Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

599 is spicy, I didn’t realize it was that high, but isn’t the data only 10/mo if you already have Verizon?

+ taxes and fees.

So probably closer to $15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh I signed in just to check and they’re calling it a “tablet data plan” which apparently has a data cap and costs more to boot.

Also 599 on top for the hardware is into yikes territory, I’ll stick to waiting for my imaginary Steam Deck Mini.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah and! They are trying to claim you can game stream on this thing. While technically true you’ll eat through your data cap pretty fast like that.

Game streaming on cellular is definitely a ways off

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

At $600 + line you could get a steamdeck and use your existing phone as a hotspot.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeahhh I appreciate what they're going for and I hope it's successful enough to provoke more advancement but I'm gonna pass.

The idea of practical, unobstructed 5G gaming does sound like next-level poo poo. It's gonna be dope when it gets here.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I am on the opposite, I think they should add the phone bits in the 5G version and make it a full phone, sell it as a $700 phone.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Razer posted:

Thank you for ordering a unit of the Razer Edge, we are so excited to finally get units in your hands so you can enjoy the ultimate Android gaming handheld. 

I'm already waiting around with my unit in my hands, wtf guys

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hold on to your butts, Razer does it again!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rolo posted:

Yeahhh I appreciate what they're going for and I hope it's successful enough to provoke more advancement but I'm gonna pass.

The idea of practical, unobstructed 5G gaming does sound like next-level poo poo. It's gonna be dope when it gets here.

I don't think it's going to promote more advancement because the whole point of these mainstream Android gaming phones seems to entirely be trying to will more Android games into existance, which isn't happening. Yeah you can have all the power in the world but Genshin doesn't even have controller support on Android, that's how little companies seem to care about gaming on Android. And for emulation there's already more than enough power in most phones now to run PS2/GC stuff, everything else is software limited, and for game streaming you need roughly none of this power.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Isn't this still basically a phone and you attach a controller to it? Probably could have just bought a used Samsung or something.

Edit: seeing people in the discord saying it's not even a g3x in it, it's an sd888 y'all got loving ripped if that's true

Photex fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 28, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Photex posted:

Isn't this still basically a phone and you attach a controller to it? Probably could have just bought a used Samsung or something.

That is literally what it is, it's not even a special controller it's just a Razer Kishi. The whole purpose of it is as a launch device for the newest Snapdragon SOC.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

njsykora posted:

I don't think it's going to promote more advancement because the whole point of these mainstream Android gaming phones seems to entirely be trying to will more Android games into existance, which isn't happening. Yeah you can have all the power in the world but Genshin doesn't even have controller support on Android, that's how little companies seem to care about gaming on Android. And for emulation there's already more than enough power in most phones now to run PS2/GC stuff, everything else is software limited, and for game streaming you need roughly none of this power.

This does kinda make me wonder where the market's gonna go after enough people find their goldilocks handheld that emulates PS2/GCN/DC well enough with good buttons, screens and form factors. For stuff like the Steamdeck the path forward is Windows/Linux games, but I'm not sure many people are going to invest in these devices for Android gaming. Makes me wonder if we'll see more Steamdeck imitators later, using Linux/Proton setups.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/Renshos/status/1619124452633219072

also another source that the g3x is just the SD888

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Nickoten posted:

This does kinda make me wonder where the market's gonna go after enough people find their goldilocks handheld that emulates PS2/GCN/DC well enough with good buttons, screens and form factors. For stuff like the Steamdeck the path forward is Windows/Linux games, but I'm not sure many people are going to invest in these devices for Android gaming. Makes me wonder if we'll see more Steamdeck imitators later, using Linux/Proton setups.

I mean that does seem to be where things are going, there doesn't seem to be much of a point to a lot of devices coming out right now. If you want the top tier GC/PS2 device you already have the Odin, which is also the best value streaming handheld, and more than powerful enough for the few Android games worth a drat, but limited by availability. Which also applies to the Retroid Pocket 3+. If you just want a device for the 2D systems you have all kinds of older options like the 351MP which are still perfectly fine if you want something bigger than the Miyoo Mini. Then if you want a handheld PC the Steam Deck is still the only real option worth a drat for the price. I expect there'll be better handheld PCs in the future but that's going to take time to get new APUs from AMD with the new architectures, and even then there'll be drawbacks using off the shelf APUs compared to the custom ones Valve will be able to get.

