Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Elentor posted:

I have an important question for you guys:

What was your favorite update, and why?

Or, in lieu of that (or you can answer both):

What aspects of the LP do you enjoy?

I try to keep things informative, sometimes do whacky editing, etc. Some updates are straightforward either because of the pacing of the writing or because there's nothing too exciting going on.

Thought this would be a nice time to ask for feedback on this. You know, 44 Chapters in.

I think the Midgar updates have been my favorite so far, which also links into what I really enjoy about the LP; your informative style is very cool, especially when dealing with mechanics, but the comparisons to Rio were awesome, too. It makes Midgar seem even more alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Elentor posted:

I try to keep things informative, sometimes do whacky editing, etc. Some updates are straightforward either because of the pacing of the writing or because there's nothing too exciting going on.

Thought this would be a nice time to ask for feedback on this. You know, 44 Chapters in.

I like the goofy boss art you draw on the little scorecards telling me how bullshit or not-bullshit a boss is.

Seriously.

They're great.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Breaking the game in half with a sledgehammer is incredibly entertaining. Also, chatting about Rio towards the beginning was great.

Goofy boss art is also fantastic.

BreakTargets
Apr 5, 2009

Just a random Spiral Knight...

Elentor posted:

I liked the pictures that you put at the end of the update. Also, the "golden text box" when a funny line comes up.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Elentor posted:

I like the discussion of game mechanics. Everyone knows the plot and characters of this game, but there's lots of things you pointed out about the mechanics that are new and interesting. I had no idea the powersoul works the way it does, and I had no clue that beta was so goddamn overpowered and makes such a mockery of everyone opposing cloud & co (i knew about the menu exchange thing though).

I'm not suggesting shying away from the story, but if you wanted to explain the game mechanics you find interesting in a bit more detail then it's fine with me.

Also, multiple boss battle videos where you completely make chumps of them using different gimmicks are great fun, since there are so many bosses in this game and they're all so interchangeable.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

My favorite parts of the LP are watching the boss fights get brutally trivialized via knowledge of mechanics of the game, definitely. A close second would be the gold boxes and boss nametags.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Elentor posted:

My favorite update was probably the initial update after meeting Aeris. It got me to think about the character in an altogether different way, and despite having played FF7 multiple times since the first time back in 1998, somehow I managed to trick myself with the "Tifa is tough girl who punches people, Aeris is delicate waif who needs to be protected" thing.

In fact, a friend of our family named their daughter Aeris (after the game) and all I could think of was to make jokes about (major spoiler), not anything having to do with her actual character traits. It's easier to reconsider character misconceptions when you're not spamming the x button past all the dialogue you've seen 10 times but never actually read.

I also like seeing the various bosses get totally destroyed, having mostly stuck to "Hit with Cloud, shoot with Barrett, use ability of whatever other character was in the party at the time" and having found the game reasonably difficult at the time. Showing multiple ways to defeat and trivialize any given boss (Well, you can chuck a Phoenix Down at it to instakill it, but if you Stop it and use Bio instead...) is a big bonus.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Yeah, the reflections on what the Internet forgot about FFVII are what make this LP essential. I also really like the videos and the discussion of game mechanics and item effects that aren't ever mentioned by the game.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Having played the game multiple times in the past I still enjoy the most about the spoilerless-ness of the LP.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Christmas Jones posted:

Has there been an optional character in any Final Fantasy since seven? It was kind of a neat bonus, but it seems they shied away from that later on.

No. Then again, 6 was the only other main FF with optional characters.

I love all the comparisons between how characters are portrayed in the EU/viewed in general and how they actually are in the game. I love how you make the bosses your bitch and show off all sorts of fun mechanics that people never even think about, like the attack items.

I say just keep doing what you're doing. It's always best to go with what you're most comfortable doing, and I'm sure people are still going to love it even when we get to the end three years from now.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Elentor posted:

There isn't anything I dislike or would remove from the LP. Finding out all the little known secrets was great though but a few updates ago we passed the farthest point I'd ever been to so it's all new to me now.

Wrecking bosses is great too. I'd like it if you explained some of the "how to break the game" combos if you haven't done already (other than the Enemy Skill way, as you've said there is loads of ways yet I never found the game difficult but I never broke the game either).

Mr Right fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 8, 2012

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
I really enjoy the boss battles as well. If i were to request something, it might be to show off some insane materia combos, but that might not be until later when you get more of the fun materias.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
If I may request something, when the time comes, could you add videos for those few obnoxiously long spell/summon animations, please? If for nothing else, then just to see the comments of those who haven't seen them before.

I mean, it's still surreal to think of the first time I was trying to beat the final boss of the game (which succeeded on that same try :smug:). When a certain spell was cast for the second time I put down the PSX controller, walked into the kitchen out of sight of the TV, grabbed a yoghurt, ate it calmly, walked back and still had to wait for the cast to finish.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
I like the good balance between game and commentary. When you do say something, it's usually pretty interesting (all the stuff about Rio, FF7 characters vs. compilation characters, mechanicschat) but you also give the game room to shine and don't try to cram a paragraph in after every screenshot just to say something.

