Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

SunAndSpring posted:

In general, all the new weapons really suck. Lever-action rifle is lame because Bethesda couldn't expend the effort to reach out to Obsidian and ask how they made the lever-actions in FNV work, the hooks are lame as is every other melee weapon because they're slow as gently caress and do little damage compared to silenced rifles, the harpoon gun can't even pin people or their limbs to the walls like that railway gun in 3 could, and the radium gun is a combat rifle but with radiation damage and an even uglier design. God I hate Bethesda.

I'm unsure how these lever-actions don't 'work'? They shoot bullets, they lever, they reload...what's missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Magmarashi posted:

I'm unsure how these lever-actions don't 'work'? They shoot bullets, they lever, they reload...what's missing?

From what I've read, I think people are annoyed that the damage is terrible and that you can't reload a single bullet and fire (like you should be able to on a rifle like that, and could in New Vegas).

Other wise yes, it is a rifle with a lever action animation.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Azhais posted:

From what I've read, I think people are annoyed that the damage is terrible and that you can't reload a single bullet and fire (like you should be able to on a rifle like that, and could in New Vegas).

Other wise yes, it is a rifle with a lever action animation.

The damage is perfectly fine as far as I have encountered, especially with Rifleman. Not being able to just load a single bullet doesn't seem like a big enough issue to make the gun garbage but that's more of a personal taste thing I guess, but I'm still unclear how it's 'They didn't know how to do it' instead of 'They didn't care to do it'.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Being able to reload one shell at a time and fire immediately because you've gotten in over your head and need to shoot something NOW was a huge part of FNV for me, at least until I switched to energy weapons and snipering.

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots
Am I going to miss out tremendously doing Far Harbor if I haven't progressed the main story line? I'm doing another play through and have purposely avoided it up until now. I don't have a problem with it or anything, I've just done it before and its a Bethesda game.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Derakarsis posted:

Am I going to miss out tremendously doing Far Harbor if I haven't progressed the main story line? I'm doing another play through and have purposely avoided it up until now. I don't have a problem with it or anything, I've just done it before and its a Bethesda game.

You need to progress past a certain mission in order to start the DLC. Getting A Clue

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've finally progressed the main storyline to just past fort strong in my survival game. Got sick of walking everywhere, the brotherhood can be my taxi service.

Not that my first flight was a rousing success. Went from the prydwyn to hangman's alley, it ejected me into a rust devil. A single rust devil. Went permanently into caution after killing it. Decided to just sleep it off, woke up, every single settler and companion in the Alley was gone and after a few hours only Cait and Codsworth came wandering back. God knows where the rest of them ran off to, probably went halfway across the map to kill the rest of that rust devils friends and got k/o'd so now I'll need to go re-collect them all :argh:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Derakarsis posted:

You just need to have Nick available as a companion afaik.

Jonesy posted:

Being able to reload one shell at a time and fire immediately because you've gotten in over your head and need to shoot something NOW was a huge part of FNV for me, at least until I switched to energy weapons and snipering.

The silly thing about no single reloads is that the laser musket already has this functionality.

Derakarsis
Aug 7, 2007
Hope you've had your shots

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

You need to progress past a certain mission in order to start the DLC. Getting A Clue

Hmm, this is actually exactly where I just left it, how convenient. I was mostly concerned about not having established any formal ties with one of the primary factions. I read something on the internet about missing out on some dialogue or faction ties while progressing the Harbor story line. Can anyone confirm whether or not that's BS?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
The real important question is, does wearing the Silver Shroud costume change anymore dialogue this time around?

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

QuantaStarFire posted:

The silly thing about no single reloads is that the laser musket already has this functionality.

If the laser musket let you wind up and store charges to use as individual rounds it'd be comparable sure, but without that function I only use it as a sniper rifle

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Derakarsis posted:

Hmm, this is actually exactly where I just left it, how convenient. I was mostly concerned about not having established any formal ties with one of the primary factions. I read something on the internet about missing out on some dialogue or faction ties while progressing the Harbor story line. Can anyone confirm whether or not that's BS?

I had some dialogue options tied to the Railroad, but I'm not sure if you need to be a certain way through their arc or if any of the other factions have them, since the Railroad and the DLC have similar themes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

The real important question is, does wearing the Silver Shroud costume change anymore dialogue this time around?