I don't expect anyone in the retro handhelds world to put any kind of pressure on Razer over the Edge incidentally, everyone on Youtube who reviews these things (with the exception of Bob Wulff who is never mentioned as part of the community) seems allergic to ever saying a device is bad. The Phawx is already on Twitter saying actually the Edge is fine so long as you put it in performance mode based off of one Reddit post, no idea what he's following up on because he hasn't threaded it and I can't find any other mention of the Edge in the last 2 weeks on his timeline. Also holy poo poo those completely unnecessary rounded bezels are loving ridiculous, this thing really seems to be getting exposed now it's being sent out to people.
https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1619087851722883078

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Holy poo poo those bezels are cursed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I printed the RG353V shoulder buttons today. They turned out really nice at 0.12 layer height, though they won’t win any beauty awards compared to a resin print.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5655329

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

Holy poo poo those bezels are cursed.

lol I don’t even know if I’m going to unbox this thing. I might just ship it right back

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Nickoten posted:

This is primarily a small niche market where collectors tinker, configure, modify, play it a little bit, and then put it away and buy the next one and start all over again. So there's really not going to be a goldilocks handheld.

But you're right in that the mobile market is slowing down, it's becoming harder and harder to wring more power out of the same power and space envelope, and diminishing returns are kicking in hard. And since these devices ultimately depend on the leftovers of mobile market development, their power gains will slow down to a trickle as well.

Photex posted:

https://twitter.com/Renshos/status/1619124452633219072

also another source that the g3x is just the SD888
lmao a Snapdragon 888, you can get a Samsung Galaxy S21 FE refurb for under $300 and a Razer Kishi v2 for $100, but I guess that's exactly what this Razer thing is after all?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 28, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Another quality Razer product

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Razer? I hardly know ‘er

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

F.D. Signifier posted:

This is primarily a small niche market where collectors tinker, configure, modify, play it a little bit, and then put it away and buy the next one and start all over again. So there's really not going to be a goldilocks handheld.

But you're right in that the mobile market is slowing down, it's becoming harder and harder to wring more power out of the same power and space envelope, and diminishing returns are kicking in hard. And since these devices ultimately depend on the leftovers of mobile market development, their power gains will slow down to a trickle as well.

lmao a Snapdragon 888, you can get a Samsung Galaxy S21 FE refurb for under $300 and a Razer Kishi v2 for $100, but I guess that's exactly what this Razer thing is after all?

Well TBF this thing is supposed to have active cooling but lol at the whole thing

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think its probably make better sense to get a 888 or 865 gamer phone like Red Magic, Black Shark and Asus, they all have giant 7" screens. Frankly maybe we just need controller accessories from phone companies that make the controller look seamless with their flagship phones.

I actually like this future, it makes retro gaming more mainstream and make the mobile market more and more like the PC market. Basically there is no upper limit on the cost of your mobile gaming rig and they all look different. 3 years from now, probably all retro console from $50 to $1000 are android devices.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think its probably make better sense to get a 888 or 865 gamer phone like Red Magic, Black Shark and Asus, they all have giant 7" screens. Frankly maybe we just need controller accessories from phone companies that make the controller look seamless with their flagship phones.

I actually like this future, it makes retro gaming more mainstream and make the mobile market more and more like the PC market. Basically there is no upper limit on the cost of your mobile gaming rig and they all look different. 3 years from now, probably all retro console from $50 to $1000 are android devices.

Honestly it makes most sense to just get an Odin at this point if you want a powerful Android device with built in controls. Ayn seem to have largely unfucked their backlog for the base Odin and one of those is going to run basically anything that Android can emulate for $240. If the Lite gets out of production hell and becomes normally purchasable that'd also be an excellent option.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Quick and dirty impressions from about 10 min of use.

I’m not sure why it’s called the Razer edge when the screen doesn’t go to the edge.

The rounded bezels are a weird choice and it really stands out imo

No idea why they included a front facing camera.

The fan was going non stop and you could hear it if you held it up to your ear.

The speakers seem kinda anemic.

The tablet doesn’t have a premium feel to it. It honestly felt like a Fire tablet if I’m being honest.

Tried out Diablo immortal and the game won’t let me try the ultra settings as it’s not supported on this chip. It seems to run at high 60 fps though.

