Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

just beat up a bandersnatch that was pretty far over my head, and that just further confirms to me that things being over your level isn't that important if they're slow. only enemies that have felt legit dangerous, even including some that have been literally twice my party's level, have been the really fast ones that hit you a lot in a row. like that rear end in a top hat cat (coeurl?) and the empire lady with the mask, who really hosed my day up before I got her down

Zaphod42 posted:

Too bad you never see them!

what do you mean? I've noticed the summon pop up a few times, tho I've only ever used it the once since it didn't seem particularly necessary the other times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
"Alright, I'mma pitch the tent." - Gladiolus

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

"Alright, I'mma pitch the tent." - Gladiolus

"Tiny, just like yours"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Wow, the ultima blade sure is a weapon that I have, in chapter 4. Maybe this was a mistake.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Uh, that's been true like a handful of times at best. Last time the story didn't blow was FF10 and 10-2.

Nah, there's a few rough ones (13 is my pet peeve, and 8 is a bad game that I still like but I know its bad) but I would honestly argue the story in most FF games is very compelling.

Half-Life was one of the first FPS I played that actually had a great story in-game and not just as an opening cutscene or story in the manual.

Meanwhile FF1-FF7 were all released before HL1. FF games were doing very intricate stories that most other games couldn't even touch. Other RPGs too, but the FFs generally compare pretty favorably with other RPGs I think.

Manatee Cannon posted:

what do you mean? I've noticed the summon pop up a few times, tho I've only ever used it the once since it didn't seem particularly necessary the other times

They only show up under certain conditions, most of which involve being very injured and/or having dead party members.

If you're doing lots of side quests and overleveled or good at the combat system or you've got some great gear, its possible to practically never see the summon prompt in the whole game.

Having to avoid playing well in order to do a cool thing is very frustrating :(

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 7, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've been fighting things 5-10 levels over my head a lot lately so that hasn't been a problem for me

DalaranJ posted:

Wow, the ultima blade sure is a weapon that I have, in chapter 4. Maybe this was a mistake.

how'd you do that?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Manatee Cannon posted:

how'd you do that?

It's the final upgrade of the Engine Blade apparently, so you just have to hunt down some obnoxiously obscure upgrade materials.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If it makes you feel better, it is the hardest fishing quest. Just be patient and only reel when there is no tension and the fish isn't near the edge of the zone because it will change directions soon and eat up your line durability.

Devil of Cygillan was a complete joke so get that rod first if you haven't.

Honestly, I'm just kinda burned out trying to get it so gonna put that one on pause. A solid 10 minutes of slowly reeling it in and every now and then it does a sudden jerk that eats a bit of durability and I'm just out before I even get it down near half.

Sorry Noct, you'll never get anywhere near Fishing 10 unless it's literally the last trophy I need for Platinum.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DalaranJ posted:

It's the final upgrade of the Engine Blade apparently, so you just have to hunt down some obnoxiously obscure upgrade materials.

o lol, that makes sense. I gotta get back to upgrading that thing

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I still don't think I've turned in a rusted bit. Maybe I have and I need to go check with Cid some time. :v:

E: tbf I'm still in chapter 3, not 4, and only play maybe an hour a day most of the time.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 7, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly, I'm just kinda burned out trying to get it so gonna put that one on pause. A solid 10 minutes of slowly reeling it in and every now and then it does a sudden jerk that eats a bit of durability and I'm just out before I even get it down near half.

Sorry Noct, you'll never get anywhere near Fishing 10 unless it's literally the last trophy I need for Platinum.

If this is one of your first introductions to the fishing minigame, the rest of it is not even remotely that hard. You can buy a better rod and reel and just brute-force 90% of the fish in the game even with weak lines. Pretty easy to hit rank 10 fishing (which is a trophy, iirc) without the frustration of the few difficult fish.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah, there's a few rough ones (13 is my pet peeve, and 8 is a bad game that I still like but I know its bad) but I would honestly argue the story in most FF games is very compelling.

