Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Uuuuuuuhhh no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bimmi posted:

Uuuuuuuhhh no.

Quit it with the doom and gloom then. The Master Grade line isn't dying, and Gundam is doing better in America than it has in years.

If you're really worried, buy some Master Grades at Barnes and Noble.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I might, once they get some that I'm actually interested in.

And I'm just going by history, bucko. If Gundam couldn't find an audience here with TV support and a full publicity push I don't see how its chances are any better now. And I think you may underestimate just how bad discounting stock to less than 10% of its original value looks on the bottom line and elsewhere.

edit: I don't want to imply that I care overmuch what happens to Gunpla at B&N or "being right' or any of that bullshit, hell I hope I'm completely wrong but it's not really going to affect me one way or another. I'm just feeling a bit tetchy because yet another kit I wanted is a MOTHER loving WEB EXCLUSIVE.

edit x2: and because I missed out on $2 RGs at Barnes & Noble, ffffuuuuuuuuuuhhh

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 15, 2015

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

My anecdote is to say that the Hobbytown USA near where I live stocks gunpla, and is apparently one of its biggest sellers. Gundam is clearly entering a golden age of plamo in America. :911::hf::japan:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Thass cool. Whereabouts do you live?

We used to have lots of good places to get Gunpla in SoCal but they all went under years ago.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Bimmi posted:

I might, once they get some that I'm actually interested in.

And I'm just going by history, bucko. If Gundam couldn't find an audience here with TV support and a full publicity push I don't see how its chances are any better now. And I think you may underestimate just how bad discounting stock to less than 10% of its original value looks on the bottom line and elsewhere.

edit: I don't want to imply that I care overmuch what happens to Gunpla at B&N or "being right' or any of that bullshit, hell I hope I'm completely wrong but it's not really going to affect me one way or another. I'm just feeling a bit tetchy because yet another kit I wanted is a MOTHER loving WEB EXCLUSIVE.

edit x2: and because I missed out on $2 RGs at Barnes & Noble, ffffuuuuuuuuuuhhh

The two situations are completely different. Dropping dozens of loving Mandala Gundam action figures into the toy aisle at Target vs. selling a small number of clearly pre-selected model kits at specialty stores. The latter is way smarter.

Warmachine posted:

My anecdote is to say that the Hobbytown USA near where I live stocks gunpla, and is apparently one of its biggest sellers. Gundam is clearly entering a golden age of plamo in America. :911::hf::japan:

Every single comic book shop in Houston greatly expanded their Gundam selection last year. From a handful of kits shoved in a corner to dozens of kits prominently displayed.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kalamazoo, Michigan. Couldn't tell you why if it is an anomaly, aside from it being a college town.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, the Hobby Town by me has seemed to be slowly growing not just it's gunpla section, but all sorts of sci-fi models like Space Battleship Yamato and poo poo.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Kalamazoo, Michigan. Couldn't tell you why if it is an anomaly, aside from it being a college town.

Jeebus, I went to college there. It IS an anomaly, but drat if there isn't a following. Having lived in several college towns, I have no idea why it's such an anomaly. Maybe Western attendees are weird? It's not the same in other college towns. Even in Austin, TX.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Hobbytown used to be just about the only hobby shops around here that didn't carry robots of one sort or another. How times do change.

Austin was terrible for Gunpla in 1997, dunno how they are now.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Bimmi posted:

Hobbytown used to be just about the only hobby shops around here that didn't carry robots of one sort or another. How times do change.

Austin was terrible for Gunpla in 1997, dunno how they are now.

Both Hobbytown and King's Hobby generally carry Gunpla. King's is pretty overpriced most of the time, but Hobbytown has recently come down a bit on price, making it almost worth it sometimes, depending on the kit. They used to charge more than HLJ + shipping + tax.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Might as well ask since it's related to the topic of discussion, what the hell killed model kits in the mainstream in the US?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Warmachine posted:

Go To The Old Gibson Factory Now

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

There's a local store here with a surprisingly good stock of gunpla. Haven't bought anything there yet because being a beginner and gunpla-only builder seems awkward in a store with most of the floorspace devoted to rc and model trains. Kinda surprised to see a hobbytown in my state, though it's 2 hours away in a smaller town and again every post on the Facebook page is rc, lol.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Where do they keep gunpla in B&N? I've checked a bunch of them in SE Michigan and I can never find them/I sound like an insane person trying to explain that I'm looking for tiny plastic Japanese robots to build to the employees.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

BXCX posted:

Where do they keep gunpla in B&N? I've checked a bunch of them in SE Michigan and I can never find them/I sound like an insane person trying to explain that I'm looking for tiny plastic Japanese robots to build to the employees.

