Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hunt11 posted:

Mechanically it is a decent fight it is just that from a story perspective it just felt completely flat to me.

I've seen a lot of people say that but I thought it was a beautiful end to the series :shobon: Mechanically I thought the boss was amazing, visually amazing, the soundtrack is, and I hate using this word due to its overuse, epic as all heck and probably one of my favorites, and although it didn't exactly answer a lot of lore (something no one should have expected at this point) I thought the story was excellent and Gael a wonderfully tragic character.

Now that I've finally played Bloodborne, Ludwig is right up there in terms of the fight itself and the music though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Fought and beat 3 bosses in a row on my first try, got that souls-like intuition going atm. I can't help but feel though that parries are probably a bit too strong in this game. If they ever recreated the combat style or produced a sequel they should keep the timings tighter or rework the concept maybe? Visceral attacks are pretty cool, but they trivialize some encounters like Shadows or Logarius.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
There are plenty of ways to trivialize bosses and viscerals are just one more tool to the pile.

I dont like parrying in Souls because its too risky for my taste with little actual reward (you might as well r1 the monster to death) and you cant do it against anything that isnt strictly a dude wielding a weapon

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 6, 2018

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I'm thinking of trying a BoM run, since I've never used it before. Any tips for efficient use, besides pumping up SKL?

I guess the fastest way to get it would just be to bee-line to Crow Mom, and kill her?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

The Zombie Guy posted:

I'm thinking of trying a BoM run, since I've never used it before. Any tips for efficient use, besides pumping up SKL?

I guess the fastest way to get it would just be to bee-line to Crow Mom, and kill her?

theres a hacked chalice available for the BoM if you still want to do her story

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The Zombie Guy posted:

For some medium size enemies that move fast but can be stunned you may want another weapon. It will be your best choice for 80% of content though

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Desperate Character posted:

theres a hacked chalice available for the BoM if you still want to do her story

Might do that. But I also want those sweet Crow duds too...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Mechanically it is a decent fight it is just that from a story perspective it just felt completely flat to me.

DS3 is the only game in the franchise (aside from DeS obviously) that doesn't have an Artorias-esque figure built up in the base game that you fight in the DLC, they kinda tried to do it with Gael through Ashes of Ariandel but I agree it just doesn't work. I imagine if the scenario of the game hasn't been completely rejigged halfway through they could have set up their epic lore battle a little better?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

The Zombie Guy posted:

Also pump Stamina. The BoM shines when you spam the crap out of transformed R1s.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

multijoe posted:

DS3 is the only game in the franchise (aside from DeS obviously) that doesn't have an Artorias-esque figure built up in the base game that you fight in the DLC, they kinda tried to do it with Gael through Ashes of Ariandel but I agree it just doesn't work. I imagine if the scenario of the game hasn't been completely rejigged halfway through they could have set up their epic lore battle a little better?

That's the thing though, they did have a decent figure they could have used for the final battle as the last of the three dark sisters would have been a good choice and I would have liked to have dug into what their cult was really trying to achieve in much more detail. Instead we got a boss that only existed in the dlc and who I just couldn't care less about. What made the Bloodborne dlc work is that it felt heavily connected with the story and many lore figures taking central stage as boss fights. Even for Dark Souls 2 with the dlc being more heavily dependent on one another, it still felt connected to the game as it was building up on what was already in the game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
"Bloodletting beast is Ludwig and heres a lore dump to prove it"

"Ludwigs Holy Blade is the Moonlight greatsword"

Suprise you fuckers

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
every bloodborne dlc boss is an artorius analog. except for living failures of course

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It always feel weird to fight living failures, get to the lamp and then a few meters in, another bossfight, this time a good one at least.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

every bloodborne dlc boss is an artorius analog. except for living failures of course

that's the player analog

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Guillermus posted:

It always feel weird to fight living failures, get to the lamp and then a few meters in, another bossfight, this time a good one at least.

bonfire ahead and then bonfire ahead

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

wocobob posted:

bonfire ahead and then bonfire ahead

Yeah and I thought that the two bonfires within 50m on DS3 after fighting Dragonslayer Armour was kind of hilarious, now I see where they took the inspiration from.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Finally cleared The Old Hunters! Maria was a fun fight but too easily parry-able for me. Orphan was an absolute beast and I probably burned over two hundred blood vials and loved every second of it.

Laurence, that flaming pile of poo poo, can rot in hell.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
To no-one's surprise the very next day after getting stomped to death by the undead giant I roll right over him.

Then I rolled over pretty much everything else in my path until Rom. Took about 10 tries but just being patient and picking off the spiders did it in the end.

Currently at the part with the 3 hunter gangbang. From what I've read it's an unbelievably fair encounter and easily doable and not a part of the game that requires kiting and cheating at all. Hahaha.

Also gently caress the woods.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I killed Rom without killing any of those other spiders.

