Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

kaosdrachen posted:

Eh. He saw his chance, he made his move, and he quite possibly might have gotten away with it if he hadn't immediately positioned himself as the top priority threat to both the Empire and the Republic.

I'm not sure if the Republic side Ilum arc is a spoiler, but if Malgus hadn't done what he did in the final cutscene, the Republic might very well have decided to leave him alone for the time being, and he could have snapped up a significant chunk of the Empire with little effort.

But he just had to be an rear end in a top hat about it and declare war on both sides simultaneously. He had a good plan and good resources, but as usual for plans made by Sith the biggest glaring flaw in the plan was, well, Sith being Sith.

According to one interview with Bioware, here's the rub: they were not expecting Imperial players to like Malgus so much or want to side with him. They were fully expecting Imperial players to trend strongly towards the dark side and not feel a whiff of remorse about killing Malgus. When the player base turned out to really like Malgus and think he had great ideas, they changed tack and brought in Marr to play to that idea of the Empire that a lot of players liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

kaosdrachen posted:

Eh. He saw his chance, he made his move, and he quite possibly might have gotten away with it if he hadn't immediately positioned himself as the top priority threat to both the Empire and the Republic.

He might have gotten away with it if he hadn't immediately positioned himself next to exposed shafts with no railings.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Bruceski posted:

He might have gotten away with it if he hadn't immediately positioned himself next to exposed shafts with no railings.

He didn't have a single wooden leg to hop on.

Cythereal posted:

According to one interview with Bioware, here's the rub: they were not expecting Imperial players to like Malgus so much or want to side with him.

Which says a lot more about their writers more than anything. "I want my character to not be a complete rear end in a top hat" is something most people would say even if they're playing a purely darkside cackle and lightning everyone type.

It also doesn't help that most of the stories make playing a Light Side Imperial a lot more compelling than being a mustache-twirling idiot. People were going to side with Malgus just because he was inclusive and freeing slaves. He's also super tall and has a cybernetic neckbeard, so he's pretty much a Sith Abraham Lincoln.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

PoptartsNinja posted:

He didn't have a single wooden leg to hop on.

Which says a lot more about their writers more than anything. "I want my character to not be a complete rear end in a top hat" is something most people would say even if they're playing a purely darkside cackle and lightning everyone type.

It also doesn't help that most of the stories make playing a Light Side Imperial a lot more compelling than being a mustache-twirling idiot. People were going to side with Malgus just because he was inclusive and freeing slaves. He's also super tall and has a cybernetic neckbeard, so he's pretty much a Sith Abraham Lincoln.

Hell I played a straight up whacked out on ghot juice "i killed your son because I wanted to see the pattern his blood would make on the walls" kind of Inquisitor and I still wanted to side with Malgus.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah, making the guy who's anti slavery and anti racism the bad guy was a really stupid choice.

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
Especially considering that at least the inquisitor IS a slave and both the Agent and Warrior catch a good deal of racism if you play anything but Human/Cyborg or Sith.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Plus, even if you are pure Dark Side, "Let's tear down the old power structure and start from scratch!" is going to be pretty appealing for anyone with any sense of ambition. Your main enemy in both Sith stories is the old guard, why would you stand by them?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Cythereal posted:

According to one interview with Bioware, here's the rub: they were not expecting Imperial players to like Malgus so much or want to side with him. They were fully expecting Imperial players to trend strongly towards the dark side and not feel a whiff of remorse about killing Malgus. When the player base turned out to really like Malgus and think he had great ideas, they changed tack and brought in Marr to play to that idea of the Empire that a lot of players liked.

That reminds me of how much I roll my eyes when I read SWTOR content on Wookiepedia because it's always presumed any Jedi automatically went Light Side and all Sith went Dark Side with only a little blurb stating anything outside that paradigm. But in all honesty, it doesn't surprise me at all that Bioware really didn't think it out with playerbase choices. After all, we're talking the company who's writers genuinely didn't think there were players who wouldn't visit the brothels in Dragon Age 2 much less choose the fade to black option with the transgender prostitute so they never bothered with writing any dialog covering those options so players thought they hit a bug when their characters who didn't choose the prostitute met them later on who was talking like they had gotten together.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior Shadows of Revan Update 25: You’re not really wearing that, are you?

