Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Burns posted:

Played a few games of rankef. How am i to reliably damage a sinop using the KGV?

Queue in a different ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Aramoro posted:

Been on a bit of a boat break, are submarines in yet?

They are tomorrow. The submarine event starts tomorrow, and it's a pretty sure bet they'll be added to random battles in 0.9.5 or 0.9.6 if they want to really pretend they're listening to our feedback.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So far I've been having a great time with IJN BBs and USN CAs. The New Orleans is proving to be more challenging to use than the Pensacola because I'm having a harder time gaming the spotting mechanics with speed to shoot undetected on open waters. I still need to learn how to use the ship with islands for maximum effect.
In the meantime I'd like to open a DD line but I want to use a DD line that is useful and fun to play.

I thought it would be fun to play a torp ship but the ship before Fubuki was a 1:1 suicide ship and with the short range of the Fubuki at stock torps I have no idea what to do.

Currently I'm looking at Soviet and USN DDs. Which ones would be best and what are the pros and cons? Should I try maybe British DDs instead?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Islands are for cowards.

(I just found my stats page. It's me--I'm the bad pubbie: https://na.wows-numbers.com/player/1006839667,Minenfeld1/)

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Kraftwerk posted:

So far I've been having a great time with IJN BBs and USN CAs. The New Orleans is proving to be more challenging to use than the Pensacola because I'm having a harder time gaming the spotting mechanics with speed to shoot undetected on open waters. I still need to learn how to use the ship with islands for maximum effect.
In the meantime I'd like to open a DD line but I want to use a DD line that is useful and fun to play.

I thought it would be fun to play a torp ship but the ship before Fubuki was a 1:1 suicide ship and with the short range of the Fubuki at stock torps I have no idea what to do.

Currently I'm looking at Soviet and USN DDs. Which ones would be best and what are the pros and cons? Should I try maybe British DDs instead?

Soviet dds tend to be gunboats. With the exception of Ognevoi they excel at long range fire and are usually less stealthy. Playing them well is more about setting fires and harassing flanks than contesting caps. These will punish you for bad play, since they can easily overcommit and die if you play badly.

US dds tend to be hybrids. The guns are high DPM but slow ballistics make shooting dds tough outside of point blank. Smoke is extremely long lasting but has a long reload. Mahan and Fletcher are really good, Benson is okay, and Gearing is fine but kind of boring. These are pretty standard dds, solid without being overpowered, and work well for the most part.

French dds are bad before tier 7, after which they become serviceable then great. Pure speed and gunboat, with bizarrely good AP penetration at tier 9/10. These are worse than Russian dds for punishing bad play, you need to move in, activate your gun reload booster, kill a dd, then bail for a few minutes. No smoke means you will be harassed by planes with no recourse.

German dds are ostensibly about smoke/hydro. Cap control and hybrid guns/torps. A lot of goons hate them, they’re certainly not the highest anything, but maybe because they reward cautious play I do well with them. Not recommended as a first tree at all.

IJN gunboat dds are great after the Akizuki. Shiratsuyu is a torp boat that’s very stealthy, it’s decent enough. Harugumo isn’t a ship I like but the Kitakaze is silly good.

IJN torp boats are generally good as well. Akatsuki is a hybrid gun/torp boat, and is solid, while Kagero is an archetypical torp boat - stealthy, with good gun alpha and torps that are too detectable. Same with Yugumo and Shima.

British dds have fantastic utility, with rapid smoke, good to great guns, and short range torps at low tier. They become good at tier 7, and the Jutland and Daring are fantastic.

Euro dds have no smoke, good to amazing AA, and fast low damage torps. These are a higher skill class too, since you will lose gun fights to other dds and can’t smoke to disengage. Excellent if you play well though.

Velius fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 26, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Velius posted:

Euro dds have no smoke, good to amazing AA, and fast low damage torps. These are a higher skill class too, since you will lose gun fights to other dds and can't smoke to disengage. Excellent if you play well though.

At high tiers they no longer lose gun fights to other DD's. Halland can go toe to toe with almost any other DD except the Daring, Småland and Harugumo (e: and Marceau), and if allowed to disengage it'll win the next engagement. It's got only very slightly less base HE DPM than the Daring and the Gearing with an 8% base fire chance. You don't spec it for guns though but the heal goes a long way towards compensating for that (you lose vs the Daring mainly because he'll be gun specced while also having a heal, even though it's not as good as yours). Östergötland and Öland aren't bad DD duelists for their respective tiers either.

