Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Namtab posted:

Uh he only did that because something something true yamato swordsmanship

You'd think so, but then in this episode he lost his temper and started insulting and threatening Erika. It is a clear pattern of behavior. If someone makes him angry, he responds with violence. That is a huge red flag. Heck, the guy tried to murder her in public when they were only casual acquaintances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
I regret clicking on this thread, the first episode was so bad and lame but now I'm gonna watch the rest for my twisted amusement because of all the spoilers I read here.
The OP is really good though

Will2Powa
Jul 22, 2009

HiveCommander posted:

Hey, most German historians say the holocaust was either not as bad as everyone says or they flat out deny it happening. Like you said, they've gotta save face. Can't be having people realise how evil they were during WWII.

wait, What? No, this is definitely not true at all.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Having already read most of the translated LN stuff, I can say that this whole thing is a wankfest. Terrible if you want something of substance, okay if all you want to do is fap at something, more specifically, GLORIOUS NIPPON and the terrible messages its media can produce at times (incest may sound fun and all, but the reality is you get backwoods hillbillies and health issues like hemophilia). Seriously, there's better places for fanservice or whatever un-ironic enjoyment you're getting out of this. The only reason you should be reading/watching this is to laugh at how hilariously bad it is. I know I got a good kick out of it. I'm surprised that the editors even allowed this garbage to be published, let alone made into manga/anime.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Did you like read any of the thread cause all we've been doing is taking the piss out of this dreck.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Namtab posted:

Did you like read any of the thread cause all we've been doing is taking the piss out of this dreck.

Well, that's all most folks have been doing. There's a couple of posters who've said they're unironically watching and enjoying it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
im watching darker than black for my soulless overpowered MC needs

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, that's all most folks have been doing. There's a couple of posters who've said they're unironically watching and enjoying it.

Everything has a niche.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

im watching darker than black for my soulless overpowered MC needs

I use Hellsing for that myself.

Man this show would be so much better if it was more like Hellsing. Alucard never has to loving explain how his powers work or why he's special.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, it is time again to plumb the depths the ln's go to. I had to dig around for a bit to find this scene, but I remembered it very clearly. Giant wall of text incoming.

"Mahouka" posted:

"It's Miyuki. Onii-sama, may I come in?"

Her voice barely reached inside the room, it was so quiet. Whatever her intent, it seemed she didn't want to disturb their housemate. Tatsuya likewise opened the door silently with this in mind.

His sister stood there resplendent, regally dressed with a touch of makeup. Her one-piece dress was a robe decollete of pale cherry, with plenty of lace and boldly exposing the chest and back. Her flowing black hair had been tied back, revealing her blemishless skin, and its complex combed out form shone against her pearly back. The skirt, which reached her ankles, comprised strips of cloth of different length, and the shape of her flawless legs peeked out from the thigh down. Her charm now was even greater than in the morning when she had awoken him, and he was lost in her beauty for an instant.

"Um, Onii-sama?"

Mknr v12 284.jpg

"Ah, sorry. Come in."

Tatsuya had been entranced by her momentarily. Dazed and blocking the entrance, at Miyuki's puzzled voice he came to and moved aside, letting her in.

Miyuki had not come empty handed. Her right hand held a bottle, a handbag dangled from her left elbow, and in her left hand were two glasses.

Seeing both her hands full, Tatsuya softly closed the door. Miyuki lightly bent her knees in thanks, then placed the bottle down side by side with the glasses on Tatsuya's desk.

"Is this Honoka's present?"

Miyuki spotted the pocket watch still on his desk.

"Yeah."

"It's a very elegant design isn't it?"

"It is."

Miyuki herself probably held no ill intent, but Tatsuya felt bad somehow, and stowed Honoka's present away in a drawer.

"So, what's all this?"

Retrieving a spare chair from the wall storage for Miyuki, then sitting down in front of the desk himself, Tatsuya glanced over the bottle and glasses. Miyuki moved her seat, a wheeled stool without a backrest, next to Tatsuya and sat a distance away, smiling shyly.

