Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

A Bystander posted:

Hello, I was told to post over here since I've started last weekend and I've been playing for about an hour and a half for the last and this most recent one, so for about 3 total. Things I've done so far to give an idea of where I'm at exploration-wise are land on the comet and figure out that it is most likely why the sun is exploding what with all the ghost matter, messed around in Brittle Hollow and got crushed by debris when trying to read a scroll (I got better), and managed to avoid the radius of the explosion and not die that way, but still was forced into a reset by the game, presumably because whatever force is behind the looping very much does not want me to leave.

I still have a few places I have not bothered going near because I want to at least fully explore the two planets I've been on until there's plain nothing I can do. As for why I'm doing things a weekend at a time, I'm actually streaming to show it off to a friend since he and I don't get to hang out in person all that much and we've limited time where our schedules do align.

Your ship computer will tell you when there's still things left to find on a given planet. That being said, I'd say best practice is that whenever you run into a roadblock that's giving you problems, just go explore somewhere else for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Hell yeah. Enjoy the ride, take your time, feel free to overthink things, and don't look anything up unless you're TOTALLY stumped.

And keep us posted, ofc.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, if you find yourself banging your head against a wall, don't feel afraid to head off and explore other planets and places, add more pieces to the puzzle, and share your experiences and your theories!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You'll learn rules and methods to get past certain blocks on other planets, you can't just dive in and solo every single thing on a single one right off the bat. It's designed well enough that it's not a whole frustrating 'search for the key to this thing and it could be anywhere', it's more about gaining general knowledge, but yeah, don't be too blinkered.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

A Bystander posted:

I still have a few places I have not bothered going near because I want to at least fully explore the two planets I've been on until there's plain nothing I can do. As for why I'm doing things a weekend at a time, I'm actually streaming to show it off to a friend since he and I don't get to hang out in person all that much and we've limited time where our schedules do align.

I want to draw attention to this line here in particular (it's possible you didn't mean it this way but just in case you did). It is not possible to explore entire planets and find everything just sticking to that entire planet. Their stories and hazards are not self-contained. I've seen other people waste a lot of treating each planet as a "level" in vain.

In short, many clues & solutions on how to solve blockades/puzzles/hazards on a planet are found on other planets, so if you get stuck JUST WALK OUT and go somewhere else for a while :)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I approached it as, every ~20 minutes you are nudged to go try something else. You don't have to repeatedly visit the same planet until you receive something that clearly indicates you will find something new there, or already have something in mind that you know you could have visited but didn't

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And if you're not sure what to do next and haven't got a particular pointer you're following, pull out the ol' signalscope.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

MikeJF posted:

You'll learn rules and methods to get past certain blocks on other planets, you can't just dive in and solo every single thing on a single one right off the bat.

You absolutely can, and I love that the game is well designed enough to make it possible - but it's certainly a lot easier if you don't and follow the breadcrumbs instead, hah.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The most important thing about being a space explorer for outer wilds ventures is to have fun

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

beep by grandpa posted:

The most important thing about being a space explorer for outer wilds ventures is to have fun

Yea, the energy and spirit the other Space Explorers bring is very much an inspiration.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

You absolutely can, and I love that the game is well designed enough to make it possible - but it's certainly a lot easier if you don't and follow the breadcrumbs instead, hah.

I mean, you can technically go straight to the end of the game if you know what to do. There are definitely obstacles/puzzles that would only be solvable by luck if you didn't have the clues from other planets.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I love how one person posts that he's playing for the first time and a dozen fans jump in with encouragement, this community is awesome.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

f#a# posted:

I love how one person posts that he's playing for the first time and a dozen fans jump in with encouragement, this community is awesome.

It's a completely selfish practice, to be honest. The game doesn't lend itself at all to multiple playthroughs, but it can be vicariously enjoyed indefinitely.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Devils Affricate posted:

It's a completely selfish practice, to be honest. The game doesn't lend itself at all to multiple playthroughs, but it can be vicariously enjoyed indefinitely.

