Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Well I'm glad to hear that they might knock it off within 1-3 days. I'm gonna keep Tet separated out until then, since he's very much the beta rooster in the pecking order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
A friend from Taiwan sent pictures of his chickens. Fun to see chickens around the world.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

unprofessional posted:

A friend from Taiwan sent pictures of his chickens. Fun to see chickens around the world.

Taiwan has punk rock chickens.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

unprofessional posted:

Angry (wet) birds.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

So the uk based Happy Egg company has created a calendar of cockerels for their free range hens.

quote:

The calendar was produced after research found that hens were calmer in the company of cockerels so the pics in the Nice Pecks calendar are being distributed to enhance their moods.

Marketing director Steve Horton said: "Nice Pecks was born out of wanting to do something more for our girls to enhance their surroundings and give them added visual stimulus.

"Since we can't introduce real-life cockerels on to our farms, because the eggs we buy in the supermarket are not fertilised, the calendar felt like the next best thing."

There is even a little video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tloxthQu7vQ

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

AHAHAHA. Typical chickens, getting into EVERYTHING and knocking things over.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

COCK BLOCKED

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Geokinesis posted:

So the uk based Happy Egg company has created a calendar of cockerels for their free range hens.

There is even a little video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tloxthQu7vQ

That was hilarious! Thank you for sharing that link!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Tet is still being a jerk. I let him out a little today to see if he'd act normal, and he was aggressive not only towards Dumpling, but also towards the hens as well, one of whom he did a quickie rape job on. Gonna keep him separated for a few more days to see if he improves at all.

I'm still really baffled as to the change of behavior. Before this, him and Dumpling got along fine.

Maybe it has to do with having gotten the four new 8 month old hens. Like so many ancient stories, they were best bros, but then a woman came between them.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The Rat posted:

Tet is still being a jerk. I let him out a little today to see if he'd act normal, and he was aggressive not only towards Dumpling, but also towards the hens as well, one of whom he did a quickie rape job on. Gonna keep him separated for a few more days to see if he improves at all.

I'm still really baffled as to the change of behavior. Before this, him and Dumpling got along fine.

Maybe it has to do with having gotten the four new 8 month old hens. Like so many ancient stories, they were best bros, but then a woman came between them.

How old are the rooboys now? Mine get really shitheaded from age 8 months to around 1 1/2 years old, then their hormones level out.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

That's their general age; I got them in late May or so at 8 weeks old, so yeah, that'd put them around 8 months now. If they keep this hostility up, what solutions are there that don't involve finding a new home for one of them? If I let them out to duke it out, will one eventually establish dominance and have the loser bow out, or will one eventually kill the other?

The Rat fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 29, 2013

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The Rat posted:

That's their general age; I got them in late May or so at 8 weeks old, so yeah, that'd put them around 8 months now. If they keep this hostility up, what solutions are there that don't involve finding a new home for one of them? If I let them out to duke it out, will one eventually establish dominance and have the loser bow out, or will one eventually kill the other?

I doubt that they will kill each other, but if you want to keep both, it's best to keep everyone together and let them duke it out. If you keep taking one away and returning him later, he's just fresh meat every time and the fighting will start all over again. Best to get it out of the way all at once. One will eventually emerge as Head Roo. After that they may squabble once in a while, but usually it isn't serious. While they ARE working it out, keep an eye on them and be ready to grab one if they really bloody each other up or it gets too violent. And watch Tet for signs of a head injury--Silkies have a hole in their skull through which their brain protrudes, so thumps to the top of their heads can cause brain swelling and resultant difficulty with balance/walking. If that happens let me know, I have a treatment that's worked for me in the past.

Dumpling is a bantam Cochin and Tet is a Silkie if I remember correctly...? My money is actually on Tet although both are known as sweet breeds. Every Silkie roo I've ever known has had no idea he was a cute lil' bantam and was all fearless attitude.

VVVV Hee hee hee hee hee

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 29, 2013

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Velvet Sparrow posted:

And watch Tet for signs of a head injury--Silkies have a hole in their skull through which their brain protrudes, so thumps to the top of their heads can cause brain swelling and resultant difficulty with balance/walking. If that happens let me know, I have a treatment that's worked for me in the past.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Watching fat bantam Cochins fight is usually more hilarious than worrying. They circle each other and tilt to one side giving each other evil eyes then kind of bounce off each other bumping bellys before getting bored and wandering off.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

731 days ago today we took in four ex-battery hens

Yup, it's their two year anniversary today.

Sadly we lost Boo in May, but the other three are all in fine health, a lot of which is no doubt due to the suprelorin implant (shuts their egg laying system off before it fails and causes complications) as well as all the good food and attention they DEMAND off us.

Bonus Pip chicken hat:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Awwww. They look so lovely, plump, sassy, and happy now! I remember how horrible they looked when you first adopted them, too. Such an amazing transformation! It's so great that you were able to take them in! :bravo:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Tim Jong-un posted:

Watching fat bantam Cochins fight is usually more hilarious than worrying. They circle each other and tilt to one side giving each other evil eyes then kind of bounce off each other bumping bellys before getting bored and wandering off.

