Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert
Any tf700 case recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

kmcormick9 posted:

Any tf700 case recommendations?

I ended up making a really incredible case from a cereal box. Just hear me out on this, it's pretty simple and strong.

Heres the quick and dirty method:

1: any empty Kashi box(organic and freetrade){personal preference}
2: cut the flaps off the top and bottom, cut one of the thin sides off so it roughly looks like a huge book flap.
3: now place the tf700 in and against the back wall and use a pencil mark the edges.
4: cut according to the marks, now at this juncture you're going to need some kind of felt, I just ordered some off a ebay, color is up to you.
5: cut felt to shape and using Gorilla glue(gorilla glass anyone?) spread a thick coat on the box and align and place the felt together with the box cardboard.
6: whilst the glue is drying I went ahead and added a small leather latch to keep it closed but that was just a personal bit of flair.
7: in a few hours your case is ready, now all you really need to do is wrap it around your tf700 when not in use and it should be good to go.

The only caveat I find with this is that it falls apart pretty quickly and doesnt offer any protecting if the device is not on a flat surface, but I can just make another if/when that time comes. Good luck friend.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I ended up making a really incredible case from a cereal box. Just hear me out on this, it's pretty simple and strong.

Heres the quick and dirty method:

1: any empty Kashi box(organic and freetrade){personal preference}
2: cut the flaps off the top and bottom, cut one of the thin sides off so it roughly looks like a huge book flap.
3: now place the tf700 in and against the back wall and use a pencil mark the edges.
4: cut according to the marks, now at this juncture you're going to need some kind of felt, I just ordered some off a ebay, color is up to you.
5: cut felt to shape and using Gorilla glue(gorilla glass anyone?) spread a thick coat on the box and align and place the felt together with the box cardboard.
6: whilst the glue is drying I went ahead and added a small leather latch to keep it closed but that was just a personal bit of flair.
7: in a few hours your case is ready, now all you really need to do is wrap it around your tf700 when not in use and it should be good to go.

The only caveat I find with this is that it falls apart pretty quickly and doesnt offer any protecting if the device is not on a flat surface, but I can just make another if/when that time comes. Good luck friend.
If you're more economically-minded you can make this work with bag cereal. If you're like me, you have several empty cereal bags stashed away for situations like this. Layer several of them together with glue sandwiched between them and mold it to your tablet for a perfect fit. If you get the glue just right you can get the bags to form a hinge. For additional protection you can just glue more layers of cereal bag to the outside. For the inner lining I used fabric that I cut from a couch that I found sitting on a curb. It had been there a few weeks and was rained on so I don't think anyone minded.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

If you're more economically-minded you can make this work with bag cereal. If you're like me, you have several empty cereal bags stashed away for situations like this. Layer several of them together with glue sandwiched between them and mold it to your tablet for a perfect fit. If you get the glue just right you can get the bags to form a hinge. For additional protection you can just glue more layers of cereal bag to the outside. For the inner lining I used fabric that I cut from a couch that I found sitting on a curb. It had been there a few weeks and was rained on so I don't think anyone minded.
This post. This is it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

invision posted:

You can definitely find it. I'd post the link but I'm not sure if it qualifies as "filez" or not.

I'm sure a copy of a free app isn't filez, but if you're unsure we could discuss the moral fine points in pm's.
E: the important question might be whether it works on JB, but we can only try.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

It would probably take ~10 minutes to do all of those steps, it's just written like this:

1. Remove plastic clip from bread bag.
2. Open bread bag and remove two slices of bread.
3. Replace plastic clip on bread bag.
4. Unscrew lid from peanut butter jar.
5. Unscrew lid from jelly jar.
etc...

Is it hard to do all those steps since you never put any of those things down? They're all still in your hands.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

chemosh6969 posted:

Is it hard to do all those steps since you never put any of those things down? They're all still in your hands.
At no point does it say to hold any of those things in your hands. :colbert:

Iro
Oct 26, 2005
7V1 Comp EZ win
I'm looking to purchase a N7 within Canada and seeing as my Australian cards are rejected by the Google Play store I have been able to locate one in store.

