Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

No, best self-inflicted DL was when Smoltz burned his torso by ironing his jersey when he was wearing it. I was in Atlanta at the time and the press talked of nothing else. Of course it was all bullshit but a damned fine story.

oh, and on batters, return the lost 5 inches of height to the mound and see how modern day batters like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
The NBA has the skills competition, the dunk contest and the 3 point contest. They should absolutely add a hot dog eating competition to the MLB All-Star festivities.

Also, Coffey Time!!!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DeepDickPizza posted:

The NBA has the skills competition, the dunk contest and the 3 point contest. They should absolutely add a hot dog eating competition to the MLB All-Star festivities.

Also, Coffey Time!!!

Pitcher Bunting Derby
Shortstop Acrobatic Diving
Outfield Wall Collision Contest
Catchers' "Ow, My Balls" Competition

vegeta dentata
Jun 16, 2011

More fuel for the dinger spy machine flame.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Deteriorata posted:

Pitcher Bunting Derby
Shortstop Acrobatic Diving
Outfield Wall Collision Contest
Catchers' "Ow, My Balls" Competition

I want to see an outfielder throwing competition where you have to make throws to different bases from different spots and on different trajectories (fly ball, base hit, etc).

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

I want to see an outfielder throwing competition where you have to make throws to different bases from different spots and on different trajectories (fly ball, base hit, etc).

Why not go full Tom Emanski and have outfielders throw from their locations and get the ball into a bucket sitting at home plate? Have them do it 5-10 times.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Is there a way to find average fastball velocity year over year, at least since pitchfx? I did some searching but I might not have access to a place that has the data.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Badfinger posted:

Is there a way to find average fastball velocity year over year, at least since pitchfx? I did some searching but I might not have access to a place that has the data.

Fangraphs has it: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...lter=&players=0

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

Pretty sure the Babe could still eat more hot dogs than any living ballplayer and then drink them under the table and mash a tater off a 145 pound pitcher/insurance salesman.

Seriously, this is by far the most important metric that everybody is ignoring.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Inspector_666 posted:

Seriously, this is by far the most important metric that everybody is ignoring.

Only if it was a white insurance salesman.

Can't let them coloreds play God's game.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I mean, I get why you want to compare players from different eras and all that. But you just can't do it. The game was an entirely different in each of these eras. Just stand back and awe these giants in their relative greatness. Isn't that enough?

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Today is the 16th anniversary of Kerry Wood's 20K game.

/here comes the hook.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Ah, ok I was searching the wrong way. Thanks.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

will_colorado posted:

/here comes the hook.

Someone please come over to my house and murder me.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

will_colorado posted:

/here comes the hook.

Literally the greatest game of all-time

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Someone please come over to my house and murder me.

k

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ChampRamp posted:

Literally the greatest game of all-time

Agreed. It's like he was throwing a wiffle ball back then.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
If you want to play internet online video baseball with your fellow goons buy a PS4, copy of MLB:The Show and come visit us here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3581518&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post421390514

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Welp, time to add another head to the picture:

Jeff Passan posted:

Sources: Orioles C Matt Wieters to visit Dr. James Andrews on Wednesday for examination on elbow soreness. Worst-case scenario is UCL tear.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Because Orioles fans are not allowed to be happy, Matt Wieters has a visit scheduled with Dr. James Andrews, and may have a torn UCL.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

That's probably not good for a catcher.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
N: Willie Mays is 83 today.

V: Willie Mays is the drat coolest.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
There are reports that Gregory Polanco rejected an offer from the Pirates for 7/25 with three team options.

e: Worth pointing out for those who aren't keeping up that Polanco is crushing AAA, with a .397/.449/.621 line over 127 PA thus far.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 7, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mornacale posted:

There are reports that Gregory Polanco rejected an offer from the Pirates for 7/25 with three team options.
Teams are getting really aggressive on that front now..

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

It is a heavy burden to be the custodian of pagingdrandrews.png. To know that once you put a man's picture onto the file, they're doomed to 100% opacity. And in the background, ever present, are the somber eyes of the good doctor staring into my soul. They thirst for more tendon, more sinew, more forearm tightness.

These are dark times for ligaments. Dark times, indeed.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Rand alPaul posted:

It is a heavy burden to be the custodian of pagingdrandrews.png. To know that once you put a man's picture onto the file, they're doomed to 100% opacity. And in the background, ever present, are somber eyes of the good doctor staring into my soul. They thirst for more tendon, more sinew, more forearm tightness.

These are dark times for ligaments. Dark times, indeed.

