Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

As much as I complain about this game, I really hope they keep making expansions. It's obvious there's a lot of thought and creativity put into them, and I always look forward to seeing more. Hopefully some UI/quality of life polish too!

My sentiments exactly! The team does great work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

I've been playing a bit as a Halfling sorcerer today (although also making heavy use of Draconian units since I started almost entirely surrounded by volcanic terrain), putting madmac's guides to good use. Absolutely loving it; sorcerer has clicked like never before. Age of Magic is ludicrously good and Chaos Rift is one of the coolest spells to use for sure.

Yeah, his guides are a better reference than the community wiki. How does that happen?

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah, his guides are a better reference than the community wiki. How does that happen?

Go read the official forums for ten minutes and you'll understand.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Reading effortposts from goons who know too much about [Game] instead of listening to pubbies bitch about dumb things is pretty much what makes this forum worth reading.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there no way to take a city that I'm equidistant from with another AI if simultaneous turns are on? I tried reloading a few times but he always moves to it before I can, taking it from the neutrals.

I guess 'don't play simultaneous' is my answer :v:

(rear end in a top hat is at peace with me and it was MY city :mad:)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Simultaneous turns should be thought of as "the AIs all take their turn, then you take yours." If the AI wants to make a move, it will always get to do it first. You can game it a bit for an AI with a lot of units in the field, like moving a settler before it gets attacked by Independents, but if that AI has decided to take the city as its first move, that's just how the game is played.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
I can't seem to get into the mood to do a real effortpost on dwellings, so lets just talk about the simplest dwelling, Giants!

A Giants Guide to Living Large

As Dwellings go, Giants are not amazing. Slightly more accessible then Dragons, but not nearly as powerful and almost as much of a gold/time sink to unlock. Like any dwelling they are very much worth doing quests for, however. Free Giants are always a great pickup, and it's certainly not a dwelling you would ordinarily want to buy, either.

It's worth bearing in mind that Giants are not very impressive T4 units even compared to other dwellings and class units. They are good melee beat-sticks but nothing more, with no impressive defenses or movement or special abilities and resistance is a real weak spot for them. All-in-all they can be helpful additions to your army especially early on but are still the easiest T4 units for anyone to deal with.

Anyway, the tech tree for Giants is pretty simple. To start, you will need to build the Stone Quarry for 120 Gold. It unlocks nothing but gives you +20 production which is honestly a better passive upgrade then any other dwelling gets. I mean you could start with the Burrow instead, but that would be pointless so you might as well get the production bonus first and speed up everything else very slightly.

After the Stone Quarry you will need to build the Burrow of the Degenerate Children for 150 gold and unlocking Ogres, your first buildable unit! (Ogres suck. Do not build Ogres.)

Why are Ogres so bad, you ask? Because they are garbage, that's why. They're 150 Gold Warbreed but with vastly lowered stats, no specials except wall crushing and inferior in every possible respect. Don't loving build Ogres.

So to recap, so far we've built two buildings and spent 270 Gold, to no actual benefit. We now have two more buildings to choose from that provide no immediate benefit. Hurray!

The Rock of Ages costs 200 Gold and gives the units we can't build yet Dragon Slayer. It's kinda cool sounding, but do you need Dragon Slayer that badly? Probably not, man. In the unlikely event that you are upgrading a Giants Dwelling while the other Guy is Building Dragons then hahaha you're so screwed. There are maybe situations in very long games where you would consider this but 90% of the time it is safely ignored.

Instead, you want to build the other unlocked building, Fangnir's Stone Ward. (Fangnir, btw was the Dwarf/Earth God Wizard in the older SM games. The more you know.) This will set you back 160 gold and grants stone skin to units (That you still can't build) defending the dwelling. It's not a bad buff but honestly defending dwellings against anything but small attacks is a losing game.

You have now built three buildings and spent 430 Gold for the privilege to build more buildings. You also have access to three final buildings, the Menhirs of Fire, Frost, and Stone Each one of them is 350 gold and you can't possibly afford to build more then one.

Total cost up to this point: 4 buildings and 780 gold and you haven't built a single unit yet. One giant will set you back about 320 in combined production costs, so we'll just call it 1100 Gold/Production to get your first Giant. Yeah.

