Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Everyone posted:

Is it wrong that I kind of want the end of the next Bond film to have Craig's Bond retiring to become a private/consulting detective? Blanc. Benoit Blanc.

A canon reason for why Blanc sounds like an Englishman doing a Southern accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Detective No. 27 posted:

A canon reason for why Blanc sounds like an Englishman doing a Southern accent.

However, even with that explanation, the next movie still needs to have Blanc doing a completely different but also over-the-top accent. With zero explanation.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I was listening to the movies that made me and Joe Dante said something that kinda blew my mind. It was along the lines that he was wondering why Daniel Craig had decided at this time to do a dead on impersonation of Kevin Spacey in House of Cards in this movie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1226611297254436865?s=21

Fashion icon, Rian Johnson

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Just saw the movie.

Didn't care for some parts.

Why would the housekeeper meet with someone she thinks is a murder in secret and not tell anyone and not carry a gun?

Why would the witness to seeing Ransom earlier have their testimony hold any weight if they also thought that the nurse was Ransom too?

I also dislike that the rear end in a top hat of the family was the murderer. It just fits too nicely and there wasn't much of a build up to "whodunit" after the halfway point of the film.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 17, 2020

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
"The rear end in a top hat of the family" doesn't obviously describe one person and if you think it does you've missed one of the best parts of the movie, which is how the entire family, despite all their differences, turn out to be precisely the same sort of rear end in a top hat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why would the witness to seeing Ransom earlier have their testimony hold any weight if they also thought that the nurse was Ransom too?
The key point was "again". Someone else had already climbed up to the window and that person pretty much had to be Ransom since everyone else had their movements accounted for.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why would the housekeeper meet with someone she thinks is a murder in secret and not tell anyone and not carry a gun?

She ummm didn’t think anyone was a murderer. She was convinced until the end that she accidentally poisoned Harlan and that whoever she was meeting with just had info to blackmail her.

Also just because this is a murder mystery doesn’t mean everyone has to carry a gun. She is not at all the type of person to own or carry a gun

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Guy A. Person posted:

She ummm didn’t think anyone was a murderer. She was convinced until the end that she accidentally poisoned Harlan and that whoever she was meeting with just had info to blackmail her.

Also just because this is a murder mystery doesn’t mean everyone has to carry a gun. She is not at all the type of person to own or carry a gun

You're confusing a nurse for a housekeeper. Which incidentally is something Don Johnson's character does too, amusingly - at one point he hands her an empty plate of food he has just finished eating, like he expects her to put it away, this despite her being a nurse, not a housekeeper.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ah poo poo I misread, at the airport still slightly hungover from my friends wedding.

Although it’s been some time since I saw the movie, how much do we know about Edi Patterson’s meeting with Ransom? We know she knew about the test results and ultimately ended up at the abandoned storefront or whatever, but do we know she went there unarmed believing she was confronting a murderer?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Yes, that is what happened. We even see it happen in a flashback.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ah well gently caress I’m just 0 for 2 today lol

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

"The rear end in a top hat of the family" doesn't obviously describe one person and if you think it does you've missed one of the best parts of the movie, which is how the entire family, despite all their differences, turn out to be precisely the same sort of rear end in a top hat.

Oh I absolutely got that part. It was just that Ransom was made to be the most insufferable.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The key point was "again". Someone else had already climbed up to the window and that person pretty much had to be Ransom since everyone else had their movements accounted for.

Good point.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

punk rebel ecks posted:

Oh I absolutely got that part. It was just that Ransom was made to be the most insufferable.
Really? I felt like everyone else was hiding how loving awful they were over a veneer of something. Ransom was straight up "I'm rich, I can do whatever. you don't like it? suck a lemon"

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Yeah, Ransom was one of the more likeable members of the family, because he's openly an rear end in a top hat to people who are assholes to him. There's a bunch of little things that let you know he's a genuinely bad person, but I was definitely hoping for him not the be the bad guy.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am pretty sure Chris Evens was just enjoying a chance to be a right bastard.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'm wondering why Halan didn't cut his family off (especially Ransom) sooner?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Well, he never intended to cut Linda off, and he only found out about Richard's infidelity recently. Likewise he only cut off Joni because he found out she was stealing from him. And Walt was a long time coming, but Harlan was probably inspired to re-think Walt's place after he was already planning on disrupting things with two thirds of his children.