So. The Yavin system. What’s this place like, anyway?
Yavin is remote, that little moon has more biodiversity then some sectors—and nearly all of that diversity is predatory. It’s a nexus in the Dark Side, it’s been a Sith stronghold for as far back as I can remember. It’s quite remote.
And muggy.
Sounds like a nice vacation spot.
It really isn’t.

Click for Video

Revan is here as well. And another presence, if you wish to believe the Grand Master.
The other presence--it’s unclear. The dark side permeates everything here. Saturates it. I’ve been to Oricon; this is another level entirely.
You might even call it Dark Side 3

The Order of Revan is garrisoned inside an old Massassi temple. That is where the dark side is most prevalent.

I thought you knew.
I didn’t think you’d believe me.

Agreed, we cannot let emotion cloud our judgement. More easily said than done for some, I suppose.

As funny as it is listening to the Grand Master burn her own son--
If you were to assist in shoring up our position, it would serve as an example to the rest.
Walk the perimeter, make a show of defending the Republic’s troops. A trained Akk-dog could do that.
Do not sell yourself short. You are a symbol, both to the Empire and of the Empire. You can do what we cannot.
A symbol, huh?

So many of my people--yours--went and signed up for this Revan stuff. What do you think they see in all that?
I suppose they don’t like what the Republic or Empire have to offer, so they chose option three.
But having their option means tearing down everything we’ve built and killing us to boot--that’s crazy.
How does that differ from what we’ll be getting up to once this temporary truce is over? Here--let me finish patching you up.
What’s the word, corporal? Imperials been up to anything shady?
Sergeant now, actually. Got a field promotion after my sarge was hauled away. He was one of the traitors.
Wow, that’s--Congratulations?
I guess--except now I feel like I can’t trust my own people. And we’re supposed to trust these Imps, too?
Yeah, it’s bad all around. Stay sharp.

You should see the way Theron glares at me.
Not a good time, Lana.

Hey, Jaesa?
Yes, master?
I want to be alone with my thoughts for a bit. Could you go fetch Peaty for me?
That… flying rat you bought on Rishi?
It’s a parrot, Jaesa.
It’s disgusting, master.

I dunno. It’s not that bad.

Go ahead.
There’s a redundant monitoring system in the equipment you’re installing. You could activate the subsystem, setting it to track Republic chatter and movements.
Can we set the backup system to help the main system do its job better instead?
Yes, in theory….
Then let’s do that.

Welcome.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 4, 2016

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Nice hat.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SKY COQ posted:

Nice hat.

Borrowed it from Jolune Bought it at a second-hand store on Rishi. Gotta keep up the illusion of the Wrath being dangerously erratic.

Don't worry, I've already got more fitting outfits selected for the final planet from Shadows of Revan, and for KotFE.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 4, 2016

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

"You're a symbol of the Empire!

...once you take off that ridiculous space pirate off. What. What are you doing."

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Aw man, I love Mort wearing the stupid Space Tricorn while everyone's having big serious discussions about the fate of the galaxy. That cyber eyepatch is still the dumbest thing ever.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

I was saving that hat to be completely out of place on Yavin! :argh:

Oh well. Great minds and all that.
I wouldn't have worried. Everyone could have done a thing and this...
Would still be pretty perfect.

I don't know if someone in Bioware has a thing with Space Pirates. I know in everyones favorite Bioware RPG for the NDS thats token Blue thing party member isn't an Asari or a Twilek, but a Hedgehog... I am of course talking about Sonic Chronicles, they show up. After the plot in that really, really starts to go off the rails you get invaded by a bunch of Knuckles re-colours Space pirates, complete with eye patch and Jolly roger motifs. Your sarcastic party member all but breaks the 4th wall pointing out how it does not make a lick sense, before Sonic of course just tells you to roll with it as its funny.

I liked the small conversation between the troops about why so many people have joined up with Revan. And it is a good question. We as an audience love Revan as of course he's our PC from one game, and hailed as a mastermind technician in the next... but what in game does the every man want to join him for? His raison d'être seems to be to destroy the emperor at any cost... which I guess is understandable as the Emp litterally wants to end existance. But is that what Revans people believe and fight for?