Half-Life was one of the first FPS I played that actually had a great story in-game and not just as an opening cutscene or story in the manual.

now I'm sure of it, you have got to be on some kind of loving drugs

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
By Chapter 6 I'm feeling like all the story needs to feel better is more showing of events rather than being told "Thing happened" after the fact or by loading screen

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Legs Benedict posted:

now I'm sure of it, you have got to be on some kind of loving drugs

Did you play them for the compelling turn based strategy or do you just hate FF games?

Or are you saying the story in Quake was better than FF6?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Zaphod42 posted:

Did you play them for the compelling turn based strategy or do you just hate FF games?

no, but the first three games have dick for story, 4 is okay I guess, 5 is nice, I think 6 has aged poorly, 7/8/9 are all disasters narratively

i play final fantasy games because i have typically enjoyed their gameplay; good cohesive stories have not usually been a selling point for me because it's not something they have usually had.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Legs Benedict posted:

no, but the first three games have dick for story, 4 is okay I guess, 5 is nice, I think 6 has aged poorly, 7/8/9 are all disasters narratively

i play final fantasy games because i have typically enjoyed their gameplay; good cohesive stories have not usually been a selling point for me because it's not something they have usually had.

I'm curious why you'd say 7 or 9 are a 'narrative disaster.' Both games certainly have cohesive stories with at worst 7 having an incredibly lovely translation.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nina posted:

By Chapter 6 I'm feeling like all the story needs to feel better is more showing of events rather than being told "Thing happened" after the fact or by loading screen

Oh it gets worse. Also post-game dungeon spoilers Whoever decided this game needed a series of loving crazy jumping puzzles was out of their drat minds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

Oh it gets worse. Also post-game dungeon spoilers Whoever decided this game needed a series of loving crazy jumping puzzles was out of their drat minds.

People say they love that dungeon and I just don't get it. It's a cool concept but lovely jumping puzzles in an engine not designed for it in are not really very fun,

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I want to get more than one Ribbon but god drat the guy who exchanges coins for them in Altissia wants 40 :staredog:

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

I'm curious why you'd say 7 or 9 are a 'narrative disaster.' Both games certainly have cohesive stories with at worst 7 having an incredibly lovely translation.

i don't think either of them are cohesive at all, though 9 certainly is better than 7, but i think you and I have vastly differing opinions on a lot of these things based on your previous posts in the thread so I think it's probably a moot point to argue about.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zaphod42 posted:

The story in FFVI was fine, but the slow and lameass one-dimensional gameplay made it really hard to keep playing through. LIke I play these games because they have fun systems and characters, but aside from like VII and IX I have not been particularly gripped by an FF story.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
It's just like imagine if getting betrayed by the Empire and World of Ruin were offscreen events in FFVI. That story would feel terribly disappointing too. It's not a quality of an inherently bad story, just one that's poorly told.

I guess I just wanna feel emotional imvestment and have a reason to hate Niflheim but everything bad they do I never get to actually see.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Edit: Eh, nevermind, this conversation wouldn't go anywhere anyway.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 7, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Legs Benedict posted:

The first three games have simple but solid stories, actually. They're limited by the hardware, even games like Mother 1 were pretty primitive, but they showed some real promise and narrative for their time.

Look at wikipedia's summary of FF1's story:

quote:

The game begins with the appearance of the four youthful Light Warriors, the heroes of the story, who each carry one of the darkened Orbs. Initially, the Light Warriors have access to the Kingdom of Coneria and the ruined Temple of Fiends. After the Warriors rescue Princess Sara from the evil knight Garland, the King of Coneria builds a bridge that enables the Light Warriors' passage east to the town of Pravoka. There the Light Warriors liberate the town from Bikke and his band of pirates and acquire the pirates' ship for their own use. The Warriors now embark on a chain of delivery quests on the shores of the Aldi Sea. First, they retrieve a stolen crown from the Marsh Cave for a king in a ruined castle, who turns out to be the dark elf Astos. Defeating him gains them the Crystal Eye, which they return to the blind witch Matoya in exchange for a herb needed to awaken the Elf Prince cursed by Astos. The Elf Prince gives the Light Warriors the Mystic Key, which is capable of unlocking any door. The key unlocks a storage room in Coneria Castle which holds TNT. Nerrick, one of the Dwarves of the Cave of Dwarf/Dwarf Village, destroys a small isthmus using the TNT, connecting the Aldi Sea to the outside world.[5]
After visiting the near-ruined town of Melmond, the Light Warriors go to the Earth Cave to defeat a vampire and retrieve the Star Ruby, which gains passage to Sage Sarda's cave. With Sarda's Rod, the Warriors venture deeper into the Earth Cave and destroy the Earth Fiend, Lich. The Light Warriors then obtain a canoe and enter Gurgu Volcano and defeat the Fire Fiend, Kary. The Levistone from the nearby Ice Cave allows them to raise an airship to reach the northern continents. After they prove their courage by retrieving the Rat's Tail from the Castle of Ordeal, the King of the Dragons, Bahamut, promotes each Light Warrior. A kind gesture is repaid by a fairy, receiving special liquid that produces oxygen, and the Warriors use it to help defeat the Water Fiend, Kraken, in the Sunken Shrine. They also recover a Slab, which allows a linguist named Dr. Unne to teach them the Lefeinish language. The Lefeinish give the Light Warriors access to the Floating Castle that Tiamat, the Wind Fiend, has taken over.[5] With the Four Fiends defeated and the Orbs restored, a portal opens in the Temple of Fiends which takes them 2000 years into the past. There the Warriors discover that the Four Fiends sent Garland (now the archdemon Chaos) back in time and he sent the Fiends to the future to do so, creating a time loop by which he could live forever.[7] The Light Warriors defeat Chaos, thus ending the paradox, and return home. By ending the paradox, however, the Light Warriors have changed the future to one where their heroic deeds remain unknown outside of legend.[5]

Some of that you kinda have to read between the lines as you play the game, but it really is a solid fantasy adventure with heroes running around the world collecting magical macguffins to appease rulers and fight huge bosses to save the world.

Honestly other than the extremely cool moment-to-moment dialogue with the 4 core characters, FF1 may have a better cohesive narrative than FFXV does. I'm exaggerating but XV really fails hard on pacing and building things up and explaining them so there can be proper drama, instead things just happen and you're just like "oh, okay? we're doing this now?" and nothing has any impact.

Disagree on 6, 7 and 9 and we'll probably just not see eye to eye on that, different strokes for different folks but they're pretty complex and interesting and have strong and well developed themes.

E: Now I kinda want a remake of FF1 starring the 4 boyz from XV.
Gladio is Fighter, Ignis is Redmage, Prompto is theif, and Noct is... Hm.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

People say they love that dungeon and I just don't get it. It's a cool concept but lovely jumping puzzles in an engine not designed for it in are not really very fun,

I thought it was cool. A bit change of pace from a regular dungeon. Though the last few bits had me really trying to figure out where to jump. Thank god the checkpoints were well designed

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

hitting this stupid loving giant horse in the horn is so obnoxious jesus

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

air- posted:

I want to get more than one Ribbon but god drat the guy who exchanges coins for them in Altissia wants 40 :staredog:
I have like 50 coins now. Can i just use 40 of them to spend on the ribbon or do i want to use them on something else?

On a unrelated note. What's the most difficult boss in this game?
I've beaten the adamantoise and the lvl 110 samurai hunt i've just unlocked the menance dungeons

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Okay? What do you think isn't cohesive? This should be a pretty simple example and going "Oh, well, based off your posts you just wouldn't get it" just makes it sound like you don't actually have any argument.

ok fine i'll bite because i have nothing better to do right now, taking a break from FFXV after reading the upcoming update roadmap. i didn't mean to say that you wouldn't get my opinion btw, just that i think we are on opposite ends of the spectrum on this and sometimes i find that it's better to not have the debate. not trying to be an rear end. anyway,

I get that ff7 has a remarkable, All Time lovely translation and that hampers things in terms of it being coherent, but to me the only constant/coherent aspect of 7's story was Sephiroth; I don't think that a better translation could make the "is Cloud Cloud? Who is Zack? Did Cloud steal Zack's identity?" any better than the jumbled mess it already was, the weird poo poo with Hojo/Lucrecia/Vincent, character side/backstories that either don't have much impact or just come out of nowhere (Barrett). i thought it was a mess when it came out, despite being a lot of fun to play, and I don't think it has aged well.

