Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Andre Brevik of GameXplain got his switch and a copy of Zelda, which means most reviewers probably have them now.

Apparently they can post preview impressions and videos on Feb 24 and their reviews on Mar 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I'm now torn between getting a refurbished Wii U or getting a Switch so I can play this game. I'm just worried the Wii U version will still have issues with performance (framerate) and I really don't want to spend $300+ on a Switch.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Even with review copies in the wild, do we still not know what the hell the new BOTW amiibo do?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

spasticColon posted:

I'm now torn between getting a refurbished Wii U or getting a Switch so I can play this game. I'm just worried the Wii U version will still have issues with performance (framerate) and I really don't want to spend $300+ on a Switch.

People have compared screenshots between the demos from last year and the demos from this year, and the Wii U demos from last year had worse textures/color depth, but it's difficult to tell if that's just due to it being an earlier build, as well.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

spasticColon posted:

Do you also have any interest in getting any future Switch games? If you're going to get Mario Odyssey in a year, you might as well get the Switch now and save yourself the price of the WiiU.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

spasticColon posted:

Breath of the Wild is the last game for WiiU. Whatever is on the WiiU is all you will ever get. Apparently the good games on WiiU are Splatoon and Mario Kart. Both of those games are getting released on Switch this year and most of the playerbase will probably follow. So you have to decide if you are willing to save money on a dead system, or spend a bit more and get an actually good system.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

spasticColon posted:

Buy it for the Wii U, you'll be thankful when the switch loses all 3rd party support around this time next year.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Today in the news: Breath of the Wild will be the first Zelda game to have a complete Dutch translation since "De Toverstaf van Gamelon".

I wonder what other less-used languages they'll translate it into.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Hedrigall posted:

Andre Brevik of GameXplain got his switch and a copy of Zelda, which means most reviewers probably have them now.

Apparently they can post preview impressions and videos on Feb 24 and their reviews on Mar 2.

I'm the person who's glad there's no Wii U review copies of the game because the entire game would no doubt have been leaked to the public by now, if not even earlier in the month.

Could you imagine how much longer this month would have taken if everything was already out there?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Today in the news: Breath of the Wild will be the first Zelda game to have a complete Dutch translation since "De Toverstaf van Gamelon".

I wonder what other less-used languages they'll translate it into.

they're translating it into latino spanish, which is very cool. The voice acting for that version sounded excellent.

speaking of which, does the wii u version come with all of the languages, or is it region-specific? the latter would be kind of a shame tbh

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Cojawfee posted:

Breath of the Wild is the last game for WiiU. Whatever is on the WiiU is all you will ever get. Apparently the good games on WiiU are Splatoon and Mario Kart. Both of those games are getting released on Switch this year and most of the playerbase will probably follow. So you have to decide if you are willing to save money on a dead system, or spend a bit more and get an actually good system.

There's also

NSMB U & Luigi U
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Maker
Wind Waker & Twilight Princess HD
NES Remix 1 & 2
Dr. Luigi
Smash 4
Bayonetta 1 & 2
Wonderful 101
Captain Toad

All of which are exclusive and better than anything on any other console. Wii U is dead and only has a dozen games but they're fantastic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Milkman posted:

There's also

NSMB U & Luigi U
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Maker
Wind Waker & Twilight Princess HD
NES Remix 1 & 2
Dr. Luigi
Smash 4
Bayonetta 1 & 2
Wonderful 101
Captain Toad

All of which are exclusive and better than anything on any other console. Wii U is dead and only has a dozen games but they're fantastic.

You forgot Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Xenoblade Chronicles X!

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Also Pikmin 3, Nintendoland, and the Wario Ware game (which is mostly bad but has a few amazing minigames that more than justify the five dollar used pricetag)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Super Mario 3D World was so goddamn good.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ImpAtom posted:

You forgot Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Xenoblade Chronicles X!