I really, really like the Halland - it's very consistent and a ton of fun to play. The guns are hard to use against anything other than DD's because of the short range and lack of smoke, but they should be used whenever possible because they're really really strong.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 26, 2020

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

TheFluff posted:

At high tiers they no longer lose gun fights to other DD's. Halland can go toe to toe with almost any other DD except the Daring, Småland and Harugumo (e: and Marceau), and if allowed to disengage it'll win the next engagement. It's got only very slightly less base HE DPM than the Daring and the Gearing with an 8% base fire chance. You don't spec it for guns though but the heal goes a long way towards compensating for that (you lose vs the Daring mainly because he'll be gun specced while also having a heal, even though it's not as good as yours). Östergötland and Öland aren't bad DD duelists for their respective tiers either.

I really, really like the Halland - it's very consistent and a ton of fun to play. The guns are hard to use against anything other than DD's because of the short range and lack of smoke, but they should be used whenever possible because they're really really strong.

It's really high skill floor though, because it's big and clumsy and has no smoke and it's slow as gently caress and it turns like poo poo so it can't disengage. It's great when you can isolate lone DDs into 1v1s but if they have literally anything bigger shooting at you then you're about to take a massive turd to the face.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

toadee posted:

It's really high skill floor though, because it's big and clumsy and has no smoke and it's slow as gently caress and it turns like poo poo so it can't disengage. It's great when you can isolate lone DDs into 1v1s but if they have literally anything bigger shooting at you then you're about to take a massive turd to the face.

Yeah, I agree on the skill floor being pretty high.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

TheFluff posted:

why tho

Like, sure, the Königsberg and Nürnberg are both good, but once you get to 20cm guns I really don't see why I'd want to play these things over anything else. There's just nothing they do better than any other line, other than maybe do direct HE damage vs some very specific ships. The AP DPM is good on paper but it's incredibly situational, and the tankiness is questionable at best.

You're underrating how good they are at just doing damage. Hipper has less DPM than a Kagero because it sucks, but everything else is pretty good. The German cruisers have some of the higher damage output for cruisers that can play at range.
Reload Hindenburg (especially with the coal captain) has about the same HE output as legendary Henri with pre nerf IFHE, even including reload boost. Obviously the Henri has other strengths and it can burst damage things with reload boost AP, but that really isn't a bad spot at all for a kiting ship.

also the Yorck is a free tier 7 Alaska, recommended

NTRabbit posted:

Who is showing broadsides? They have hugely better main guns, better armour, more hp, a much better damage con, the secondaries don't matter. Soviet battleships are the supreme short range battleships right now.

Soviet battleships are not particularly good at close range against another battleship. The raised citadel with unexceptional armor (yes Kremlin has a 410 mm sloped citadel that can bounce low pen BBs at range, but so does Yamato, Republique has something like 700 mm of effective armor on the broadside before angling) is a serious weakness. If the FDG just drives at a bow in Soyuz it'll eventually get a broadside shot and kill it, and the Soyuz won't do much in return because high tier BBs that aren't British or Yamato take ages to kill a bow in BB.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 26, 2020

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

James Garfield posted:

also the Yorck is a free tier 7 Alaska, recommended

Bwah?

It doesn't have radar, or 6 guns up front, or good AP pen angles. How exactly are they comparable?

Yorck is a fine HE spammer with some nice AP with the downside that it turns faster than its turrets traverse (unlike the Algerie which I preferred far better), but it's no beast like the Alaska.

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 26, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
yorck vs t9 matchmaking.mp4

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

thanks, i hate it

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Blindeye posted:

Bwah?

It doesn't have radar, or 6 guns up front, or good AP pen angles. How exactly are they comparable?

Yorck is a fine HE spammer with some nice AP with the downside that it turns faster than its turrets traverse (unlike the Algerie which I preferred far better), but it's no beast like the Alaska.

Obviously the Alaska does some things better since it's both two tiers higher, and it's a USN premium ship which are known for always being perfectly balanced. Yorck has similar gameplay in that you start the game HE spamming at range while looking for opportunities to dev strike broadsiding cruisers or yolo a battleship (albeit you torp it instead of citadeling it). They even both overmatch bottom tier cruisers when they get top tier matchmaking, and overmatch British cruisers at equal and lower tier.

It's very strong at tier 7.

I mean dying when an overpowered ship two four tiers higher makes it its mission to shoot you for two minutes and you don't attempt to dodge or get unspotted isn't really an indictment of the Yorck.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 27, 2020

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

My computer has made it abundantly clear that it no longer wishes me to play WoWs.

(dead power supply. actually went "pop")

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Just a reminder, run Det flags on just about everything. My poor Des Moines.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

How do you restock flags?

Anyway thanks to thread advice I opted for the British DD line and I'll get British CVs too. I'm really excited.

I have been playing my New Orleans all evening and its amazing how much better things are for more. I got confederate and 100k damage in one of my games. The trick was to camp islands and shoot things that get into my field of view while staying hidden. I also fought at closer rangers and aimed for citadel hits. It was very effective.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Anyway thanks to thread advice I opted for the British DD line and I'll get British CVs too. I'm really excited.