Very well put, and also 100% correct.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Devils Affricate posted:

I mean, you can technically go straight to the end of the game if you know what to do. There are definitely obstacles/puzzles that would only be solvable by luck if you didn't have the clues from other planets.

There's even an achievement for this!

But yeah, it would be incredibly unlikely to think to try all the necessary counterintuitive/non-obvious tricks you have to use

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It is kind of funny how sometimes people end up skipping certain bits of the game entirely by accident, just because their brains are wired in that way that makes them automatically try all the counter-intuitive things for no reason.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

'Solving' Dark Bramble without information from other areas isn't really possible because you don't start with the escape beacon signal and would have to get lucky or brute force the right path but you could definitely solve both Ash Twin and Giants Deep without any knowledge from other planets just by observing and experimenting. Giants deep is just about noticing the one unusual tornado and then making the jellyfish connection, both of which are totally possible without being told or getting accidentally lucky. Experimenting with Ash Twin would warp you to other planets but you don't need any information from them to use the warps and nothing there tells you how to avoid the sand pillar anyway, so it's just case of noticing the timing.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Darox posted:

'Solving' Dark Bramble without information from other areas isn't really possible because you don't start with the escape beacon signal and would have to get lucky or brute force the right path but you could definitely solve both Ash Twin and Giants Deep without any knowledge from other planets just by observing and experimenting. Giants deep is just about noticing the one unusual tornado and then making the jellyfish connection, both of which are totally possible without being told or getting accidentally lucky. Experimenting with Ash Twin would warp you to other planets but you don't need any information from them to use the warps and nothing there tells you how to avoid the sand pillar anyway, so it's just case of noticing the timing.

I'd say Giant's Deep is the only one where you can kind of intuit your way through all of the secrets. Hell, even the downward tornado can be ignored if you just ram into the planet fast enough. You'd have to get lucky to figure out how the warp pads on Ash Twin work, though. Normally that's learned from using the White Hole Station, which you'd get to after falling into the black hole in Brittle Hollow.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Progress report today!

Notable things:
- I crashed my ship a minute in before realizing it was my DS4 having some dust interfering with the sticks. Took care of that.
- Went to Brittle Hollow to explore some more. Found out that the Nomai were there because of an escape pod (finally found the log lol) and that there are two other pods out there somewhere. I also found out there was some resource management issues with repairs for the Vessal since it bought the farm and that the Twin Ash Project was a big reason for that, still pending on how they sorted that one out before they all died.
- Additionally, did not beef the platforming to find the temporary settlement underneath the pod and saw the murals explaining that the cause was Dark Bramble? With this new information about it seemingly beating the Vessal to poo poo and having the weird seed on Timber Hearth, I'm starting to think something hosed is over there.
- The whole business about the Eye of the Universe and how it is seemingly older than everything ever and how it emitted a signal to bring the Nomai into the star system here in the first place. Could it really be here? Well, I'd love to find out if I could stop piloting my ship poorly!

Next time, I'm probably going to check out Giant's Deep, see how I can get my goofy rear end killed.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Piloting your ship poorly will not stop you from solving all the mysteries of the universe friend

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A Bystander posted:

I'm starting to think something hosed is over there.

Don't read this yet, A Bystander!

Dark Bramble was so unsettling just as a concept, especially with all the stuff I found pertaining to it BEFORE going there, that I made a point of avoiding it for quite some time so when I finally went there I'd feel somewhat more confident in how to handle myself... it didn't help, that place is still terrifying! :lol:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Not sure where else to put this but the thread where I first came into contact with Danish astrophysicist and LPer "About Oliver", who made his bones with an incredible Outer Wilds let's play, but I've watched like four full LPs of his now.