Which type of Giant you will want to go for can vary slightly depending on match-ups, ect but we will take a look at each one in depth.

Stone Giant 280 Gold/40 Mana HP 92 MV 36 Def 14 Res 11 Melee Damage 18.

I see you have chosen Stone Giants. I am very sorry, but that was the wrong choice. That is always the wrong choice. Stone Giants gimmick is that you can use them to hurl rocks as effectively as trebuchets. Unfortunately, when the Trebuchet was nerfed to eliminate it's uncanny kiting ability, Stone Giants got hit with the same nerf, making them totally loving useless as cool skirmisher units. A Stone Giant can move or shoot. Pick one.

Having a ranged attack may still sound cool, but Stone Giants have nothing else going for them. They can Tunnel and Wall Crush and melee really badly for a T4 and that's all they do. Mind you a Free Stone Giant is still a great thing to have, because a free T4 is always awesome, but please do not ever spend money on Stone Giants.

Fire Giants 290 Gold/40 Mana. HP 96 MV 36 Def 16 Res 12 Melee Damage 17+5(fire)

Now we're talking. Take a moment and compare the statlines of these two units for a second. Notice how the Fire Giant is literally better in every way? Yeah, that's a thing. Fire Giants also have 100% Fire Protection and Inflict Scorching heat and get Inflict Immolation at Gold. They are weak to frost, but it's only -20%.

Fire Giants are generally speaking, the correct choice. They are immune to one of the most common damage types while dishing out very good dual-channel damage and having some solid on-hit debuffs. Even for a T4 they have quite respectable melee stats, though of course Dragons blow them out of the water on every possible metric and they are still Giants, so limited to being merely land-locked melee only beaters with low resist, but for what they do they are pretty solid.

Frost Giants 280 Gold 40 mana HP 90 MV 36 Def 15 Res 12 Melee Damage 15+5(Frost)

Frost Giants get extra cool points for looking awesome and having Giant Hammers. They're a bit weaker then Fire Giants overall, but have better debuffs with Inflict Frostbite+Inflict Freezing at Gold, plus Frost Damage is rare enough to be quite useful depending on the match up. Unfortunately Fire Weakness and Cold Protection is less useful then the converse at the moment, though the next Expansion should shake things up a lot, especially with all the Frostling Necromancers you'll inevitably be seeing.

So basically you want to go Fire Giants unless you specifically want Frost Giants for match-up reasons. It's an easy choice to make.

Despite my bitching about Giants being the second worst dwelling (they are though) Giants dwellings are generally worth going for. As much as it sucks to spend 14 turns and 1100+ Gold to get a single unit out, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the time and effort required to unlock Class T4 units. An early Giant or two may well win you the game, or at least give you a powerful tank unit to build your early to mid-game army around.

And that's Giants. I may or may not get around to looking at the other dwellings though probably not Dragons. There's just nothing interesting to say about Dragons. They cost a fortune but they're the most powerful units in the game, period.

madmac fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 6, 2014

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Kajeesus posted:

Simultaneous turns should be thought of as "the AIs all take their turn, then you take yours." If the AI wants to make a move, it will always get to do it first. You can game it a bit for an AI with a lot of units in the field, like moving a settler before it gets attacked by Independents, but if that AI has decided to take the city as its first move, that's just how the game is played.

This isn't really true in multiplayer, they seem to have coded the AI not to spam commands immediately so the start of everyone's turn didn't lag I guess? Neutrals/AI can be out-clicked pretty easily in multiplayer if you absolutely want to get something first in simultaneous turns.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Does anyone use battering rams? I haven't been able to figure out how to use them or if they're worthless.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Does anyone use battering rams? I haven't been able to figure out how to use them or if they're worthless.

How to use them: maneuver up to door/wall and bash

Worthless?: probably

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Rams actually used to be a thing in multiplayer, I'm not sure if they still are or if they got nerfed in some way.

50 Gold for a Unit with 65 HP + Machine Immunities + Reinforced and hits for 16 damage. For mysterious reasons, they can attack units. No need for an army, just let your Rams go in, break through the walls and solo the Archer garrison!