PoptartsNinja posted:

You should see the way Theron glares at me.
I wonder wh....

PoptartsNinja posted:

There’s a redundant monitoring system in the equipment you’re installing. You could activate the subsystem, setting it to track Republic chatter and movements.
Oh right yeah.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Repub side they ask you to do the same thing, so it's TOTALLY okay.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I'm not sure why people seem to think it wouldn't be a smart thing to spy on the Republic. Peace hasn't been achieved and the Empire and the Republic are still at war. Yes Revan needs to be defeated but the combined forces should be more than enough and in the end it will be up to the heroes anyway, in the meantime you can spy and get intel on the Republic for later strikes. It is the same thing with the A gun choice earlier on Rishi. It was clear that Revan's main advantage was his spies among the fleets with them gone his fleet of traitors are outnumbered so using the guns to target the Republic means that Revan is still beaten and you have weakened the Republic who are still your main enemy.

Main problem with these choices is the light side and dark side results. Is it dark side to target the ships of your main enemy just because you have a cease fire with them? Though at the time of that choice the two sides are still fully at war.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

koolkevz666 posted:

Main problem with these choices is the light side and dark side results. Is it dark side to target the ships of your main enemy just because you have a cease fire with them? Though at the time of that choice the two sides are still fully at war.

Yes. It's sacrificing progress/trust in the important goal in order to gain power and that's totally darkside. The factions may still be at war for that AA gun choice, but you're already part of an uneasy alliance with Lana and Theron.

Act to reinforce the alliance -- benevolent, light side
Act to undermine the alliance (whether you want it to break or not) -- selfish, dark side

Just ask "what would Jolune do".

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bruceski posted:

Just ask "what would Jolune do".

Snack?
Be nice!

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

PoptartsNinja posted:

Marr and Malgus are both surprisingly reasonable, pragmatic Sith, so they both work. I just feel that using Malgus--who had a long working relationship with all the player classes thanks to flashpoint missions--would've made more sense than a guy who's worked with the agent or bounty hunter precisely once, on Makeb. Marr's reaction to the Emperor's Wrath telling him his fleet's full of traitors is reasonable. Marr doing the same thing for some Randolorian Bounty Hunter who's working pro-bono and calling from a known pirate nest is... a bit less so.

Story-wise the Bounty Hunter has (storyline spoiler) removed the original Supreme Chancellor from power, and Marr specifically says Tormen mentioned you in the BH Makeb intro and by this time you've supposedly cleared Makeb AND Oricon for Marr. He has plenty of reason to respect and listen to a bounty hunter PC at this point; Marr loves competence and the BH has shown it in spades.

Cythereal posted:

Guessing at least some of the writers thought about it since you did have the option to say something to the effect of "I agree with the general idea but not your methods" in the final Malgus flashpoint. Why the hell they thought the dark side response WOULDN'T be to betray the rest of the Sith for a high place in Malgus's Empire is beyond me though.

koolkevz666 posted:

I'm not sure why people seem to think it wouldn't be a smart thing to spy on the Republic. Peace hasn't been achieved and the Empire and the Republic are still at war. Yes Revan needs to be defeated but the combined forces should be more than enough and in the end it will be up to the heroes anyway, in the meantime you can spy and get intel on the Republic for later strikes. It is the same thing with the A gun choice earlier on Rishi. It was clear that Revan's main advantage was his spies among the fleets with them gone his fleet of traitors are outnumbered so using the guns to target the Republic means that Revan is still beaten and you have weakened the Republic who are still your main enemy.

As the LS choice indicates, you're also sacrificing improved performance towards your main goal (getting sensor data for taking out Revan) in favor of trying to get an edge on the Republic/Empire. Keeping an eye on the enemy is one thing, doing it at the expense of paying attention to the primary goal is another.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I do love how most of the Light Side choices in this game for the Empire boil down to 'Doing things quickly and efficiently instead of cackling like a madman and proclaiming yourself Best Darth as you wear the skins of your slain enemies around your waist'.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MadDogMike posted:

Story-wise the Bounty Hunter has (storyline spoiler) removed the original Supreme Chancellor from power, and Marr specifically says Tormen mentioned you in the BH Makeb intro and by this time you've supposedly cleared Makeb AND Oricon for Marr. He has plenty of reason to respect and listen to a bounty hunter PC at this point; Marr loves competence and the BH has shown it in spades.

