Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

don't like card games, don't like nep (enough to play card games), no thanks. please make a platformer.

1001 neps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Guess there's some grinding involved in Re;birth1 after all? I just scraped by against Hraesvelgr in... uh, the third dungeon? Then had my rear end so thoroughly handed to me by Black Heart that I was certain--until I had to reload--that it was a forced defeat event. Level 9 all 'round.

I mean yeah I guess I can get two more Life Rings--percentage healing and all--but then it's just grinding for dosh, not xp :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 27, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Guess there's some grinding involved in Re;birth1 after all? I just scraped by against Hraesvelgr in... uh, the third dungeon? Then had my rear end so thoroughly handed to me by Black Heart that I was certain--until I had to reload--that it was a forced defeat event. Level 9 all 'round.

I mean yeah I guess I can get two more Life Rings--percentage healing and all--but then it's just grinding for dosh, not xp :v:

Life Rings. They are essential in the beginning stages of Rebirth 1.

Oh you sneakily added that edit. Then yeah, get credits.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah Rebirth 1 has a poo poo grind and is awful about pulling higher level check bosses straight after you've just beaten a fairly easy one.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Rebirth 1 also annoyed me with how many boss fights you're not supposed to win against it throws at you. So it leads to a situation where a boss is kicking your rear end and you think it's one you have to lose against to progress but wait nope, you do have to win. Time to grind! The other Nep games aren't quite as bad for any of this but it isn't really until V-II where they got the balance somewhat right, you'll only need to grind for postgame content in that game.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Sometimes I felt bad that I was easily crushing all the bosses in Re;Birth2 without putting in any effort because I'd been using the Super EXP Up plan as soon as it was available, but mostly I thought at least I didn't have to deal with that kind of thing.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Polsy posted:

Sometimes I felt bad that I was easily crushing all the bosses in Re;Birth2 without putting in any effort because I'd been using the Super EXP Up plan as soon as it was available, but mostly I thought at least I didn't have to deal with that kind of thing.

It's a DLC plan if I remember right, so a cheap bandaid by the developers to help reduce the grind. Though to be fair, Rebirth 2 isn't as grindy even without that DLC as Rebirth 1 is.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I wonder if turning on the easier monsters plan will help against bosses / reduce the grind. Can't try it right now 'cos I'm at work, sadly :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It reduces the grind slightly but not so much that it gets rid of some bosses being annoying level checks that you probably won't be high enough for.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't recall having to grind in RB;1 so I must either be a prodigy or have blocked it out. On the other hand I was doing all the quests so maybe I accidentally grinded.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Noire and the 2nd chapter in general are a big roadblock. The other one is the fight with Jammers. Otherwise the game's mostly a breeze.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Rebirth 3 is actually... way longer than I expected. How many chapters is this, since I can't check by Steam achievements (they're all hidden)?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
10 total.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Okay, I'm nearly there then, just got to 7 before bed.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ok yeah three Life Rings turned Black Heart from an impossible slog to just, uh, a slog :v: Kind of a long fight but I still had enough SP for a couple heals by the time I was done.

Does ending an attack combo early let me take another turn sooner, or anything like that? Not really sure how to best get and use guard breaks on bosses.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Ciaphas posted:

Does ending an attack combo early let me take another turn sooner, or anything like that?

Yeah, the longer you carry on with a combo the longer the delay before your next turn. This becomes really noticeable once you get Combo Link and can string together two full combos in a row: it takes forever for your next turn to come around after that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Righto then, so no point carrying on with (say) a Compa combo if she's done getting a guard break I guess. Makes sense now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Rebirth 3 is actually... way longer than I expected. How many chapters is this, since I can't check by Steam achievements (they're all hidden)?

It also has three endings too and unlike Rebirth 1's True Ending which required Share grinding or Rebirth 2's Lily Rank and Share grinding to get the various endings, Rebirth 3 only cares if you've seen certain events before chapter 8 and then some more events in chapter 9 and early chapter 10 that you get from optional dungeons for the True Ending.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Okay. I'll look up the stuff but I should be good since I read and watch everything.

