Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
Is it odd that I'm not really surprised about who the first murder victim is?

... Unless this is some sort of fake-out and he's just wounded and not dead. This IS Dangan after all, but that's probably pretty unlikely. End of chapter and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

slowbeef posted:

Also, your posts should not just solely be on the order of Togami-san, no!

:siren: Reposting for new page :siren:

edit: Come on, seriously. You need to add more than just that you're sad the character is gone.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh.

That's not what I wanted. Not what I wanted at all. drat :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Huh, I'm kinda surprised that they didn't have to break down the bathroom door and find a body there personally.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Night-vision goggles? He was going to take someone out himself, that treacherous bastard.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
The irony in Ibuki's Pinocchio-nose sprite appearing after saying her nose is useless is delicious.

Also it was getting to be fairly obvious Togami would bite it, so to see it finally happen is... sort of relieving, I guess? Although that knife probably should have been in the duralumin case, so that's something to think about during the next part.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Huh, I'm kinda surprised that they didn't have to break down the bathroom door and find a body there personally.

Seconding this. I was pretty sure they were gonna find Kuzuryuu stabbed in the bathroom. I guess two chapter-one bathroom stabbings in a row is kind of repetitive for this series, though! There's clearly SOMEthing going on in there, though. Coach N needs to just knock the drat door already and be done with it.

The weapon appears to be a kitchen knife. Guess they missed one.

e:

C-Euro posted:

Night-vision goggles? He was going to take someone out himself, that treacherous bastard.

Eh, those are basically a second murder weapon anyway; I'm pretty sure the killer left those under there for the same reason they left the knife there. Without any fingerprinting capability, it's better to leave your tools at the scene of the crime than be caught with them later.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Oronen: did you miss a {music stops} sometime when he went outside to check on gamer girl's testimony in there or why did you queue up despair syndrome twice in a row?

I need to know exactly which sentence has been singled out for emphasis!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
So... Peko and Kurzuyuu are still unaccounted for, and we still have the mystery of the locked bathroom door. And are those night-vision goggles next to Togami? Interesting...

Kobold posted:

Is it odd that I'm not really surprised about who the first murder victim is?

Well, it's not terribly surprising - the guy was setting off death flags left and right, after all.

I mean, he actually said in the previous update "I'll tell you more about my secret past later", which is a pretty drat big tipoff.

slowbeef posted:

Also, your posts should not just solely be on the order of Togami-san, no!

... I have no idea what this means :confused:

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

slowbeef posted:

I was so, so worried everyone would go on and on about the dumb fanservice shot, but now we have a real deal murder on our hands.

Now I can reveal my strategy: I put both Mikan scenes at the very beginning of updates with a final shocking screenshot in the hope people will forget about them by the time the twist happens. I was only partly successful the first time.

Edit:

Krinkle posted:

orenronen: did you miss a {music stops} sometime when he went outside to check on gamer girl's testimony in there or why did you queue up despair syndrome twice in a row?

One's "despair syndrome" and the other's "despair-syndrome". They share the same melody, but they're different tracks. The naming scheme is the fault of whoever named the tracks in English on the copy of the soundtrack I was using for the first game.

orenronen fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 20, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hmm. While we did have Togami say "What are you doing?" (or something to that effect) during the blackout, we didn't hear any sounds of fighting or grunts or screams of pain, so... what's going on? Just an oversight? I wouldn't think so. And who could have dragged his fat rear end over under the table?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

loquacius posted:

Eh, those are basically a second murder weapon anyway; I'm pretty sure the killer left those under there for the same reason they left the knife there. Without any fingerprinting capability, it's better to leave your tools at the scene of the crime than be caught with them later.

I like to think that this will be like the first murder in the first game, where the victim had their own plans for killing that ended up backfiring on them. But that would be too easy to see coming, right?

AF902
Feb 18, 2013
We should have known it would be him. Goddammit, I'm still reeling.

Are those night vision goggles by his hand? The green stuff behind him and on the knife handle also stand out a bit.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Terper posted:

And who could have dragged his fat rear end over under the table?

There doesn't appear to be any bloodstains around the outside (at least, that can be seen.) Maybe he was murdered directly underneath the table?