This is the thrust of the BH quest on Rishi, incidentally. You're put back into some good old bounty hunting of criminals, and everyone involved is stunned and weirded out that you're coming after them because in the eyes of the galactic underworld, you're an enforcer for the Dark Council now. You the BH have to decide: are you indeed happy being the guy/lady the Dark Council keeps on speed dial for when they need someone who can absolutely get the job done no questions asked? Marr likes you, respects your streak of stubborn independence as long as you keep up the good work, and agrees that you're worth every penny. It's a cushy job, no question, but the quest also gives plenty of room to explore the alternative: that no, the Dark Council is just another employer and you still see yourself as a freelance member of the galactic underworld.

For what it's worth, Mako is happy with the idea of being one of Marr's elite thugs. The Dark Council pays great, keeps the jobs coming and challenging, and dialogue on Makeb and Oricon and later talk about how the Bounty Hunter has become a folk hero to the people of the Empire - forget the Imperial Agent, to the regular people of the Empire you've built yourself a legend as the best a non-Force-sensitive can get. You're smart, you're talented, you're brave, you don't take poo poo from anybody, and you wine and dine with Sith Lords who treat you as an equal if they know what's good for them. Cathar BHs even get a special scene on Makeb with that cathar army captain who says your example has inspired many cathar warriors to follow you into Imperial service.

Edit: While I'm talking about content this LP has missed, on Oricon there's a scene where you talk with the Dread Masters and you have to explain what your greatest fear is. Each class has a different class-specific option, and here are the ones I remember.

Bounty Hunter: Losing your edge to age or injury. You're at the top of your game and king of the world, but sooner or later you're going to slow and some young hotshot is going to think they can take you. And someday, they'll be right.

Imperial Agent: Forgetting your own identity. You wear so many masks at every moment of your life, there's very few people - if anyone at all - you can truly be yourself with. Can you even remember why you got into this line of work in the first place, do you still keep in touch with your family? You probably don't, can't risk it lest they become targets or people figure out who you are.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 5, 2016

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
I look forward to Lam-64 showing off those bounty hunter things when he/she/them get there.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cythereal posted:

Edit: While I'm talking about content this LP has missed, on Oricon there's a scene where you talk with the Dread Masters and you have to explain what your greatest fear is. Each class has a different class-specific option, and here are the ones I remember.

The Warrior's fears are pretty good too, considering.

"Darth Baras sought to use me as his weapon. I overcame him. But there are others, and I wonder if I can defy them all."
"I make sacrifices, I endure misery, but I accomplish what I set out to do. Some day it may not be enough."
"There aren't a lot of people in this galaxy who are close to me. The thought of losing them... yes, it scares me."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Warrior's fears are pretty good too, considering.

"Darth Baras sought to use me as his weapon. I overcame him. But there are others, and I wonder if I can defy them all."
"I make sacrifices, I endure misery, but I accomplish what I set out to do. Some day it may not be enough."
"There aren't a lot of people in this galaxy who are close to me. The thought of losing them... yes, it scares me."

Yeah, every class gets that second and third option but the first is always unique to each class.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Paused posted:

...We as an audience love Revan as of course he's our PC from one game...

Nope, my Revan was a woman :colbert: Everything in this game where Revan shows up I've been reading him as some doofy imposter sullying her name and reputation. I'm looking forward to him getting smashed up real bad.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Traxus IV posted:

Nope, my Revan was a woman :colbert: Everything in this game where Revan shows up I've been reading him as some doofy imposter sullying her name and reputation. I'm looking forward to him getting smashed up real bad.

Same.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Traxus IV posted:

Same here too. It's either some deluded imposter or some elaborate Jedi hoax trying to cash in on the name for whatever reason.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
...that's actually something I hadn't considered, and is kinda a cool blending of real life views and in universe 'lore'. Fair enough; everyones Revan is their Revan and is equally correct as anyone elses. And iirc there was a line back on Dromund Kass that supported that along the lines of 'No one knows Revans gender' that I'm sure Mort rolled his eyes at. (I mean I'm sure there is a book or severnteen, but screw books.)