I'm only here for the jokes, damnit.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

END ME SCOOB posted:

Okay. I'll look up the stuff but I should be good since I read and watch everything.

I'm only here for the jokes, damnit.

In it to download all the memes huh? Well that's what the series is best at.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
These post-game events are deliciously dumb. "I never want to go to another concert with these two again" was a callback I didn't see coming.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 30, 2016

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Picked up rebirth 1 again. Was at chapter 2. Just started Chapter 3. Do the plans to make enemy's weaker and stronger effect drop rates or something? Should I install every plan or should I pick and choose?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Install every plan that looks useful, the weaker/stronger enemies plans don't effect anything else and are just difficulty mods.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

Install every plan that looks useful, the weaker/stronger enemies plans don't effect anything else and are just difficulty mods.

This. There's no Trophy/Achievement tied to it either, so making enemies easier is never a bad idea.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm play Blanc + Nep vs Zombies and the story is Love Live only they're making a zombies movie instead of becoming idols

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Magical*Noirina

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

Magical*Noirina

I wish Blanc v Zombies was a better game, because it's got some great stuff in it. I'm having a lot of trouble trying to actively work my way through it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

At least the stages so far have been at most 90 seconds long so I can get back to the good bits quicker.

E: huh is the only DLC really a couple of free items?

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 3, 2016

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

This is very true. I just wish the menus weren't so unresponsive and sluggish. I don't know how they managed to screw that up in a way that no other game, not even Nep1 PS3, did.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I kind of wish they gave the action spinoffs to someone more competent instead of Tamsoft, even though that'd never ever happen. And I still want my Uni third person shooter spinoff made by the developers of the Earth Defense Force games, as she shoots down giant Horsebirds, Dogoos, Vaders, Clydes and other Neptunia monsters who are currently crawling all over the buildings of Planeptune, Lastation, Lowee and Leanbox.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

don't like card games, don't like nep (enough to play card games), no thanks. please make a platformer.

1001 neps?

Neptunia: Can I Really Be The Nep?

I think i own all of these games at this point but I'm still working on Re;Birth 1, I also own two Vitas so of course I'm having a good time.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Liver Disaster posted:

Neptunia: Can I Really Be The Nep?

I think i own all of these games at this point but I'm still working on Re;Birth 1, I also own two Vitas so of course I'm having a good time.

Might want to point one over to Henkaku.me so you can download the fan re-translations coming soon.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 3, 2016

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Dehry posted:

Might want to point one over to Henkaku.me so you can download the fan re-translations coming soon.

Woah, thanks!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Please do not use fan re-translations of Neptunia games, because they are soulless and terrible.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

It gives me another way to play Shining Force II even if I don't use the fan translations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6dG2drMlCI

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

So my PS3 broke halfway through Victory. Can I just get Re;Birth 3 as a reasonable substitute? In what little I actually played through the first remake, they seem to have changed quite a bit?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The first remake changes a lot because Nep 1 PS3 was a horrible, horrible game. I don't think the changes between Victory and RB3 are very drastic, if any.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Irisize posted:

So my PS3 broke halfway through Victory. Can I just get Re;Birth 3 as a reasonable substitute? In what little I actually played through the first remake, they seem to have changed quite a bit?

Rebirth 2 and 3 are more like slightly altered ports than remakes like Rebirth 1 was. Rebirth 2 is more or less Mk.2 but with RED replacing Nisa and Broccoli replacing Gust alongside some new playable characters including the Oracles. Rebirth 3 is kind of the same but you do have a new tutorial dungeon and a few new scenes which set up VII more. So yeah, you can switch over fairly easily and the Rebirths are better than the originals anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I wonder if we'll see the makers again. Broccoli was adorable even if she was useless in combat.