Cheese aside, they're actually pretty effective wall breakers if you can be bothered to bring them along.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
They actually kinda suck against melee beaters since they don't counterattack, but they can tank archer fire all day.

Of course if the defender has one or two melee at their city they can put those in place of the gate/wall once it falls and just use the archers to shoot anything else that comes close. Rams also don't really hit that hard compared to a melee beater unless you are hitting something with a lot of armor since they just get the one ram attack vs standard 3 hits.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 6, 2014

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

madmac posted:

Frostling Status: Awesome.

I do kind of wish they weren't snow goblins again. That'll make 4 of the 7 races as diminutive things. AoW World is full of tiny babymen.

That said, the viking angle is cooler than an inuit angle. And having innate frost damage and raiding abilities is neat, too.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Lassitude posted:

I do kind of wish they weren't snow goblins again. That'll make 4 of the 7 races as diminutive things. AoW World is full of tiny babymen.

That said, the viking angle is cooler than an inuit angle. And having innate frost damage and raiding abilities is neat, too.

Need Tigrans to balance things out. It's an odd bit of coincidence that AoW 3 ended up bringing back all of the short races while consolidating most of the human/elf types.

To be fair though, the Frostlings did get bigger. If you look at the screenshot they posted with the article the Raiders (Who represent the old Frostlings) are noticeably smaller then everyone else. It's hard to gauge their actual size without another race to compare them too and they have a stocky sort of build but they're at least dwarf size, or maybe larger.

I think we'll get a better idea of their new proportions once we see some heroes, or the new units next week.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
If the frostlings are goblin vikings I hope they get a unique ship

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Rabhadh posted:

If the frostlings are goblin vikings I hope they get a unique ship

Frostlings historically didn't need ships, because they just trailed in the wake of their frost queens. I hope that ability is preserved (Yetis get path of frost so its 99% sure that Frost Queens get it too)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Path of frost is going to be hilarious against draconians.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Doesn't want to write a big effortpost about dwellings, writes a big effortpost about giants :downs:

These are awesome, please don't ever stop.

By the way, Fangir wasn't in SM but AoW2 proper.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Triskelli posted:

Draconians like the Arctic as much as humans, orcs and goblins, and more than halflings.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Triskelli posted:

Well that just means we need path of fire to balance it out.

Speaking of new abilities, I wonder how they're going to spead them around to the old units. Spiders and assassins would probably be good fits for improved wall climbing, among other things.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I have a hard time finding much use for most tier 1 units, they just feel so flimsy. There are definitely notable exceptions, but by and large, I skip to tier 2/summoned/gathered units asap. Normal?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Do you not use elf longbows

Realtalk: tier 1 units are cheap chaff for when you need more units period. They're temporary space fillers, not things you really plan around using.

Longbows and mosquito darts are the exception

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It depends on the unit. Melee T1s struggle because they have to trade punches to function and the game will quickly move past a point where they will be able to survive doing that. Irregulars have a place as cheap flank generators and most of them have some kind of kicker that makes them worth taking a second look at, and the good T1 archers are some of the best racial units in the game, though they often come with a pricetag closer to T2 to reflect their quality. Swarm Darters and Longbowmen are viciously good units and Human Archers get a really really good perk at gold.

The game will probably move past T1s by the time you start gearing up to produce an army, so T1 melee units that are competitive amongst their peers but ill-suited to surviving against higher-tier opponents don't really get a time to shine (though frankly, I can probably think of situations where trading a 50 gold melee unit to soak up some Dragon's AP for next turn would still be worth it).

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Voyager I posted:

The game will probably move past T1s by the time you start gearing up to produce an army, so T1 melee units that are competitive amongst their peers but ill-suited to surviving against higher-tier opponents don't really get a time to shine (though frankly, I can probably think of situations where trading a 50 gold melee unit to soak up some Dragon's AP for next turn would still be worth it).

A dragon might just flame the T1 fodder before it gets close, but I know I've used T1s (or things with resurgence) as manticore fodder.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah in theory a horde of t1s can take down a t4 with flanking and depleting ap

In practice I usually find that sending a stack of swordsmen at a single dragon usually results in an easy win for the dragon

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Well, there are T4 units, and then there are Dragons.