I have been playing my New Orleans all evening and its amazing how much better things are for more. I got confederate and 100k damage in one of my games. The trick was to camp islands and shoot things that get into my field of view while staying hidden. I also fought at closer rangers and aimed for citadel hits. It was very effective.

British DD line is... interesting. I personally never found the lack of speed booster to be a problem, but that's me. IMO they otherwise have no real weaknesses as long as you play them somewhat conservatively. The sonar makes you nearly immune to torpedo attacks, the smoke screen's short cooldown gives you way "get out of jail free' cards to play, and the line has good guns and good torpedoes.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Worst DD/most cursed DD gets worse every time.

Tier 9 game: I'm top XP, we lose because every BB forms a single ball of 5 ships hitting into each other and not spotting/shooting anything.

Next game:

I bail on a cap when an Oland (which outspots me) a Nurnberg with hydro up, and a KGV slinging HE rush me. I then watch our CV rush into them and he's saying he was too busy to notice but it was our fault. We lost 2 more ships shortly after this screenshot.

gently caress the Skane. gently caress tier 7 MM.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Missing Name posted:

My computer has made it abundantly clear that it no longer wishes me to play WoWs.

(dead power supply. actually went "pop")

Strangely enough I am also not playing because my power supply broke. Maybe the computers are trying to save everyone's sanity.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Submarine thoughts based on a couple of games.

As a battleship? No fun at all. You can't really do anything to submarines, so just loving dooooooooodge motherfucker. Except of course you can't because homing torps are more agile than most T6 BBs.

Cruisers? The same thing, except you're more agile so you can dodge, but unless you're one of the few cruisers with an ASW package, they're just a detriment to your game.

Destroyers? Well, they can't really do a whole hell of a lot to you, but trying to rush down and depth charge a submarine is just loving suicide. You're lit up for a long time, and even if you probably will kill the sub, every surface ship within firing range will be blasting you all the way in and out, and you'll probably die too.

In the games I played the submarines didn't really do a whole hell of a lot because unsurprisingly people don't know how to play them yet, but so far they don't seem like a good addition to the game. In two of my games I managed to blast both of the enemy team's destroyers within the first couple of minutes in my T-61, after which the enemy team was pretty much poo poo out of luck as far as our submarines went.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Kraftwerk posted:

The problem with det flags is that the only in battle way to earn them is to not use them. Otherwise you have to rely on crates or spending the one time event tokens on them if they give you the option.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Kraftwerk posted:

You can buy flags for credits in the armory (the ones with combat effects, at any rate). Always run detonation flags on DD's, it's just a tax for playing them. It's an incredible stupid mechanic but here we are. It's 2M credits for a stack of 20 detonation flags so about 100k credits per game, but you get coupons for signals for free all the time so remember to use those.

British CV's are really bad, don't play them. If you have to play CV's (please don't though) the American ones are probably the best, followed by the Japanese.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 27, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I drove my Vasteras over some subs and pressed G and they died. It was sort of satisfying but I don't see what the gently caress you would do, as a team, if all your destroyers were dead and the other team still has a sub. Keep it spotted and wait for it to surface? Is there a mechanic forcing them to surface at intervals?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
15 planes shot down and 25 depth charge hits, I really feel like I'm a good nuisance remover. It's nice to have another number to make big.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

WoWS went a it weird, signed in yesterday and got the Welcome back 3 days of premium and then signed in today and got another Welcome back 3 days. Guess they're really glad to have me back.

Also the Surrey is still bad.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

TheFluff posted:

You can buy flags for credits in the armory (the ones with combat effects, at any rate). Always run detonation flags on DD's, it's just a tax for playing them. It's an incredible stupid mechanic but here we are. It's 2M credits for a stack of 20 detonation flags so about 100k credits per game, but you get coupons for signals for free all the time so remember to use those.

British CV's are really bad, don't play them. If you have to play CV's (please don't though) the American ones are probably the best, followed by the Japanese.

Are CVs just something you personally hate having to deal with as a player so you want less of them out there? Or is it because CVs are a uniquely un-fun experience or they add little value to the team?

On another note, I just destroyed a sub with my fubuki. It's really satisfying to play a destroyer with its intended purpose.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

Are CVs just something you personally hate having to deal with as a player so you want less of them out there? Or is it because CVs are a uniquely un-fun experience or they add little value to the team?

It's the latter, though the issue is actually that they add too MUCH value to the team - or rather they accomplish way too much with basically zero risk. The actual CV will almost never be caught if they're decent, and AA was effectively nerfed into a minigame for the CV players, so if they're coming after you there's basically nothing you can do about it but pray they're bad and manage to fail the minigame badly enough to not do too much damage. Oh, and even if you DO catch the CV, they get unique damage control mechanics against fire/flooding that effectively make them take far less damage than anyone else and if it's T10 they've also all got armored flight decks which mean even BB AP shells just skip off the decks and most HE shatters so you need to hit the hull... which is probably currently sailing away from you so it's a narrow profile. Oh, and they still get to control their current squadron for a while even if their ship sinks.