"Onii-sama, do you remember April 24th last year.......?"

"Of course."

Her question had absolutely nothing to do with his question, but it seemed that if he didn't answer this he wouldn't get an answer himself, so he thought back.

"You suddenly appeared in a kimono."

He had been stunned then as he was now by this dress — not that he said that aloud.

"Right, that happened too."

Miyuki murmured as she shifted herself out of sight slightly. She had been earnest back then, but looking back, it seemed even she was embarrassed.

"Uhm besides that......last year, Onii-sama, it was just the two of us."

"Yeah."

Just what Miyuki wanted to say, Tatsuya already knew by this stage. As he smiled with love, Miyuki also returned a clear smile.

"The year before, was celebrated with just us two as well."

"I remember."

"Minami-chan is with us this year, so we celebrated together but......"

Pausing, Miyuki looked down in embarrassment.

"In the end, I really......want some time alone too. For a little while, could we celebrate Onii-sama's birthday with just me......?"

Leaning forward in his chair, Tatsuya reached for Miyuki's face.

His hands brushed her cheek.

Miyuki's shoulders were trembling.

Gently held in Tatsuya's hands, Miyuki's head was brought up.

Their eyes met.

Miyuki's eyes were moist, and her face red.

Suddenly, she turned away.

To avoid her brother discovering the heat now emanating from her cheeks.

"Onii-sama, a toast?"

"Champagne?"

Tatsuya quietly lowered his hands, but his eyes remained firmly fixed on Miyuki.

"Yes, but it's alright. There's barely any alcohol in it."

"Ah, I'll open it."

Perhaps the cork was in tight; Tatsuya took the bottle from Miyuki's trembling fingers. Deftly removing the cork without sending it flying, he returned the bottle to his sister.

"Thank you......please go ahead."

She placed a half-filled glass in front of Tatsuya. Pouring into her own glass, Miyuki held it up with her right hand.

Tatsuya took hold of his glass with his left hand, and held it near Miyuki's.

A clear sound rang out.

"Onii-sama......happy birthday. I'm thankful that Onii-sama is with me."

"Thanks. I'm thankful that I could be your brother."

The two of them tilted their glasses at the same time.

On a side note, the present Miyuki had prepared was in the handbag. Within the box was a somewhat oversized locket pendant, exquisitely engraved with motifs of the sun, moon, and stars. A 3D photo of Miyuki in the dress she wore now had been placed inside. Earlier Miyuki had been regretting about 'letting Honoka take the initiative', but in these terms it seemed Miyuki was still in the lead.

—And Tatsuya, unable to fathom his sister's intentions, worried continually for over an hour.

So, that sure was a thing. I just c/p'ed the entire block, without choosing lines to make it seem worse. If you (wisely) prefer not to read that giant mass of bullshit, let me summarize. This is a scene where a sister tries to seduce her brother.
I have a few points. First, Tatsuya had a birthday party immediately prior to this scene. At that party, Miyuki was wearing her uniform. So, she dressed up and brought liquor specifically for a late-night rendezvous with her brother. Just look at that outfit.

Second, it seems to me that things were progressing in the obvious direction before Miyuki chickened out of having sexual intercourse with her blood-related brother. If this whole thing makes you feel uncomfortable, congratulations! You are not the target audience of this dreck.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
How do you people read prose this mangled?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

2000 years from now archeologists will uncover this light novel and it will basically be the next Beowulf

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

darkgray posted:

How do you people read prose this mangled?

Compared to other stuff I've read for the internet this is a cakewalk.

Like I've said before, it's hard to say how much of the mangled prose is the book and how much is the BT translator not knowing how to write well in English. The sentence structure is terrible and there's too many complex words where simpler ones will do.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Namtab posted:

Like I've said before, it's hard to say how much of the mangled prose is the book and how much is the BT translator not knowing how to write well in English. The sentence structure is terrible and there's too many complex words where simpler ones will do.

The original prose is fine. I mean, it's passable. Unremarkable. It's just dull because of the content.