Lets look at the Fire Dragon for a moment, not even the strongest variety!

HP 100 MV 30 Def 16 Res 13 Melee 20+5 Fire

Also has Fire Breath 20, Charge, and Fearsome. Gains Inflict Scorching Heat/Immolation with medals.

I mean, those are better pure melee stats then a Fire Giant, and it has flying, AOE Damage and better traits on top.

Fearsome is particularly powerful, against low-tier units especially they are likely to just give up and flee rather then continue attacking a mother-loving Dragon.

That said, I have killed Dragons with mostly garbage-tier units. Even Dragons will fall to flanking attacks, but you need an anchor unit who can at least slow it down or you're just losing guys every turn. Also Pikes are much, much, better then swordsmen against dragons.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
It's a little disingenuous to say that you would optimally bumrush a dragon with a bunch of T1 melee and win, a dragon can easily eat 200-250g worth of units before you kill it that way.

A mix of T1+T2 and debuffing the hell out of it will result in a dead dragon for little loss and why if you want to keep T4 units alive, you really need to think about positioning when the enemy can dogpile onto it. Even sparingly using T3 units to tie up a T4 in combat will result in being ahead economically.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Delacroix posted:

It's a little disingenuous to say that you would optimally bumrush a dragon with a bunch of T1 melee and win, a dragon can easily eat 200-250g worth of units before you kill it that way.

A mix of T1+T2 and debuffing the hell out of it will result in a dead dragon for little loss and why if you want to keep T4 units alive, you really need to think about positioning when the enemy can dogpile onto it. Even sparingly using T3 units to tie up a T4 in combat will result in being ahead economically.

Well, yes. Nobody should be seeing a Dragon and saying to themselves "Better keep throwing weak melee units at that thing until it eventually dies!"

With a hero, some ranged units and a decent tank or two, (T3 Preferably, barring that T2 Cav, or a Pike/Sword unit, in that order of preference.) even a Dragon will die very quickly on it's own.

You can do an incredible amount of Damage with T4 units, but it requires you to support them and positionally them carefully to prevent painful dogpiles.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Moving on from Giants to one of my favorite Dwellings, our lovely Fey Friends!

A Fey Guide to Prismatic Plasma

The Fey Dwelling is often underestimated, but frankly it's between this and Naga as the overall most useful and powerful dwelling. Unlike Giant and Dragon dwellings that force you to keep inserting quarters until finally a unit drops out 15 turns later, the Fey Dwelling is immediately useful and remains so the entire game. There are no weak units in this dwelling, just fantastically cost-effective ones that do it all for the love of murder.

Right off the bat you have three building Choices at the Sylvan Court, each of them leading to a different unit type.

The Unicorn Glade costs 150 gold and allows you to produce Unicorns. This is an entirely optional dead-end branch, and you're probably here for the faeries, but even so, don't underestimate Unicorns.

Unicorns are a very cheap T2 melee unit (80/10) that is pretty much a Cheaper Unicorn rider with Strong Will and Dual Channel Melee/Spirit Damage. With charge and armor piercing they can hit shockingly hard on flank attacks and with Phase flank attacks are only a button press away. They even get First Strike at Gold, which is way better then any racial cav unit gets.

It's not necessary to get Unicorns, but they're legit, especially if you're looking for a good source of spirit damage. They pair well with other Fey Units as well if you're just looking to get a meatshield or two to cover your faeries.

Another option is to build the Fairy Charm for 160 Gold and then follow-up by building the Nymph Pond for 150.

The Fairy Charm adds +4 Resist to defending units in the dwelling. It's really not worth building as anything but a Nymph Pre-req. So are Nymphs worth 300 gold to unlock?

Well, probably not, honestly. Nymphs are relatively cheap but very frail units. If you like to go all in on recruiting neutrals and you're not a Rogue, Nymphs are your best option-They have Seduce and Charm Animal, allowing them to potentially steal almost any type of unit. It can work, but like bardspam it's a fairly high-risk, all-in strategy and not something you just do as a side project. If you're planning to invest in Project Nymph you'll need full stacks, and well, it's a gamble. Though stealing Giants and the like can certainly make it worth the expense.

