Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Stefan Prodan posted:

idk how many of you guys are familiar with powerup comics, but the guy is not being serious

that entire comic is on like 9 levels of irony

they fact that people itt missed the joke makes it 10x funnier to me. LOL!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Stefan Prodan posted:

idk how many of you guys are familiar with powerup comics, but the guy is not being serious

Oh man. The internet's been levelling up its irony while I've been sitting here reading Garfield.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

He said the quiet part loud by not understanding what he’s saying. If something is conserved in a physics sense like he’s using, it can never be created or destroyed. If economic value cannot be created in bitcoin, which it can’t, that means that it is not a source of wealth generation merely redistribution. This is extremely true: it is a zero sum game where every time someone makes money they are taking it out of a bag holders’ pockets.
It's actually negative sum because of the operating costs of the miners. :v:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

get his rear end shadow

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
https://twitter.com/gadyepstein/status/1494753457458323458

Some interesting self-reflection going on there, they're not beyond hope!

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Big "are we the baddies?" energy there

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/AASchapiro/status/1494723110171394048

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

El Spamo posted:

Big "are we the baddies?" energy there

Lol one of the posts even says that, jokingly

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
huh troll farms/bots must be super obvious or s new level of terrible if even the cesspool that is reddit is noticing or getting negative about it.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The image is of naughty libertarians put into the bitcoin wiggler to atone for their cp

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/allahliker/status/1494740266326102025?s=21

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

bad press about Bukele's Bitcoin scam starting to hit major outlets. This is good for Bitcoin https://www.cbc.ca/radio/podcastnews/nothing-is-foreign-episode-1-1.6342891

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

:hmmyes:

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

https://twitter.com/__femb0t/status/1494789467084926980?t=vGLA2SDcye27TmBNc6x1bQ&s=19

So humanity is just running through all the lovely demonstrations of crypto/NFTs now so that the useful, utopian use cases can land in 10 years, right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PhazonLink posted:

huh troll farms/bots must be super obvious or s new level of terrible if even the cesspool that is reddit is noticing or getting negative about it.

Even nftbros are apparently genuinely shocked at how bad the spam is on twitter.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
bitcoin :argh:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Space Fish posted:

https://twitter.com/__femb0t/status/1494789467084926980?t=vGLA2SDcye27TmBNc6x1bQ&s=19

So humanity is just running through all the lovely demonstrations of crypto/NFTs now so that the useful, utopian use cases can land in 10 years, right?

Between this and PonziCoin and loving Monkey Jizz, yeah, anything will work

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

A civil action in Ontario court has won a rare Mareva injunction against the assets of the chud convoy including buttcoins

quote:

The freezing order, also known as a Mareva injunction, is separate from the federal government’s continuing efforts to seize the same funds. The order is in place so the donations to the convoy – as much as $20-million from around the world – could potentially be redistributed to the citizens of Ottawa if the class action proves successful.

The order, issued by Justice Calum MacLeod, tells the convoy protest leaders and fundraisers that they are now restrained from “selling, removing, dissipating, alienating, transferring” any of the assets raised for the protests. It is in effect globally.

“This court orders that each Mareva Respondent shall prepare and provide to the Plaintiffs, within 7 days of the date of service of this Order, a sworn statement describing the nature, value, and location of his or her assets worldwide,” the injunction says.

Justice MacLeod’s order says that such disclosures must also include “any digital assets (and any associated cryptocurrency wallet addresses).” It adds that any refusal to provide such information could amount to “contempt of court,” which in turn could lead to imprisonment or fines.

This is good for Bitcoin.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"Bitcoin cannot be touched by the STATISTS!" -- idiots

"That's a nice knee you have there, be a shame if something were to happen to it." -- statists

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012

Juul-Whip posted:

A civil action in Ontario court has won a rare Mareva injunction against the assets of the chud convoy including buttcoins

This is good for Bitcoin.

Between the canadian government allowing bitcoin to be sought after in civil suits and the FBI creating a new crypto division I am hopeful that 5 years from now we can look back at these events and LOL that this was the beginning of the end for crypto. Every corporation and 2 bit celebrity bandwagoning with NFTs currently certainly seems like a sign that it's all gonna fail spectacularly and soon.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

The Dakotas come to Bitcoin.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
So this is less about Bitcoin and more about smart contracts, but my Cloud Computing class has an assigned reading which proposes smart contracts to prevent two clouds from colluding on the same computation, where apparently both clouds agree to give the same wrong result to a client. I don't know, it seems...extremely stupid?

Paper abstract posted:

Cloud computing has become an irreversible trend. Together comes the pressing need for verifiability, to assure the client the correctness of computation outsourced to the cloud. Existing verifiable computation techniques all have a high overhead, thus if being deployed in the clouds, would render cloud computing more expensive than the on-premises counterpart. To achieve verifiability at a reasonable cost, we leverage game theory and propose a smart contract based solution. In a nutshell, a client lets two clouds compute the same task, and uses smart contracts to stimulate tension, betrayal and distrust between the clouds, so that rational clouds will not collude and cheat. In the absence of collusion, verification of correctness can be done easily by crosschecking the results from the two clouds. We provide a formal analysis of the games induced by the contracts, and prove that the contracts will be effective under certain reasonable assumptions. By resorting to game theory and smart contracts, we are able to avoid heavy cryptographic protocols. The client only needs to pay two clouds to compute in the clear, and a small transaction fee to use the smart contracts. We also conducted a feasibility study that involves implementing the contracts in Solidity and running them on the official Ethereum network

Emphasis mine. The dryness of the academic paper is somewhat offset by the sheer lunacy of what they're proposing, which includes a secret smart contract where one cloud agrees to pay the other a bribe.

quote:

We demonstrate this by the Colluder’s Contract, which is a secret smart contract between the two clouds. In the contract, the cloud who initiates the collusion coalition agrees to pay a bribe to incentivize the other cloud to collude. More importantly, both clouds make a commitment by paying a deposit which will be taken if they do not follow the collusion strategy

Maybe I'm just not tech savvy enough, but I feel like fraud is illegal already? Is this supposed to be done in a bunch of Dark Web clouds? What is the business sense of two clouds agreeing to compute the same thing incorrectly? Why is a vein in my eyelid throbbing?

