Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Pekka won that one for Nashville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
That was great defense. Stars only had a couple good lane chances.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Going for a sports walk

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Well you can count the number of goaltender losses the Stars have had this year on one hand, but that was definitely a goaltender loss if I've ever seen one. Stars should be up 2-1 in this series, now they have to try and salvage a split at home to keep a remote chance of winning.

Just not Ben Bishop's night.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
RIP Stars

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Preds

:getin:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't feel like Nashville looks very good. Dallas might actually win this series.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
ahhh jost had the whole net to himself there

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ginette Reno posted:

I don't feel like Nashville looks very good. Dallas might actually win this series.

I don't see how you can watch tonight's game and feel that way. If they don't have their goalies the Stars do not have the offensive firepower to win.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

Nashville has been decidedly the better team on their rink. Not a surprise the Stars would look better on their home rink, they've been one of the best home ice teams in the league for years now.

I'm somewhat annoyed that the Ben Lehtonen hot takes are already starting up on twitter...

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Not that it matters but

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Not that it matters but

what the gently caress is the math that says the Stars had 60 scoring chances in that game on 42 shots

I think they need to look at their methodology a bit

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Avs got their 42nd shot, setting a new franchise record for Nordiques/Avs most shots in a playoff game in regulation.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

This game is insane

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

fermun posted:

Avs got their 42nd shot, setting a new franchise record for Nordiques/Avs most shots in a playoff game in regulation.

they've come a long way since the 8 shot game against Minnesota in the playoffs a few years back lol

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Almost starting to feel sorry for Smith...almost.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
if the avs 1st line can keep rolling like this, like they did at the start of the season, they could be trouble. they are so fast and crack fiends for shots right now.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Starsfan posted:

I'm somewhat annoyed that the Ben Lehtonen hot takes are already starting up on twitter...

I was going to effort post a big old rant, but I will save my words and just say: you can say Bishop is not Kari Lehtonen, but when you look at tonight's result and his performance in it, the story writes itself. It's on Bishop to avoid poo poo like that.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog
Go Avs

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Volkerball posted:

if the avs 1st line can keep rolling like this, like they did at the start of the season, they could be trouble. they are so fast and crack fiends for shots right now.

The Avalanche are a team that has shown that they can make big runs out of pretty "even" play wrt: shot / scoring chance generation because their goaltending and shooting skill is p. elite.

They've never shown the ability to consistently dominate play over an extended period of games the way the top teams in the league have this year. I think that's keeping me from rating them as a Stanley Cup threat, but they are a dangerous team to play in a series.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

I don't see how you can watch tonight's game and feel that way. If they don't have their goalies the Stars do not have the offensive firepower to win.

Starsfan posted:

Nashville has been decidedly the better team on their rink. Not a surprise the Stars would look better on their home rink, they've been one of the best home ice teams in the league for years now.

It's not that I think the Stars look great it's just Nashville looks very ordinary, if that makes sense. They look beatable.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

jesus is it just me or has this been a really rough round 1 of playoffs? We've had a suspension from, what, 4 teams so far? Misconducts getting handed out what is going on?

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Zat posted:

They just showed a replay on NBCSN which made it very clear Heiskanen didn't touch it. That one replay earlier was a misleading angle.

My bad, didn't see that angle as I am discretely watching the game while at my desk "working". That's two super lovely goals bishop has deflected in on himself off his blocker then?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Starsfan posted:

The Avalanche are a team that has shown that they can make big runs out of pretty "even" play wrt: shot / scoring chance generation because their goaltending and shooting skill is p. elite.

They've never shown the ability to consistently dominate play over an extended period of games the way the top teams in the league have this year. I think that's keeping me from rating them as a Stanley Cup threat, but they are a dangerous team to play in a series.

they had a pretty good run going at the start of the season when rantanen was leading the league in points, but odds are the lack of depth will probably end up catching up with them like it did in the regular season.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Flames players have gotten 2 misconducts after the whistle tonight with bennett and tkachuk

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Starsfan posted:

what the gently caress is the math that says the Stars had 60 scoring chances in that game on 42 shots

I think they need to look at their methodology a bit

Misses and blocked shots can count as high danger scoring chances.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
no misconduct for tkachuk but the flames are shook

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Volkerball posted:

no misconduct for tkachuk but the flames are shook

are you sure? stadium announcer said there was.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Flames are super loving salty right now

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the good news for the flames is that they haven't lost yet

the bad news is they look like poo poo

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

fermun posted:

are you sure? stadium announcer said there was.

commentators said there wasn't. schrodingers tkachuk

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

aejix posted:

My bad, didn't see that angle as I am discretely watching the game while at my desk "working". That's two super lovely goals bishop has deflected in on himself off his blocker then?

correct.

I guess the way I see it is that every playoff series is typically decided on goaltender performance fluctuations and injury luck. The only way to transcend that reality in a cap league where any team can win any night is to have a real drat good roster that weights the coin flip enough in your favor that over a 7 game series you win 8 times out of 10 or whatever.

Dallas is a below average roster which has floated into the playoffs on Vezina caliber goaltending, they aren't going to win poo poo scoring 2 goals a game. This isn't the days of the #1 seed Dallas Stars from 2015-16 where Lehtonen would lose them games 7-5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Starsfan posted:

you knew Nashville was going to get fluke goals, they always get fluke goals because of their "throw every piece of trash at the net from all angels" philosophy in the offensive zone.

I wish Dallas did more of that :(

I don’t know if you watch Nashville games or not, but for several years this has been the complete opposite of their offense. They are a pass first team that for a long time has farted around in their offense, and the media, the fans have begged for years to shoot more and just throw poo poo at the net. You can’t score if you just pass it around. The fact that they’re starting to do that is encouraging and paid off with two goals tonight.