The Shroud, as always, walks the path of justice! It is YOUUUU, Longshoreman X, who have fallen to evil!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I had some dialogue options tied to the Railroad, but I'm not sure if you need to be a certain way through their arc or if any of the other factions have them, since the Railroad and the DLC have similar themes.

I've read there's stuff for the institute as well which makes sense. Doubt the other two are relevant.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Some early reports of the PS4 framerate being atrocious.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Nabbed a month of VPN on the cheap so I could pretend to be in Australia long enough to download Far Harbour. Steam seems unimpressed by my efforts as download still hasn't started. Sucks, had a lovely day and was looking forward to unwinding with some stupid bethesda game action.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So can you take your companions with you to Far Harbor (and the new companion back with you) or is it like New Vegas where companions were segregated from the addons and vice versa?

Because I want to restart the game with the unlimited companions mod on Survival and just march an army with me into the unknown. It's dangerous to go alone!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Rinkles posted:

Oh dear. Why isn't performance optimization a thing people do with toaster GPUs.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Lotish posted:

So can you take your companions with you to Far Harbor (and the new companion back with you) or is it like New Vegas where companions were segregated from the addons and vice versa?

Because I want to restart the game with the unlimited companions mod on Survival and just march an army with me into the unknown. It's dangerous to go alone!

I dragged Nick in there but he may be specially scripted.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Rinkles posted:

Don't know how "early" they can be if they're reporting six month old news

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Korgan posted:

I dragged Nick in there but he may be specially scripted.

not the kind of bear I was expecting in your avatar.

thanks for the tip, though. I'll try it out and see if anything explodes horribly.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall
So having played a few hours of Far Harbor now, is anyone else having an issue with it being actually really boring and uninteresting?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sweetroy posted:

So having played a few hours of Far Harbor now, is anyone else having an issue with it being actually really boring and uninteresting?

It would go against the spirit of fallout 4 if it were any different tho

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Haven't been able to touch my copy of Fallout 4 since two months ago? Going to be do a survival mode playthough when I get back. Anything I should absolutely know before going whole hog?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Covok posted:

Haven't been able to touch my copy of Fallout 4 since two months ago? Going to be do a survival mode playthough when I get back. Anything I should absolutely know before going whole hog?

You can only save via sleeping in a bed. Everything does more damage, yet somehow things are still bullet sponges. Explosives of all sorts will one-shot you more often than not. Ammo and healing items have weight. Carry weight is considerably reduced. Being over-encumbered can actually kill you. It's pretty cool.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Covok posted:

You can go cannibal but that leaves you with a craving for human meat that won't go away for 24 hours, during which only more human will satisfy you. (though the upgraded cannibal perk that lets you also eat super mutants and ghouls might work out fine). No fast travel, so get Vertibird grenades ASAP and unlock as many settlements as possible to have as many safe zones to sleep in (and save the game) as possible.

Chemist lets you brew Antibiotics at chemistry stations, which is useful for getting rid of various diseases. Without that you'll have to rely on a paid doctor (hard to come by) or herbal remedies (hard to craft because the ingrediants are only found in the wild, not entirely reliable)

Land mines will loving KILL you so Sneak 3 is advised, plus being stealthy around enemies increases your survivability anyway. Lone Wanderer might be a good perk to take since it'll make up for the drastically reduced carry weight you're stuck with.

New feature to Survival Mode is you can fill empty bottles with water (dirty or pure) from pumps and that's really handy.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 19, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
drat, sounds about as harsh as I was expecting. Perfect.

I might be spoiled since my last run before leaving was an unarmed only run in, what I call, the One-Punch Man build (it was more culturally relevant at the time).

I was never one for stealth until watching some let's plays taught me sneak attacks in Fallout are OP as gently caress. Any advice on how to change from a "guns-a-blazing" guy to a "sneak attack" guy?