Also diving into the stuff that a lot of players probably missed out on (I didn't know that both Tifa and Aeris have unique dialogue in Gongaga) is cool.

There are a lot of times that I only barely skim your text between the screenshots because it doesn't add much or just restates what we just saw, and they aren't, like ruining the LP or anything, but also aren't much improving it.

The one thing I really don't like is when you break up interesting paragraphs into sentences between screenshots. It's hard to follow both at once, so if an informative bit doesn't need to be interspersed with gameplay, give me some gameplay and then the whole paragraph so that I can process the game and then process what you have to tell me. Rio-chat was good but I might have enjoyed it more if you showed me Midgar for awhile and then showed me Rio for awhile and let them each sink in before moving on. I'm very interested in both topics but trying to follow them both at once is a bit much for me.

There's a balance in good/serious LPs that I imagine is really hard to strike, and I think that this LP has been doing a pretty good job of it so far. I'd prefer if I could appreciate both the great game and the excellent commentary better, an I think I might if more distinct blocks of time were given to each.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Elentor posted:

If you're asking here what can be changed/improved, I'd suggest to just keep rolling with what you're doing now. :cheers:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Mindblast posted:

If you're asking here what can be changed/improved, I'd suggest to just keep rolling with what you're doing now. :cheers:

This. I don't have any complaints with your style, and I couldn't point to something I preferred over the other. I know that isn't really what you want to hear, but a good LP is a good LP, you know? :)

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Fun fact about the Wutai sidequest. You can do it on disc 2 as well which changes a few things (most noticeably cutting down what a slog it is to get to the drat village)

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
All of it? More seriously, I like how this game reminds me just how much I used to love this game as a kid. The boss fights are cool too, I guess...

Oh, and I also rather liked the asides about Rio; it's always cool when you learn something new from an LP.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Elentor posted:

I don't have a preferred update, so what do I enjoy? Well, I usually play through FF7 once every year or two, so this is kind of that, the yearly revisit you could say. I like your anecdotes, but I prefer when it is less whacky, because I like comparing notes on what you think about any particular scene.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Medieval Medic posted:

I don't have a preferred update, so what do I enjoy? Well, I usually play through FF7 once every year or two, so this is kind of that, the yearly revisit you could say. I like your anecdotes, but I prefer when it is less whacky, because I like comparing notes on what you think about any particular scene.

Echoing others, I like this for these reasons and the depth of knowledge you have that you share in things like the Beta and Powersoul "exploiting". It's like you're doing one of those "perfect game" walkthroughs for me where I get to see everything but don't have to spend 100+ hours doing it :v:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

The one thing I really don't like is when you break up interesting paragraphs into sentences between screenshots. It's hard to follow both at once, so if an informative bit doesn't need to be interspersed with gameplay, give me some gameplay and then the whole paragraph so that I can process the game and then process what you have to tell me. Rio-chat was good but I might have enjoyed it more if you showed me Midgar for awhile and then showed me Rio for awhile and let them each sink in before moving on. I'm very interested in both topics but trying to follow them both at once is a bit much for me.

There's a balance in good/serious LPs that I imagine is really hard to strike, and I think that this LP has been doing a pretty good job of it so far. I'd prefer if I could appreciate both the great game and the excellent commentary better, an I think I might if more distinct blocks of time were given to each.

I agree with this. I'd also like to process both points separately.

Otherwise, my favorite part is the mechanicschat. I love hearing about what things do and learning new ways to exploit them. Explanations on the characters and their personalities are also fun.

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
Another vote for the informative style. It works really well here because FF7 is both:
-written well enough to be funny on its own without naming every character BUTTS or having some alternate story and dialogue written over it
-complex enough that you have a lot to say about the game mechanics, the secrets, and the major and minor points of the story people don't notice.

I really liked the Rio information too, it's always great to get some extra perspective on something that has parallels to the game being LP'ed, like The White Dragon's Hawaii stories in the FFIX LP. I'd love to read more of these, if the opportunity arises.

Also more end-of-update terrible FF7 cosplay photos.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
This is easily one of the best LPs I've read, for several reasons:
* You put a lot of work and love into this. Goldening the choice quotes, creating the boss cards, giving us inside information, finding out hidden dialogs. I particularly love your treatment of bosses, with the card, and then, "This is how it normally is. NOW WE SMASH IT." And, even better, "NOW WE SMASH IT WITHOUT TOUCHING BUTTON."
* The anecdotes about Rio vs Midgar were really interesting.
* I couldn't pick a single favorite update, too many to choose from. They're all golden.
* I haven't played this in about ten years, so thanks to you I too have waken up from the shared delusion that Aeris was a waif and Tifa was the punk. And the Turks are so much more awesome than I remember.
* "Look at dat sword. Just look at it." For some reason, these lines crack me up the most. Because, sheesh, that arsenal in Wutai was insane.
* Your voice is unreal. In a good way. If a velvet painting of a dragon could talk, it would have your voice.