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
I remember that in the first LP oren said that this game subverts many common game/mystery cliches... I guess that killing one of the most important characters first is ONe way to subvert the hell out of these kind of games.

gently caress I love this LP.

Also, were those nightvision googles?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Well
I guess it's not a prequel, then. Unless he's faking. Anyway, I think Kuzuryu did it. He's the only guy who has no alibi, and with him being built like a baby slicing someone's throat in the darkness sounds like the only gangsterlike way to murder someone.

E: gently caress this poo poo I accidentally saw a spoiler.

ANIME MONSTROSITY fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 20, 2013

Kobold
Jan 22, 2008

Centuries of knowledge ingrained into my brain,
and this STILL makes no sense.
I just noticed something. There's a bit of green streamer or something underneath the table, and some green on the knife. I'm guessing that it was used to conceal the weapon under the table... which doesn't look good for a certain individual that was setting everything up for the party.

And, it should be noted that a skewer was missing in the sweep of the kitchen... so the murder weapon might not be the kitchen knife.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Monomi's sudden case of ellipses outside with Nanami strikes me as odd. Either her controller was distracted by something, or Nanami hit her with one of those "this statement is false" type AI attacks.

Or Nanami's vacant staring is contagious.

\/\/\/ Guess you read my mind there.

Anoia fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 20, 2013

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
:stare:

That... wow. That just looks messy.

Wait a second...

orenronen posted:

...Maybe he's in there and we keep missing him.

...Maybe.

...Has nobody else found this a bit suspicious? Like, I know Chiaki has an awkward way of talking, but Monomi kind of seems to be... acting like her kind of? At least during that scene. I don't know if it's just out of worry that Monomi has contracted ellipses-itis or something else but it just seems off.

Edit: and right as I post that, someone else did. Welp.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

V!ntar posted:

I remember that in the first LP oren said that this game subverts many common game/mystery cliches... I guess that killing one of the most important characters first is ONe way to subvert the hell out of these kind of games.

gently caress I love this LP.

Also, were those nightvision googles?

The last thing Togami said to us was "if no murders happen I guess I'll HAVE to tell you everything" him surviving would have been the subversion.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Finally, somebody died! :woop:

Since there can only be one fat man in an anime ever, I'm guessing fat boy killed Togami under Highlander rules. Made some bacon off his back.

Also, I'm starting to like how meta the Dancer is.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

DaveWoo posted:

... I have no idea what this means :confused:

It means if your post only consists of "I'm sad Togami died!" and that's it, then it's low content. Pre-emptive strike.

Kobold posted:

I just noticed something. There's a bit of green streamer or something underneath the table, and some green on the knife. I'm guessing that it was used to conceal the weapon under the table... which doesn't look good for a certain individual that was setting everything up for the party.

There's no sort of trick where night vision can't see green, is there? No, that's ridiculous.

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011
I've been wondering about the floorboards for a while now, and since yesterday's update where the locked bathroom was mentioned I've been thinking of a theory. I didn't think much of it at first, but now that the bathroom being locked looks more important I thought I'd go back to it quickly.

The floorboards are so old that potentially they could be lifted up and then put down without it being obvious. Somebody could climb underneath them and crawl from one part of the lodge to another.

So... what if somebody's locked them self in the bathroom to do just that?

Here's my rough theory of events, which probably has a bunch of holes in it.

Pekoyama lifts up the floorboards in the office, and also in the bathroom, creating a tunnel. She flips the power switch, attacks when the lights are out then runs back and switches them back on before going back through the secret passage. You see, it couldn't have been her because she was in the bathroom the entire time!

(Edited to fix spelling and wording.)

Catastrophics fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 20, 2013

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
At last, a murder has happened. Let the game begin!

Ok, so after the blackout:

Togami... is our first victim (and we all knew how many death flags he set), found under a big table in the main hall. A knife and what looks to be night vision goggles lie next to his body.

Hinata, Mahiru, Komaeda, Nevermind, Gundam, Nidai, Mika, Ibuki, Hiyori (that's her name, yes?) and Souda were in the main hall when the lights came on again.

Hanamura didn't appear with the others after the blackout, at least until Hinata returned to the main hall. He was probably in the kitchen or something, or I neglected to look properly.

