Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a Sino ship shipping service’s lovely map.

You were so distracted by what blue meant that you didn’t notice the Austro-Hungarian Sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
"Leave me out of Yugoslavia will you..." said Bulgaria as it depressed the plunger.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

lovely maps you say?

I wanted to do an "I'm [w/e]" joke here but there is just so much going on here that I wouldn't even know where to start

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Poor Sweden

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Antarcticanese? Penguinese?

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Platystemon posted:

It’s a Sino ship shipping service’s lovely map.

You were so distracted by what blue meant that you didn’t notice the Austro-Hungarian Sea.

I got confused by the country names all being in French except for "Cambodia"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

System Metternich posted:

lovely maps you say?

I wanted to do an "I'm [w/e]" joke here but there is just so much going on here that I wouldn't even know where to start

I don't know how I never noticed how much like a Christmas stocking the Arabian peninsula looks. Or a big kid's rain boot.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

lovely maps you say?

My favourite part is the Francophone USSR.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Armacham posted:

Poor Sweden

Karu Pohjola

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Ensign Expendable posted:

My favorite part is the several countries that have sunk into the sea. What did Mongolia ever do to anyone? Oh, right.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Not Hindi-speaking Norway?

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
I am glad to find a map that acknowledges the great hoax perpetrated upon the world's youth: Brazil produces the vast majority of anime, collecting the profits while letting the innocent Japanese be blamed for it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I can’t quite see, did they really make japan and korea the same color?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Or is it Russophone France/Quebec? :colbert:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Grape posted:

I don't know how I never noticed how much like a Christmas stocking the Arabian peninsula looks. Or a big kid's rain boot.

Probably because on most maps there's another country on the other side of Persian Gulf that makes it a little bit less stand-outish.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

HookShot posted:

Or is it Russophone France/Quebec? :colbert:
Arabic speaking white russia is my favorite.

CourtFundedPoster
Feb 2, 2019

lovely maps you say?

It makes me sad that Papua New Guinea gets a single color despite being the most linguistically diverse country on Earth, yet neighboring Indonesia and Australia get tons of different color splotches.

Hell, they even throw some splotches onto Western New Guinea, which is just adding insult to injury.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Okay so it's missing Sweden, Italy, a huge chunk of the Middle East, and they're definitely not using enough colors; but at least they didn't forget New Zealand this time.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 11:00 on May 10, 2019

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

CourtFundedPoster posted:

It makes me sad that Papua New Guinea gets a single color despite being the most linguistically diverse country on Earth, yet neighboring Indonesia and Australia get tons of different color splotches.

But it doesn't bother you that apparently the central ice sheet of Greenland is one of the world's linguistic hotspots? And that Greenland gets its own color, matching neither Nunavut nor Denmark?

Maybe the mapmaker knows of some ancient civilization hiding under the Greenlandic ice sheet, like in Barjavel's La Nuit des Temps.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Prussia and Austria fought multiple wars in that time, that's a pretty weird definition of cold war you have there.

What I always found strange is that Austria never developed a sense of revanchism against Prussia, or the later - Prussian dominated - German Empire. Especially after Königgrätz.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Hammerstein posted:

What I always found strange is that Austria never developed a sense of revanchism against Prussia, or the later - Prussian dominated - German Empire. Especially after Königgrätz.

The Austrians do have a bit of a hangup about the other German Empire at least. The Austrian military history museum in Vienna makes a huge deal about how the Austrians were "the first victims of the Nazis" and how they "suffered the longest German occupation of any nation" etc. They seem to really have done their best to try to paint themselves as comparable to the Czechs or Poles in their suffering, instead of acknowledging the huge awful Nazi supporters/collaborators they were in reality.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Blut posted:

The Austrians do have a bit of a hangup about the other German Empire at least. The Austrian military history museum in Vienna makes a huge deal about how the Austrians were "the first victims of the Nazis" and how they "suffered the longest German occupation of any nation" etc. They seem to really have done their best to try to paint themselves as comparable to the Czechs or Poles in their suffering, instead of acknowledging the huge awful Nazi supporters/collaborators they were in reality.

It's like Billy Wilder's joke about how the Austrians managed to convince the world that Beethoven was Austrian and Hitler was German.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Epicurius posted:

It's like Billy Wilder's joke about how the Austrians managed to convince the world that Beethoven was Austrian and Hitler was German.

Mozart, not Beethoven. Salzburg wasn't a part of Austria until 1805, 14 years after Mozart's death.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Billy Wilder was technically speaking Austrian as he was born in the Austro-Hungarian Empire though his home town is now in Poland and his native language was Yiddish.
Same goes for his roommate Peter Lorre although his birthplace is now in Slovakia.

Private Speech posted:

Southern French you mean.

"Wogs start at Calais"

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 10, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

vetinari100 posted:

Mozart, not Beethoven. Salzburg wasn't a part of Austria until 1805, 14 years after Mozart's death.

