Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Sorry if this has already come up - is Apex down for anyone/everyone else? I just get a sad little white circle on the first splash page...

EDIT: New page snipe to confirm that, if EA Help is to believed, the servers are currently kaput.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

TracerBullet posted:

Sorry if this has already come up - is Apex down for anyone/everyone else? I just get a sad little white circle on the first splash page...

EDIT: New page snipe to confirm that, if EA Help is to believed, the servers are currently kaput.

I'm home sick and this was sad to discover

(vomiting at 2am wasn't fun)

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I asked this before and never got an answer, can Wraith end her phase walk early?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

I asked this before and never got an answer, can Wraith end her phase walk early?
Nope.

TracerBullet posted:

Oh cool, I was gonna work from home today (aka play ApeLegs all day) but wound up going in to the office so :buddy:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

well, that's worse than useless.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Deviant posted:

goon hot takes never get old

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

It's the only true escape/"get me the gently caress outta this awful situation" ability in the game so it's really quite nice.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Run straight back at your team and they literally cannot do anything about it. But gently caress, its useless!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Deviant posted:

If used badly it can deposit you right in front of an enemy's shotgun, sure, but there are so, so many situations it's great for. Invulnerability on a panic button, even if it doesn't make you invisible, is great. You can also use it to move from cover to cover safely, use the speed boost + invuln to quickly and safely advance on an enemy, use it to safely move back to your team when you've overextended yourself, use it to revive an ally in a vulnerable spot, etc. And its cooldown timer is so low (15 seconds, holy poo poo!) that it feels like cheating.

Which reminds me, I really should play her more, but I love Bloodhound so much...

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Ability that makes you literally invincible and hard to spot for 3 seconds: worse than useless

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm getting...better

i rarely play fps games but i like the battle royale format and this is clicking with me. i'm still not twitchy, but my sense of awareness and willingness to drop into bumfuck as jumpmaster means a top-five finish is pretty normal even if i do zero damage. i'm starting to get used to using skills and would usually just hop around as pathfinder. but i got a cool bloodhound skin and so had to play him, and oh my god his ult is amazing combined with bangalore's smoke and a wingman. what a great experience just mowing people down, i wonder if i can get into that kind of situation every game

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
top 5 with 0 kills is like the worst way to play a BR change my mind

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

prom candy posted:

you're absolutely correct and teammates who instinctively run away from the distant shooting are so loving frustrating

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Ability that makes you literally invincible and hard to spot for 3 seconds: worse than useless

Now imagine if it didnt make you invincible and was an ult.

You are now playing Mirage

Minor edit: wraiths ability is good. Mirages ult is not to be clear.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

scuz posted:

It's the only true escape/"get me the gently caress outta this awful situation" ability in the game so it's really quite nice.

yeah and my teammates get loving blown up while i'm not shooting mans

ability that turns a 3v3 into a 2v3: good apparently?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Deviant posted:

then you're using it poorly and/or your team is bad

Deviant posted:

it is like straight up one of the best skills in the game and singlehandedly why wraith is probably the hottest pick in the game amongst top streamers. Stop being deliberately obtuse and pretending there are no good use cases for it - obviously if you use it in a bad situation it is bad.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

ZeusCannon posted:

Now imagine if it didnt make you invincible and was an ult.

You are now playing Mirage

Minor edit: wraiths ability is good. Mirages ult is not to be clear.

Mirage's ult is for engaging, not escaping. (this is not an argument for it being a good ult)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

prom candy posted:

i get over a hundred damage per game pretty consistently now!!

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

i say swears online posted:

i get over a hundred damage per game pretty consistently now!!

You're in a similar boat to me then. I'm happy if I get some damage done. Kills are a bonus.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Deviant posted:

Wait, you think an ability that helps keeps you from being killed (and thus causing a 2v3) is bad because it very temporarily causes a 2v3 that then can be a 3v3 with better positioning?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

prom candy posted:

you only get one lootbox every other level

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Every time you reposition or take cover or do anything that takes your sights off the enemy you're turning it into a 2v3, and your opponent is likewise, what the gently caress kind of analysis is this?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
what is your favorite skin for a gun you don't really like that much?

mastif w/ mega man skin

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

prom candy posted:

it's not even a very viable playstyle in this game since the only game mode is squads and 9/10 people want to just rush school and get it over with. Or uh "skull village"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sunken fleet posted:

it's not even a very viable playstyle in this game since the only game mode is squads and 9/10 people want to just rush school and get it over with. Or uh "skull village"

when i'm jumpmaster and ping way the gently caress on the other side of the map i only get pushback about half the time

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My favorite ult is Pathfinder's because you can use it to utterly surprise any team. Getting the drop on another team thanks to it is extremely satisfying.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SettingSun posted:

My favorite ult is Pathfinder's because you can use it to utterly surprise any team. Getting the drop on another team thanks to it is extremely satisfying.

can the enemy team hear a distant hookshot being set up? what if the end point is close to them, can they hear that?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

sunken fleet posted:

It's actually called the Bone Zone

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Deviant posted:

You should really be disengaging for a few seconds anyways in any normal engagement instead of staying outside of cover shooting until you die

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The Loot Packs have honestly treated me really good, I've gotten Gilbratar's butt slam and the Warp Zone mastiff skin out of them, as well as a few other cool things. I'm delighted.

tildes posted:

You should really be disengaging for a few seconds anyways in any normal engagement instead of staying outside of cover shooting until you die

And let my team die?!??! Buddy let's get serious here.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Morphix posted:

what is your favorite skin for a gun you don't really like that much?

mastif w/ mega man skin

The other side of the gun has a Titanfall 3 NES cartridge plugged into it

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

can the enemy team hear a distant hookshot being set up? what if the end point is close to them, can they hear that?

I've never heard an enemy Pathfinder set up a line, but it's extremely easy to place it in a very visible way and basically expose what you're trying to do, if I were to name a downside.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

If you can send your zipline up to a part of the map that the other team can't normally get to (those high walls on the military base, for instance) AND do it in such a way that your zipline gets swallowed by the ring AND the enemy team does not have a Pathfinder you can make the enemy team's life a living hell. Hang around up there with a decent medium/long range weapon and just plink people while your squad flanks and murders them, I've won several games with very bad shooters on my team just because of how powerful this tactic is.

Pathfinder Zipline Fortress is a very good strat in general but I've Got the High Ground (That You Can't Get To) makes it incredible.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Ugh, just had a super lovely bug. With the havoc equipped, it showed no extra ammo despite 120+ in my inventory. Even after firing, I couldn't reload it. So my teammates suggested dropped the weapon and re-equipping it which ended up crashing the game. We were in top 4 squads too.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
So apextab.com let’s you sort of get a stats tracker if you make your banner show games and kills (or whatever you want to track). It has also made it pretty clear that my stats with Wraith are way better than my other characters- it’s the only one where I average 2+ kills/match. I think the distribution is really skewed though, sort of like mortality rates in the Middle Ages— I tend to drop super hot so I either get a down or two and then die, or go on and get a bunch of kills later in the game. I really want my raw stats data to visualize this but RIP

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Tagichatn posted:

Ugh, just had a super lovely bug. With the havoc equipped, it showed no extra ammo despite 120+ in my inventory. Even after firing, I couldn't reload it. So my teammates suggested dropped the weapon and re-equipping it which ended up crashing the game. We were in top 4 squads too.

I hear ya on the crashing at bad times

sorry squad :(

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

17/60 players killed and every single one of those fights had us at a disadvantage - poor cover, low resources, etc. Eventually after the hardest loving fight ever I managed to grab a turbocharged Devotion and a Kraber.

My friend hated the Kraber because it's bolt action. He is insane. That gun is a loving monster even if you're bad at aiming like myself. I hadn't played as Wraith before so some of my portals were flubs and my teleport abilities left a lot to be desired (I wasn't alive at the end of the match because I tried to teleport behind the last two survivors and reappeared right in front of them) but goddamn was she fun.

Was hoping to get more kills but the sheer damage output I caused pleases me a lot. This game is so good gently caress me.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
had a really good moment yesterday, and my brother was around to witness it. i was with a team that dropped in skull town, almost immediately things went south, one of my team went down and i swung around the corner before they were eliminated and took out the person trying to finish them with a few wingman shots, switched to the peacekeeper i also had and turned around just in time for their last teammate to zoom in, who i blasted at point blank range to finish the squad.

absolute just right place at the right time for me but it still felt awesome to swoop in like the hero and wreck some fools before saving a teammate.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

If you mean grapple, yes, it's really loud and anyone paying attention will notice if you do it within 50-100m of them. Grapple is great for repositioning and moving around the fight (and the map in general), but it's not great for setting up an ambush unless the other team doesn't have ears. Of course, if you're moving in on an already-active firefight there's a much lower chance of them hearing it, and realizing that it's a new squad moving in.

Similarly the zipline is pretty loud - the actual setup isn't very noticeable, though I haven't had many occasions to hear an enemy pathfinder setting one up close to me. But actually using the zipline is pretty drat loud and if it's anywhere near the enemy they will hear you coming in on it. Good for positional advantage and flanking, very yes. Good for sneaking up? No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant wait to finish building my new PC, load up the game and make it to the last 2 squads only for it to crash