Guy's videos had like 200 views when he started, and now he's currently streaming to an audience of 400 folks on his first dive into Tunic, yet another game I absolutely fell in love with, and it's - once again - an absolute joy to watch him.

Of loving course he figured out an important game mechanic entirely by accident and vowed to try it out throughout the game after only an hour in, something that took me like 30 hours of playing and easily 4 hours of banging my head against a wall before looking it up online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zseFoZV-DxE

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Devils Affricate posted:

I'd say Giant's Deep is the only one where you can kind of intuit your way through all of the secrets. Hell, even the downward tornado can be ignored if you just ram into the planet fast enough. You'd have to get lucky to figure out how the warp pads on Ash Twin work, though. Normally that's learned from using the White Hole Station, which you'd get to after falling into the black hole in Brittle Hollow.

My first playthrough I did this. I knew I needed to get past the currents and just immediately thought 'OK why not fly to the other edge of the solar system and ram that fucker as hard as possible.' Kind of cool that it works.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

ThomasPaine posted:

My first playthrough I did this. I knew I needed to get past the currents and just immediately thought 'OK why not fly to the other edge of the solar system and ram that fucker as hard as possible.' Kind of cool that it works.

And gets you a cheevo!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Devils Affricate posted:

Are there?

I think pretty much all of it is discoverable with same planet observation and exploration. I have seen people get to the core of Giant's Deep and into the Ash Twin project now without actually discovering any of the "clues" for those places and just by farting around experimenting with poo poo and using the tools they have (I figured out the jellyfish without that hint, and it seems pretty common for observant folks to figure out the tornado once they realize getting below the surface is the goal), and those are probably the two hardest puzzles in the game. Finding the ship in Dark Bramble realistically requires you to find some sort of Nomai signal somewhere else first to get it into your signalscope, I suppose... but you could just substitute that with very boring normal investigation, as well.

The teleporter is imo the trickiest bits to figure out directly since half of them "don't work" and your experiments can return false nulls based on timing, I suppose, but I've yet to see anyone experiment with them for any length of time and NOT figure them out.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Of loving course he figured out an important game mechanic entirely by accident and vowed to try it out throughout the game after only an hour in, something that took me like 30 hours of playing and easily 4 hours of banging my head against a wall before looking it up online.

Oliver is a genius, held back only by has amazing lack of basic observational skills and his extremely poo poo memory and attention span.

I've seen the dude say 'I bet this is a secret', do the thing to reveal the secret, look at the secret flashing on his screen, and say "Oh, I guess that didn't work" followed by leaving and never returning. He also loves to state "Oh, I should absolutely do this and this, I bet this is how it works" in a way that is 100% correct, and then never actually do those things because he forgot... but he remembered thinking about them, so assumed he must have done them and failed.

He is one of the most awesome and frustrating streamers I've ever watched.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 21, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I wouldn't call the giant's deep core one of the hardest puzzles in the game. Getting through the current is pretty hard unless you're lucky/observant enough to find the entrance or think to do what ThomasPaine did. But once you're down there, there are very few things in the area and the ones that are are eyecatching and obviously Doing Something so it may not take a lot of thinking outside the box

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

What puzzles would you say are harder? But I do agree the first half of the puzzle is harder than the second (although I think the second is often harder than it should be even when you know the answer because it requires figuring out the tentacles on the inside are fake, despite many folks with real life experience expecting them to be the most dangerous bits)

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Are there?

I think pretty much all of it is discoverable with same planet observation and exploration. I have seen people get to the core of Giant's Deep and into the Ash Twin project now without actually discovering any of the "clues" for those places and just by farting around experimenting with poo poo and using the tools they have (I figured out the jellyfish without that hint, and it seems pretty common for observant folks to figure out the tornado once they realize getting below the surface is the goal), and those are probably the two hardest puzzles in the game. Finding the ship in Dark Bramble realistically requires you to find some sort of Nomai signal somewhere else first to get it into your signalscope, I suppose... but you could just substitute that with very boring normal investigation, as well.