That said, different cultures seem to appreciate different kinds of prose. Too many times I've finished a book and thought the writing was terrible, only to read Amazon reviews (from natives) praising it for its beauty. And whenever I do like it, they say it's awful. Go figure.

Or maybe it's just me. :(

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The problem is that she didn't get him a history book which had texts and images of famous massacres of the Chinese.

And my god the author cannot write a will-they-or-won't-they story to save his life. An important part of such stories is to not constantly refer to the sexual tension between the two leads. Castle does this very well (or at least did it, I haven't watched it recently) as it is a police procedural first and romantic comedy second. It helps that both leads are charismatic and their characters are interesting in their own right. Neither of which is true for this story.

EDIT: Okay so waitwaitwait lemme see if I got this sequence of events.

1. The sister comes in wearing a sexy and impractical dress and carrying a bottle of champagne (when the gently caress did teenagers ever drink champagne? From my experience it's beer, cheap vodka or bust)
2. The sister apparently reminds him that it's his birthday
3. The sister awkwardly tries to get him to kiss her
4. He almost does she turns away in the last minute.
5. They have a toast
6. Nothing else happens, end scene.

Really? A girl who murders her brother for talking to other girls does not spit out what she thinks while she's under the influence? So what does she just say "boy gee whilkers that was fun Onii-chan, see ya tomorrow!"? This makes no sense to me :psypop:

And her birthday present is the most goddamn :jerkbag: thing ever. Don't break the bank now, Miyuki. That's writing wall-of-shame material right there.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 19, 2014

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Really? A girl who murders her brother for talking to other girls does not spit out what she thinks while she's under the influence? So what does she just say "boy gee whilkers that was fun Onii-chan, see ya tomorrow!"? This makes no sense to me :psypop:

Oh I should mention that I read this scene in the book and she only knocks him out and he recovers in like a second. It just seemed longer in the anim cause in the one second he's unconcious doing the self-repair thing she somehow manages to get him laid down properly and using her legs as a pillow. Was he also laid on his bed? I don't remember.

The book makes it clear that he's only knocked out for a second, the anim took longer so I assumed murder.

Either way she still attacked him with magic for talking to other girls.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
On a non-incest-related (:haw:) subject, did the LNs say the "East Asian Alliance" was behind the incident, or did they just flat-out say "China"? I'm wondering if they're going to bowdlerize that subject like HotD did with Saya's dad being the head of an ukyou dantei group in the manga and just the head of an unspecified organization in the anime.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's the East Asian Alliance in the LNs too, but the way it's described (tons of people, inferior magical tech) is pretty much stereotypical China.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
So i guess now starts the so called "School competition arc" right? I keep hearing people say THIS is where the series actually gets interesting and cool. That can't be true because if Mahouka turns to not-poo poo status where will i get my weekly anime related schadenfreude? :(

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Personal_Nirvana posted:

So i guess now starts the so called "School competition arc" right? I keep hearing people say THIS is where the series actually gets interesting and cool. That can't be true because if Mahouka turns to not-poo poo status where will i get my weekly anime related schadenfreude? :(

Haha, no. It still sucks after the first arc. I think it actually gets worse, as none of the negative aspects go away, Tatsuya's harem expands, and they demonstrate more of his moronic skill set. But hey, could be worse. They could have skipped forward to the demon robot maid.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

(when the gently caress did teenagers ever drink champagne? From my experience it's beer, cheap vodka or bust)

Hi! Yeah, some of us liked fancy booze.
I haven't been a teen for years now, but I started my champagne habit when I was in my late teens. Also calvados and armagnac.

If you grow up with parents who don't drink beer or cheap vodka, then your taste in alcohol tends to change accordingly.

Also: "No, I loved PROTAGONIST-SAMA, but then I realised he was TOO PERFECT for me, so I had to settle for DISMEMBERMENT-KUN!"

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Wouldn't you drink champagne if you were celebrating another year of being able to hang around with Tatsuya?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Namtab posted:

The book makes it clear that he's only knocked out for a second, the anim took longer so I assumed murder.