MC Jigsaw
Aug 1, 2008

Monocles are the staple eyewear of villainy.

Elentor posted:

P-P-P-POWERSOUL!

Seriously, as much as I love pretty much everything about this LP, there's nothing more gratifying than seeing you break the game in half, especially when it involves bosses that were notorious for giving you trouble as a kid or any situation that is preceded by a disproportional amount of plot tension.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
I like the humor, both understated, and overt. I enjoy the allusions to problems in the real world that makes you look at the game in a different light. I enjoy the way you make every boss your bitch within the mechanics of the game. Honestly, I enjoy the lp because you take something like FF7 and make it interesting again. After all the fan crap that has gone on, and the damages the EU has done to it, it is fun to see the original game in a way that has us reading the text again, rather then just spamming the x button to get through it. I guess that I enjoy it because you play it differently then I do. So I get to see a different perspective. Which in the end, is what I watch most LP's for.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I literally think the only way this LP could be made better would be by updating more often. Except that might lead to lower quality updates, which would not be an improvement.

So basically just keep doing what you're doing.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
My advice would be not to listen to a single negative thing said about this LP.

Shine on, Elentor.

:patriot:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Yeah I like what this LP is doing just fine. No changes.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
All I have to say is that all the stuff you been doing is great so don't change anything.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Don't read anybody's comments and just go with your instincts because this has been awesome.

PS please quit your job and post every day, thanks

The Copper Kaiser
Sep 6, 2010

I am a high-iq mentally retarded adult, and bring to bear on intellectual pursuits the demonic energy that characterizes my species!
I can't add much more to what earlier posters have said, this is just a genuinely, allround good lp! You have managed to capture some of that magic that made the younger awkard teen me love this game so much, a feeling the internet (and square themselves) has managed to erode over the years.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I can only agree with everyone else. There is absolutely nothing about this LP I don't like.

That said, my favourite thing is probably when you go into detail about the game. Mechanics, plot, comparisons to the real world, they're all great. There's nothing wrong with the more lighthearted bits either, but the detailed, clearly thought out and researched bits are where this LP really shines.

Also I remember once seeing your picture on Awful Yearbook, and hearing your voice was kind of a shock. Not a bad thing, just unexpected.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Woebin posted:

Also I remember once seeing your picture on Awful Yearbook, and hearing your voice was kind of a shock. Not a bad thing, just unexpected.

The voice of a dragon and the appearence of...HOJO! :aaa:

I'd say just continue as you are, you're doing a good job and allowing the game to breathe, and showing things off, as well as being informative. So yeah, great work.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Overall, I gotta echo that you're doing an astounding job with this.

Just a very minor complaint: You're often saying that the random encounters in this area are brutal, annoying or something, but we rarely get to see them. Just irked me a little in the "trek to Wutai" segment just now, but also over the course of the LP. I love Final Fantasy monster designs and would like to see more :).

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
Everyone has pretty much said it, but I think the main thing is that you've managed to bring something back to such an overdone game, which is nice. I've been playing it for years and still noticing things that I didn't before. I'll be looking forward to whatever you LP next when you're done with 7.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

Just a very minor complaint: You're often saying that the random encounters in this area are brutal, annoying or something, but we rarely get to see them. Just irked me a little in the "trek to Wutai" segment just now, but also over the course of the LP. I love Final Fantasy monster designs and would like to see more :).
This is a good point. It'd be neat if we got to see each monster you encounter at least once, along with comments if there's anything particularly noteworthy about them. Not a crucial thing, but the only thing I can think of that'd inprove the LP even more at this point.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Christmas Jones posted:

Has there been an optional character in any Final Fantasy since seven? It was kind of a neat bonus, but it seems they shied away from that later on.

Aside from 6's ridiculously flexible final roster there aren't really any other Final Fantasy games with optional characters, before or since.

I'm trying to think of game series where optional premade characters is actually a consistent feature, but most of them are Western.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
As there becomes less of a noticeable disparity between pre-rendered CG cutscenes and in-game graphics, I'm hoping there'll be a return to optional characters. That Final Fantasy 6/Chrono Trigger/Final Fantasy 7/FF Tactics stretch all had them, and those were all fantastic games. COINCIDENCE?! I don't think so.

Rockdash
Jan 5, 2010
I thought Quina in FF9 was optional? Am I remembering wrong? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Rockdash posted:

I thought Quina in FF9 was optional? Am I remembering wrong? :confused:

You eventually wound up with Quina in your party. The optional part is getting him earlier than when the game finally throws him at you.

Not sure if that's big enough for spoilers. Is that big enough for spoilers?

• Locked thread