If you did go the Nymph route, you have the option to construct Aphrodisiac Flowers for 180 gold. This gives any attacking units a -4 resist penalty. (Doesn't work on Undead, Machines, or Dragons, unfortunately.) Again, it's not worth going out of your way for but combined with Fairy Charm it can make a garrison of even low-tier Fey Units a nightmare to fight.

But enough about possible side projects you can play around with once you've gotten bored with Fairie Spam, it's time for the main event!

To start the Fairy Pain Train going you just have to build the Buttercup Meadow for 150 gold. Every other building I've mentioned so far? Completely optional. You can construct a single building and go straight into Fairie spam, because the Fey Dwelling loves you and values your time as much as you do.

Buttercup Fairies are probably the most cost effective unit in the entire game. They cost 40/20 and give you a T1 unit with Faerie Fire, Floating, Forest Concealment, loving Bard Skills, and 40% Fire/Frost/Shock Protection. (Like all Fey they are highly vulnerable to blight, however.) They even give you projectile resistance at gold.

So yeah, Buttercup will wreck you. Great scouts with natural concealment, laughs at most forms of elemental damage, mobile, and has the ranged damage output of a Class T2 support unit. Combine with spells like Seeker and Mighty Meek to make them even more ridiculous. I've had Buttercup Fairies who survived and became grizzled champions with 80+ HP and let me tell you that girl never left my leader stack.

In theory, Fairies are highly vulnerable to melee attacks. In practice, anything charging a Fairy mob just gets instantly melted by Fey Lazers, so they're much more survivable then you would expect.

Ultimately, the only reason not to start massing Buttercup Faeries immediately is because the next tier is only one building away. (You should get at least 1 or 2 before moving on though, they are insanely helpful creeping units.)

Building the Buttercup Meadow also gives you access to the Toadstool Ring which is also just 150 gold and unlocks the next tier of Faerie.

Toadstool Fairies suffer from Middle-child syndrome. They're a notable upgrade over Buttercup Faeries, but at this point Nightshades are just one more building away...

My advice is that if you can afford to jump straight to Nightshades you might as well. Just keep in mind that Fey Dwellings have lowish production and you can't afford to hurry production often in any dwelling or the morale penalties will destroy your town. Toadstool Fairies are very good though and you'll be able to pump them out faster then Nightshades so if you want good units now, might as well make at least a few.

Toadstool Fairies have everything Buttercup Fairies do except for Bard Skills. They get +10 HP and +3 Def and their ranged attack gets upgraded to 4/4/4. Resists get upgraded a step from 40/40/40 to 60/60/60. Aside from better stats all around, Toadstool Fairies get blight damage on their melee attacks and Inflict Brain Rot. At Gold they get Inflict Noxious Vulnerability because the only thing better then a Fairy chucking around ridiculous ranged damage is one that does ridiculous ranged damage and also lowers your res so you take even more.

(Because Fairies are all weak against blight and practically immune to elemental damage this makes Toadstool Fairies specialized fey assassins that can cost effectively slaughter their sisters. No really. I did a big Fey on Fey battle once and it's painful. Remember I told you this.)

All of the Fairy units are incredibly good, but for continued endgame dominance, you want to build the Nightshade Hollow for 200 gold. (Total Cost to unlock, 150+150+200=500 Gold. You can rush Nightshades far more easily then any other dwellings ultimate unit.)

Nightshade Fairy

110 Gold 40 Mana HP 50 MV 28 Def 11 Res 14 Damage 5/5/5

Ahahahahaha. The Nightshade Fairy is so stupidly good. A T3 floating shooter with incredible ranged damage and a long list of awesome specials.

The Nightshade Fairy has Strong Will, giving it 100% Protection vs Spirit/Fire/Frost/Shock. It also has invisibility and true sight, meaning a stack of Nightshade Fairies can be roaming literally anywhere at any time, preparing to kill you. In combat it has Phase, and Break Control, because the Fey believe strongly in mind-control as long as they are the only ones doing it.