Look for the puzzles, X-Wing miniatures, etc. They should be near there. If you see Dragon Ball Z or Sailro Moon toys, they should be right there

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

BXCX posted:

They should be by the games, puzzles, and other building toys etc. I still sometimes walk past the aisle and have to go back through the section again.

VV: poo poo that's fancy. no displays at mine, just one side of those gray metal shelves with kits.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
In a display like this

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Picked up my first few gunpla from B&N early on, and then I learned that Robot4Less isn't far from where I live so I swing by there every now and then.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

BXCX posted:

They might not have them in your area. Even in Austin, they apparently are only on the south end. I checked a B&N on the north end the other week, and they still don't carry them. Gunpla at Barnes is still far from a universal thing. Lots of Legos. though, so I guess there's that.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

boom boom boom posted:

In a display like this

Those are surprisingly well-posed, considering.

Ka0 posted:

Might as well ask since it's related to the topic of discussion, what the hell killed model kits in the mainstream in the US?

Videogames.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

You say that like it was mainstream in the first place, but yeah, I can remember Toys backward R US and Walmart having shelves of kits when I was a kid. Offhand I'd say that they are bulky, fragile, niche, low-margin items. It seems a little too pat but personally I think video games did a lot to move in on their space (as they did with so many other things) as they have the same target market (males age 8-35) and are basically the polar opposite in every way except maybe for requiring fine motor control (which matters not at all to retailers).

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Midjack posted:

You say that like it was mainstream in the first place, but yeah, I can remember Toys backward R US and Walmart having shelves of kits when I was a kid. Offhand I'd say that they are bulky, fragile, niche, low-margin items. It seems a little too pat but personally I think video games did a lot to move in on their space (as they did with so many other things) as they have the same target market (males age 8-35) and are basically the polar opposite in every way except maybe for requiring fine motor control (which matters not at all to retailers).

Even places like Hobby Lobby and Michaels have mostly sworn the things off. At least, compared to what they used to stock.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Model kits absolutely were mainstream when I was a kid. Monogram car models, huge. Aurora monsters, huge. Whatever cheap poo poo Lindberg was pushing, double huge. I remember when Toys 'R' Us would have both sides of a full-length aisle devoted to model kits of every imaginable kind, and they generally didn't even carry the high-end stuff the proper hobby shops had. And they were everywhere else too, department stores, drug stores, 7-11s, you name it.

It's been a long, long fall. There's a reason most of the remaining scale modelers in the US are ossifying greybeards like myself. It was a different era entirely, and only traces remain.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

boom boom boom posted:

Every single comic book shop in Houston greatly expanded their Gundam selection last year. From a handful of kits shoved in a corner to dozens of kits prominently displayed.

Do tell, I'm really tired of driving all the way out to the hobbytown on the west side in the middle of nowhere

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way

Suzaku posted:

They might not have them in your area. Even in Austin, they apparently are only on the south end. I checked a B&N on the north end the other week, and they still don't carry them. Gunpla at Barnes is still far from a universal thing. Lots of Legos. though, so I guess there's that.

I'm guessing this is the case, maybe Metro Detroit isn't ready for impulse buy gunpla. I'll just have to keep waiting for two day prime shipping instead :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Metro Hobbies (formerly the Victorian Hobby Center) in Melbourne has really upped their game over the last few years. They mostly used to just stock UC stuff, but now they get all the new-release stuff within weeks (instead of about 3 months later), along with the accessory stuff like the System Weapon and the Build Custom packs.

Have you considered that maybe the reason some B&N stores are dropping the kits is because they don't do well in individual stores while others are having better sales?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

chutche2 posted:

I made a thing

I didn't put a lot of time into the nub marks because of how huge they are and how cheap the kit is, I sanded them down smooth but the ones around the neck are really obnoxious

Last page, but you should sand the nubs before you snap together, and start with a higher grit sanding stick/file. When you sand pieces individually you can get much better angles to get a smooth finish. If you start with rough grit, clean up with medium grit, and polish by wet sanding with super fine grit, those nub marks won't know what hit em!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyzqjTesJ-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJmPRnelZAY

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Swagger Dagger posted:

Do tell, I'm really tired of driving all the way out to the hobbytown on the west side in the middle of nowhere

Third Planet and the Bedrock City locations on Westheimer or Bay Area Boulevard have a ton, From Bedrock City's facebook, this is their Westheimer location

The other Bedrock cities have a lot too, if not to that degree.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Metro Hobbies (formerly the Victorian Hobby Center) in Melbourne has really upped their game over the last few years. They mostly used to just stock UC stuff, but now they get all the new-release stuff within weeks (instead of about 3 months later), along with the accessory stuff like the System Weapon and the Build Custom packs.

