Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

muscles like this? posted:

It is kind of weird though that it's been what, two years and nobody has used the Nemesis system for anything else.

I was really expecting a flood of Nemesis style things to hit but yea, weirdly no one did when there's a ton of interesting places to go with that. Like, poo poo a superhero game of any kind can easily do that with the levels being 'generic mook' up to 'proper super baddie' and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Why the gently caress would you ever want to run out of orcs.

I'd like to feel like I'm actually a badass, beating vicious villains, not just in an endless game of whack-a-mole that goes until I run out of coins.

Every time I'd go back to that army screen and it'd be half empty, then just fill up again with new dudes with the same 6 gimmicks, I got so depressed. Like, the game was OK, but I really don't see what others do in the Nemesis system, unless there's a major overhaul of it. Then again, I'm a very story-focused gamer. Sandboxes with no carrot to chase bore the poo poo out of me.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 15, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess Toxx is a Dark Souls Guy who thinks combat is only good if you watch your toon slowly swing his weapon and if you miss once welp you're dead. Me, I like to murk a bunch of dudes really fast.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

FEAR takedowns are so much Goddamn fun. Not to mention the quickfire gadgets. The environmental takedowns. And the team-up takedowns.

Arkham Knight is incredible

e: Like I had so, so many completely organic bad-rear end Batman moments playing that game. I'd bash through a window or something and take out five dudes, methodically, efficiently, the stuff of pure Batman, and it's all just made possible by the game. It's not like pre-scripted Cool Moments, there's so many opportunities to make your own Cool Moments and they all felt so incredibly natural. I love that game so much.

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 15, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

That's really weird since people were pretty much over the Nolan Batman when Shadows of Mordor came out.

Well the Nolan version probably would have come out quite a bit earlier seeing as they had to completely redo everything.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurdiak posted:

That game has a lot of weird decisions, like making you fight Uruks and Graugs instead of orcs and trolls,
Stephen Colbert would have your head on a plate.

Uruks are orcs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ghostlight posted:

Stephen Colbert would have your head on a plate.

Uruks are orcs.

I'm not the one he should be mad at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Er6qo2ViKw&t=200s

The game goes out of its way to make this distinction.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Why is it that members of geek fandoms are so obsessed with putting down and fighting with their own?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not the one he should be mad at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Er6qo2ViKw&t=200s

The game goes out of its way to make this distinction.
He's just an orcaboo. They're not cartoons, son - they're anime.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Madkal posted:

Why is it that members of geek fandoms are so obsessed with putting down and fighting with their own?

Nerd Crab Bucket

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Arkham Knight has the best Batmanning. Some people can't get over all the Batmobiling though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

poo poo I loved the Batmobile too. I got the True Ending in Arkham Knight, and I may just go back and 200% that poo poo, since talking about it all day has really made me want to play it again.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It makes me mad every time I see "unavailable" in the menu for that Jokerized Batmobile.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I kinda hated Battank until I got to follow Jason around town as he drove a megatank with like 10 giant glowing "DEAR GOD END IT ALL SHOOT ME HERE!" lights.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Lurdiak posted:

the only elf be a scary ghost.

I just finished the game last night and there were sure as poo poo other elves in the back half. The queen and her daughter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

END ME SCOOB posted:

I just finished the game last night and there were sure as poo poo other elves in the back half. The queen and her daughter.

I'm not sure I actually remember the game's story.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I don't know how you could forget, it was gleefully stupid. I think it was designed as fandom poison for my wife the Tolkein fan. When the game ended on let's forge another Ring of Power I was cackling at the idiocy

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I probably tuned out when I realized how loving dumb it was. I mostly remember decapitations, riding things, and a bug in one of the DLCs that made me unable to complete a main quest.

Oh, and lots of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG_PuxFDwPw

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
To this day, the Nemesis system is still the most next-gen thing I've seen. Like, it's the one time a game has pulled something and I've gone "okay, I totally get why you needed a tech upgrade before you could do this, there's no way 360s and PS3s could do this with slightly worse graphics".

