Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The restraint on not bringing back Broly last arc surprised me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I imagine Cheelai vetoes anything beyond sparring.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure that everyone recognises that while Broly probably needs to learn to defend himself, especially considering the chances he's going to end up fighting Freiza or someone like him, he also needs to have it approached very carefully to not be a danger to himself and everyone around him. Being pretty much a Saiyan take on the Hulk more than ever now.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

He probably would have been the worst person to bring in to fight Moro.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
There's also the thing where, while Broly might be super powerful, he's been forced into fighting against his will for his entire life and doesn't seem to actually want to do it 24/7 like Goku and Vegeta.

Well, yet, anyway.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Kanos posted:

There's also the thing where, while Broly might be super powerful, he's been forced into fighting against his will for his entire life and doesn't seem to actually want to do it 24/7 like Goku and Vegeta.

Well, yet, anyway.

Yeah, he's got kind of a Gohan thing going. Only way less lame.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Siegkrow posted:

He probably would have been the worst person to bring in to fight Moro.

Moro looks at Broly and sees a giant hot dog like a cartoon character starving on a deserted island

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Would like to see the alternate ending where Broly keeps powering up until Moro pops like a mosquito.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blockhouse posted:

Moro looks at Broly and sees a giant hot dog like a cartoon character starving on a deserted island

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Would like to see the alternate ending where Broly keeps powering up until Moro pops like a mosquito.

This bit came to mind;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psoAtTD0NHc

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This is known as "the Yakon Maneuver" and has a 100% success rate for our heroes

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, he's got kind of a Gohan thing going. Only way less lame.

Well now I want those two to become buds

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The issue is when Moro eats enough to pop it takes out the galaxy with him

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

see also zamasu (anime)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the metal cooler movie is the dumbest implementation of the Yakkon Maneuver

God there's just nothing to recommend about that movie

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

the metal cooler movie is the dumbest implementation of the Yakkon Maneuver

God there's just nothing to recommend about that movie

haha i forgot that was the ending

movie bad imo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's basically nothing in that movie that makes a lick of sense, and not in the usual fun Dragonball way but in the "this script just got crapped out over a weekend huh" way.

And then, of course, you have how the movie actually looks.

That's not an out of context in-between! That's on screen for several seconds!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

plus the big gete star isn't even that big, for a star

More like the decent sized gete moon imo

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

projecthalaxy posted:

making lovely nerd raps on youtube under the screenname Lil Gete Star

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

but the big gete star allowed me to cheat death!
how can this be!?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

projecthalaxy posted:

Same could be said for the Makyo Star for that matter

and now I'm imagining the stupidity that would be the two fusing somehow

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

The funniest thing about meta cooler is the xenoverse 2 story mission where after you kill the Cell jrs they are replaced by 30 meta coolers and even Cell thinks it's an annoying waste of time

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

drrockso20 posted:

Same could be said for the Makyo Star for that matter

and now I'm imagining the stupidity that would be the two fusing somehow

oh man Metal Garlic Junior in Xenoverse when

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I liked the Cooler movies :shrug:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Star Man posted:

I liked the concept of the Cooler movies, and really hope Cooler gets rehabilitated like Broly did

but Goku doing a big HNNGPOWERUP and winning all of a sudden instead of actually fighting a giant metal horror Cooler is just, I can't forgive it

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I remember Cooler 1 being ok i think plus its important to complete the set with Janemba, Bojack, and Turles as "here's our second draft of the latest arc" quadrilogy

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Metal Cooler is maybe one of the worst designs in Dragonball

He's Cooler but silver, and not even in an interesting color scheme changing way like Golden Freeza he's just...silver.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

He's Cooler but silver, and not even in an interesting color scheme changing way like Golden Freeza he's just...silver.

https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Meta-Cooler?file=Gold_Meta_Kura3.PNG

If it helps, in Dragon Ball Heroes, Meta-Cooler becomes Golden Frieza

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

Blockhouse posted:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Haha that dog is going to die. Yay for American cartoons, this Japanimation is too violent.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Blockhouse posted:

The fact that they never made a Metal version of his actually cool looking 5th form is a travesty, and I knew that as a wee babby watching that movie for the first time.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Star Man posted:

Cooler 1 is honestly one of the better non-canon movies. Like sure, it's ultimately a rehash of the Freeza fight, but Cooler stands out a lot from his brother. He's shown to be a significantly better boss (he never kills his own subordinates, for instance), he has a really cool transformation, he seems to be genuinely calm and composed instead of Freeza's pretense of such, and he's shown to be the exact opposite in terms of work ethic: Freeza was born with extreme power so he never bothered to improve himself, Cooler was born significantly weaker (he sticks to his Final Form because he has no reason not to, being so much weaker means he doesn't need to create lower forms) so he trained his rear end off and managed to actually create a transformation that powers him up instead of down.

Videogames go even further, showing Cooler as having a genuine sense of honour, perhaps none more than Shin Budokai where Cooler takes Videl hostage in order to force Gohan and friends to give up, then realizes that Gohan is too pure (as he was fully willing to let himself get killed to save Videl), and changes his terms to Gohan alone fighting him (despite this being very much suicidal from Cooler's part - this is an Ultimate Gohan that actually kept training post-Buu). It ends exactly as anyone would expect, except Gohan is genuinely confused at Cooler's change, and Cooler just points out he would've loved to have Gohan under him.

There's a lot left to interpretation and Cooler's character unsurprisingly changes depending on adaptation, but I feel there's a strong core there you don't get from any other non-canon movie villain. I'd love to see Cooler canonized. That said, I wonder if you could at this point, since the hard-worker part of his personality was already taken by Freeza himself who now trains to grow stronger. Then again, it's not like Broly has much in common with Takao Koyama's gigantic manchild, so canon Cooler could be an interesting one regardless.

Meta-Cooler is a horrendous movie in every way sadly, but Cooler 1 is still good.

Neo_Crimson posted:

The fact that they never made a Metal version of his actually cool looking 5th form is a travesty, and I knew that as a wee babby watching that movie for the first time.

That would've been sick. At least his Golden Form is based on his evolved form.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?
Metal Cooler looking like a cyborg version of his Shredder form would have been dangerously rad

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Cooler 1 having Sauzer's name not intended to be a pun on Salsa but instead on "Thousand Island Dressing" is still the most WTF thing to me.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raxivace posted:

Cooler 1 having Sauzer's name not intended to be a pun on Salsa but instead on "Thousand Island Dressing" is still the most WTF thing to me.

It may be more obvious in Japanese, considering that Heroes would later add a character actually named after salsa, and their kana are clearly different (Cooler's is サウザー Sauzā, Heroes' is サルサ Sarusa)

Probably most obvious here is that Cooler's has no "l" sound at all.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Cooler 1 has Cooler's "Plant Me A Dumbass Tree" attack which was rad and I'm glad it's in DBFZ.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

This is the only Cooler related moment I remember

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

that and him planting a dumbass tree

e:f,b

Augus fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 29, 2021

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Cooler actually oozes style, it really helps elevate him over hopeless losers like Turles, Hirudegarn and Meta Cooler.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cooler is a dumb and unoriginal villain but yeah he looks cool and the fight with him was really cool. Metal Cooler removes both these elements and that’s why he is poop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Cooler's design is also surprisingly elegant, and IMO does a good job of iterating on Frieza's in a more traditionally powerful way than, say, some of Cold's designs from Multiverse.

Also, way better color scheme for NotFrieza than Frost or Golden Frieza. And I think Golden Cooler looks better than Golden Frieza, too.