Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Holding jerusalem would give you a foreign ruler penalty and generally be a pain in the rear end to protect once the Muslims want it back. I'd give it off to a family member. Let them deal with it.

It only gives a foreign ruler penalty if you don't distribute the titles to Welshmen. But there's no reason why he wouldn't do that. Just give everything to welsh Courtiers, keep the Kingdom title, make sure both Kingdoms have the same succession laws, and hope you get help once the Muslims jihad back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Can someone give a rundown of how gameplay is with a republic? The Republic is the only major expansion DLC that I don't own and I'm thinking about grabbing it before the end of the sale this afternoon, but I really have no idea why I should -want- to play as a republic.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Republics are fun because they are absolutely nothing like the rest of the game so it's a great change of pace.

Basically you have your family and 4 other merchant families, and whenever someone dies an election is held to decide who will succeed among the 5 families. Anytime before this election you can name an heir, and spend money to move the vote your way (You can always see who's currently "ahead" so it's not a surprise unless you dont pay attention). Heirs who are older and more prestige have a more likely chance to get voted in than someone younger (Which is often how it worked in real life).

Additionally you get cash. A SHITLOAD of cash. It's pretty obscene and fun. You can set up trade posts in other provinces to generate a lot of cash, and screw over rival families by taking their poo poo if they get too big.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

RagnarokAngel posted:

Basically you have your family and 4 other merchant families, and whenever someone dies an election is held to decide who will succeed among the 5 families. Anytime before this election you can name an heir, and spend money to move the vote your way (You can always see who's currently "ahead" so it's not a surprise unless you dont pay attention). Heirs who are older and more prestige have a more likely chance to get voted in than someone younger (Which is often how it worked in real life).

Sometimes the winner isn't the expected one, there is some degree of randomness, especially if he's not that far ahead the next guy.
Still, you keep playing even if you don't have any titles but your palace, so as a republican you can only get game over if republic loses all land or there are no men left in your dynasty.
It also won't work for world conquest too well, when other family is in control of the republic they'll likely waste your conquest achievements.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?
So I currently hold two duchies, Saxony and Brunswick, with about ten counties to my name, six of which I rule directly. I'm getting kind of sick of gavelkind succession, because it seems to want to take a ducal title and all but one county from my oldest son, who is pretty great. Unfortunately I can't switch to primogeniture because the kingdom of East Francia is a secondary title for my liege, so he hasn't changed the crown authority in forever, and his changing crown authority in the kingdom of Italy doesn't seem to have changed whether or not I'm allowed to go for primogeniture.

I can switch to elective though. I guess I'm just wondering how sure of a thing elective monarchy is in terms of my getting to choose my heir. I don't think continually assassinating my younger sons is sustainable, because eventually there'll be someone who is impotent or dies young, and I'll need another dynastic heir, so I'm wondering what other people have done in this situation. Basically, I don't want to break up all of my holdings between my sons, though I have no problem with my younger son having a county, but I can't do primogeniture succession, don't want to do ultimogeniture, and I don't want to keep assassinating younger sons.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

McCloud24 posted:

So I currently hold two duchies, Saxony and Brunswick, with about ten counties to my name, six of which I rule directly. I'm getting kind of sick of gavelkind succession, because it seems to want to take a ducal title and all but one county from my oldest son, who is pretty great. Unfortunately I can't switch to primogeniture because the kingdom of East Francia is a secondary title for my liege, so he hasn't changed the crown authority in forever, and his changing crown authority in the kingdom of Italy doesn't seem to have changed whether or not I'm allowed to go for primogeniture.

I can switch to elective though. I guess I'm just wondering how sure of a thing elective monarchy is in terms of my getting to choose my heir. I don't think continually assassinating my younger sons is sustainable, because eventually there'll be someone who is impotent or dies young, and I'll need another dynastic heir, so I'm wondering what other people have done in this situation. Basically, I don't want to break up all of my holdings between my sons, though I have no problem with my younger son having a county, but I can't do primogeniture succession, don't want to do ultimogeniture, and I don't want to keep assassinating younger sons.

Unless you and / or your chosen heir are really lovely at diplomacy / really messed up, elective should allow you to choose the best guy for the job if you grease a few palms. The voters will tend to choose adults over children, however.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?

DrSunshine posted:

Unless you and / or your chosen heir are really lovely at diplomacy / really messed up, elective should allow you to choose the best guy for the job if you grease a few palms. The voters will tend to choose adults over children, however.