Also, lure those three hunters downstairs to the jail, lock the door behind you and kill them through the gates. Even then they can still hit you, so be careful.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
So I am the only one who enjoys Snake Woods, right? Hell, when I'm feeling bummed I go down the Valtr elevator and take a stroll through it, all the way to the ROM candle, to relax a bit.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Samuringa posted:

So I am the only one who enjoys Snake Woods, right? Hell, when I'm feeling bummed I go down the Valtr elevator and take a stroll through it, all the way to the ROM candle, to relax a bit.

Oh, Maaaajestic! A hunter is a hunter, even in a dream!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Samuringa posted:

my favorite level to just hang out in is hemwick charnel lane. really good enemy variety and maybe the best looking zone

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
I could live in Cainhurst.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'd like to hang out in the Nightmare of Mensis. Just sitting around, going nuts. No biggie.

I also felt like I cheated myself out of some gameplay there by rushing through Upper Cathedral Ward but them bell ladies rezzing dudes was too much for me to handle. For some reason that sets me real on edge.

Also because of that I figured the reborn fight (delightful boss) was a Gaping Dragon deal and just put up with the casters. Wasn't until after the fight I realised it was a Tower Knight deal and I should have wiped them out first. Oops.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Drunken Baker posted:

I'd like to hang out in the Nightmare of Mensis. Just sitting around, going nuts. No biggie.

I also felt like I cheated myself out of some gameplay there by rushing through Upper Cathedral Ward but them bell ladies rezzing dudes was too much for me to handle. For some reason that sets me real on edge.

Also because of that I figured the reborn fight (delightful boss) was a Gaping Dragon deal and just put up with the casters. Wasn't until after the fight I realised it was a Tower Knight deal and I should have wiped them out first. Oops.
Do you...do you think having a caster around in the Gaping Dragon fight is mandatory?

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Platypus Farm posted:

I could live in Cainhurst.

Yeah, well, it has that chilled, relaxing atmosphere, doesn't it?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Do you...do you think having a caster around in the Gaping Dragon fight is mandatory?

ya lol

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Simply Simon posted:

Ooh, no. What I meant was I thought those upper areas were connected to the level and not part of the boss arena and because I didn't fully explore the level I just pushed on through regardless.

Truth be told I thought it was part of the bosses moveset until a fireball clocked me when I ran away to heal.

Drunken Baker fucked around with this message at 13:00 on May 9, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Our eyes have yet to open

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Simply Simon posted:

lmao

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Drunken Baker posted:

Ooh, no. What I meant was I thought those upper areas were connected to the level and not part of the boss arena and because I didn't fully explore the level I just pushed on through regardless.

Truth be told I thought it was part of the bosses moveset until a fireball clocked me when I ran away to heal.

That's not the case. You can get up on the upper ring and back down via two staircases on the sides of the boss arena.

e: oops sorry misread your other post, disregard my unnecessary explanation

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

the instant i saw the one reborn intro i knew it was a tower knight deal and ran straight for the stairs

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzhxs2QsJRc

eddborne

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

new god of war comes with an option to flip the interact/dodge buttons so they are the same as bloodborne. well, this should be easy.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

new god of war comes with an option to flip the interact/dodge buttons so they are the same as bloodborne. well, this should be easy.

I should really look into re-mapping button layouts for new games I start, so I can take advantage of the dodge reflexes I've honed from DS/BB, instead of accidentally using an item.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The Zombie Guy posted:

I should really look into re-mapping button layouts for new games I start, so I can take advantage of the dodge reflexes I've honed from DS/BB, instead of accidentally using an item.

I was getting loving murdered in the game because I was pressing interact instead of dodge at the worst possible time. It was so annoying.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
How effective would the beast claws be if you just filled them up with fire gems?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Hunt11 posted:

How effective would the beast claws be if you just filled them up with fire gems?

IIRC you need to be doing physical damage for the beasthood effect to work. So not.

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
I got this as a PS+ freebie, and after sinking an hour into it, I don't think that this is the game for me. Combat feels difficult to the point of absurdity; I died around 20 times before giving up. I guess that enemies reappear when you die, which makes fighting feel very pointless given how often death occurs. Dodging appears to be the way in which the player is meant to avoid damage, but multiple enemies (and particularly enemies which are behind you) make dodging very hit-and-miss, and the consequence of getting hit is usually death. The game seems clinically averse to holding the player's hand, with virtually nothing to provide instruction for the game other than some easily-missed control mapping notes on the ground, and combat is so dangerous that trial-by-experimentation is impossible.

I respect that a lot of people seem to like it, and I'm sure that the game becomes more bearable if you are familiar with the controls. I don't have the patience to endure this kind of difficulty, and I'm glad that I didn't pay anything for the disappointment.

Thanks for reading my bad video games opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
ok