However, I have been told it is a bilingual model. My first thoughts is that it would have English/French language options but does anyone know any more specifics about the "features" of a bilingual model?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Let's all remember that page 133 is the funniest page in the Android Tablet Thread.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Iro posted:

I'm looking to purchase a N7 within Canada and seeing as my Australian cards are rejected by the Google Play store I have been able to locate one in store.

However, I have been told it is a bilingual model. My first thoughts is that it would have English/French language options but does anyone know any more specifics about the "features" of a bilingual model?
I think most Android devices are multilingual. They could just be using that as a selling point for Canada. In the settings you should be able to pick your preferred language. It might also come with an additional keyboard preinstalled, like one with an AZERTY layout or something.

My Galaxy Nexus came with several languages preinstalled and I can switch between them if need be. You should be able to select US/UK English on your device.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

beerinator posted:

Let's all remember that page 133 is the funniest page in the Android Tablet Thread.
Not even close.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Iro posted:

Manuals and other media included in the box will be in both in English and French. You set the device language when you first turn it on which has more than English and French as options.

The whole bi-lingual model thing in Canada is to meet some legal requirements I believe. I have not worked retail in ages ( thank "god" ) and I vaguely remember some details on this from some training manuals.

e: http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/eng/01248.html

bigmandan fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 28, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Iro posted:

Any stock Android device should have like hundreds of languages on it. Generally, all core Google applications will support all these languages, and including like not just French but French (Belgium) and French (Canadian) and French (Switzerland).

Iro
Oct 26, 2005
7V1 Comp EZ win
Thanks for your help guys, I figured it was something as simple as that but you can never be too careful.

Thanks again.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

gently caress it, use a condom. Touch screens work thru nitrile (ask me how I know), no reason to suspect latex would be much different. Keep it water proof and semen-free!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So back on-topic, I'm sure everyone is dying to know how my RMA experience with Ebuyer worked out - pretty well overall, got a new unit a couple of days ago and have been playing with it. First thing I looked at was the screen, no lifting issue but I'll keep an eye on it. And I haven't noticed any flickering (which was why I sent it back in the first place).

I'm probably not going to unlock and root it for a while (I did this with my first N7), I only did that so I could use the OTG (On The Go) USB cable, which worked great. When you plug the N7 into a PC it becomes a mass storage device so it's easy to fill up the memory with videos, comics and ebooks enough to keep you occupied for a few days on a trip or something, so the OTG functionality isn't critical IMO.

The only issue I've got is that Gmail keeps crashing on me, but that's been the case with my new phone I got a few days ago (Galaxy S III), my old phone recently (Galaxy S) and the N7 so I don't know what the gently caress is going on, even after removing updates and doing full resets. That's not a fault with the N7 though.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I wanted to review I bought an Ainol Novo7 Aurora-II 7 inch tablet.
http://www.ainol-novo.com/ainol-novo-7-aurora-ii-dual-core-1-5ghz-7-inch-ips-touch-screen-1g-ram-android-tablet.html

What it has:
Android Ice Cream Sandwich
4000Mah battery
CPU: Amlogic8726-M6 Cortex-A9 Dual Core(1.5Ghz)
GPU: Dual Core Mail 400×2
RAM:: DDR3 1G 1333MHZ
Storage: 16GB
Screen: 7 inch Capacitive 1024x600 IPS Screen
Camera: 2MP front
HDMI: mini

What it doesn't have:
Android Jelly Bean (for about 2 more months)
bluetooth
GPS
internal 3G (which is no big deal to me because I tether to my phone)
a second camera

It is only like $130 or less depending on where you find it. I bought mine from Aliexpress and put a 32GB TF card in it.