Nightshade Fairies are loving amazing. I'm pretty sure that in all my time playing the only time I've ever had one die on me was a certain fey on fey clusterfuck. (So much Fairy Punching...) If you get a full stack of Nightshades you can basically send them out to harass and murder at will, anything that approaches that mob will vaporize before making contact.

The one downside of Nightshades, and Fairies generally is that they are slow and not effective at long range. It can take them a few turns cautiously moving up before they can engage effectively in large battles. Phase helps, but casting haste or seeker on them helps even more.

For the money, Nightshades are waaaay better then Giants and arguably better then a lot of other dwelling units, especially given their relatively low cost and mobility. If you have a Giant or Naga Dwelling on the other side of the map late game, good luck making that work, but I am always happy to grab even a remote Fey Dwelling late game and quickly pump out a few Nightshades to assist my armies. The Fey Dwelling gives you options for any stage of the game, and that's why it owns.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just started playing, liking it so far, but got some questions about the mechanics I haven't seen explained well anywhere.

Each race has it's liked/disliked and hated climate/terrain, my question is, what exactly are the numbers on this modifier, is it +6 city happiness per liked -6 for disliked and -12 for hated?

Should I be terra forming the entire land around my cities to their preferred taste?

Should I plop a city down next to no resources in terrain they like if I've run out of treasure sites to expand on?

Also, what does population do for a city?

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 7, 2014

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Just started playing, liking it so far, but got some questions about the mechanics I haven't seen explained well anywhere.

Each race has it's liked/disliked and hated climate/terrain, my question is, what exactly are the numbers on this modifier, is it +6 city happiness per liked -6 for disliked and -12 for hated?

Should I be terra forming the entire land around my cities to their preferred taste?

Should I plop a city down next to no resources in terrain they like if I've run out of treasure sites to expand on?

Also, what does population do for a city?

Population allows cities to grow to the next size, which increases production and gold income. Cities that have population below a certain amount for their size (by spamming settlers, debuffs, etc) get drawbacks until the population grows again.

Terraforming a large city with lots of income sites near it can be a big increase since morale gives a % boost, up to 50% increase of everything the city produces at +600 morale I think. It isn't really worth it on small cities and/or cities with few resources for the same reason.

More cities is always better as long as they aren't in danger of revolution from low morale, but the resources to make it (and defend it) might be better spent simply taking a city from an enemy if you already have a strong economy base. It takes some time for a new city to grow, and you have to keep it safe. In the long run cities are great investments but stealing instead of building them means no up front money or time, and you take away a city from an enemy all at the same time. Also taking enemy cities is the main way you win the game, so doing it early and often is always a good idea.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Carnalfex posted:

Population allows cities to grow to the next size, which increases production and gold income. Cities that have population below a certain amount for their size (by spamming settlers, debuffs, etc) get drawbacks until the population grows again.

Terraforming a large city with lots of income sites near it can be a big increase since morale gives a % boost, up to 50% increase of everything the city produces at +600 morale I think. It isn't really worth it on small cities and/or cities with few resources for the same reason.

More cities is always better as long as they aren't in danger of revolution from low morale, but the resources to make it (and defend it) might be better spent simply taking a city from an enemy if you already have a strong economy base. It takes some time for a new city to grow, and you have to keep it safe. In the long run cities are great investments but stealing instead of building them means no up front money or time, and you take away a city from an enemy all at the same time. Also taking enemy cities is the main way you win the game, so doing it early and often is always a good idea.

Larger cities also get a larger domain, which is the main advantage of growth.

I also always terraform if I can spare the mana, even on smaller cities. Happier cities can trigger several beneficial events, one of which instantly finishes their current production. It's more than just the bonuses the city itself gets.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Good point, I forgot the bonus events for high morale. You can get extra money, mana, and research as well as production boosts from those.

Domain I honestly think is the most minor of the effects of city growth unless there are resource nodes or a significant net morale gain from those extra tiles. That being said, unless you are placing cities in the rear end end of nowhere the first few domain increases are going to get you more resource nodes because you planned it that way. It just stops mattering much once you grab the nodes near you. The RMG usually places 2-4 nodes relatively near each other, then empty space before you find more, so you don't get huge expanses of empty area or tightly packed super city spots.

