Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Acerbatus posted:

Fun fact, the index ai is literally called indextargeting and can be given to any receptioj by setting it to yes instead of no.
Not exactly correct, index ai script is called theIndex but it could be given to anyone by editing enemy data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Acerbatus posted:

Fun fact, the index ai is literally called indextargeting and can be given to any receptioj by setting it to yes instead of no.

It was that or left to the viewer I think, yeah. I've heard it both ways but haven't seen the source myself.

I think that was enabled by non gendered pronouns being more common in Korean though but that's just speculative.

Well, from the creator of the comic:

https://twitter.com/whitezombies_MI/status/1278892563240415232?s=20&t=Tw89phr0LsnLEKzxPPXM9Q

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
Mr. Black looks incredible in Oscar's page. Very Castlevania/Bloodborne.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
Other people have mostly covered the Index pages but I just want to defend a few of them that people are bullying.

First let's talk about Proselyte's Blade. The -3 power on combat start is awful, and can't even be used to block Mass Attacks. However it does have, at this point, two secret and very marginal uses, with a couple more coming in future. To some degree this also applies to it's cousin Night in the Backstreets as well.

Use #1: Use it to intentionally lose clashes. Losing clashes, for either fight gimmicks like Queen of Hatred or to get strong negative emotion cards like Obsession, can be useful and the -3 power penalty helps a lot with losing clashes.

Use #2: Its base dice are actually comparable to a 3 or even a 4 cost card, so copying them with Brawl is pretty good.

Undertake Prescript is also getting slept on here. Not only are 4-7 4-6 2-5 rolls good for a 2-cost at this point, not only does the Blunt slant let you put synergies like Metallic Ringing to good effect, but it is also a three offensive dice 2-cost. At this point in the game the only other 2-cost that has three of those is Sunset Blade, which has far worse rolls. Having three offensive dice means that Strength bonuses, like from Observe(also good with Metallic Ringing), are much more powerful and makes them able to output a lot of damage and on-hit effects when used one-sidedly.

Something to note about Singleton decks is that, unlike most other 'archetypes', Singleton decks are not very restrictive at all. You can do a Singleton Bleed deck or a Singleton Burn deck or any number of things, as long as you don't have duplicate cards. This lets you mess around with more cool new cards, instead of only having 3-4 distinct cards in your whole deck. This is why I don't think that the 'dominance' of Singleton decks is actually a problem, because it doesn't actually keep deckbuilding from being interesting, and opens up more opportunities to mess around with things.

Also something to note is that this latest fight demonstrates why Bind/Haste are so good. Sometimes you just get hosed and can't redirect attacks due to pure bad luck, and end up taking a lot of damage. If you can use speed manipulation to be able to consistently redirect attacks, then you will take a lot less damage.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MiiNiPaa posted:

Not exactly correct, index ai script is called theIndex but it could be given to anyone by editing enemy data.

I could've sworn it was indextargeting but I went back and looked at the PM discord and I evidently just mandella'd myself. I got into an argument over if a couple of certain fights would actually be challenging with it or not. :v:

Ah yeah, that could be read either way if there wasn't any further followup. I stopped following them on twitter after that whole doxing meltdown.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

TeeQueue posted:

That's because Proselytes are the lowest of the low, and we only saw four of them. If something like the Thumb or Middle send an army at us, we'd be in some real trouble.

And the less said about the Ring, the better.

I'm sure Netzach would HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE the Ring.

TeeQueue posted:

"If you feel an abdominal pain and a tingling sensation in your neck, the best thing you can do now is look at the great blue sky you'll never get to see again."

NOT THE BEES!!! THEY'RE IN MY EYES!!!

(said by someone who immediately voted for the bees, btw)

Guess we'll see Malkuth's final Abnormality. Assuming you don't get any Abnormalities once the team is full.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
At least Queen Bee won't trigger Bishop's curiosity as to why he remembers how certain Abnormalities behaved when they weren't in the facility-Queen Bee was in the LobCorp LP's batch of Abnos.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like it says something that even if the Proselytes are the lowest of the low for the Index, just think how many there are and how powerful they are compared to a normal human EG the Rats or Finn.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Lunatic 0verlord posted:

Guess we'll see Malkuth's final Abnormality. Assuming you don't get any Abnormalities once the team is full.

Each team has five Abnormalities. This isn't something that's really a spoiler, because you can boot up a fresh file and thumb through Abnormality pages and see there's five sections.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Lunatic 0verlord posted:

There are five slots for abnormalities under "abnormality pages" section of UI for a given floor. Malkuth currently has 3 out of 5 filled and two more are closed by locks.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Lunatic 0verlord posted:

And the less said about the Ring, the better.

no ring

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Get your rear end back over to mafia and post!