Have you considered that maybe the reason some B&N stores are dropping the kits is because they don't do well in individual stores while others are having better sales?

I don't think any Barnes and Noble location has stopped selling Gundam kits, it's just that some of them never started. And the kits that went on clearance were the old HG Deathscythe Hell Custom and Wing Zero Custom, and the RG Destiny and Strike Freedom, and that was the same at every location.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

boom boom boom posted:

I don't think any Barnes and Noble location has stopped selling Gundam kits, it's just that some of them never started. And the kits that went on clearance were the old HG Deathscythe Hell Custom and Wing Zero Custom, and the RG Destiny and Strike Freedom, and that was the same at every location.

Ahhh. I'd have thought the RG's would've sold okay though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

boom boom boom posted:

I don't think any Barnes and Noble location has stopped selling Gundam kits, it's just that some of them never started.

This is my current situation; the closest Barnes & Noble is like an hour's drive away, and they have no Gunpla. :(

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's possible they over-ordered those two, but a discount that sharp basically means it would have been more expensive to burn them.

(someone in the Reddit thread mentioned passing an old lady carrying a basket full of RG Destinys only to find that she'd cleaned the place out: wanna meet that old lady)

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!

Bimmi posted:

It's possible they over-ordered those two, but a discount that sharp basically means it would have been more expensive to burn them.

(someone in the Reddit thread mentioned passing an old lady carrying a basket full of RG Destinys only to find that she'd cleaned the place out: wanna meet that old lady)

Keep in mind that those kits have been on clearance since around the end of April. They were marked down as part of the Spring toy/gift seasonal stuff, and the $2 price is what all of that stuff is since it's just taking up floorspace if it hasn't sold by now. I picked up my Destiny back at the start of that at $17, the Strike Freedom was $20 or so. So it isn't like they were just throwing the things out, they've done what every retail store does with unsold clearance.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They must've sold OK, B&N sells the RG exia now.

Astro Creep posted:

Keep in mind that those kits have been on clearance since around the end of April. They were marked down as part of the Spring toy/gift seasonal stuff, and the $2 price is what all of that stuff is since it's just taking up floorspace if it hasn't sold by now. I picked up my Destiny back at the start of that at $17, the Strike Freedom was $20 or so. So it isn't like they were just throwing the things out, they've done what every retail store does with unsold clearance.

Barnes and Noble started selling Gundam models April last year, if anything it's impressive how much of the range they offer is still selling a year later.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Those 4 kits, I'm pretty sure, are the oldest kits they stocked. When my B&N first got gunpla in stock it was only those 4 kits plus some MG stuff.

peeNamaste posted:

Last page, but you should sand the nubs before you snap together, and start with a higher grit sanding stick/file. When you sand pieces individually you can get much better angles to get a smooth finish. If you start with rough grit, clean up with medium grit, and polish by wet sanding with super fine grit, those nub marks won't know what hit em!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyzqjTesJ-Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJmPRnelZAY

I usually start at 600 then go to 1000, 1500, and 2000. I haven't tried wet sanding though. I just use a bit of water to wipe the dust off now and then.

I just didn't bother doing the whole range of it because usually when there's marks that huge it never goes away completely, didn't seem worth the effort.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 15, 2015

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Suzaku posted:

Both Hobbytown and King's Hobby generally carry Gunpla. King's is pretty overpriced most of the time, but Hobbytown has recently come down a bit on price, making it almost worth it sometimes, depending on the kit. They used to charge more than HLJ + shipping + tax.

I haven't seen anything at King's when I went half a year ago. No sci-fi models at all.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

chutche2 posted:

I just didn't bother doing the whole range of it because usually when there's marks that huge it never goes away completely, didn't seem worth the effort.

That's 'cause you skipped #800, #1000 is basically one step above a polishing grit.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Bimmi posted:

That's 'cause you skipped #800, #1000 is basically one step above a polishing grit.

Fair enough, I'll order some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Bimmi posted:

GrrrrrrraaAARRRRGHHH (rends garment):

Oh man this is exactly my poo poo :smith:

What is the process of getting a web shop exclusive anyways? Is it a crapshoot if you aren't Japanese? Are supplies super low? Does importing cost a lot?