I've got Uncharted 4 but haven't started it yet, but I hear that's got some good stuff too.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Shadow of Mordor is totally redeemed by the Nemesis system. It's dumb as hell if you try to follow the plot, but Nemesis legit made murdering the same orcs over and over again still feel cool, and seeing the guy you just murdered twice sneaking around the field a few feet behind you is priceless.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I am shocked to see all these people defending the loving batmobile sections of Knight. I recently tried to play it again and just put it down after the first tank section in disgust.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Unless that thing hits $5-10 I'll never know, because I play on the platform where they went "this game is a tire fire, no more patches", and so I don't know if I'm getting a functional game or a crashy shitshow.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I was just disappointed because I was hyped when the game announced Scarecrow would be the main villain so I thought it would be all trippin out sequences all the time but instead all it meant was you just got loving Joker hanging out like an rear end in a top hat providing commentary on the game.

And yeah the Batmobile can eat it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I haven't had time to finish either game, but from what I've played, they both own. I'm really jealous that some of you guys have the time/money to pour hours into games you don't like.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

I've got Uncharted 4 but haven't started it yet, but I hear that's got some good stuff too.

As someone who loved that game and demolished it in under a week, I'm not convinced there was anything in it that a PS3 couldn't have done gameplay-wise.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Arkham Knight owned and I didn't get sick of the Batmobile until the end, and mostly because they cockteased a Deathstroke fight and just made it a tank battle.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Both Knight and Shadows of Mordor are on sale right now on PSN. SoM is, like, 7 bucks.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

How much is Arkham Knight on sale for? I was thinking about getting a physical copy from Amazin this week, but if the price is right.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Arkham Knight would be an amazing game if it had no main story.

I think the core of how the side missions work in that game is actually pretty great.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Anybody going to HeroesCon in Charlotte this weekend?

I'll be set up at a table in Indie Island (AA-1127) and it would be cool* to meet anyone who wanted to come by and say hey.

*"cool"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Man I wish! One of these summers I'm gonna do a bunch of cons as travel.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Pro tip: if you like comics, as opposed to never-ending parades of advertisements for the hot new series on Showtime, Heroes is hands down the best con

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Looks like we're gonna hit Wizard World Chicago again this year. For a Wizard show it's actually pretty great and it's enormous.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Does Mantis from Guardians of the Galaxy have the strangest comics history? Because she went from Marvel to DC to Eclipse to back to Marvel, and I can't think of a character that's canonically ever made one big two jump (outside of Amalgam stuff but that doesn't really count), much less a back-and-forth.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Does Mantis from Guardians of the Galaxy have the strangest comics history? Because she went from Marvel to DC to Eclipse to back to Marvel, and I can't think of a character that's canonically ever made one big two jump (outside of Amalgam stuff but that doesn't really count), much less a back-and-forth.

Do not open the can of worms labeled Englehart, Steve.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Benito Cereno posted:

Pro tip: if you like comics, as opposed to never-ending parades of advertisements for the hot new series on Showtime, Heroes is hands down the best con

This is seriously true. I wish I could be there this year but personal schedule + it being right next to father's day + me not living in Charlotte any more made it impossible for me to make it out there. I hate missing it.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Die Laughing posted:

How much is Arkham Knight on sale for? I was thinking about getting a physical copy from Amazin this week, but if the price is right.

Hey, not to interrupt video game chat, but I've been meaning to ask. What the gently caress is going on with Morrison's stomach? Did he have a botched c-section or something?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I don't even know where the picture is from.

And Arkham Knight is on sale for $25, all the DLC included. It's going to be a long weekend of Batmanning.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Is that playable on PS3? I'm poor, and still rocking a PS2, but have a decent line on a cheap 3. Also, is poo poo playable off line these days, or is that a thing of the past? And if we're continuing video game chat, what are y'all's opinions on consoles in general? I'm thinking maybe one more generation of them, and even that seems generous. I feel like we're on the verge of non-branded consoles, with games being purchased online. No idea how that'd shake out, but I also never thought SEGA would put out games playable on the Wii (probably better examples out there, forgive me, I am old).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Is that playable on PS3? I'm poor, and still rocking a PS2, but have a decent line on a cheap 3. Also, is poo poo playable off line these days, or is that a thing of the past?
Arkham Knight is PS4 / Bone / PC.

Most stuff is playable offline.

• Locked thread