(just a joke :v:)

I'm glad someone I like is playing this game for me because the more crap is added in the more I'm like "Yeah Im barely following mechanics any more"
Just basking in the weird story and loving it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
If Burn or Bleed kills an enemy, is the +3 Positive Emotion Coin bonus essentially wasted? Or will it go to whoever inflicted it, or in Bleed's case whoever the offensive dice that activated the Bleed that killed them was aimed at?

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

Materant posted:

Each team has five Abnormalities. This isn't something that's really a spoiler, because you can boot up a fresh file and thumb through Abnormality pages and see there's five sections.

MiiNiPaa posted:

There are five slots for abnormalities under "abnormality pages" section of UI for a given floor. Malkuth currently has 3 out of 5 filled and two more are closed by locks.

Oh. Guess I didn't check the UI enough.

Sorry.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022

Acerbatus posted:

I feel like it says something that even if the Proselytes are the lowest of the low for the Index, just think how many there are and how powerful they are compared to a normal human EG the Rats or Finn.

The very fact that mere PROSELYTES, the LOWEST LEVEL GRUNTS, are THIS TOUGH makes me dread the idea of how much carnage Gloria would commit in the Library.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Appendix 20: Index Proselytes

An Index Proselyte’s Page posted:

No two Prescripts are the same in any way; as well as their contents being completely different from each other, you can’t expect when and where you’ll receive one. It could be placed between the patties of the hamburger you’re holding, it could be in your mailbox, it could be handed to you by a passerby. However, if you question who delivers those Prescripts or where they come from and put your curiosity into action, the Proxies will come for you, so beware. Here’s a few examples of the Prescripts:

‘To Rimi, Deliver a bacon pizza to Danny’s doorstep on 8th St. before 10 AM sharp on September 14th.’

‘To Jimin, Do not utter a single word for five days.’

‘To Sehee, If the first person you meet outside today answers your greetings by lifting their right hand, take their heart out; if the person ignores your greetings, remove your own heart from your body.’

…And this is only scratching the surface of the shambolic orders written on the Prescripts. The contents of a Prescript range from ordinary tasks to things that cannot be carried out in relatively normal (in terms of morality) means… The arrant variety and creativity of the Prescripts will make you wonder just what goes on in the head of the person responsible for writing them. Take a moment to think about how you would feel if you received a Prescript that says ‘Chop off your right ankle and eat it medium rare. (P.S. You don't have to eat the bones.)’ You’d think this is an absurd instruction no sane person could follow, but those who belong to the Index will feel glad that it doesn’t require chopping off both feet or eating the bones.

Lunatic 0verlord
Apr 9, 2022
Man, Prescripts are WEIRD.

I do wonder what would a game all about following Prescripts would be like...

Anyone else think the same?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Lunatic 0verlord posted:

Man, Prescripts are WEIRD.

Anyone else think the same?

A very bizarre point and click adventure where the goal is to survive completing every mission.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Lord_Magmar posted:

A very bizarre point and click adventure where the goal is to survive completing every mission.

The game is endless, the goal is to keep going until you get a prescript that will 100% kill you.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

BisbyWorl posted:

The game is endless, the goal is to keep going until you get a prescript that will 100% kill you.

Should have the real old school stuff where if you don't get something from the first screen you cannot complete the 20th, and there's no going backwards.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I won't say I only used Will of the Prescripts with related characters but I came pretty close to it. That wasn't totally busted. I am curious as to whether or not anybody would even try singleton decks without it.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

Junpei posted:

If Burn or Bleed kills an enemy, is the +3 Positive Emotion Coin bonus essentially wasted? Or will it go to whoever inflicted it, or in Bleed's case whoever the offensive dice that activated the Bleed that killed them was aimed at?
Yes, it is wasted. Both Burn and Bleed pass none as Attacker when calling TakeDamage method.

Lunatic 0verlord posted:

"Break that puppy's neck, would you kindly?"

Interestingly enough, repetition of meaningless tasks is a form of conditioning, used, among other things, in armies all over the world to teach you to unquestionably follow orders. And, as last sentence in Index page shows, it works. While Index uses different approach than the Thumb, both ultimately exert some form of control on population of their territory. Now I wonder, how other Fingers do it.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'd play reskinned Hades with the pacts being prescripts.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

The thread has spoken! Next up, we do Malkuth's fourth Abnormality battle.