Alright, where will I be able to view this!

Spookygonk, PIP does not look like the same chicken! That is just wonderful!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I doubt that they will kill each other, but if you want to keep both, it's best to keep everyone together and let them duke it out. If you keep taking one away and returning him later, he's just fresh meat every time and the fighting will start all over again. Best to get it out of the way all at once. One will eventually emerge as Head Roo. After that they may squabble once in a while, but usually it isn't serious. While they ARE working it out, keep an eye on them and be ready to grab one if they really bloody each other up or it gets too violent. And watch Tet for signs of a head injury--Silkies have a hole in their skull through which their brain protrudes, so thumps to the top of their heads can cause brain swelling and resultant difficulty with balance/walking. If that happens let me know, I have a treatment that's worked for me in the past.

Dumpling is a bantam Cochin and Tet is a Silkie if I remember correctly...? My money is actually on Tet although both are known as sweet breeds. Every Silkie roo I've ever known has had no idea he was a cute lil' bantam and was all fearless attitude.

VVVV Hee hee hee hee hee

You got it right, bantam Cochin and a Silkie. Although Dumpling has surprised me in the past. A family friend unexpectedly brought over a huge white Leghorn rooster out of lack of anywhere else to take him, so we were stuck with him for a few weeks. In the initial confrontation, Dumpling was throwing flying kung fu chicken kicks everywhere and sent Whitey running in fear for his life. I was so proud of him. Thankfully the family friend found another home for Whitey.

Those ex-battery hens look so happy now. :3:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

spookygonk posted:

731 days ago today we took in four ex-battery hens

Yup, it's their two year anniversary today.

Sadly we lost Boo in May, but the other three are all in fine health, a lot of which is no doubt due to the suprelorin implant (shuts their egg laying system off before it fails and causes complications) as well as all the good food and attention they DEMAND off us.

Bonus Pip chicken hat:

Soooooooo fat and content. They love you, it's obvious.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Welp, I let Tet out. He didn't seem as hostile, but he did have a scuffle with Dumpling. The real surprising part was that in the middle of one of their face offs, Thundercracker (a production red that came from a large flock who is constantly aggressively hungry) jumped right in between them and jump kicked Tet in the face. He promptly ran off. Then whenever he'd get near the food they were pecking at, she'd make a pecking motion towards him and he'd flinch away like a beaten redheaded stepchild.

Tet and Dumpling had a few more slight scuffles over the past half hour, but it's definitely not as aggressive as it was a few days ago. As it is now, they're content to just stay away from each other. Tet is generally the one cutting and running out of their confrontations first.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

The Rat posted:

Welp, I let Tet out. He didn't seem as hostile, but he did have a scuffle with Dumpling. The real surprising part was that in the middle of one of their face offs, Thundercracker (a production red that came from a large flock who is constantly aggressively hungry) jumped right in between them and jump kicked Tet in the face. He promptly ran off. Then whenever he'd get near the food they were pecking at, she'd make a pecking motion towards him and he'd flinch away like a beaten redheaded stepchild.

Tet and Dumpling had a few more slight scuffles over the past half hour, but it's definitely not as aggressive as it was a few days ago. As it is now, they're content to just stay away from each other. Tet is generally the one cutting and running out of their confrontations first.

awwww poor Tet! Such chicken drama. I hope it works out. I suppose it will take a few days or so?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Great pictures of the girls, spookygonk! I noticed in your pictures the day you got them they are on a scale, how much weight have they gained?

In Tet's mind (and everyone else's), he is now the interloper. If you were to take Dumpling away in a similar manner, their thinking would switch. Chickens are weird.

It's hilarious how hens will suddenly stomp in among roofights when they've had enough and break that poo poo up. :keke: My ex-bat white Leghorn hen, Sora, went after Bloop the banty roo the other day hammer and tongs after he flogged me. She fought with him for at least a minute and sat on him three times when they jumped at each other. Once she jumped OVER him and had to look around to find him again since he was now behind her. Nothing serious, mostly it was posturing, growling and lots of flared neck hackles. But Sora put the beat down on him!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 29, 2013

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Happy New Year! Some ouija-birds picked everyone's new year fortune via color coded fruity pebbles tonight.
Health, wealth, happiness and love to all of you in the coming year.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I think Tabasco's crowmaker is broken, once in a while it goes weird :ohdear:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
This is my rooster, Briar.

I blame you guys for this. So does he.

My husband just started doing this while he was holding the poor, poor rooster.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Chido posted:

I think Tabasco's crowmaker is broken, once in a while it goes weird :ohdear:

Chido: I wouldn't worry about it too much - Briar does an "aaROOOO! ... honk" crow right now. If I can get audio, I will provide it as proof that chickenz is crazy.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Went to the PA Farm Show - have some pix.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Lynza posted:

This is my rooster, Briar.