I've actually been cultivating diplomacy as my main stat. I think my last three or four characters have all been Grey Eminences, and the next is on his way there as well, I expect. All have had upwards of 18 diplomacy after coming of age.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

RagnarokAngel posted:

Republics are fun because they are absolutely nothing like the rest of the game so it's a great change of pace.

Additionally you get cash. A SHITLOAD of cash. It's pretty obscene and fun. You can set up trade posts in other provinces to generate a lot of cash, and screw over rival families by taking their poo poo if they get too big.

The patrician elective system is a lot of fun. It's like what elective monarchy should have felt like (rather than "the best member of your family always inherits, and all your vassals get an approval rating.") A combination of stability and stabity. My new favorite stabbing situation in patrician elective is if there's a really old, venerable member of another family that's going to become doge when you die and you can't afford to buy the election is to excommunicate him, then use that as a pretext to imprison and execute him.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rejected Fate posted:

So I'm thinking of starting an Old Gods Amalfi game, any tips to help me not get crushed? Seems like a precarious position, but I feel like trying to create a Greco-Sicillian Merchant Sicily.

Instantly swear fealty to the Byzantine emperor.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I used to have it all, you know that? Caliph Abdulla the Wise was a good man, realized how things went, and worked hard. Now his son takes over and two different factions rebel? Tear my great kingdom apart? No. gently caress the Christians for coming down and trying to take advantage of my weakness.

The Pope, Anti-Pope, anyone else- I'm coming for you real loving soon. I built this empire, and I will rebuild it from the ashes if I have to just to get my revenge.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Kuntz posted:

My King of Wales just became King of Jerusalem! :woop: I was pretty surprised as my contribution to the Crusade didn't seem that big to me, I just sent 10k men initially, came back home to squash a rebellion, then sent 10k men again.

Now to divvy up the spoils. Over 40 titles. :cripes: Would holding both kingdom titles be a major hurdle?
You have less than that. When you inherit through a Crusade, it kicks everybody out -- including the Barons, Mayors, and Bishops. Go through each province generating new vassals for all the holdings, so that you'll be left with only the actual noble titles. Then you can figure out who gets what.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Anyone tried playing as that Jewish Count in Itil?
It really sucks.

My initial plan was to swear fealty to the Jewish Duke next door and together become big enough to scare away the Tengris. But unfortunately you need 50 prestige to swear fealty and you start with 20.
So I needed a couple of bribes and reloads before I managed a start where both my Tengri neighbours (Wallachia and Cumania) left me alone and fought each other instead. At the same time Alania imploded, I holy warred them and after I got all their stuff, I swore fealty to the King of Georgia instead. From there I plan to plot myself to the Crown (I am the biggest and strongest vassal now) and then holy war whoever looks weak, until I get to Jerusalem..

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Bishop Rodan posted:

I'm sure this has already been asked a thousand times, but who's the best/easiest Norse character to play as in the Old Gods start?

In Vanilla CK2, it's Ivar the Boneless. Within the first 10 years you can own all of Ireland, half of England, most of Denmark. In CK2+, it's Ivar the Boneless as you can still get half of England and most of Denmark in the first 10 years.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
So I was just screwing and decided to survey how the rest of the world was doing when I noticed that Scotland had the wrong name on it. Checked out the King of France noticed he was married to the Byzantine Empress and that his son is set to inherit a pretty impressive chunk of the map.

:stare:
King Treveur also has a claim on Aquitaine he could press and his son is Second in line to inherit Scotland. Course I doubt he'll be able to keep a stable Byzantine Empire but still pretty impressive for the AI.

Also of note is that the Karlings managed to lose all of their titles except for the Kingdom of Lotharingia and a few counties therein.

Oh and question I had an event fire saying that the Jomsvikings have formed but I havent noticed anything different at all. I assumed they were either a merc company or Norse holy warriors but I havent seen them.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Any other nerds ever quote Breaking Bad when someone betrays them or warns them? Alone, by myself, at my computer, quoting TV shows to a game that can't hear me...

MoreLikeTen
Oct 21, 2012

The farmer's mistake was believing he had any control over his life.
If it's CKII confession time, I only ever play shattered world. I like seeing the way the map rearranges itself into completely bizarre patterns, and you can skip the long climb to the top that comes with being a vassal

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Holding jerusalem would give you a foreign ruler penalty and generally be a pain in the rear end to protect once the Muslims want it back. I'd give it off to a family member. Let them deal with it.