Edit: Wow, the next paragraph gets even more bonkers. They propose a contract to smart counter the smart contract they just proposed:

quote:

the Traitor’s contract works not by countering the collusion agreement directly, but by forgiving one (and only one) cloud who follows the collusion strategy. The aim of the Traitor’s contract is not to incentivize the clouds to deviate from the collusion, but to encourage them to report the collusion to the client

So the goal is to encourage the two clouds to give false information to the client, then encourage one of the clouds to tell the client they gave them false information? Why was this published in Newcastle University?

Xanderkish fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 19, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Xanderkish posted:

So this is less about Bitcoin and more about smart contracts, but my Cloud Computing class has an assigned reading which proposes smart contracts to prevent two clouds from colluding on the same computation, where apparently both clouds agree to give the same wrong result to a client. I don't know, it seems...extremely stupid?

Emphasis mine. The dryness of the academic paper is somewhat offset by the sheer lunacy of what they're proposing, which includes a secret smart contract where one cloud agrees to pay the other a bribe.

Maybe I'm just not tech savvy enough, but I feel like fraud is illegal already? Is this supposed to be done in a bunch of Dark Web clouds? What is the business sense of two clouds agreeing to compute the same thing incorrectly? Why is a vein in my eyelid throbbing?

Edit: Wow, the next paragraph gets even more bonkers. They propose a contract to smart counter the smart contract they just proposed:

So the goal is to encourage the two clouds to give false information to the client, then encourage one of the clouds to tell the client they gave them false information? Why was this published in Newcastle University?

It's just extremely theoretical, to the point where it seems absurd (as is often the case with extremely trustless systems).

The hypothetical it's based on is just kinda wild. What if a company wants to utilize cloud computing in order to cut costs, but is worried about the cloud company altering their code to return false results? So they hire two separate cloud companies to both run their code at the same time so they can compare results. But what if they're still worried that the two cloud companies might collude with each other to both alter the company's code in the same way so that both clouds are returning identical false results?

That's one hell of a threat model. If you have real, serious reason to worry about Amazon and Google colluding with each other to sabotage your cloud code in a way you can't detect, then the obvious answer is "don't run your poo poo on the cloud". If you have that much to worry about, then cost-cutting's got to take a back seat. That's not much of a research paper topic, though, so instead we get extremely implausible thought experiments that are vaguely interesting algorithm theories but of no use in the real world.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
There's a part in the paper where they make additional assumptions for their model, including that no legal system exists that can fine these clouds for fraud, and that these companies are somehow able to even know how to falsify the computations in a way that requires less effort than just doing the computations to begin with, and with the client unable to tell the difference.

It feels like this paper (and a lot of crypto-related stuff) can be summarized as "If you just assume a reality that is wildly different from the one we live in, our solution makes a lot of sense!"

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the commercials theyre running for crypto seem especially desperate now

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

punishedkissinger posted:

the commercials theyre running for crypto seem especially desperate now

i really hope its the beginning of the end, but this whole situation has been so stupid for so long and still hasn't collapsed. it's hard to be optimistic about it anymore

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Another day, another person steals NFTs..

https://twitter.com/Sandmonkey/status/1495214863014150151

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/MikeBurgersburg/status/1495198842064670724

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
For the last time, it's not a hack, it's a smart contract.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

NFT/11 was an inside job.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Judging by that profile pic, he got scammed for a lot more and just hasn’t realized it yet.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Xanderkish posted:

Somebody should let this doofus know that it's named the Byzantine Generals Problem because a successful traitor general is going to usurp the throne and become the next emperor. As frequently happened in the Byzantine Empire. And therefore there is no bribe or incentive that you, the current emperor, can use to stop the treachery. Other than giving them the thing that you're trying to protect.

Instead he has solved the Byzantine Easily-Bribed Shopkeepers Problem. That's the one where some number of spice merchants in Constantinople are trying to sell fake spices, and the most money they can make from it is the amount of fake spices they can sell. So therefore according to Game Theory you can figure out which of them are doing it by offering them enough money that they say "ahhh, such a wise man, I cannot fool you, here are the real spices!"

It's not a particularly difficult Problem.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

duffmensch posted:

Judging by that profile pic, he got scammed for a lot more and just hasn’t realized it yet.

it's an investment, DAD. you wouldn't understand

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

Today I discovered a friend of mine is selling* bikini pics of herself as NFTs and I'm prepping for it coming up and how gently I will scold.

*nobody's buying but yeah

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
If it's just couple million dollars worth of apes, I can see OpenSea simply refunding people.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Good to know you can taper off of benzos by giving mind numbing crypto pitches to someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

But I thought jet fuel couldn't melt monke.