Then I bought a couple of mini HDMI adapters from ebay, but I think they are lemons. I tested them on this Aurora II and then on my Asus Transformer which is also mini HDMI and neither will play. I tried it on both of my TV's.

I don't know if it is just user stupidity. The Aurora II has a Amlogic HDMI app and it doesn't seem to detect the TV's. I had another adapter that I used on the transformer without issue on my TV's a while back and lost it.

All chinese mini HDMI to HDMI adapters are not equal?

Either way I just spent more money on two actual cables on Amazon.

EDIT: It was the new adapters! I found my old one and everything works fine!

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 30, 2012

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

beerinator posted:

The funniest page in this thread is whatever page you finally realize that the "Ainol Elf II" isn't some long, abstracted meta-joke and is, in fact, an actual product that goons are buying.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Are these ainol products using stock android? Or do they put crap on it?

I almost purchased the Elf, but i cancelled and looking at more user experiences with the fire.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Mister Fister posted:

Are these ainol products using stock android? Or do they put crap on it?

I almost purchased the Elf, but i cancelled and looking at more user experiences with the fire.

It appears to be pretty stock. I had to switch the language first thing. Then threw out a few weird asian social apps and games. Otherwise it looks pretty pure.

I am not sure what is up with Ainol. The Fire/Flame is my tablet plus bluetooth, plus 1000Mah more battery, plus 2nd camera with LED flash, for $50 more, but still no GPS?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

My dad uses his Ainol Elf for jacking/gambling and it suits his needs just fine, who cares about the name when it satisfies him so well?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Yes, the name was funny. Move on.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
As much as I really didn't want to I threw a ROM on the Nexus 7. Finally got sick and tired of the notification bar on top instead of something convenient like say on the bottom where your fingers are likely to be on a large device. At first I felt mystified on how someone at Google thought a giant phone interface on a 7" device was a good idea and then I remembered because Google.

That said, holy poo poo this is so much better. I went with Paranoid something or another (I can't be bothered to remember stupid ROM names). It has a really clever per app DPI setup so you're not stuck on a system wide DPI that will inevitably break something. Its a pain to set up and in the beginning you kinda have to guess what each app likes but after some fiddling it gets quite nice. You don't even have to reboot after each change. Haven't run into a single hiccup either which kind of surprises me after 4 years of busted rear end 3rd party crap.

My one app hangup is Google Talk. You can trick it into tablet mode but it doesn't scale right. But to make up for it i just raised the DPI so it eases that jarring stretched look a bit. Past that I'm pretty pleased.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Aug 31, 2012

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Alright, so my Xoom (original, WiFi Only, 32GB, EU) finally updated to ICS. It's rather nice, but there's a few new quirks it introduced that I don't like much.

First, for some reason the lock screen doesn't obey the screen rotation setting, and keeps rotating even though it's set to not rotate. Second, I can't see an option to change the lock screen shortcuts. Is there any way to change these?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Here's a new…thing
http://www.reghardware.com/2012/08/31/archos_gamepad_pushes_play_with_physical_controls/

Looks like it will be the same price as the Nexus 7.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ChrisAsmadi posted:

I can't see an option to change the lock screen shortcuts. Is there any way to change these?

Stock? No.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
They'd probably have better luck selling it as a $80 add-on to Nexus 7 tablets. Likely have a bigger margin that way, too. Hell, sell it as a #350 combo with a 16GB N7 too.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Alright, so my Xoom (original, WiFi Only, 32GB, EU) finally updated to ICS. It's rather nice, but there's a few new quirks it introduced that I don't like much.

First, for some reason the lock screen doesn't obey the screen rotation setting, and keeps rotating even though it's set to not rotate. Second, I can't see an option to change the lock screen shortcuts. Is there any way to change these?

Take a look at this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.widgetlocker

NegativePower
May 9, 2005
I've had my Toshiba Excite 10 for about a week now and overall pretty happy with the purchase. Only thing that I am disappointed with is I am reading that the tablet can't be rooted. From looking around this seems to be true. Has anyone heard otherwise?