My current game has involved four completely succesful crusades *despite* the HRE completely disolving sometime around the year 1125.

Christendom now currently holds Jerusalem, Egypt, Africa and Mauriantia, as well myself and the Kings of Castile have evicted the Muslims from Spain. The lack of the HRE has been amazing though as I have been able to turn England into a massive red blob (I am currently King of England, Brittany, Wales, Aragon, Andalusia, Portugal and Denmark,) having conquered England as the Duke of Brittany :black101:

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 22, 2013

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

CapnAndy posted:

You have less than that. When you inherit through a Crusade, it kicks everybody out -- including the Barons, Mayors, and Bishops. Go through each province generating new vassals for all the holdings, so that you'll be left with only the actual noble titles. Then you can figure out who gets what.

Barons are actual nobles. :colbert:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

"Nobles".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Any Average Joe can be a baron, but it takes a real Crusader to be a king.

:smug:

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

The only way to secure my dream is to save up enough cash, and assassin every last member of a Dynasty- so brutal. I've been working on a family tree and I want to see who is heir of the family based on the different rules of succession now.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

If they aren't playable, they aren't nobles.

Although I wish I could play as a Baron. Or a non-Patrician Mayor.

The Battle Axe
Mar 30, 2011

MoreLikeTen posted:

If it's CKII confession time, I only ever play shattered world. I like seeing the way the map rearranges itself into completely bizarre patterns, and you can skip the long climb to the top that comes with being a vassal

I do this too. My last game had the kingdom of Burgundy control most of Europe, which was one of the very few kingdoms that the AI formed. Of course I crushed then eventually, but it's really neat starting with a somewhat level playing field and seeing how the world turns out.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

SpRahl posted:

Oh and question I had an event fire saying that the Jomsvikings have formed but I havent noticed anything different at all. I assumed they were either a merc company or Norse holy warriors but I havent seen them.

I think that if you're a Norse character who controls one of the Counties they can show up in, they'll be your vassal.
I actually saw them try a Holy War for Normandy at one point. They were doing quite well until France sorted out their other wars and called the rest of the Karlings into the dogpile.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I had the Jomsvikings as my vassals but this was before they fixed them not changing to reformed Norse so after I reformed the staunchly Old Norse Jomsvikings caused more problems for me than all of my other vassals combined.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So I haven't played this game in like a year but just got the itch again after seeing the Idle Thumbs guys fumble their way through their first game. I saw that there's some new DLC like the old kings stuff, but any huge, major gameplay changes that I should be aware of?

e: Oh and CKII+ still pretty much required? I saw that Wiz isn't working on it anymore on account of working on the actual game, but does the mod still have a ton of useful stuff that's not in the vanilla game?

VDay fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 23, 2013

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Dauntasa posted:

I had the Jomsvikings as my vassals but this was before they fixed them not changing to reformed Norse so after I reformed the staunchly Old Norse Jomsvikings caused more problems for me than all of my other vassals combined.

Hmm that might be similar what happened, this is in an old savegame from before the last patch. I had already reformed and then awhile ago I got a message saying the Jomsvikings have been formed but as I said earlier I couldnt find them in the mercenary or holy warrior tabs. So I searched for the title in the title finder and found that they had a holding in Pomerania and that they were "old Norse" rather than reformed despite the fact that there was only a single county in the entire game that was ruled by an Old Norse ruler. I dunno if that part of the patch is supposed to affect earlier savegames or not though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I ran into an interesting thing the other day. I was playing as Rurik. I had multiple sons, but I had given out all but one of my county titles to vassals, so only my eldest would inherit. The only titles I had were the county and duchy of Holmgarthr, and I didn't have an alert warning me of title loss on succession.

Then I created the Kingdom of Rus. Immediately the title loss alert popped up and told me that my second son would inherit my duchy. My eldest would still inherit the county and kingdom though. What do you think happened when Rurik died?

(if you guessed "all the counties within the duchy of Holmgarthr become independent", you win a fabulous prize!)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

VDay posted:

So I haven't played this game in like a year but just got the itch again after seeing the Idle Thumbs guys fumble their way through their first game. I saw that there's some new DLC like the old kings stuff, but any huge, major gameplay changes that I should be aware of?

e: Oh and CKII+ still pretty much required? I saw that Wiz isn't working on it anymore on account of working on the actual game, but does the mod still have a ton of useful stuff that's not in the vanilla game?
Not huge, but... it's very different now. Read this, but we're only just getting started.

