Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
Lifespan I've got one more.

What's the team's view on the SS internals being a bit weaker compared to the SX? As you mentioned with dev times being so long it was probably a gamble made a long while ago. Even in this thread we've had people be jerks (just get the X), still it's amazing what you were able to put out for $300 and I know there are definitely a lot of folks for whom $200 more is a whole lot of money.

The entry level PS5 doesn't compromise specs but it also wasn't much cheaper so the SS is probably very attractive by comparison. So far it seems okay but down the road I know a lot of gamers have expressed concern that the second hardware configuration + reduced specs of the SS will catch up and games just won't work that well on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's not being a jerk to someone to tell them that they'll enjoy the hot tea more if they wait a little bit. in this example the series s is slightly scalding your tongue. it's not really that much worse than normal but why would you pick that on purpose?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lifespan posted:

I was on the side of the rumored "Xbox Infinite" when the day came. It would have been very hard to follow, but I felt they had many years to figure that out. I guess the burden is on 343i with Halo now...

Just pull out some infinite set theory stuff. Technically there is an infinite amount of infinites of different sizes! :science:

Er, possibly using set theory in your naming convention would not lead to less consumer confusion thou...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the real move would have been not naming it the Xbox 360 to help with grabbing the coveted 'cant even read the box, just knows the number is bigger so it's better' demographic or whatever the reason was.

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

it's not being a jerk to someone to tell them that they'll enjoy the hot tea more if they wait a little bit. in this example the series s is slightly scalding your tongue. it's not really that much worse than normal but why would you pick that on purpose?

The person in question specifically asked about the One X vs the Series S which told me their breakpoint was around $300. It could be they wanted a casual machine or couldn't afford the X or maybe they just didn't know but the prevailing attitude in the thread was unable to process why anyone would even consider the cheaper option, which you just demonstrated.

EDIT: In any case I don't necessarily think it was a terrible decision. It's a different philosophy from the PS5 approach but I can see why the compromises were made where they were to get the price as low as it could be. I also think the S has a really nice form factor and the lower power draw and heat is nice.

Snyderman fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 6, 2022

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

American McGay posted:

What?? Why wouldn’t they?

A few reasons.

First, the consoles this generation are balanced and pretty exceptional. The PS4 and Xbone were both underwhelming upon release in terms of hardware performance.

Second, what is going to be the hook? The PS4 Pro and One X had 4K as the big marketing gimmick because 4K TV adoption was ramping up but 4K content wasn't.

Third, pricing. I don't think we are going to see significant reductions in MSRP on consoles this generation. From an interview with Digital Foundry:

quote:

To put that into perspective, Xbox 360 launched with individual CPU and GPUs, both fabricated at 90nm. By the generation's end, those two components had been combined into a single chip, delivering a significant cost reduction in its own right, and they were also delivered using a much smaller process (possibly as low as 32nm on the final model). Between launch and the end of the 360's lifecycle, the machine had actually transitioned through several fabrication nodes. Its successor - Xbox One - saw its processor revised just once, down from 28nm to 16nm FinFET. Cost reduction opportunities were thin on the ground for this generation and will be even more constricted going forward.

"Moore's Law is certainly not dead! Moore's Law is continuing and we have a good path to 5nm and 3nm, and those are going to bring improved performance and good power," enthuses Goossen. "What they're not bringing any more is a good cost reduction cost per transistor - and so this has foundational impacts to console development, because now we'll get cost reductions, but they're slowing down and it won't be nearly the magnitudes that we've seen before."

The fact is that future nodes like 5nm and 3nm do deliver advantages then - and PC processors and GPUs along with smartphones can still benefit from those. But typically, consoles stick to the same performance profile across the generation. Goossen is essentially suggesting that leveraging these nodes for cheaper consoles may not be an option, which poses a difficult problem for the Xbox team going into the future with the intention of delivering even more powerful hardware. Processor performance is tied closely to transistor count - but if the cost per transistor is not reducing, a new chip with more logic will cost a lot more to make, even if it's actually smaller than today's processors. For the new consoles, a smaller, slimmer machine is a possibility - but the actual cost of making it won't change that much.

"And so that was another one of the reasons why we felt that we really had to do Series S at the beginning because we had to design for the future. For the first time, we had to have the entry-level console at the beginning. Previous generations were kind of easy because at the beginning of the generation, you make something really expensive - put as much silicon and as much performance as you could into it - then you would just ride the cost reduction curves down to mass market prices. That's not there anymore," Goossen explains.