The teleporter is imo the trickiest bits to figure out directly since half of them "don't work" and your experiments can return false nulls based on timing, I suppose, but I've yet to see anyone experiment with them for any length of time and NOT figure them out.

Dark Bramble is hardest, since you would need to intuit how to get past the anglerfish and also correctly guess which portals lead you somewhere.

The Black Hole Forge needs you to teleport there from Ash Twin, although technically you can probably finagle your way through it with very careful navigation.

I don't see how you'd get to the Quantum Moon without doing at least Giant's Deep first though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
There's no reason at all to go to the Black Hole Forge, though, on a "stumble upon the right path to the ending by accident" playthrough.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

GlyphGryph posted:

What puzzles would you say are harder? But I do agree the first half of the puzzle is harder than the second (although I think the second is often harder than it should be even when you know the answer because it requires figuring out the tentacles on the inside are fake, despite many folks with real life experience expecting them to be the most dangerous bits)

The things that were hardest for me:

Getting into the black hole forge

Getting to the sun station teleporter (I never figured this out and got to the sun station the hard way)

Navigating the quantum moon (also was never able to do this unassisted)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

Dark Bramble is hardest, since you would need to intuit how to get past the anglerfish and also correctly guess which portals lead you somewhere.

The Black Hole Forge needs you to teleport there from Ash Twin, although technically you can probably finagle your way through it with very careful navigation.

I don't see how you'd get to the Quantum Moon without doing at least Giant's Deep first though.

I actually reached quantum moon before doing the giant's deep temple! Quantum moon can absolutely be reached by following the same logic the Nomai did. I found the quantum stuff interesting from the get go and while experimenting figured out the rocks don't move when you have a photo of them - I think "what happens if I'm looking at this thing without looking at this thing?" is a pretty natural question to ask when trying to understand them. I didn't figure out the "being in the dark" bit, but I've seen other people do it just through thinking and experimentation too. And basically everyone would figure out out the north pole thing on their own given some time, I think, since it's kind of obvious.

I also landed at the black hole forge without going through Ash Twin, lol. I don't remember discovering anything useful there, though, so I often forget that's even supposed to be a puzzle. I think that's just an easier version of the ash twin teleporter puzzle, though.

I do agree Bramble is hardest without a signal, especially since experimenting there is miserable, but I think it does a better job at convincing you not to try to solve it than actually being difficult to solve.

What I really want to see is a "blind, no translator tool" run, though. Because that seems super doable while at the same time being frustratingly difficult.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 21, 2024

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I do like that, along these lines, the achievements are all things you have to go out of your way to do, or might only do by attempting to get somewhere the "wrong" way, or just do because you want to try something silly. Basically, none are given to you while just playing the game. I managed to get all the base game ones on PS4 and then when I opened the same save on PS5 the only one it gave me was the completed ship log one (though this one wasn't even easy to get first time round, I was pretty thorough but missed a log somewhere around the Gravity Cannon on Brittle Hollow.

As an aside, I've been re-trying to get onto the Sun Station the wrong way again. I have no idea how I did it before. I've come dangerously close several times but it's not something I can do reliably. Anyone who actually knows how to fly a spaceship able to tell me what the correct approach is, here?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TheDarkFlame posted:

Anyone who actually knows how to fly a spaceship able to tell me what the correct approach is, here?

