Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there even be a poll here???
This poll is closed.
Yes 106 15.84%
No 117 17.49%
Goku 446 66.67%
Total: 669 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I never looked at my credit my entire life until I bought my condo. When they asked me what I thought my credit score was before they ran it I just kinda shrugged. 770, I had one credit card I opened when I turned 22 and just kept accepting credit line increases every time they offered them

This is supposedly how it's calculated, but my score bounces up and down every other month when I check it and there's no balance changes so that's obviously a crock of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

LabDrunk40 posted:

A clear what that you could claim to the what?

I'm pretty sure the judge being the brother of the defendant is a blatant case of a conflict of interest that would be hard to explain away, and the brother could have actually faced consequences for not recusing themselves. They probably just figured they could get away with it because its a small claims court and nobody would go through the effort of contesting it.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Brawnfire posted:

I think "Home of The Pizza" would be an excellent slogan for a pizzeria

I saw a chicken shop in Melbourne that had the slogan "Where Chickens Come Home To Roast" and I still haven't seen anything that can top that.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

hi david, this is mark

regarding the pizza

box slogan, on the sides

we want it to say “home

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

SLOSifl posted:

hi david, this is mark

regarding the pizza

box slogan, on the sides

we want it to say “home

forgive me
it was delicious
so hot
and so cheesy

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Brawnfire posted:

I think "Home of The Pizza" would be an excellent slogan for a pizzeria

Nah, that would be a really stupid slogan for morons

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Mauser posted:

Trees are truly the most dangerous game, probably statistically speaking anyway

It's even worse if you're including rope swings.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

steinrokkan posted:

Nah, that would be a really stupid slogan for morons

Can't argue with this, you've got evidence on your side

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Hungry for Pizza?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm pretty sure the judge being the brother of the defendant is a blatant case of a conflict of interest that would be hard to explain away, and the brother could have actually faced consequences for not recusing themselves. They probably just figured they could get away with it because its a small claims court and nobody would go through the effort of contesting it.

Don't worry, their other brother on the ethics review committee said there was no problem.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Who's this ding dong?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

First they came for the anti-maskers and I said nothing because they are trying to kill me.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Are you...unfamiliar with the US?

Basic financial literacy never being taught to us is like #7 on the list of Biggest Issues With America, and at this point (as with so many other hosed up things in this country) there are significant interests battling to keep it that way. If high schoolers were taught "a credit card is not actually money, do not treat it as if it's money" or "hot tip buying <expensive thing> with no money down and monthly payments just means you're getting hosed with the interest" or even just "here's how to actually calculate a budget and stay within your means while saving money", whole industries would fail. SA (which is highly US-focused during the US day until the Finns take over at 4 AM) is no different from the rest of the US in that regard.

I mean just skim through the bad with money thread in BFC and you'll see hy-larious examples of people in their 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and older who don't know the first loving thing about how money works, and while a significant percentage of them are just idiots, the biggest reason is really that no one teaches this poo poo and the credit industry and others have made it just "how things are" that you carry a credit card balance and have a car payment and house payment.
10 years ago I was making a large purchase at Macy's and they offered 10% off if I signed up for their Macy's credit card. For how much I was spending this seemed a good deal, so I fill out the paperwork and pay. 2 weeks later I get their Macy's credit card, I throw it in the trash. A month later I get a letter saying that I have a $70 late fee for overdue charges on the Macy's card that I never activated and obviously never used. That's when I discover they refunded the money I paid, charged it on their credit card without sending me a separate bill, and then whacked me with late fees. Did wonders for my credit score when I refused to pay them for 3 more months, being in my 20's and thinking they couldn't get away with this. :monocle:

Even if the refund part of the scam is legal, how is it legal for them to issue a charge that I didn't make? They can send me a bill after refunding me, but to issue an unauthorized charge to a credit card in my name sounds like credit fraud to me. :shrug:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Sanctum posted:

10 years ago I was making a large purchase at Macy's and they offered 10% off if I signed up for their Macy's credit card. For how much I was spending this seemed a good deal, so I fill out the paperwork and pay. 2 weeks later I get their Macy's credit card, I throw it in the trash. A month later I get a letter saying that I have a $70 late fee for overdue charges on the Macy's card that I never activated and obviously never used. That's when I discover they refunded the money I paid, charged it on their credit card without sending me a separate bill, and then whacked me with late fees. Did wonders for my credit score when I refused to pay them for 3 more months, being in my 20's and thinking they couldn't get away with this. :monocle:

Even if the refund part of the scam is legal, how is it legal for them to issue a charge that I didn't make? They can send me a bill after refunding me, but to issue an unauthorized charge to a credit card in my name sounds like credit fraud to me. :shrug:

You probably signed a thing saying they could do that, where it was written in 2pt font that was printed at 97% transparency.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