And as for Ransom? Harlan saw himself in Ransom, and was worried what would happen to him without support.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Patrick Spens posted:

Well, he never intended to cut Linda off, and he only found out about Richard's infidelity recently. Likewise he only cut off Joni because he found out she was stealing from him. And Walt was a long time coming, but Harlan was probably inspired to re-think Walt's place after he was already planning on disrupting things with two thirds of his children.

I understand

Patrick Spens posted:

And as for Ransom? Harlan saw himself in Ransom, and was worried what would happen to him without support.

Who cares what will happen to him if he acts like a piece of poo poo?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Who cares what will happen to him if he acts like a piece of poo poo?
Humans often care about their family members, and even about people outside of their family. This is true even if those people are not perfect.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Home media release is today. Johnson's in-theater commentary is included and is absolutely worth it. There's also a feature length documentary of the making-of

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Bloopers?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Sadly not

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Is there a commentary done by Craig entirely in Blanc's voice?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

https://twitter.com/shallow15/status/1232459238175174656?s=21

gently caress, is there a way to get that book elsewhere?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If you got the Best Buy steelbook edition, put the slipcover on backwards for a clever easter egg (only if you've already watched it, though)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ignis posted:

https://twitter.com/shallow15/status/1232459238175174656?s=21

gently caress, is there a way to get that book elsewhere?

It was up as a free ebook on the official website.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

God, Johnson is just full of infectious joy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69GjaVWeGQM&t=506s

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arist posted:

God, Johnson is just full of infectious joy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69GjaVWeGQM&t=506s

Johnson is really fun to listen to. Even when he's breaking down the technical stuff of a scene or a moment, he always just sounds like he's having such a great time making movies and that's delightful

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

He's in some of the interview/movie chat clips on the criterion channel and he's good

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

I'm sure that Johnson's infectious joy for making movies is one of the reasons why I'm such an apologist for all his work.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
It’s definitely nice he didn’t become jaded or bitter about the whole Star Wars discourse.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Colonel Whitey posted:

It’s definitely nice he didn’t become jaded or bitter about the whole Star Wars discourse.

He always points out that the rabid haters are the VAST minority. Internalizing that fact probably helps a lot.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

jivjov posted:

He always points out that the rabid haters are the VAST minority. Internalizing that fact probably helps a lot.

Yeah it’s always helpful to remember that actual critics mostly liked his movie and the people who didn’t like it are mostly basement dwelling weirdos with very specific prejudices about what a Star Wars story should do.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah it’s always helpful to remember that actual critics mostly liked his movie and the people who didn’t like it are mostly basement dwelling weirdos with very specific prejudices about what a Star Wars story should do.

eh, I don't wanna go too far into it here, but imo there are legitimate reasons not to like TLJ that much as a film, since It's got some pretty significant issues. With that said, it does suck that there are insane people who personally blame Johnson for the whole thing—I actually have a friend who refused to watch Knives Out because he thinks Johnson ruined the franchise.

e: Yes, I have told him he's insane.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Johnson's the one spot of bright originality in the sequel trilogy sandwiches between fun nostalgia and tired nostalgia.

Bringing new poo poo to an established genre seems to really be his wheelhouse; between brick and TLJ and Knives out. Tossing in a thriller in the middle of a whodunnit while still maintaining the mystery of a whodunnit is inspired

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Nah the last jedi is perfect and so is knives out and Star Wars fans are little babies

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What directors are brave enough to make a good Star War sequel with Disney money?

Anyway, I hear such good things about the commentary for this that I just might bite.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

What directors are brave enough to make a good Star War sequel with Disney money?
I'm still disappointed Brad Bird didn't direct one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Acebuckeye13 posted:

eh, I don't wanna go too far into it here, but imo there are legitimate reasons not to like TLJ that much as a film, since It's got some pretty significant issues. With that said, it does suck that there are insane people who personally blame Johnson for the whole thing—I actually have a friend who refused to watch Knives Out because he thinks Johnson ruined the franchise.

e: Yes, I have told him he's insane.

I got a friend who thinks Disney plus was created (and all its shows) solely because of the last Jedi