FF9 just feels... reductive? and I say that as someone who loves FF9, but it feels like a game built on references, especially given the weird techno-futurism of 7 and 8. I lt has characters that I love and a lot of great moments, but it keeps returning to the same well of Queen Brahne's ambition over and over and you keep getting your dick smashed in a car door until the game takes that really hard swerve into Incomprehensible Bullshit Territory with the Gaia & Terra stuff and Garland, and that notoriously wtf final boss fight that comes out of no where.

i'm open to hearing your thoughts on the matter, I just don't think I have ever spoken to another human being who thought either game was terribly coherent so I'm a bit flabbergasted

Sefal posted:

I have like 50 coins now. Can i just use 40 of them to spend on the ribbon or do i want to use them on something else?

On a unrelated note. What's the most difficult boss in this game?
I've beaten the adamantoise and the lvl 110 samurai hunt i've just unlocked the menance dungeons

I don't know why you are spoiling the first part, but just do it. As for the second, I found Naglfar difficult only because he's lvl 120 and has a couple of attacks that do 9999 damage right off the bat. Not hard per se, just time consuming and required a bunch of curative items.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
LMAO

FFXV update roadmap: We intend to quickly patch Chapter 13's gameplay. To do that, we will increase the total damage significantly of the ring. As to the contents of the buffs, we will announce them on a later day.

Mid term: : We will focus on the narrative of the second half of the game, including increasing the experiences of the plot. For example, why did Ravus face that fate? We intend to add more event scenes for that. Since it will take some time to localize this and do voice acting, it is unfortunately a medium term goal.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is this the first game to try to fix its story through continual patching

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is this the first game to try to fix its story through continual patching

does mass effect 3 count

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

The first half of that dungeon is awesome and if it ended right after the Demon Wall it would be the best thing ever.

It doesn't, though.

It loving. Doesn't.

EDIT: I definitely want to see more poo poo like that in the inevitable sequel though. There's a lot of cool traversal mechanics that this engine lets them do, I don't mind them doing it. Just not in a six-hour long soul-crushing Hellraiser cube.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Get the sniper rifle.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Manatee Cannon posted:

Hitting it in the horn isn't my problem, I consistently break both horns using the hardedge, it just never drops.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

RC Cola posted:

What is this final Fantasy game comparable to? I'm debating buying it and am trying to avoid spoilers so I'm not reading about it online too much

Honestly, nothing that I've played. It melds a lot of disparate elements into an experience that is surprisingly unique. Or I should say, the aspects of the game that are compelling are unique because all the usual stuff you'd get in a game like this is half-baked.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Dec 7, 2016

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Aquasnake posted:

Hitting it in the horn isn't my problem, I consistently break both horns using the hardedge, it just never drops.

Mother and Child Rice Bowl helps so much for drops.

I also heard about a 100% item drop boost recipe and I've got all the ingredients, but not sure how to unlock it. Cooking is maxed out.

Papa Bird & Baby Bowl: Basilisk Breast, Birdbeast Egg and Saxham Rice.

HP boost (Level 20) - Increase max hp by 1000.
EXP Boost (Level 4) - Increase exp earned by 40%
Perception Boost (Level 10) - Increase enemy item drop rate by 100%

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is there no way to make playlists? I just wanna have every airship theme play, they're designed for cruising

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I started the game and did a quest and already feel lost. Would watching Kingsglaive make this feel any better?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

teacup posted:

I started the game and did a quest and already feel lost. Would watching Kingsglaive make this feel any better?

Yes and no. Don't sweat it, you should feel lost that early in. Just listen to all the background dialogue, talk to everybody, and go have fun. You'll start learning things as you play, much of the world building is actually done in incidental dialogue. Loading screens tell you stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

teacup posted:

kingsglaive is pretty much just about what happens in the city when it gets destroyed, so if that's what you're having problems with then yea it'll help

• Locked thread