I still dunno why so many droves of people are willing to follow this chump though.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Traxus IV posted:

The real Revan and Exile are sunning it up in Space Tahiti.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I think by this point in the game if anyone has objection to your preferred mode of dress they can consult the thousands and thousands of lives you've snuffed out to find how much you care.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sith Warrior Shadows of Revan Update 26: Stop Feeding, noobs!

A pirate I was meant to be,
Trim the sails and roam the sea…

We’ve got a much better picture now of what’s between us and the temple.
First thing’s the Massassi. We knew we’d be facing a lot, but now we know it’s a lot-a lot.

That was the first thing.
The best of the Imperial Guard are trained in special facilities--honed to physical perfection and instilled with unwavering loyalty.

And there are life forms inside. Human. Whether it’s Revanites or the Emperor’s guard, they won’t be looking to help us.
I’ll find out who we’re dealing with.
The location is of great strategic value. Make clear to its inhabitants, whomever they are, that the facility is ours now.

Darth Marr and I both sense a growing presence. We’re almost certain it’s due to your activities.

Click for Video

I’m Commandant Iven. We’re the true Imperial Guard. We’re here to serve the Emperor.

We’re food. All life was born t be his food. The glorious honor!
:ughh:

Yes; the support team says their commandant’s a raving madman.
We’ll want to question him. Insane or not, he’ll be of use to us….

Closer.

I keep waiting to hear that this is all some ploy, like we’re here to lull the Republic into a false sense of security.
If only. That would mean we weren’t teaming up out of necessity to take down a threat too big to handle alone.
Wrath’s here. A threat too big for him? That’s a scary thought.
I know I’m not cleared, but I heard rumors. Is it really him behind this? Darth Revan?
I’m going to assume it is. In my experience, it’s best to assume the worst.

He will be fed! He will! Be! fed!
Silence.

Please tell me that trooper doesn’t have a stand.
He’s raving mad, but he still has information we need to breach the temple and prevent the Emperor’s return.
I would like to interview him personally. Someone in his state must be handled delicately.
Time is of the essence. A more hands-on approach is required.
You can’t torture the crazy away, Marr.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 13, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

You're hat choice is the best, it makes the so done with everything expression that Mort appears to have as default look especially fed up with the galaxies stupidity.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Lord_Magmar posted:

Your hat choice is the best, it makes the so done with everything expression that Mort appears to have as default look especially fed up with the galaxies stupidity.

The picture of him just blankly standing there after the guy said he would sacrifice him for the Emperor was the perfect reaction shot in that regard :).

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Oh, Emperor, or some say Emprah, grant us eyes, grant us eyes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lord_Magmar posted:

You're hat choice is the best, it makes the so done with everything expression that Mort appears to have as default look especially fed up with the galaxies stupidity.

Bounty hunters gets some great dialogue and expressions throughout Shadow of Revan. The arc, in my opinion, is really obviously intended for a Force class (more so than Dread War, and it's only going to get worse), and the bounty hunter's eyes threaten to roll right out of their sockets when dealing with this crap. Grey DeLisle is particularly good at the "Yeah yeah skip to the part where I shoot you" attitude.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I just found it amusing that Iven and Mort had the same scar. I could totally see this branch of the batshit-crazy Imperial Guard scarring themselves up to look a little more like the Emperor's favorite legbreaker.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Another nice thing about Marr, he doesn't throw a big huge stupid bitchfit and hold grudges when his peers don't follow his way of doing things 100%

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

paragon1 posted:

Another nice thing about Marr, he doesn't throw a big huge stupid bitchfit and hold grudges when his peers don't follow his way of doing things 100%

He's the first one to leave when he doesn't get his way. He just went off to sulk for having his authority undermined, but it's ok, the tears just make him stronger.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

He's the first one to leave when he doesn't get his way. He just went off to sulk for having his authority undermined, but it's ok, the tears just make him stronger.

Also he docks the bounty hunter's pay if you side with Satele. Every other Imperial class, he bows to your greater experience with interrogation and madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Exactly what kind of intervention could either of those guys do with a shouty madman? I'm pretty sure somebody who only sees kibble isn't going to be motivated much by pain.

• Locked thread