If you're on a custom map that jammed a resource node into every single tile then domain would be hugely important.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I probably ignore city happiness too much. I never get baths or hospitals. It just seems kind of minor when I could be making soldiers instead.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Another round of questions.

If I have a leader full of bonuses to troops, do the bonuses only apply to the 5 other guys in the stack or also to any adjacent stacks in a fight?

Does the +6 HP per turn fast healing only apply outside of combat?

I tend to get one arcane forge early enough in a second city to finish the empire quest for the free legendary weapon or mount, once the forge is up and I have the spare mana, what should be my first projects on it? I find weapons and boots drop like crazy so I don't need to forge those.

Volunteer+true sight helmets?
Fairy fire or muskets?
something else?

Is it ever worth going into mystical tier treasure sites full of dragons and other nasties? seems like I'd need a god army to do that, and if I had one of those their time would be better spent on other players.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If I have a leader full of bonuses to troops, do the bonuses only apply to the 5 other guys in the stack or also to any adjacent stacks in a fight?

I tend to get one arcane forge early enough in a second city to finish the empire quest for the free legendary weapon or mount, once the forge is up and I have the spare mana, what should be my first projects on it? I find weapons and boots drop like crazy so I don't need to forge those.

Fairy fire or muskets?
something else?

Is it ever worth going into mystical tier treasure sites full of dragons and other nasties? seems like I'd need a god army to do that, and if I had one of those their time would be better spent on other players.

1. Leader Bonuses Only apply to the one stack, including the Leader himself.

2. Yes. It effectively doubles the units natural healing allowing them to recover much more quickly between battles.

3. I'll let someone else answer that, but there's a lot of powerful stuff you can forge.

4. Mythical Item Rewards are (usually) extremely powerful, much stronger then anything you can forge or find elsewhere. They are well worth the trouble if you have a stack that is able to clear them. Also the Mystic Sites themselves allow you to build powerful unique buildings once cleared if they are within one of your city domains.

madmac fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 8, 2014

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Fairy fire or muskets?
something else?

Seeker is more useful on a helmet, if your hero uses ranged much. Seeker gives +1 damage to all types of damage your ranged attack does, plus eliminates LOS penalties (up to -75%) and range penalties (-50%)
So, seeker + Faery fire + maybe a musket could be worse.
Torso items also get the incredibly powerful regrowth, which gets even better as your hero ups his HP, defense and resistance. (The former increases the amount of health regenned each combat round, the latter two prevent damage)
I usually use Volunteer on the boots. Tireless is also good (Tireless+Regrowth+defense boosting stats makes your hero a melee god)
Again if you have a ranged hero, use the shield item to add bonus damage (go for elemental types you don't already deal, I usually go +2 cold (because hardly anything resists cold), +2 fire and shield)
Also get charm, dominate, etc. For your heroes. Its great, especially against big dumb tanks with low resistance like Warbreeds, Trolls, and Giants.

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
Also if you have several crappy stacks of random quest reward units or summons or whatever, you can kamikaze them into a tough dungeon and just focus on taking down one or two units each time, then using your main army for the finish. Just make sure you do it all in one turn so they don't heal. This doesn't work well on the one high end dungeon that can have phoenixes, although even those have some non-phoenix stuff you can try to kill before the firebirds murder the hell out of you. Even if the phoenixes resurge for the real fight they'll have 35% hp, so it does help a little.

Although you have to really want the reward for this kind of suicide tactic to be worth doing, honestly. Even one army of tier 1s is going to cost you at least a couple hundred gold and 6 turns to create.

Carnalfex fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 8, 2014

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
At least check what the garrison is before moving on. Some of the mythical sites can be more manageable than you'd expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carnalfex
Jul 18, 2007
True...and some tier 4s have specific weaknesses you can exploit as well. Naga gluttons don't last long against ranged physical attacks, for instance. Fliers can be punished (for cost) by pike troops. Suiciding a squad of specific counters onto a tough dungeon can really soften it up for you.

• Locked thread