I posit that he didn't

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I basically did the same thing with Majora's Mask, but that was at my lovely rich friend's house. i'd go over for big sleepovers and his parents would buy us whatever we wanted, so i'd get my friend all sugared up and then he'd pass out real early and i'd stay up all night playing his nintendo, trading his duped D2 items over to my dudes, and stealing his pokemon cards (he had like 10 foil charizards, he wasn't gonna miss 1 or 2!).

Plot twist you're the lovely friend..

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
New trailer/ad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpwQtMDDUfM
Goddamn I'm sick and tired of watching that stupid man bird laugh why is he laughing IS HE LAUGHING AT ME

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Calaveron posted:

New trailer/ad
Goddamn I'm sick and tired of watching that stupid man bird laugh why is he laughing IS HE LAUGHING AT ME

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Not yet I haven't technically

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Calaveron posted:

New trailer/ad

I noticed two significant new bits of footage:

Diving from a huge height somewhere near the coast, and a motherfucking dragon!

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheKingofSprings posted:

Any word on the music in this game?

music is confirmed

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Doggir posted:

Plot twist you're the lovely friend..

Reinanigans posted:

What the gently caress

dublish posted:

If that's a lovely friend, what did your good friends let you do to them?

LOL Y'know I hadn't thought about that for like 15 years, and you're right, that sucks.

Back to BotW, does anyone else get kinda Samurai Jack vibes from the Art Style and the seemingly omni-present fog filter seen in almost every screen?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Have we even seen any more footage of BOTW on the Wii U since that footage with the really bad framerate?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

When u see it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Calaveron posted:

When u see it

Is it the flowers?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

Is it the flowers?

It is the flowers

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
God I hope they programmed it so that the master sword in its sheath doesn't
Doesn't uh
Oh my god I forgot the name of the specific type of graphical glitch that happens when one polygonal entity goes through another without affecting it and it looks all bad and wrong
Well I hope they programmed it so that the master sword in its sheath doesn't do that glitch with Link's hat like it's done with all modern Zeldas starting with Wind Waker I think

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Calaveron posted:

God I hope they programmed it so that the master sword in its sheath doesn't
Doesn't uh
Oh my god I forgot the name of the specific type of graphical glitch that happens when one polygonal entity goes through another without affecting it and it looks all bad and wrong
Well I hope they programmed it so that the master sword in its sheath doesn't do that glitch with Link's hat like it's done with all modern Zeldas starting with Wind Waker I think

clip

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Yes, thank you
Also remember how the Master Sword would clip through the ground in WW because Link was so short
Surely they could've come up with a solution so that the most important item in the game wouldn't look so goofy most of the time

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

When we first saw that image of the Master Sword I geeked out because it roused up my nostalgia for the original art from LTTP and now my nostalgia is riled up again because we're going to be playing a new loving Zelda title in less than two weeks.

Even though I don't think the game will be the best in my eyes, it's Zelda and it's new and the inner child in me will always be excited for Zelda.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Calaveron posted:

Yes, thank you
Also remember how the Master Sword would clip through the ground in WW because Link was so short
Surely they could've come up with a solution so that the most important item in the game wouldn't look so goofy most of the time

This basically involves well done inverse kinematics and if not done right can look even worse than clipping.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

s.i.r.e. posted:

This basically involves well done inverse kinematics and if not done right can look even worse than clipping.

Just make the master sword shorter or have him hold it at a slightly different angle

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I think now that Link doesn't have goof proportions it shouldn't happen unless you've facing a wall or something.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Calaveron posted:

They really want to win the Dark Souls crowd over. Everyone laughs now.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Calaveron posted:

When u see it

And once GameExplain sees it they'll make an hour long analysis video. :spergin:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

spasticColon posted:

And once GameExplain sees it they'll make an hour long analysis video. :spergin:

Why the gently caress does that dude sound like he has marbles in his mouth?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

s.i.r.e. posted:

Don't insult the proud marblemouths, they have a beautiful culture enriched with history

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

s.i.r.e. posted:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Calaveron posted:

Just make the master sword shorter or have him hold it at a slightly different angle

The ultimate weapon :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Count Uvula posted:

The ultimate weapon :v:

ah, toon link's sword in Smash