CKII+ is not required at all any more.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
So I was working on the Norse tutorial LP when this happened.

Play Vikings. Go Berserk. Eat a loving table :black101:

Also, I'm a retard who just discovered that Steam's screenshot function is absolute horseshit and you should use the in-game F11 screenshot function instead. Everything comes out already in PNG format.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

beefart posted:

So I was working on the Norse tutorial LP when this happened.

Play Vikings. Go Berserk. Eat a loving table :black101:

Also, I'm a retard who just discovered that Steam's screenshot function is absolute horseshit and you should use the in-game F11 screenshot function instead. Everything comes out already in PNG format.

...I suppose I can't hold back on buying TOG anymore.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I'm jealous, I just played a full game to the end date as Norse and I never even got the Berserker trait, let alone a table chewing event.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Speaking of Shattered World(I also mostly play it, it's just more fun for me fighting against other self-made masters of the world), does anyone know what it would take to create a TOG-start Shattered World type scenario? I've searched around and been unable to find anything that works. I'd also like a non-CK2+ based Shattered World, and haven't been able to find one.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

CapnAndy posted:

Not huge, but... it's very different now. Read this, but we're only just getting started.

CKII+ is not required at all any more.

It's kind of required if you got used to the way it works and vanilla seems like some kind of bizarre joke game where you can just press random claims for dudes and get them as vassals and have like 10 held counties. Plus laws and factions are actually interesting to manage.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

RabidWeasel posted:

It's kind of required if you got used to the way it works and vanilla seems like some kind of bizarre joke game where you can just press random claims for dudes and get them as vassals and have like 10 held counties. Plus laws and factions are actually interesting to manage.

Or perhaps you could just choose not to powergame. Even if I am playing a conquest I don't use this particular method to expand, and I don't think that most people simply land courtiers with claim in a barony to press their claims (which is not hat easy, you don't always have a barony/county to give away). Also there is nothing wrong with being able to hold 10 counties as a good stewardship emperor with high legalism.

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011
I still don't really understand what CK2+ actually does, or what its biggest changes are. At first I thought it just made some balance tweaks and added more flavour events and traits, but it seems to be a much bigger overhaul than that, and for me personally (being still somewhat new to the game), I'm not sure if the changes it makes are quite suitable for me yet.

I have been looking at the Project Balance mod along with VIET and that seems to be much more towards what I'm looking for. Has anyone used those two and got any thoughts on either of them?

Thanks!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Trauma Tank posted:

Speaking of Shattered World(I also mostly play it, it's just more fun for me fighting against other self-made masters of the world), does anyone know what it would take to create a TOG-start Shattered World type scenario? I've searched around and been unable to find anything that works. I'd also like a non-CK2+ based Shattered World, and haven't been able to find one.

Go look for the Titular Title Generator. It basically can generate new random shattered world style scenarios. I assume it will do an Old Gods one.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

londonmoose posted:

I still don't really understand what CK2+ actually does, or what its biggest changes are. At first I thought it just made some balance tweaks and added more flavour events and traits, but it seems to be a much bigger overhaul than that, and for me personally (being still somewhat new to the game), I'm not sure if the changes it makes are quite suitable for me yet.

I have been looking at the Project Balance mod along with VIET and that seems to be much more towards what I'm looking for. Has anyone used those two and got any thoughts on either of them?

Thanks!

Project Balance is a bigger overhaul than CK2+, imo. The main thrust of CK2+ is bullying the AI into behaving better, so that the HRE is less likely to blob into a continent-spanning primogeniture monarchy, or that factions are actually important now. PB, by contrast, adds in a lot more traits (voice, handedness, etc.), cultures (Notably in Italy) and I think changes the UI itself as well. Not to mention all the events and so forth.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Fintilgin posted:

Go look for the Titular Title Generator. It basically can generate new random shattered world style scenarios. I assume it will do an Old Gods one.

Woah wait what? I've used that previously, and never realised it could do a shattered world thing. Gonna have to get the latest version when I get home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

So uh, is there any way to get rid of possessed, or does it go away on its own, because I'm not sure how I'm supposed to make Holland the richest duchy in the Holy Roman Empire while depressed and possessed.

edit: that image was really big

• Locked thread