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2020-xbox-series-s-big-interview (I included a lot from the article because it's a great article and worth reading.)

I think it's way more likely that Microsoft and Sony will increase the storage in the consoles as SSD prices drop to maintain or raise ASP. I think it's also more possible that Microsoft could make a SteamDeck-like portable Series S at some point at a SteamDeck-like price point. I just don't see how pricing an enhanced console would work given the sales of last generation enhanced hardware.

Finally, we are in a global recession and I expect to see the video games industry contract. Not the time to release expensive hardware without a very good reason.

Enhanced consoles aren't impossible this generation, though! I just don't think it will happen.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

I’m definitely sick of the AAA 6 year dev cycle $400M budget style games. Give me sick little 5 hour experiences.

yeah for real

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Supraland really impressed me as one of those awesome short low-budget games, I was pretty amazed it was made by one dude. Great Gamepass game

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

joylessdivision posted:

To all the goons who talked about how chill House Flippers is, thank you. This game is exactly what I needed.

I know, right. I'm honestly contemplating buying the Garden Flipper dlc now, just looked at the trailer and it looks DOPE TO THE MAX

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snyderman posted:

The person in question specifically asked about the One X vs the Series S which told me their breakpoint was around $300. It could be they wanted a casual machine or couldn't afford the X or maybe they just didn't know but the prevailing attitude in the thread was unable to process why anyone would even consider the cheaper option, which you just demonstrated.

EDIT: In any case I don't necessarily think it was a terrible decision. It's a different philosophy from the PS5 approach but I can see why the compromises were made where they were to get the price as low as it could be. I also think the S has a really nice form factor and the lower power draw and heat is nice.

look you cant blame me im an American so the rest of the world doesn't exist and $250 and $500 aren't very different even when you're as broke as I am

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Unreal 5 Demo only available in the Xbox store until July 9th, after that it gets delishted (but can be re-downloaded)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Unreal 5 Demo only available in the Xbox store until July 9th, after that it gets delishted (but can be re-downloaded)

The Matrix one?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

The Matrix one?

yeah meant to say

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Have they been updating that at all to get it to run more smoothly, or was it a one-and-done sort of thing? I can totally understand it being the latter, but if it's performing better now I'd definitely check it out again.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

They should’ve named the one and series consoles any drat thing other than what they did. Anything works if it’s not confusing. Nintendo named a console after a penis and it sold millions and millions of units.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Toaster Beef posted:

Have they been updating that at all to get it to run more smoothly, or was it a one-and-done sort of thing? I can totally understand it being the latter, but if it's performing better now I'd definitely check it out again.

I don’t think it was patched at all

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

Nintendo named a console after a penis

huh????

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Look I call it my gamecube cause I got game and it’s sort of cube shaped which probably isn’t normal

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Look I call it my gamecube cause I got game and it’s sort of cube shaped which probably isn’t normal

U got a purple or silver one? Handle?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I had a pet theory that they were going to pull a Windows and just name the new Xbox "Xbox 5," maybe with "oh yeah the One X was the 4th Xbox" as a flimsy pretext.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Lifespan posted:

Here's a side story. There was a common term internally called a "98052 problem." That is the zip code of central Redmond, WA where Microsoft HQ is. When someone would bring up an issue like "when I connect my third One X to the network and connect a third Elite controller to the console, X happens", the response was "that is a 98052 problem" in that between prototype hardware and corporate discounts, Xbox employees have homes filled with far more hardware than any reasonable fan would have and we needed to not focus on those corner cases.
lol

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Wii

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blue Raider posted:

Nintendo named a console after a penis

:dafuq:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if the next one isn't called "The Six Box" or 6BOX then i don't even know what we're doing here

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

John F Bennett posted:

I know, right. I'm honestly contemplating buying the Garden Flipper dlc now, just looked at the trailer and it looks DOPE TO THE MAX

WAAAAT. I'm already downloading Lawn Mowing sim because I want to try another (in theory) chill sim but gardening DLC you say?

Power Washer needs to drop already god drat it.

Lifespan posted:

I honestly don't want to know what sort of poo poo they tried to feed retail staff to sell the console. I will say that I have never worked harder on a project along with many excellent engineers who just wanted to deliver something great. It was a huge lesson in how management and influence can really gently caress up a passionate team. A big part of the reason I speak highly of Phil is that he was able to come in and make the real moves to call out mistakes of the past of win back the support of both the team and the customers. If Don Mattrick stayed in control for another 6 months we would not be talking about Xbox today. Sorry you had to put up with that poo poo.