Either way she still attacked him with magic for talking to other girls.

I thought the subs mentioned something about "life-threatening damage sustained. Commencing self-diagnostic and repair" or something of the sort. It's still hosed up on every level.

EDIT: Got around to watching episode 7.
Well.
Congratulations Mahouka. You made me somehow sympathize with the terrorists who shoot up schools.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 20, 2014

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I've been watching it and I think there's the makings of a fancy arthouse film in the way that the protagonist is incapable of reacting negatively, in an emotional or physical sense to his sister's inappropriate actions. Like what would happened to a child if their brother could be murdered all the time without issue?

The anime does suck, though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

The problem is that she didn't get him a history book which had texts and images of famous massacres of the Chinese.

And my god the author cannot write a will-they-or-won't-they story to save his life. An important part of such stories is to not constantly refer to the sexual tension between the two leads. Castle does this very well (or at least did it, I haven't watched it recently) as it is a police procedural first and romantic comedy second. It helps that both leads are charismatic and their characters are interesting in their own right. Neither of which is true for this story.

EDIT: Okay so waitwaitwait lemme see if I got this sequence of events.

1. The sister comes in wearing a sexy and impractical dress and carrying a bottle of champagne (when the gently caress did teenagers ever drink champagne? From my experience it's beer, cheap vodka or bust)
2. The sister apparently reminds him that it's his birthday
3. The sister awkwardly tries to get him to kiss her
4. He almost does she turns away in the last minute.
5. They have a toast
6. Nothing else happens, end scene.

And her birthday present is the most goddamn :jerkbag: thing ever. Don't break the bank now, Miyuki. That's writing wall-of-shame material right there.

A knee-jerk response to jealously is one thing, openly expressing emotions is another.

For example, during the Muv Luv anime, the MC and the main love interest are in a fighting robot in a building being swarmed by the enemies, minutes away from certain death, and when he calls her by her first name she spends an entire minute sputtering and saying how its not appropriate.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

pentyne posted:

A knee-jerk response to jealously is one thing, openly expressing emotions is another.

She changed from her school uniform into a fancy dress after the party was over just for him. She was about to go through with it all, but decided against it in the last second. Then the two had some champagne and the chapter ended. Her gift to him was a goddamn 3-D picture of herself in the dress with planets and poo poo for the frame Seriously Miyuki? What, Tatsuya the Weeping Prophet wouldn't accept a loving gift certificate?

That's not expressing emotions. That's the author trying to have his cake and eat it too. He wants to have romance between the two leads, but doesn't want either of them to act on it because that would be icky. So you have this bullshit will-they-or-won't-they game, where the leads act increasingly out of character to keep the charade going.

pentyne posted:

For example, during the Muv Luv anime, the MC and the main love interest are in a fighting robot in a building being swarmed by the enemies, minutes away from certain death, and when he calls her by her first name she spends an entire minute sputtering and saying how its not appropriate.

Which is also dumb and only happens in anime. People who are facing death tend to forgo formalities.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh poo poo, I didn't notice that there's a new episode.

Watching this now, and I seriously can't help but root for these terrorists. There isn't any tension when the protagonists are given access to a huge array of powerful magical abilities while the antagonists just have guns.

edit: Holy poo poo, they're dismembering these poor fucks now

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Monocled Falcon posted:

I've been watching it and I think there's the makings of a fancy arthouse film in the way that the protagonist is incapable of reacting negatively, in an emotional or physical sense to his sister's inappropriate actions. Like what would happened to a child if their brother could be murdered all the time without issue?

The anime does suck, though.

Ping Pong is an anime airing this season that actually handles a fairly emotionless protagonist quite well! And it is quite a fancy show to boot :v:

(Also it has actual characters instead of cardboard cutouts in it, that's another plus)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Holy poo poo, they're dismembering these poor fucks now

I know right? And only one guy helped that guy out by magically stopping the bleeding of what was left of his arm.

