Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

BrianWilly posted:

They what now?

The Batgirls back-up in The Next Batman portrays them as bitter exes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hmm, I don't think it does...that. Steph calls her things like "babe" and "sweetheart" but it's done in a very snarky, upholding-her-inmate-image kind of way, and otherwise there's no real sexual vibes or anything. I can definitely see how intimate it comes across but like...the two of them have always kinda been that way :sweatdrop:.

It's not really something I'm ready to laud DC for...yet. I've been wrong about Future State already though, 'cuz all this grimdark exposition fucks with my reading comprehension something fierce.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean it's that and also Cass talking about "what they once shared" and how there was "something special between them" with no actual mention of friendship and I don't know about y'all but that's not usually how I talk about my platonic relationships

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Blockhouse posted:

I don't know about y'all but that's not usually how I talk about my platonic relationships

But have you considered thst it not being a heterosexual pair means that short of them literally saying "I, a gaybo, love you homosexually" means that they are obviously just friends and you need to stop reading such subtext into things?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I’d like to consider that but I’m also considering the part where DC are habitual cowards

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Homora Gaykemi posted:

"I, a gaybo, love you homosexually"
I only wish mainstream comics had writing this good :allears:

Alternatively, it's also not super great to always portray queer people as only being queer through covert, hush-hush-wink-wink ways, basically making them gay in every way other than just coming out and saying the word, which allows writers and companies to play coy about the matter when actually pressed.

I'm not saying that's what's happening here, and again I'm open to being wrong about the issue...but queerbaiting is not a new thing. Not always even an intentional thing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm just saying it would be very weird if Vita Ayala was queerbaiting though

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Didn't the both of them date Tim at different times?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Siegkrow posted:

Did they? It turns out they were poly, but feelings were hurt or tim is dead.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Siegkrow posted:

Cass has never dated Tim in any canon that I'm aware of

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And Tim is the Robin in Future State Robin Eternal (I think the girls are in that also?)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Blockhouse posted:

I'm just saying it would be very weird if Vita Ayala was queerbaiting though

I mean, it isn't like she doesn't have an editor.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Siegkrow posted:

What is... bisexual...?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

site posted:

What is... bisexual...?

A person who is sexually, although not necessarily romantically, attracted to both sexes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Now that you looked it up in the dictionary perhaps you will notice why your question is irrelevant

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Siegkrow posted:

A person who is sexually, although not necessarily romantically, attracted to both sexes.

Going to be pedantic here and add that any two sexes, including and beyond the binary, can count.

It's a wide umbrella.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Was Steph/Cass a big ship people were longing for? I had started reading comics after Cass' tenure as Batgirl, but from the few appearances I'd seen them interact, they never really seemed interested in each other.

(The only big ship I've been aware of in comics was a lot of people really wanted (and I suppose still want) Tim Drake and Superboy to gently caress)

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I'm just very surprised people want Steph with anyone else, like, I thought her relationship with Tim was one of those things a lot people see as sacrosanct.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

I'm just very surprised people want Steph with anyone else, like, I thought her relationship with Tim was one of those things a lot people see as sacrosanct.

This.

I assumed to bond stuff was about them being Batgirls and being Bat Fam. Not being exes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, most response I've seen has been in favour of them as besties, and not in the 'teehee' euphemism way.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I'm all about the Cass/Steph stuff, but I was really disappointed in the Batgirls story overall. Cass and Steph were pretty much just the characters in name only (Steph was basically Geoff Johns-era Rose Wilson wearing Steph's skin), and I really didn't want a miserable story where they were both antagonistic toward each other for the majority of a two-issue storyline. I'm hoping if they launch an actual Batgirls title it's not by this writer, or she does some more research into how the characters should act and sound.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

TwoPair posted:

Was Steph/Cass a big ship people were longing for? I had started reading comics after Cass' tenure as Batgirl, but from the few appearances I'd seen them interact, they never really seemed interested in each other.

(The only big ship I've been aware of in comics was a lot of people really wanted (and I suppose still want) Tim Drake and Superboy to gently caress)

Among fandom, absolutely. I'd say it's about as prolific as the Tim/Kon stuff if not more. There's hints of it through actual publication during Cass' Batgirl solo book. Steph is a frequent guest and partner and Cass' only real friend throughout. When Steph "dies," she appears as a ghost to reveal things Cass couldn't possibly have known - which is later retconned into an obsessive hallucination. An Future's End book also had them living together as Definitely Heterosexual Life Partners.