IShallRiseAgain posted:

There's a judge in New Orleans who was running a literal debtors prison, using false charges and falsified documents to arrest and jail innocent people to keep the scam running and continue to profit from it. Violations of numerous laws and constitutional rights were challenged by multiple lawsuits that the judge lost. The penalty?

lol Biden is nominating her to be US Attorney for New Orleans

https://twitter.com/equalityAlec/status/1439972179421147138

Judges don't face consequences for illegal actions in the US.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Nighthand posted:

There's a judge in New Orleans who was running a literal debtors prison, using false charges and falsified documents to arrest and jail innocent people to keep the scam running and continue to profit from it. Violations of numerous laws and constitutional rights were challenged by multiple lawsuits that the judge lost. The penalty?

Ooof yikes. Louisiana is a troubled place.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Robobot posted:

I never looked at my credit my entire life until I bought my condo. When they asked me what I thought my credit score was before they ran it I just kinda shrugged. 770, I had one credit card I opened when I turned 22 and just kept accepting credit line increases every time they offered them

This is supposedly how it's calculated, but my score bounces up and down every other month when I check it and there's no balance changes so that's obviously a crock of poo poo.

I'm in almost exactly the same boat, have been using the same credit card since college and its the only one I have. Credit score is 770-790 depending on the week's tea leaf reading.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Is that good

In germany we have percentage of likelyhood you'll pay back a loan

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Nighthand posted:

Jesus fuckin christ. Everything sucks.

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

Is that good

In germany we have percentage of likelyhood you'll pay back a loan

In the US it is voodoo, mixed with racism and sexism with a touch of elitism.

The US system penalizes you for paying off a loan early and rewards you for staying in debt. Regardless of your ability to actually pay off that debt, which most of us do not have.

Fun point, finances are taught almost exclusively at the university level which most Americans cannot afford without being saddled with crippling debt.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I order from this place occasionally. "Pizza I dunno" is something you can order off the menu. IDK what it is though because I've never ordered it.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qvns2zNtiv1r0uzl6.mp4

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

*infomercial voice*
There's got to be a better way!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

captainOrbital posted:

I'm going to assume you meant kiwi-fruit-sized. I was just talking to my kids about kiwis (the birds, not the people) and their eggs and the respective sizes thereof, and my mind just jumped to making a lump of lard and sugar the size of a kiwi bird and tossing it into someone's yard.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

*infomercial voice*
There's got to be a better way!

big rear end motherfucking CRANE

but they'd probably ship it by train and do the same thing to the crane

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

bossy lady posted:

I order from this place occasionally. "Pizza I dunno" is something you can order off the menu. IDK what it is though because I've never ordered it.

Half pizza/half calzone

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
The credit score system sucks, but refusing to play along as some kind of protest is setting yourself up for some late life schaden.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

The credit score system sucks, but refusing to play along as some kind of protest is setting yourself up for some late life schaden.
do you know how many terrible things this justification has been used perpetuate

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
What I don't understand is why you consider "have used a credit card" a sign of credit worthiness. Not having used one is clearly better?

Our credit rating is based on:
1. Income relative to desired loan
2. Other loans
3. Previous failures to pay.
4. Possibly having large credit cards? If it's in here, it's a negative. Credit card balance is technically a loan, so it might just count as that.

If you have no loans, and have never failed to pay off a loan (due to not having any, or having then and paying off. Doesn't matter), and your income is high enough, that's as good as your rating can get.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Starting to think Thinking even harder now that the schadenfreude simply is on people who have to live in the US :(

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Weatherman posted:

Starting to think Thinking even harder now that the schadenfreude simply is on people who have to live in the US :(

Yeah if this is your main issue you're probably at least 4 pegs up the ladder on a lot of people.

Needing to pay for credit protection is such a gently caress you, lol.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fake James posted:

I'm in almost exactly the same boat, have been using the same credit card since college and its the only one I have. Credit score is 770-790 depending on the week's tea leaf reading.

Checking your credit score affects your credit score so just check it less often.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

cubicle gangster posted:

Exactly.

KoRMaK posted:

do you know how many terrible things this justification has been used perpetuate

We’re taking about clicking I accept on a website to upgrade your credit card limit for free.

Settle down beavis.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wardens Cheatem and Lockett?? Cmon that's too perfect

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

KoRMaK posted:

You didn't mention them by name but I'm still counting this as a case of Godwin law, and once the conversation has gotten this stupid it's time to move the discussion on to something else.

MisterOblivious posted:

Half pizza/half calzone

That actually looks delicious.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i thought this belonged here

scott is on a roll

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Is that exclusively a character joke, a knock against people misusing the term, or the artist expressing their own views on welfare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Serephina posted:

Is that exclusively a character joke, a knock against people misusing the term, or the artist expressing their own views on welfare?

Yes.