No worries friend. Admittedly I'm digging way back into my memory at this point, but the bulk of the training stuff I remember was a heavy push on all the multimedia stuff the One could and how you could multitask with it, and TV, hype the new Kinect and all the new features yada yada yada, basically "Please ignore that this is supposed to be a game console and that our launch lineup is pretty poo poo except Sunset Overdrive"

Speaking of Sunset Overdrive, I still own my promo Sunset Overdrive ragline shirt and a sealed can of whatever the hell the energy drink was for the game sitting on my shelf. I remember we opened one of those cans and tried it, it was one of the absolutely most vile loving energy drinks I've ever tasted.

I have a vague memory of one of the tech team who was a big dude walking into the stockroom where I worked after the E3 announcement, looking at me and saying "Well that was a loving disaster" and then just walking back into the tech cave. :allears: He was my favorite curmudgeon coworker.

I have mostly positive memories of my time working there, I was part of the team that opened the SF store and it was legit one of the best teams I've ever had the chance to work with in retail. Until I got fired two and half years in :v:

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 6, 2022

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Lifespan posted:

I honestly don't want to know what sort of poo poo they tried to feed retail staff to sell the console. I will say that I have never worked harder on a project along with many excellent engineers who just wanted to deliver something great. It was a huge lesson in how management and influence can really gently caress up a passionate team. A big part of the reason I speak highly of Phil is that he was able to come in and make the real moves to call out mistakes of the past of win back the support of both the team and the customers. If Don Mattrick stayed in control for another 6 months we would not be talking about Xbox today. Sorry you had to put up with that poo poo.

Do you think Mattrick would have persisted with the same course and run Xbox into the ground?

What are your memories of the always on internet requirement and the public backlash? Any of your colleagues' thoughts on the "we have a console for people who can't always be online, it's called Xbox 360" and is 8 years old and is getting phased out?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I thought they were going to call the One Xbox 8 and increment from there. Got the pretext of syncing up with Windows releases and keeps you ahead of Sony forever

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Sunset Overdrive was the first Game Pass game I tried on a whim (on PC) that I hadn't played previously and it was fantastic. I had missed the XBone generation so had missed out on that one. Really fun game!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

priznat posted:

Sunset Overdrive was the first Game Pass game I tried on a whim (on PC) that I hadn't played previously and it was fantastic. I had missed the XBone generation so had missed out on that one. Really fun game!

I also missed the Xbone generation and would be interested in other recommendations from that era, especially the ones on gamepass.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Lifespan is there anyone who worked on Windows Media Center who I can buy a beer and say "It was really good, you did a really good job" to?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

External Organs posted:

I also missed the Xbone generation and would be interested in other recommendations from that era, especially the ones on gamepass.
If you're on PC, unironically Ryse. Super constrained on console despite working as a technical benchmark, max settings and 60fps let the fights sing

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is Zoo Tycoon on Gamepass? It’s surprisingly well made

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the next Xbonx, inexplicably, will be called "The X-BOX ONE HUNDRED"

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Oh hey, it's another one of those games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPiKDFxK7xA

I'll probably check it out.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

hatty posted:

Is Zoo Tycoon on Gamepass? It’s surprisingly well made

I think so? If I have the right sim. There's a zoo sim on Xbox. I don't know if it's on PC offhand.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I thought we just got the Xbox S|X already?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ryoga posted:

I thought we just got the Xbox S|X already?

I would love to the next generation being named Xbox Seven, using that exact awesomely stupid excuse.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do you think Mattrick would have persisted with the same course and run Xbox into the ground?

What are your memories of the always on internet requirement and the public backlash? Any of your colleagues' thoughts on the "we have a console for people who can't always be online, it's called Xbox 360" and is 8 years old and is getting phased out?

Ohhhhhh loving hell I totally forgot about that stupid line about the 360. I'm pretty sure that was an actual talking point we were supposed to use when talking to customers about their concerns but we were supposed to spin it as being like "Hey its cool we get it, buy a 360 :v:" which thinking about it again, they tried that line on me when I pointed out that I had extremely spotty internet connection at my place at the time.