Also did anyone catch Tatsuya the Tear-drinker's reference to some Ukraine-Belorussian conglomerate? It seems the loving Russians are conspiring against the great and illustrious Nippon :allears:
I bet those Kuril Islands will be referenced. More importantly, I can't wait for people to start speaking Russian with a Japanese accent :allears: :allears: :allears:

(Wazdat? Neither Ukraine nor Belorussia is part of Russia? Yeah. So? You honestly think the author knows that?)

VV Nope! It was because she was having second thoughts about freezing people, but Tatsuya told her that it's all cool.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 20, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Was it implied that Tatsuya prevented the people Miyuki froze from dying? She starts to say something to Tatsuya and then he goes "It's alright" and one of the guys she froze comes out on a stretcher. If she really intended to kill all those guys just because they dared to lay a hand on ONII-SAMA that's pretty hosed up.

vvv It has 14 pages largely because it's so stunningly bad. Unlike most stereotypical bad anime, however, it also has right-wing politics!

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 20, 2014

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

Why does this thread have 14 pages? I watched the first episode with some friends when it aired and all we could talk about was how horribly anime it was. I'm always lost when people are talking about it because all I remember is that their uniforms are green.

You really don't need to watch any more than the first episode. Hell, you don't even have to watch the whole first episode, but I think at least that much should be required viewing because I have never seen anything so perfectly bundle up all that is bad in anime within a single episode. This show is truly remarkable.

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

JESUS gently caress WHY

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wolfman Nards posted:

You really don't need to watch any more than the first episode. Hell, you don't even have to watch the whole first episode, but I think at least that much should be required viewing because I have never seen anything so perfectly bundle up all that is bad in anime within a single episode. This show is truly remarkable.

No, you really do. Skip to Episode 4, that's when it becomes magical :allears:
See our heroes get to discussing Blanche and they drop a few zingers such as "Don't they know that magic folk work hard for their wealth" (while being part of a super-powerful clan) and "they nourish themselves with sweet tales of equality"

It becomes pretty great/bad

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wolfman Nards posted:

Why does this thread have 14 pages? I watched the first episode with some friends when it aired and all we could talk about was how horribly anime it was. I'm always lost when people are talking about it because all I remember is that their uniforms are green.

After a few episodes it becomes a bit like Ayn Rand, but with more anime.

Wolfman Nards
Apr 5, 2011

Srice posted:

After a few episodes it becomes a bit like Ayn Rand, but with more anime.

You're making is sound really bad/great, but the amount of alcohol it would take to digest this series doesn't sound very safe to me and hospital visits in my country (the US) can be rather expensive as I'm sure you can imagine.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
This is not so bad it is good. It is just plain bad. No one should ever watch this show. Just read through the thread and skim over all of the futile arguments with WickedHate's solid concrete brain to get the full effect.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wolfman Nards posted:

You're making is sound really bad/great, but the amount of alcohol it would take to digest this series doesn't sound very safe to me and hospital visits in my country (the US) can be rather expensive as I'm sure you can imagine.

Sadly it's quite dull, and really joyless. It's insanely bad and it's made worse because every once in awhile you get things like the main character bitching about how poor people don't understand that rich people work hard for their money and maybe if they would stop being so jealous and work hard they'd stop being poor.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Serious Frolicking posted:

This is not so bad it is good. It is just plain bad. No one should ever watch this show. Just read through the thread and skim over all of the futile arguments with WickedHate's solid concrete brain to get the full effect.

Some people just like different things or have different opinions. Mahouka isn't perfect but it's one of my favorite recent anime, and it's not because I'm dumb, it's just a show that appeals to me but not some others.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
is a mage not entitled to the sweat of his sister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

WickedHate posted:

one of my favorite recent anime

Please stop. I realize that when people argue they tend to take progressively more extreme opinions but this has gone too far.

As much as enjoyment is largely subjective there are still good and bad shows. This is an extreme example of the latter.

This isn't a show with a few flaws, this is a show with a few positive points in a sea of poo poo. You can enjoy bad shows but to argue that it's a matter of taste is to be so far in denial about the show that most people want to believe you're just trolling.

• Locked thread