No, the quote/joke is Beethoven.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Although there was indeed a minor international quibble over whether Mozart was German or Austrian a few years ago (I think it even started with a Wikipedia edit war or something?) - it's a nonsensical question, really, because as was already said Mozart was born in the independent prince-bishopric of Salzburg which would only become "Austrian" long after his death, and the understanding of what being "German" or "Austrian" meant back then was so fundamentally different from what it is today that it frankly renders the entire discussion absurd.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

That never stops Germans from claiming various people from the last 1000+ years as German. The 1000 year Reich might not have worked in reality but it's alive and well in the collective mind.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

meant back then was so fundamentally different from what it is today that it frankly renders the entire discussion absurd.
So is Jesus Israeli or Palestinian?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Roman, and therefore Vaticanese.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

cebrail posted:

That never stops Germans from claiming various people from the last 1000+ years as German. The 1000 year Reich might not have worked in reality but it's alive and well in the collective mind.

Well, many of them saw themselves as „German“, Mozart certainly did :shrug: Again, there is a vast gulf between today’s nation state-inspired conceptions of „German“ and earlier ideas that were coming more from vague ideas of culture, language, who your ruler was etc. It’s not wrong to call, I dunno, Frederick II of Prussia „German“, but his „German“ is ofc very different from our „German“ and we mustn’t forget that

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Well, many of them saw themselves as „German“, Mozart certainly did :shrug: Again, there is a vast gulf between today’s nation state-inspired conceptions of „German“ and earlier ideas that were coming more from vague ideas of culture, language, who your ruler was etc. It’s not wrong to call, I dunno, Frederick II of Prussia „German“, but his „German“ is ofc very different from our „German“ and we mustn’t forget that

I mean there's no conflict in German being both a nationality and an ethnicity.
Most Austrians are the latter while obviously not being the former.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The part of Austria-Hungary where Germans lived was often called "German Austria". So when that state fell apart at the end of WWI, a new country called German Austria proclaimed its independence. The main goals of German Austria were uniting every part of the old Empire where Germans lived and becoming part of Germany as fast as they possibly could.

The Allies, however, dictated three things to German Austria:

1. You've gotta be independent even if you don't want to be.
2. You'll get the lands we decide you'll get. You lost the war.
3. You're so not allowed to be part of Germany, you can't even call yourself German Austria. It's just plain Austria from here on out.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also it's literally called EasternState because it's to the east of the other German states.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Freudian posted:

Roman, and therefore Vaticanese.

Greek. The Vatican is an illegitimate grant of the barbarian Franks

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Byzantine posted:

Greek. The Vatican is an illegitimate grant of the barbarian Franks
Okay an actual good nickname/post combo. :thumbsup:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

"German Austria"

Which in itself is historically speaking sort of a misnomer! Ultimately "Austria" goes back to the "Marcha orientalis", a border land of the Duchy of Bavaria covering roughly the area between Linz and Vienna which was mainly populated by Slavs and was mostly lost to marauding Magyar raiders in 907, and the name "Austria" always applied to what are today the federal states of Upper and Lower Austria instead. It's only because the Habsburgs also called themselves "Arch-House of Austria" that this name slowly and gradually got to cover also many of the non-Austrian territories of that family: Tyrol (which for a long time also included today's Vorarlberg), Carinthia, Styria and even a number of splintered territories in the south-west of today's Germany which were subsumed under the label "Further Austria" even though nobody would call, say, Freiburg an Austrian city today. When the Habsburgs called the empire they established in 1804 simply "Austria", even though it also covered areas like Hungary, Croatia, big chunks of northern Italy and what is today's Czech Republic, which in turn saw a great number of Germans living in those majority non-German speaking areas, it complicated things even further. This extension of the name "Austria" took a very long while and only really got finalised after WW2 when today's nation state of Austria asserted itself, I would say. And even now there is a small but vocal minority of far-right wingers who primarily see themselves as Germans and not Austrians and who want to unite the two states.

In short: This poo poo's complicated :v: If you want more of this, then check out the Wikipedia discussions on whether Mercator was Dutch or German, or if Kopernikus was a Pole or a German, or if Serbs, Croats, Americans or even Austrians get to claim Tesla (except you really shouldn't because wikipedia statehood discussions only manage to be infuriating and super bland at the same time)

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

In short: This poo poo's complicated :v: If you want more of this, then check out the Wikipedia discussions on whether Mercator was Dutch or German, or if Kopernikus was a Pole or a German, or if Serbs, Croats, Americans or even Austrians get to claim Tesla (except you really shouldn't because wikipedia statehood discussions only manage to be infuriating and super bland at the same time)

Look if the Alexander the Great dispute got resolved, there’s hope for everyone. Just need the EU to get involved.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Blut posted:

Tell me about it, I AM Austrian. When I graduated from highschool in the late 90ies things had barely begun to improve in school books.

And now, 74 years after the end of WW2, the ideological successors of the NSDAP got elected by 24% of the voters and our vice-chancellor is a former neo-nazi.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I remember when Haider died and everyone was glad because they didn't realize Austria had a veritable bonanza of other Nazis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Austria was even ruled by their own flavor of fascism before the Anschluss.

That's one of the wacky things about fascism. There was a cavalcade of very specific national varieties sometimes even several in each country.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 10, 2019