Someone has been using the toilet for a long time.

Nanami was outside, probably talking with Monomi, Pekoyama (who was supposed to stand guard at the office) and Kuzuryuu's whereabouts are unknown, and Monobear did not appear at any point.

That should be all.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Yay, a death!

I hope that Nidai busts through the bathroom door and no one's there. I'm a bit surprised he hadn't already done that.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

slowbeef posted:

There's no sort of trick where night vision can't see green, is there? No, that's ridiculous.

This would perhaps be the most "obvious to even an American" homage these games have done so far. In any case, I think that the mystery of who is taking such a long poo poo is far more compelling than figuring out who murdered Togami. What kind of lunch did they eat that the toilet needed to be occupied for so long?

Pekoyama looks very suspicious to me, but I doubt she is the killer on the basis of having possibly the least character development of anyone so far. We barely know anything about her, whereas in DR1 both the killer and the killed were pretty well-established by the first murder. In a game with so much exposition, Pekoyama has been remarkably anonymous.

MUTEkI
Oct 12, 2012
What a shame. He was a good man.
Also that's one hell of a trip on the part of Mikan -- they're trying way too hard.

Night vision goggles. Likely a really easy prompt is going to be "but how did the killer manage to see in the dark?" and the answer would, of course, be those. Interesting question would be if the way the bands are set fits the head of anyone in particular there.

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza
Poor guy. I figured he'd be the first to go, but still, after DR1, it sucks that he had to go out like this. We'll miss you, you magnificent douchebag. :golfclap:

With that out of the way, where the hell is Peko? If she's the murderer, she's made it way too obvious, but I wonder if she caught sight of somebody and went chasing after. Or she's dead in the bathroom. :ohdear:

Given the state of the body, it sure looks like Togami was planning on doing some night-hunting, if we're to assume he was the one who set up the knife and goggles. I would wager that somebody's been sneaking around under the crawlspace and ganked him with the skewer. So many questions, though!

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
So all that talk about saving everyone and being a noble leader ended up meaning nothing, either Togami really was going to draw blood or someone arranged it to look that way. Either way this means there's a trial incoming which also means we're about to lose another character, it finally begins.

Also what did Souda mean when he said "search me," did he have something else aside from the wrench on him or was he just being cheeky? I was going to mention the knife and connect it to the kitchen knife count but realizing it was Togami doing the counting it's natural he'd skip the last knife. Then there's something green on the knife handle and some part of the table cloth, what could be green that would cause those stains? Well, the incoming investigation should clear this all up, I'm hoping Togami didn't actually have murderous intent because if he did and the act prior to all of this was part of it, I must say it's quite stupid and almost predictable as others have already mentioned, unfitting for the genius heir of the Togami name. :colbert:

edit: As someone mentioned above, the floorboards trap door idea sounds promising, quite some fuss was made about the floorboards and bathroom and I think it makes sense to link the two.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 20, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Are you making GBS threads me? That cliffhanger again? (That fanservice is so NOT.) Ha ha oh god the bottle spilling stuff too. what the christ.

Could it be that Kyruzuu's corpse has been in the toilet the whole time? That's got to be important. Not to mention the missing Peko. If she didn't leave, where is she?

Togami's death wasn't surprising. Usually someone who dies is heavily featured in a chapter, and well, that was Togami. The Night vision goggles explains what was in his secret case at least... Hmmm... that seems like more than a coincidence that he was prepared for that. Did he turn the lights out on purpose to see if anyone would try to make a move?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

C-Euro posted:

Not necessarily if the person who said "Oy, what are you doing?! Stop it!!" Was Togami It sounds like he could see in the dark and tried to stop something. Which he clearly failed at.

Edited to make the post make more sense.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Feb 20, 2013

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

orenronen posted:

Now I can reveal my strategy: I put both Mikan scenes at the very beginning of updates with a final shocking screenshot in the hope people will forget about them by the time the twist happens. I was only partly successful the first time.

Are there any more of those stupid fanservice shots? They don't really add anything and I think they're not really appropriate considering the atmosphere they're trying to build. I hope this is the last one, but whatever.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
I kind of liked Togami, but A MURDER! YES! Screw Togami, we got a murder and that's what matters.