It's hard to explain in just text, but it goes something like this:

1. Look at the sun and roll your ship until the sun station's orbit appears to be completely horizontal (this is not strictly necessary but makes everything else much, much easier)

2. Fly almost towards the sun, aimed a bit past its edge so you fly past it (pick the edge the sun station disappears behind)

3. While you fly past the sun, at your point of closest approach, slow yourself down until you get into a solar orbit. When you've done it right you will maintain roughly the same altitude over the sun while not touching the controls

4. Now you have to change your orbit to intercept the sun station. You do this by slowing yourself down slightly, which will make you slowly drift towards the sun while still orbiting it. Try to do this when the sun station is behind you and catching up, because as you drift down you will speed up, ideally so that you reach the same speed as it at about the same time as you reach the same altitude as it

5. Once you get close enough to the station, you can abandon being in an orbit and try to close with it directly (but thrust carefully and in short bursts, because you are still in an orbit). It's not really possible to make the ship actually land on the sun station and come to a halt, but you can get close enough that you can bail out and use the jetpack to fly into the open airlock. If you screw up at this point you will almost certainly fall into the sun and die, but this was going to take a lot of tries anyway, so godspeed

Other things that make this easier: Lock onto the sun so you have a live altitude display. Look directly at the sun at all times because it's your point of reference and lets you see how well you orbit is doing. Install Kerbal Space Program and go through its orbital maneuvering tutorials

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

haveblue posted:

It's not really possible to make the ship actually land on the sun station and come to a halt, but you can get close enough that you can bail out and use the jetpack to fly into the open airlock.

Also, use The Button. If you use The Button well enough, you don't need to jetpack at all.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Outer Wilds: Look directly at the sun at all times

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Took a couple of weekends off cuz of other things, but I am back with more.

- First, I went to check out the twins and found Escape Pod the Second, and there was a lot of sand. Nightmare situation imo, but I got through it and found more writing from the Nomai about a Sun Station and how things could go drastically wrong if they didn't get it right. I figure the comet ties into this in some fashion, but I'll have to deal with that later.

- Immediately after finding this out, I also stumbled on the gravity cannon and recalled the Nomai ship what was on the comet. Read the logs and felt awful and then, in my infinite genius, I took off with the ship and did not crash into the sun! Because it was one of the other planets instead.

- From there, I thought, "Well, I can't keep putting off exploring Giant's Deep. Gotta knuckle down." And then I saw a red dot on the map and then I immediately blew off my original goal because of course I did. It was the satellite that's mapping the solar system and it was my first experience moving outside of the ship in space intentionally (the black hole business does not count here, to me). Having finally dealt with it, I moved on.

- As I approached Giant's Deep, I found the wreckage of what looks an awful like the cannon from earlier today and there was a gravity lift I could have used to peep what's inside, but with the way the planet was moving and how the wreckage was also moving, I didn't want to risk it. I know, I could just come back, but still. Perhaps I'll get over it next time

- When I got onto Giant's Deep, I encountered two major things. First is it seems like neither the ship nor the scouts can sink into the water. Dunno if that applies to me, not keen on finding out until I have to. Second is more immediate: why are there twisters, man, what the gently caress

Will come back next weekend with more of my findings. Game's got me by the neck.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I know that at this point it is so trite to react to posts about peoples’ first playthroughs with :allears:, but,

:allears:

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

A Bystander posted:

- When I got onto Giant's Deep, I encountered two major things. First is it seems like neither the ship nor the scouts can sink into the water. Dunno if that applies to me, not keen on finding out until I have to. Second is more immediate: why are there twisters, man, what the gently caress

Really, in light of the hairy ball theorem, the question is why none of the other planets have twisters.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A Bystander posted:

- As I approached Giant's Deep, I found the wreckage of what looks an awful like the cannon from earlier today and there was a gravity lift I could have used to peep what's inside, but with the way the planet was moving and how the wreckage was also moving, I didn't want to risk it. I know, I could just come back, but still. Perhaps I'll get over it next time

Do you know how to sync up and auto-match velocity and orbits? It would've been one of the things they teach you in the zero-g cave tutorial but it's easy to forget things from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Do you know how to sync up and auto-match velocity and orbits? It would've been one of the things they teach you in the zero-g cave tutorial but it's easy to forget things from there.

I did and it keeps desyncing. I think it may be at the angle I'm coming from, but I'll figure it out when I come back next weekend