Maybe make it a gif, and rotate the players in cycle?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Mornacale posted:

If I were him, I'd still be laughing at that offer (not really knowing any particular details anyway}.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

theacox posted:

If I were him, I'd still be laughing at that offer (not really knowing any particular details anyway}.

Turns out the details are kind of important. Gregory Polanco has no MLB service time whatsoever. He turned down $25 million for three years of baseball when other guys are making league minimum and then his arbitration phase. Gregory Polanco could easily bust out of the majors before making it through Arb 2, which is when players really start getting paid, if only due to getting hurt.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Considering you make jack poo poo in your first three years it is not a laughable offer, although those team options could be awful. Oh wait I did misread 25 mil only, yea you laugh.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Crion posted:

Turns out the details are kind of important. Gregory Polanco has no MLB service time whatsoever. He turned down $25 million for three years of baseball when other guys are making league minimum and then his arbitration phase. Gregory Polanco could easily bust out of the majors before making it through Arb 2, which is when players really start getting paid, if only due to getting hurt.

The Hey Man is reporting that the three team options would have totaled somewhere in the $25-35M range and, what's more, the offer was made in Spring Training. :aaa:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

That doesn't seem like a bad deal.

He'd make like one mil total in his first three years and would have to be roughly a ten mil Aav player on the market (assuming 40-60-80) for that 7th year to really put him in the red. 1 mil, 18 mil, 10 mil.

And if the three options totaled in the 30mm range, that seems...totally reasonable?

I guess it's the opportunity cost of not being able to hit free agency earlier and get the kind of deal that has him secure into his mid 30s that's the real hangup.

Still, there is nothing at all wrong with the pirates offer, as reported.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
The other side of the coin would be, what agent would actually advise him to sign it?

If you think in baseball contract terms for (let's just call him an above average player)7-10 years from now, does it really makes sense? Obviously no one can predict the future of any of this, but given his prospect status, I'd err on the side of "pay me".

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I think a good comp is Nick Markakis, who I selected arbitrarily as someone who I think of as a "pretty good recent OF". Markakis made $23M in his first 7 years (actually 6 + me pretending he'd played a partial season in '05), then his next three seasons brought the total up to $64M. So basically the Pirates are saying "we expect you to be better than Nick Markakis" and Polanco's camp is still unsatisfied.

e: Just to be clear, I am not trying to compare these two as players, just using the progression of Markakis's salary as a benchmark.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Mornacale posted:

I think a good comp is Nick Markakis, who I selected arbitrarily as someone who I think of as a "pretty good recent OF". Markakis made $23M in his first 7 years (actually 6 + me pretending he'd played a partial season in '05), then his next three seasons brought the total up to $64M. So basically the Pirates are saying "we expect you to be better than Nick Markakis" and Polanco's camp is still unsatisfied.

e: Just to be clear, I am not trying to compare these two as players, just using the progression of Markakis's salary as a benchmark.

If you want to use that as a benchmark of sorts, I don't have a problem with it. I'm just saying what if Markakis' (or whoever currently in the ML) fictional '05 partial season was actually 2014. It's a decade later. Aren't the economics of baseball contracts much different?

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Polanco is real dumb for turning that down

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

theacox posted:

If you want to use that as a benchmark of sorts, I don't have a problem with it. I'm just saying what if Markakis' (or whoever currently in the ML) fictional '05 partial season was actually 2014. It's a decade later. Aren't the economics of baseball contracts much different?

I don't think they are that different outside of the top end. The option years probably stand to be a bigger value, if he winds up being a good player, but arbitration rewards have seemed relatively constant. Ultimately, one of the big market forces is going to be the huge explosion in long-term deals for young players, and I don't think anyone can say with certainty how that's going to shake out in 5 years. I would hazard a guess that arbitration will remain fairly steady, but it will further drive up the value of a good young free agent.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

N: Robbie Ray gets the win in his first major league start, giving up 1 run and 5 hits in 5 1/3 innings.
V: The Houston Astros are a really bad baseball team.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In related Tigers news:

quote:

The Detroit Tigers invited a samurai warrior to throw out the first pitch before playing the Astros Tuesday. The samurai’s appearance is to help promote the Detroit Institute of Arts, which has an ongoing exhibit called “Samurai: Beyond the Sword.” John Truong, clad in full samurai gear and wielding a sword, took the mound and threw one of the most dangerous first pitches in MLB history.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Deteriorata posted:

N: Robbie Ray gets the win in his first major league start, giving up 1 run and 5 hits in 5 1/3 innings.
V: The Houston Astros are a really bad baseball team.
I can't think of a better way to ease into MLB than having to pitch to that AAA team also called Houston

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Kershaw is back after six weeks, 7 IP 0 R 9 K

• Locked thread