I need to see if Fortnite has a 120 fps mode (I think it does)

The screen seems ok? I need to try and watch something really colorful because I’m not blown away by the screen. For reference I just switched my gaming pc monitor to an LG c2 and I’ve been absolutely blown away by that.

The kishi is nice I guess. The tablet doesn’t lock in so it can be off center when you first put it in. I’m tired of these joycon sticks. The thing is big enough they could have included full size sticks.

It’s ok but the so far the Odin is a better device.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MarcusSA posted:

I’m not sure why it’s called the Razer edge when the screen doesn’t go to the edge.

Your world is rusted like a, dirty razor
the edge is callin' tonight

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

njsykora posted:

Honestly it makes most sense to just get an Odin at this point if you want a powerful Android device with built in controls. Ayn seem to have largely unfucked their backlog for the base Odin and one of those is going to run basically anything that Android can emulate for $240. If the Lite gets out of production hell and becomes normally purchasable that'd also be an excellent option.

I love my Odin, but there's plenty of room for improvement on the PS2/GC/Wii side of things with a faster processor. Those systems are right at the edge of what it can handle, and it still can't do the more demanding games on those systems (regardless of tweaks) while an 888 can chew through them.

With all of that said, loving lol at Razer's latest thing. In a market dominated by small Chinese companies building devices with off-the-shelf parts from old phones and relying on a niche community to get the software in working order, Razer still finds a way to be uniquely bad.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I got the bright idea of, "I know, I'll put Rhythm Tengoku on the 280v to test input latency." I don't know what sort of black loving magic is at play here, if it's to be credited more to the unit itself, something in Retroarch, or the choice/optimization of cores, but I know that every other time I've taken a swing at playing this I've had to deal with somewhere around 100ms of input lag, which is catastrophic to a game as sensitive to timing as the Rhythm Heaven series. You pretty much have to play these on genuine hardware for them to work as intended, which is why I actually went out of my way to order an import cart back in the day when this went un-localized.

And yet here I am for the first time able to play this emulated with seemingly zero input latency. Went ahead and slapped the fan-translation patch on it. Here we are, 17 years later, and I'm finally able to play this in English with proper goddamn input response.

Oh god it's been 17 loving years

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The fan on this tablet is nearly as loud as my steam deck. That is pretty impressive.

This is while downloading an app and not gaming.

The rounded bezels are still puzzling.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The round corners and camera hole are there because they just source whatever phone spare part they can put their hands on, just like the China consoles.

Every time I see the name Razor, I think of that toy scooter company.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So the speakers are anemic and even at 50% volume you can hear the cpu fan over the system volume.

Fortnite doesn’t have a 120fps mode on this device (probably an android thing) it does have a 90fps mode but the game has issues staying at a locked 60 for whatever reason.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Android games from what I understand are super RAM hungry, so the 2gb they quietly removed is probably hurting a lot.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is the bottom right corner really that kind of weird angle? That’s not even a corner radius. I don’t know what that is.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Game streaming is lol too.

Vs

Because of the weird aspect ratio you give up a lot of screen.

Also I put the device to sleep but the fan has stayed on probably because it’s being charged? Seems weird that the fan would be on while the device is sleeping.

The oled screen is “nice” but I wouldn’t say it blows away my iPhone 13 screen.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is the bottom right corner really that kind of weird angle? That’s not even a corner radius. I don’t know what that is.

I am gonna take my dog to the park but I’ll check that when I get back. It seems pretty rounded on my device but the rounded edges are baffling as gently caress.

It kinda has the old tube TV look but it’s weird.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

This seems like a bust, what a dumb aspect ratio for a handheld gaming device

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Absolutely lol at this.

I’m gonna give Genshin a try. See how well this screen mapping works.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I've seen people saying "why would anyone want the Odin now that Razer and Pimax have more powerful stuff coming out" and my reaction has always been you're relying on promises from Razer and Pimax?

The specs are nice on paper but goddamn if those guys don't always find a way to fumble the ball. AYN's shipping was a loving disaster for a long time but the actual product does what it says.

Also, hearing that the Kishi has the exact same battery drain on the Edge as it does on any other Android phone, so definitely don't leave it attached overnight.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wait what’s the aspect? It’s not 16:9?

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Rolo posted:

Wait what’s the aspect? It’s not 16:9?

It's 20:9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That’s not even ultra wide what the gently caress lmao.

Bad product, looks like it’s up to the Pimax to take us all to retro heaven.