someday.

-In My Heart-

Sch-Sch-Schera...Um...I...
I know, honey...
At least it was...a quick death. I hope they didn't feel anything. We still can't simply leave them like this, though. It'd be barbaric...even more so than what just happened.
Anelace...try to find some sheets, all right? I'll handle the rest.
R-Right...!
...Wha...?

Um, Schera? I think this arm is...fake.
But that...

-Silence-

I can hardly believe it, but these are--
Man's Voice: --archaisms. Orbal machines capable of independent action.

Father Kevin! What are you doing here?
She remembers me! There's hope for my love life yet!
Ah, but since the little lady over there doesn't know me...I'm Kevin Graham of the Septian Church.
Anyway, you're Scherazard Harvey, if I remember right, and with you is Anelace Elfead, yeah? I don't suppose you'd be up for swapping some stories, would you?

-Creeping Crisis-

-Under the Moonlight-

...You three were impressive, too. We defeated them in a single sweep thanks to your combo attack.
C-Cut it out...Flattery'll get you nowhere.
This is, like, the tenth group, isn't it? How many more do we need to hunt down?!
Hmm. This should be enough.
The Royal Army should move soon, so it would probably be best for us to disappear.
Right, then!
Still, what in the name of hell is the society trying to do?
Why use these...dolls dressed up as Richard's goons?
That's the real question, though. Where the hell are the rest of the Intelligence men?
They've probably gone to the 'tea party' in that note.
The dolls are likely to distract the army from that and make them think Richard's men are still active here.
Makes sense, I guess.
Wish we knew what the hell the 'tea party' was.
Well, we don't have that much of a reason to help, but...
Sure you don't wanna crash that 'tea party,' lad?
The bracers should be investigating that camp by now. We can leave it to the army and the guild.
Yeah, we left 'em the note and plans. That'll be more than enough. And we're taking care of all these freakin' puppet things while the guild's busy.
We can just leave the rest to that airhead and her group, right?
E-Erm, sorry.
Didn't mean to pick at an old wound or anything...
...No. You didn't. They have nothing to do with me anymore.
Once the 'tea party' begins, the army will be focused on that. We can move once that happens.
Right, then!
Time to get busy.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 9, 2016

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 30, 2016

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Huh, thought they fixed the invisible Campanella bug.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The Doomhammer posted:

Huh, thought they fixed the invisible Campanella bug.

I don't think they've released any patches since the game actually came out and I can't really blame them. Localization and QC for the game took four years, I'm sure they don't want to code the game anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

I don't think they've released any patches since the game actually came out and I can't really blame them. Localization and QC for the game took four years, I'm sure they don't want to code the game anymore.

The PC version has received quite a few of them, actually. I think there was one a couple of days ago, too.

• Locked thread