Also, wouldn't lone wanderer mean I don't get any companions? Isn't that hurting myself? Companions are kind of OP, IIRC. At least, I think Danse was since he is always in Power Armor? Random question, can you command compaions to get into Power Armor and does that use up fusion cores?

gently caress, I just thought of something: without fast travel, how do I use Power Armor? Normally, I'd keep it in Sanctuary, fast travel to it when needed, fast travel to the mission, and fast travel back? I mean, I'm not made of Fusion cores. What do I do about Power Armor in Survival mode?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Antibiotics also aren't a huge issue unless you're doing a ton of chems. Early the diseases can be annoying but after you get doctor access, realize that radaway is the devil, get some settlements going, etc you really don't end up sick that often. And even then the game tends to drown you in antibiotics if you're diligent about checking chem boxes, I've got 30 or so just laying around and I don't even bother carrying one on me anymore.

e: Stealth builds just need some agi and some investment in stealth. Then start working on the stealth related perks like Ninja to bump your sneak attack. After you get reliable access to silencers, start investing in Mr Sandman. Otherwise just sneak everywhere and dance around the perimeter picking off visible guys before moving in.

Companions are still pretty good, but they can carry about 4 pounds now so they're not that useful as mules, and they don't auto-heal, you need to stimpack them. And if you don't stim them they get pissed, take their ball, and go home. I imagine once you get robots running they're more useful. Lone Wanderer's carrying cap increase and damage resistance are really handy tho.

Power armor and stealth really don't get along. For the most part I've just stashed a suit and a couple fusion cores at each of the settlements I've liberated as it is convenient so there's at least something nearby if I really feel the need to power armor it up, but through 64 levels so far the only times I've actually worn power armor is when I was transporting a suit someplace.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 19, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Covok posted:

gently caress, I just thought of something: without fast travel, how do I use Power Armor? Normally, I'd keep it in Sanctuary, fast travel to it when needed, fast travel to the mission, and fast travel back? I mean, I'm not made of Fusion cores. What do I do about Power Armor in Survival mode?

Either use a Vertibird or do without, I guess. Fusion Cores weigh four pounds each in Survival, too. The game is REALLY HARSH like that. Or you could get Nuclear Scientist and stretch the use of your fusion cores out.'

As for stealth, there's two schools of thought regarding it. You can use suppressed weapons, or you can use melee attacks. Suppressed weapons are not totally silent, enemies will notice if their buddies get shot and go into Caution for a while. Melee stealth kills have a far greater damage multiplier, too...and there's a Blitz perk in Agility that lets you move long distances in VATS for melee strikes, very very useful for a stealth melee build. The Ninja perk substantially increases the sneak attack multiplier.

EDIT: And while stealth and power armor do not normally get along, there IS that one mod for armor that imbues it with a Stealth Boy generator every time you crouch, which makes up for that deficiency.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 19, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

IIRC, the ninja perk is glitched when it comes to melee weapons. Did they fix that?

A few months back, I did a run of Skyrim where I voluntarily never used fast travel. Easier or harder than that in FO4 in Survival mode?

Really? 4 pounds? I know that's hyperbole, but it's insane to think they carry nothing.

Also, I probably won't be able to afford DLC for a few months. Big loss?

Speaking of level 64, I usually beat the game around level 12 or 15 back when I first started playing and I find you level slowly. Most LPs and people say they reach levels like 70 or higher, in my experience. Is there a trick or is it just sticking with one character for a very long time?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I've just been doing stuff, not going out of my way to level, so I dunno what to say. I've just been doing misc side quests and wandering around murdering things.

Hell, on survival things respawn ultra slowly so it's not even revisitation farming. Olivia still hasn't repopped and it was one of the first places I visited.

And yes, 4 is hyperbole but I bet it isn't over 50.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The expansion has a Fat Man that has been modified to launch bowling balls at high speeds.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Once you get robots up and running it helps. I have Codsworth rigged for like 255lb of capacity right now.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Pwnstar posted:

The expansion has a Fat Man that has been modified to launch bowling balls at high speeds.

Preordered.

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy
So far survival seems quite fun, but I hate not being able to console around items in my settlements, and I don't trust my single autosave to not get corrupted. Has anyone released decent mods to enable saving and the console?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Speedball posted:

Preordered.

It's decently fun, but you have to modify the bowling balls at a chemistry station to be able to use them, so you better hope you can find where they bounced or you have to recraft them all the time. I'm sure someone'll make a mod that makes it easier though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Pwnstar posted:

So... Junk Jet?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I just made the mistake of turning on Survival and War of the Commonwealth at the same time to start a new game. I couldn't even make it to Concord because stuff kept spawning that would kill me in one hit. :stare:

Covok
May 27, 2013

How do I save settlement under attack in survival mode if I can't fast travel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Oh, you have time to walk.

• Locked thread