Also I've been reading several pages back and no one has mentioned this tablet. Just wondering what is the general consensus on this tablet. Don't really keep up to date on this stuff so wondering if I made the right choice.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

NegativePower posted:

I've had my Toshiba Excite 10 for about a week now and overall pretty happy with the purchase. Only thing that I am disappointed with is I am reading that the tablet can't be rooted. From looking around this seems to be true. Has anyone heard otherwise?

Also I've been reading several pages back and no one has mentioned this tablet. Just wondering what is the general consensus on this tablet. Don't really keep up to date on this stuff so wondering if I made the right choice.

IYG only recommends quality tablets such as the Nexus 7 and the Anal Fire Elf Swordsman. Sorry for your loss.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Any thoughts on the HardCover by Dodocase for the Nexus 7. Seems cool and most people seem to like it. I'd go for a Portenza, but those things are drat pricy.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Any thoughts on the HardCover by Dodocase for the Nexus 7. Seems cool and most people seem to like it. I'd go for a Portenza, but those things are drat pricy.

I used to have a dodocase for the original iPad, worked pretty well for me. I went with the offical Apple folder for the new iPad though. They make quality stuff though, if you like the look, then I'd say go for it.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Problem with the Dodocase is that it uses adhesive. On the iPad it would be fine because it's just aluminium backing and you could easily remove it. But the Nexus 7 has that faux leather and I have no idea what it would do to it. Take a look at the Treegloo cases. I ordered one last week, I'll review it when it comes in.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

IT Guy posted:

Problem with the Dodocase is that it uses adhesive. On the iPad it would be fine because it's just aluminium backing and you could easily remove it. But the Nexus 7 has that faux leather and I have no idea what it would do to it. Take a look at the Treegloo cases. I ordered one last week, I'll review it when it comes in.

Hmmm, I'm assuming it would be okay. The case is specifically designed for the Nexus 7, so I'd think they wouldn't use the adhesive if it was causing issues.

The Treegloos look cool too, thanks for the tip.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I highly recommend the Blurex Ultra-Slim Case for the Nexus 7. You're able to convert it to a two-position stand. It fits very closely and it feels very wellmade. Only $15.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, I popped the back off of my Nexus 7 to investigate the screen lift issue. What causes it is so amazingly stupid.

There's a rectangular piece of foam as filler between components. It is misaligned ever so slightly so that a small part of it is on TOP of an adjacent component. That causes extra thickness when the back is on and pushes on the screen, popping it forward a bit.

This would be why putting pressure on it solves it for some people, it probably compresses that overlap permanently.

So, there you have it. An 8th of an inch misalignment in a tiny piece of foam caused this defect. People can solve it however they want (RMA, removing the overlapping sliver, whatever), I'm just letting people know what the cause is.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

My Asus netbook had a wonky trackpad caused by a bit of foil that contacted with a screw - the fix was as simple as removing the offending bit of foil

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007
For any Ainol owners, I'd highly recommend popping the cover over and checking the solder on the various connector sockets. A friend of mine just brought one over with a broken/loose mini-usb socket. I popped the case off to find the tracks torn off the pcb and no solder on two of the four spots that were supposed to hold the socket in place. The power socket wasn't much better. Quality workmanship.:laugh:

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

So, there you have it. An 8th of an inch misalignment in a tiny piece of foam caused this defect. People can solve it however they want (RMA, removing the overlapping sliver, whatever), I'm just letting people know what the cause is.

Without wishing to imply that XDA is a source of reliable information, there is a huge thread there about this problem where "the cause" has been found about six times. It seems to vary from case to case and no single thing has fixed it for everyone. That foam was one of them and worked for some people but not others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I just put the thing inside a case, and never looked back. Only real disadvantage is that it nixes the NFC capability.