Bees. My god.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

habituallyred posted:

I won't say I only used Will of the Prescripts with related characters but I came pretty close to it. That wasn't totally busted. I am curious as to whether or not anybody would even try singleton decks without it.

As mentioned I have, largely because I kind of missed Will of the Prescript entirely for some reason.

It says something that my Singleton decks didn't feel particularly weaker than my other decks even missing its major card.....

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I think Papers Please is sort of along the lines of following prescripts. You have a series of arbitrary rules to follow that change on a daily basis, and failure to comply with them can end up with dire consequences. It's not as draconian, but you do find yourself changing your perspective as you play.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

The thread has spoken! Next up, we do Malkuth's fourth Abnormality battle.

Bees. My god.

Challenge: show everything this battle has to offer in a single fight.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

MiiNiPaa posted:

Challenge: show everything this battle has to offer in a single fight.

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

nah.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
I have a better challenge:

Only one Singleton deck per floor, max :colbert:

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Theantero posted:

I have a better challenge:

Only one Singleton deck per floor, max :colbert:

That sounds perfectly reasonab—hold up, someone's at the door.

Upon further reflection, I have decided that I must remain alluringly mysterious about my plans for reasons completely unrelated to me being a loser nerd. Which I am not.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

TeeQueue posted:

Upon further reflection, I have decided that I must remain alluringly mysterious about my plans for reasons completely unrelated to me being a loser nerd. Which I am not.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

in honor of BEES and TQ's excellent fanart I present you with a twist no one would expect: TQ gets a second Prescript. And who is this mysterious person delivering it?? We may never know...

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

I think my wife would prefer I remain maidenless, but I will absolutely hold this L.

Evil Kit posted:

in honor of BEES and TQ's excellent fanart I present you with a twist no one would expect: TQ gets a second Prescript. And who is this mysterious person delivering it?? We may never know...

oh my loving god i legitimately forgot about that poster and i nearly spat out my drink, well played. :roflolmao:

Ariamaki
Jun 30, 2011

"I'm the most powerful
search engine in the world!"
-- The GoogleProg

Evil Kit posted:

Aaah truly the stench of something........ :moreevil:

Will being such a centralizing card is very interesting for a game with only nine-card decks: On the one hand, that's a lot.
On the other hand, this is a game where one of the card rarities is already limited to 1 copy: Do we have any idea how many total combat pages in the game (player-facing ones, anyways) are classed as Objet d'art?
I agree with the stance I have seen a few others post that, if there were a balance pass, the correct designer response would probably be to elevate non-Singleton options by introducing more unique interactions for duplicate-heavy decks.

If we're already working with mechanics that mirror card game formats, a Pauper-esque series of Key Pages and powers that only work on low-rarity bases or with low-value cards could be an interesting direction for a mod.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

On a quick check there's 50ish Objet d'Art cards that can be put into decks, but a lot of those are key page specific if I recall correctly.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

dervival posted:

On a quick check there's 50ish Objet d'Art cards that can be put into decks, but a lot of those are key page specific if I recall correctly.

And of those, we have four. Scratch That, Crack of Dawn, and the two Sweeper cards.

Ashardalon125
Apr 14, 2021
It is worth noting that, as some other people have pointed out, there do come some deck types later on that do encourage more duplicate decks. Singleton is a huge change up in the mid-late game, but while it continues to be good for a long time (seriously, I carried most of the mid-late game with Execute on Slash Focused Hod), it doesn't become the only thing. A lot of the most powerful builds in the game *aren't* singleton.

A couple of rather famous late game builds rely on duplicate cards.

Xenav
Feb 21, 2012

After what we've seen, we're going to need more than THAT to save us...
*Sees tons of people gushing over 'Will of the Prescript'. Thinks back to own time playing* I'll be honest right now. I never actually noticed how good that card actually was. When people were talking about a broken card involving the Index, I personally was thinking of another card, and was immediately confused, since that card is much later in the game.

I just might be the dark horse, or the dim horse in the lineup, but I never really noticed the value of Will of the Prescript, and I think it was that 3-cost tagged on that really threw me out from wanting to use the card to effect.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Singleton will, eventually, fall off lategame when the rolls on Will of the Prescript become a liability on a 3-cost and alternative draw engines become available. But that just means it falls down to "top tier" from "objectively correct in all circumstances."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

For anyone wondering, how much powerful we became, here is the results of replaying earlier fight:
EGO Phillip got staggered on Scene 1, was almost killed on Scene 2, got staggered againg (still in Feather Shield mode) on Scene 3 and burned to death before Scene 4 started. Health and Stagger of my team never bothered me during all this.