This is a pretty interesting murder so far. I think the most important thing to keep an eye on is whether the murder was premeditated or not. The circumstances kind of make it seem like it wasn't planned ahead of time what with the power outage and all. They couldn't really have known it was gonna happen, so they had to have planned on the fly. But deciding to murder someone on the fly like that plus getting a weapon despite Togami's best efforts seems unlikely. But if it was planned, then Nagito would be pretty suspicious considering how he's the one who was there ahead of time to clean up the place.

C-Euro posted:

But that would mean that Togami, equipped with night vision goggles, somehow not only failed to kill his intended target(who couldn't see a drat thing at the time) but also got his weapon stolen by his intended victim and was killed by him. It doesn't sound very likely that Togami was out to kill anybody at all.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not necessarily if the person who said "Oy, what are you doing?! Stop it!!" Was Togami it's likely he brought the night vision goggles to try and stop a murder attempt in the dark. Because if this is him he could clearly see. However from how this turned out he failed.

That would require Togami being either insanely paranoid and just happening to have the right gadget to fight off this particular murder attempt or he saw it coming somehow. I think it's too early for a conclusion like that.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
[redacted]

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 18, 2014

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Kobold posted:

... Unless this is some sort of fake-out and he's just wounded and not dead. This IS Dangan after all, but that's probably pretty unlikely. End of chapter and all that.
I wish people would stop saying that like it means something. You can only play with expectations if you have an inkling what the player is expecting. Considering the state of the game as it is, I can't imagine that the designers have any idea what people expect anymore. Sure, they can throw curves out and make a wild ride, but they can't break expectations just because they're expected. That requires knowing what's expected.

I think we finally have the answer to why Iwari has the completely wrong body for a gymnast. She wasn't a gymnast in the first place, she's a hunter.

Seriously, smelling blood? She's coming off as more dog than human. I'll accept it as long as the game keeps throwing in those eating sprites, though.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I am guessing that the reason that there is no blood trail was because Togami went under the table himself to investigate it. I wonder what it was he saw, though. And I agree with the person who said the knife was probably taped to the underside of the table.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Wait, weren't there night-vision goggles at the supermarket back in the prologue, because I think that's where whoever brought them, probably Togami, got them from. Also, I'm going to guess that Monomi's controller is in the locked restroom, and that whole line about not using the lodge was to protect their indentity.

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

Wow, I didn't expect Togami to be the first to go. I expected to see him give into despair as he found himself incapable of keeping the others from killing each other.

These are the questions I'm asking myself right now:

1) Who (or what) is in the bathroom?

2) Where's Peko? (I'm actually going to guess that she's the person in the bathroom)

3) What is that green strip of material that's hanging over Togami's body?

4) Was Togami actually planning to kill someone and got killed instead (like in DR1)?

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

HoneyBoy posted:

Also what did Souda mean when he said "search me," did he have something else aside from the wrench on him or was he just being cheeky?

It's a figure of speech, basically means "I have no earthly idea".

Sherringford posted:

But that would mean that Togami, equipped with night vision goggles, somehow not only failed to kill his intended target(who couldn't see a drat thing at the time) but also got his weapon stolen by his intended victim and was killed by him. It doesn't sound very likely that Togami was out to kill anybody at all.

Actually, that bright green tape might be the key here. Suppose somebody's been crawling around under the floorboards, hoping to stab somebody with a skewer they grabbed from the kitchen. Suddenly, they notice a bright green piece of tape underneath one of the tables, and holy poo poo, there's a knife and some goggles! So all they had to do was wait there for somebody to try and retrieve them, then bam, free kill. Our murderer is a loving camper.

Still doesn't explain everything, but I think it's pretty plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

What bothers me is there wasn't a gratuitous motive offered. Togami was killed, first, because why? He knew too much is the meta reason. He'd give the plot away is the meta reason he had to die first. What is the in game motive? Nobody was threatened with anything besides getting shot by howitzers if they tried to island hop or tear down trees. Why kill Togami, specifically? Monobear, or whoever is controlling monobear, has the motive and if it's a mole, who specifically took out Togami for knowing too much, they're going to get punished the first round so that makes terrible motivation.

Whoever did the killing needed barely any push at all.

• Locked thread