I was very blessed to be a stock monkey because I didn't have to try and use any of the god awful talking points that were drilled into us whenever a product launched

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 6, 2022

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Snyderman posted:

What's the team's view on the SS internals being a bit weaker compared to the SX? As you mentioned with dev times being so long it was probably a gamble made a long while ago. Even in this thread we've had people be jerks (just get the X), still it's amazing what you were able to put out for $300 and I know there are definitely a lot of folks for whom $200 more is a whole lot of money.

The entry level PS5 doesn't compromise specs but it also wasn't much cheaper so the SS is probably very attractive by comparison. So far it seems okay but down the road I know a lot of gamers have expressed concern that the second hardware configuration + reduced specs of the SS will catch up and games just won't work that well on it.

The console and SDK are designed to make things as scalable as possible. The idea with that machine is that it runs the same code as the X but at 1080p/1440p instead of 4K (and usually lower quality assets due to the decreased resolution). In practice it is obviously not that simple, but it's also not a huge hurdle in development. I don't see a reason why developers would not ensure their games run well on that platform going forward given that they will still have a sizable audience on it

Zerot posted:

I think it's also more possible that Microsoft could make a SteamDeck-like portable Series S at some point at a SteamDeck-like price point. I just don't see how pricing an enhanced console would work given the sales of last generation enhanced hardware.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that one. There are a bunch of initiatives that got pretty far but never saw the light of day and a portable console was never one of them. I would be very shocked if there was ever a true handheld Xbox. Digital Foundry's piece on why there might not be a "Pro" this generation makes a ton of sense. The only thing I believe would inspire a "Pro" would be if it was easier to cost cut with newer/faster components.

joylessdivision posted:

"Please ignore that this is supposed to be a game console and that our launch lineup is pretty poo poo except Sunset Overdrive"

Speaking of Sunset Overdrive, I still own my promo Sunset Overdrive ragline shirt and a sealed can of whatever the hell the energy drink was for the game sitting on my shelf. I remember we opened one of those cans and tried it, it was one of the absolutely most vile loving energy drinks I've ever tasted.

I have a vague memory of one of the tech team who was a big dude walking into the stockroom where I worked after the E3 announcement, looking at me and saying "Well that was a loving disaster" and then just walking back into the tech cave. :allears: He was my favorite curmudgeon coworker.

Sunset was a year after launch. I still have a can of Overcharge, though it is empty as I picked it up from our booth at E3 and chugged it immediately because I was working long hours. It wasn't great.

Public reactions to E3 press conferences are hilarious. It's mostly executives getting a rock star moment and hopefully they don't look like too much of a tool. It's all good news about fun stuff but people decide it was some huge battle and there are reasons to be upset about. I do hope they come back in person again though, as if you have ever been to one of the big ones, they are really fun. Seeing crowds of overhyped people explode over teaser trailers like it's their favorite band's b-side getting played live is great.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It doesn't matter what Mattrick's course would have been. Most of us lost all confidence in him and much of his leadership team, so there would have been a huge brain drain and the One would have had even more problems making launch. One of the problems was that some of the more controversial parts of the One were actually not really a thing. Things like the required connection, that's all licensing stuff and could be dialed in to whatever we wanted. They could have required a connection every second of everyday, not at all, or some other mechanism and those guys were still refining it. There were some really ambitious ideas with game libraries and being able trade/sell digital games or easily swap between physical and digital, but all that messaging got completely lost in the controversy. Instead marketing and management decided to just publicly draw a line in the sand and tell people to deal with it. When Xbox released the statement that said "we listened and we are changing things," we actually didn't really change anything, they just threw out the possibility of some crappy things that were never going to happen anyway.

As far as Mattrick's comment, that was the last straw. My understanding is right after that comment hit the internet, he was called back to Redmond and was told by Ballmer he is out. I have no idea what the backstory is with the Zynga thing but they learned their lesson as well. That comment happened after I had worked ~30 hours in two days setting up things at E3 including some things specifically for him and I was furious. I was happy that he got shipped out of LA right way because I'm not sure I would have kept my mouth shut when I was supposed to see him the next morning. There was a team of super dedicated, hard working people that were putting in insane hours to complete that project and he managed to destroy a lot of excitement with a few dumb comments.

TheScott2K posted:

Lifespan is there anyone who worked on Windows Media Center who I can buy a beer and say "It was really good, you did a really good job" to?

Thanks for the compliment and no beer necessary. It was sad to see it left to linger, but much of the team ended up moving over to Xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is it true that phil loves lost odyssey and that it was free for a while on the store because of him