Like, it remains seriously impressive that they actually made CVs worse for the game with the rework.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Were rocket planes always in the game? Like I dont remember them when I was first playing and now i've come back my first 3 minutes in a destroyer is playing hide from the rocketeers.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

Were rocket planes always in the game? Like I dont remember them when I was first playing and now i've come back my first 3 minutes in a destroyer is playing hide from the rocketeers.

They weren't, they came in with the CV rework and they are the worst.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

General Battuta posted:

Yeah, they're generally really effective against anything except Russian battleships and are super-accurate. If they didn't exist the cv-dd interaction would be way less hosed.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I feel like adding submarines while there are so many power-crept ship lines and the current cv/dd interaction feels so bad isn't a great idea. Are they just going with "The old lady who swallowed a fly" strategy? or is this kind of how the company works in general? I never played much tanks/planes, but it seemed like in the early days they used to at least give lip service to balancing the existing lines.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

General Battuta posted:

I drove my Vasteras over some subs and pressed G and they died. It was sort of satisfying but I don't see what the gently caress you would do, as a team, if all your destroyers were dead and the other team still has a sub. Keep it spotted and wait for it to surface? Is there a mechanic forcing them to surface at intervals?

They have to surface eventually.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
If they keep them to dedicated "submarine battles" its fine with me honestly.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

You know they won't.

They didn't spend a year+ developing them to shove them into a side mode.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

General Battuta posted:

Yeah gently caress those things. At least with torp drops and dive bombers you have a chance at dodging them. Rocket planes are a minimum of 1000 damage, usually more. I think i've been missed by a rocket plane maybe twice since i started playing again.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Stanley Pain posted:

They have to surface eventually.

I don't believe they do. At least in PT they could recharge batteries while submerged

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Kraftwerk posted:

CV's are fundamentally a terrible game design. I do play them occasionally and they are sorta fun to play but they're a horrible part of the game and I don't think they are fixable. They should never have been added and the rework just made their problems even worse than they already were.

There are two main problems with them.

First, they have no interaction with other ship classes. Playing CV is basically playing a PvE game. You play a flak dodging minigame against the computer that's barely even a game at all once you figure out how the computer aims the flak bubbles, and then you play a bomb/torp/rocket aiming minigame, and if you succeed at the minigame you do damage. There is absolutely nothing meaningful the targeted ship can do to counterplay this, they just sit there and take damage. The only ships with functional AA defenses are the European DD's that have air detection ranges so short that they sorta have to be spotted first to be strikeable, but if they are spotted even those ships can do nothing other than sit there and take damage. The other CV can't counterplay you either because fighter planes are completely meaningless as counterplay. As a CV you get to farm free damage on anybody you like all game long and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Second, the mere presence of a CV in the match severely restricts the ways in which every other ship can be played. One of the most important skill mechanics in WoWS is using line of sight blockers (like islands and smoke) and concealment to get various advantages. With a CV in the game a lot of the opportunities for doing this fly out the window because even if the CV isn't going for you or even anyone particularly close you, you'll be planespotted anyway a lot of the time. When I'm playing the Hakuryu I tend to rack up at least 100k spotting damage per game without even trying at all. You can't predict when you'll be planespotted either because the planes can show up basically anywhere on the map with very little warning. Since CV's also strongly discourage ships from going off alone (and many ships rely on a flanking playstyle to succeed), CV matches tend to have a lot less interesting gameplay since teams tend to blob up.

Basically they're terribly unfun to play against and make for a horrible metagame. gently caress CV's.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

Fair enough. I hosed around in the Hermes a bit and I don’t understand how the mini games work so I kept losing planes every time I tried to torpedo a New York etc. I don’t especially enjoy it.
The lameness is the CVs is why I decided to run US heavy cruisers in the first place so that my AA can at least keep planes off me. It was decent in the Pensacola but the New Orleans lacks range to do much until they’re right on top of me. I’ll be looking forward to that legendary AA I keep hearing about on the Baltimore and Des Moines.

In the meantime I’m struggling with how to use torpedos in my DDs. I had this one amazing game as an acasta where some battleships got into the islands and I used their spotting cover to get like 100k dmg from landing all the torpedo hits. Otherwise I’m not so lucky. Most engagements are at open sea distances so I’m shadowing their BBs and cruisers outside of detection range because if I get close they’ll delete me. Usually I wait for some kind of opportunity like the cruisers getting destroyed and then trying to torpedo the BBS but they’re good at dodging.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Subs are boooooooring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

the only reason world of warships is still here is because nobody has bothered to make a better game