I blame you guys for this. So does he.

My husband just started doing this while he was holding the poor, poor rooster.

What a cutie pie Rooster. What breed is he? Beautiful wattles by the way! Thank you for the video clip!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Bobbie - He's a cream legbar. I got him from a lady locally who had 5 roosters and he was the last one to go. I love him, he's got a lot of personality. He's just starting to crow occasionally, although I haven't heard him do it since Wednesday or so.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Someone on Reddit posted this pic, hoping to figure out if this chick is a roo or a hen? It looks to be a Frizzle Barred Rock. Lovely feathers! :3:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Poor Briar, he looks so resigned...*sigh* 'OK, I'll humor the humans just this once....'

Inveigle posted:

Someone on Reddit posted this pic, hoping to figure out if this chick is a roo or a hen? It looks to be a Frizzle Barred Rock. Lovely feathers! :3:

Hen! And a very pretty one, too. :) Even Frizzle roos will have the tell-tale shiny, pointed cape & tail hackle feathers.

Like this, this is Frizz our Frizzle roo from years ago, from whence all our Frizzle chickens sprang:

In other news, this morning I heard a new voice out in the coop...Cam has begun crowing. He's doing pretty well, still a bit thin and reedy but at least he knows when to stop, unlike Fred and his 'Cock-a-doodle-do-do-do' routine.

Cam was standing up on the feeder and crowing, it took Weeds a minute to realize HEY WAIT A MINUTE, THAT'S NEW and come charging out of the coop. He stood below Cam glaring up at him for a bit. Cam just painted a big Weedcatting marker on himself, he's fair game now!

Speaking of Cam, the kid brought him in for a visit a little while ago. He is showing very obvious markings from his ancestors--great grandpa Jack's short beak, grandpa Phoenix's tortoiseshell eyes and calm attitude, grandma Giblet's comb, mama Bug's adventerous side and daddy Weedcat's stripey beak and fluffy fanny. He's like an Americaunas head & body with the Giant Cochin legs & butt stuck on, a chicken formed by committee. :keke:

EDIT: Wait, wait, WAIT--I see INTACT, non-nibbled tomato plants and little flowers at that hen's feet--she isn't real, is she?!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 5, 2014

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Our town's annual show is coming up in the next couple of months, and I am excited to see the chicken section again :3: With my two not being pure-bred pedigree fancy chickens, they won't get to enter for any prizes, but I'll probably be entering their eggs in the pavilion section. And I can always check out everyone else's chickens (as well as the pigeons, ducks, etc). As usual there is a whole big section devoted entirely to Old English Game Bantams, as they are very popular here, mostly due to the work of our next door neighbour and the many descendants of their flock.

Currently the chooks are enjoying the company of extended family, including cousins and nieces and nephews, who are learning valuable lessons on how to collect eggs without dropping them on cement on the way back to the house or disturbing chooks sitting on the nest, how to hold a chicken so it doesn't scratch you, and what colours and patterns on dresses and shoes chooks think make for especially tasty eating. The younger girls are also enjoying feeding and grooming the pony, a lazy retired working pony who likes taking everyone for rides, except for the uncle who fell off him within the first five seconds of mounting up. So far everyone has been very well-behaved! Even the dog who is a bit nervous around little kids is going very well, as they are all being nice and gentle to him and not chasing him with water guns or pulling at his fur.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

EDIT: Wait, wait, WAIT--I see INTACT, non-nibbled tomato plants and little flowers at that hen's feet--she isn't real, is she?!
There's no dirt/mud on those claws either.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Who else is bringing their chickens inside tonight?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Alterian posted:

If you do, please take and post some photos of the chickens relaxing inside. ;)

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We only have one which is one of the reasons I brought her inside. Her flockmates died over the past year.

There's a fat hen in my shower.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Alterian posted:

AHAHA welcome to chicken poop Hell. Cover everything with dropcloths now, and remove anything breakable that you love. Little suckers jump up on everything.

And yes, pictures please!

The kid reports that Cam followed up yesterday's crowfest with his first mating of a hen today--Beauty, one of the older hens. I can't imagine the henrage.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Thankfully we have a half bath (its the wrong half. Its a sink and a shower) that we don't use and keep our litter boxes in. She's going to get kicked out in the morning since it won't be too bad during the day.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

ALTERIAN - she is a gorgeous Fat Hen! Does she 'talk' much?

VS, Weedcat is going to be exhausted, trying to protect all his ladies! I laugh to myself when I remember seeing Weedcat chasing down the RooBoys this past Saturday and scolding them! Bloop is probably relieved he is not the main focus any longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Alterian posted:

We only have one which is one of the reasons I brought her inside. Her flockmates died over the past year.

There's a fat hen in my shower.

Awwww. What a plump cutie! Barred Rocks are so soft-looking too. Is she enjoying her visit? :)