In New 52 their friendship isn't ever really brought up much, but just sort of assumed to be all off-panel like the Tim/Steph relationship is.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm also a little confused that Steph is here in turbo prison but she's also out and about in Tim's book, and I'm pretty sure Beast Boy is Cyborgified over in Teen Titans but I also saw him here, but then again I think he's also in Shazam this week, and now that I think about it, I'd been assuming that Wonder Woman (Diana) was sent off and stuck in the far future thanks to the finale of Death Metal which is why she hasn't appeared in any Future State books yet, but Immortal Wonder Woman suggests that she's actually just been around all this time and it's just that this book takes place way way later, so where is she now? Answer me DC Comics. Answer me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think (key word: think) the idea is the books aren't all taking place at the same time

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
There's actually a timeline in the back of the books, i think. But yeah, they're not concurrent. I think Dark Detective is the earliest and obviously Immortal Wonder Woman is the latest.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/lets-have-another-look-at-the-dc-future-state-timeline/

Gotham City Sirens and Catwoman sorta don't mix. I'd need to recheck Superman/Wonder Woman since it felt like that one took place before JL, but I might be misremembering.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Okay that timeline almost started to make sense but the whole point is that Batgirls and Robin Eternal can't take place in the same year because Steph was explicitly in prison for a whole year by the time of Batgirls. :sweatdrop:

I'm wait sorry what...there's a thirty-year gap between Justice League and Superman/Wonder Woman? Jon is...sixty years old at that point? At least? And Yara has to be at least fifty?

(I know the real answer to all this is they absolutely did not think of anything too much and no one told any other writer what they were actually doing, but I'm enjoying the comedy answer more)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's a loving mess throwing out all these books at once with different time periods and characters overlapping. That you need a timeline to try and keep things straight doesn't help. I don't care for much of any of these things and am glad it's just temporary instead of the status quo.

And yeah, I read Cass and Steph as being friends, not as exes. They worked together and Cass was hurt at the betrayal.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I forgot they're doing a Black Adam 1,000,000. Gonna have to try and cram that into the back of the DC 1,000,000 omnibus.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DC Universe updated to Infinite today. Only the website so far though, no app update, at least not on iOS.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Open Marriage Night posted:

I forgot they're doing a Black Adam 1,000,000. Gonna have to try and cram that into the back of the DC 1,000,000 omnibus.

Which book has a Black Adam story? I don't remember seeing that as a Future State title.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Pioneer42 posted:

Which book has a Black Adam story? I don't remember seeing that as a Future State title.

Is forthcoming probably as a backup to the Shazam book

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Does Impreius Lex have pointy ears and a wing motiff on his legs? If not, then what's the point of that name.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Shazam was weird, I want to give it a few more issues but it felt like they're trying to ape some parts of Miracle Man without understanding why it needed to be as hosed up as it was.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Imperious Lex is a surprise gem in next week's batch of Futures State books, but then I checked and saw it was written by Mark Russell and I just nodded sagely.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Does anyone know if the current Batman Black and White miniseries is using card stock for covers? Ideally the standard covers.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

frameset posted:

Does anyone know if the current Batman Black and White miniseries is using card stock for covers? Ideally the standard covers.

Yeah, every copy is in their prestige format.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, every copy is in their prestige format.

Thanks for answering. I plan on subscribing to both that and Superman Red and Blue, I think they'll look good in a wall display together.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The Other History of the DC Universe #2 was...kinda underwhelming? There was some racial nuance but it mostly paled in comparison with issue 1, and the rest of it just felt like a whole book of two characters going "Boy the Teen Titans were lovely. Man, they sure sucked. Those Titans, am I right? What a bunch of fuckers."

Which is like...yeah, absolutely true, but still. :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

The Other History of the DC Universe #2 was...kinda underwhelming? There was some racial nuance but it mostly paled in comparison with issue 1, and the rest of it just felt like a whole book of two characters going "Boy the Teen Titans were lovely. Man, they sure sucked. Those Titans, am I right? What a bunch of fuckers."

Which is like...yeah, absolutely true, but still. :sweatdrop:

Most of their major character history with with the Titans unfortunately which is why it took up so much. Idk why they couldn't have made up some new stuff to include on the super heroics side but :shrug:. The next one is gonna be Katana and the 80s, post-Crisis which will be interesting. Same with Montoya in the 90s and both of those characters got around a lot more.

Future State: Suicide Squad seems like an interesting set up but the execution seems poor. Black Adam is worse and a bit of dumping on DC One Million. Imperious Lex seems ripe for possible hijinks, but it's all been set up.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 27, 2021