Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
That facility map the Claw has is really hosed up
  • A bloody hand reaching up (Malkuth)
  • A bleeding over neck collar (Yesod)
  • A noose (Hod)
  • An IV drip (Nezatch)
  • Two figures, one without a head (Tiphereth)
  • A mass of figures run over with blood (Chesed)
  • A bloody mess to the point it’s unrecognizable (Gebura)
  • A clock (Hokma)
  • A brain (Binah)
  • A single ordinary figure (Kether)

A subtle reminder as to how much of this facility was built on horrible atrocities.

Also probably would not be the best idea to try to launch WhiteNight into the Sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
When I saw the selection description for Der Freischutz, I thought "That sounds like they've just ported over Der Freischutz." And lo, they did. Even down to the seventh bullet curse. Although if I was designing it, the seventh shot would instead target your most powerful agent.

Der Freischutz happens to be my favorite thing to see anime reference for some reason.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

ShyGuy1231
Jan 7, 2021
Good god, Der Freischutz. Woe to the one who doesn't understand the myth and that it can hurt allies(such as me.)

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

:allears: I loved crumbling armor in my own run.
don't want to be careless with it, but that's true of just about abnormality.
Shame any gear less than WAW/ALEPH is asking for trouble at this point, the armor+sword it gives looked real snazzy on my backup beater.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

I am pretty sure it is a rite of passage for everyone to butcher half of their facility with that gun.

Note that the gun doesn't say it causes friendly fire and the game announces deaths without indicating what caused them. If you're not watching at the time, it's quite possible to butcher half your facility more than once.

Let's talk for a little while about the White Ordeals and just how well this game has been designed. The game gives you a chance to work out these new ordeals before the challenges of the following days, so let's discuss what can go wrong with each of them:

White Fixer: Seems straightforward, but consider the dangers of inattentiveness. If you set a deathball on her and then get distracted for a moment, the counterattack phase (which triggers several times) becomes a big risk, because you may have some heavy hitters who attack rapidly and can't absorb their own punches very well. Now consider that if you are inattentive for just a little too long, one or two of your big-damage employees will kill themselves, triggering the employee death panic, at which point the white damage caused by this Fixer goes from a nuisance to a genuine threat. While White is indeed one of the least dangerous White Ordeals, she's also likely to trigger mass panic that leads to a cascade failure across the facility if you aren't careful. That means leaving her for a quiet moment when possible, and makes the remaining threat that she'll kill clerks.

Red Fixer: That laser is the main threat. It does a lot of damage, across a wide area, and if you're dealing with another threat and don't notice Red wandering into a hallway below where you're fighting you can get a very unpleasant surprise. But it's the death throes attack that's really dangerous: if you haven't been careful with red bullets, you can end up in a worse-case scenario where Red starts his laser attack and wounds the employees killing him, then triggers a second one upon death. Two hits of 100 red damage in quick succession offers a real risk of killing someone if you're deathballing. TeeQueue, as expected, deploys the best tactic against Red by avoiding that problem entirely and sending fewer employees who can just ignore Red's attacks.

Black Fixer: Blends into the background a bit more than the other fixers, which I expect is intentional, because this one is mainly a threat through Meltdowns. Depending upon your facility, you may need to wait until Black moves into a different department to score the kill because you can't handle the Meltdowns from killing him. But late-game, you're pretty solid against Black damage, so the good news is that you can send a kill team and then ignore Black. The bad news is that if you do that and are slow responding to the Meltdowns, you can get a mass breakout that ruins the day completely. Black is also quite capable of killing clerks.

Pale Fixer: Odds are good that, if you have maximized your number of employees (5 per department except Architecture), some of them are in gear that is 1.5 or even 2.0 against pale damage, and that's where the Pale fixer can really do work. Even without that, you cannot just ignore this fight and concentrate your attention elsewhere, because the suitcase snake is genuinely dangerous and Pale's death throes can kill multiple employees easily. TeeQueue has finessed the pale damage problem by running with fewer employees with the best gear. (It is also possible to run with more employees if you maximize your EGO across multiple runs.)

The Claw: A very interesting Midnight. TeeQueue's smaller employee base prevented him from doing a simple deathball kill, but that's actually possible against the Claw, and I've done it. Dump all your employees behind him at the same time as he begins an injection cycle. If he triggers his charge, he escapes without doing any damage; otherwise, you trigger his stun, and if you can do enough damage you can kill him before he activates his counterattack. However, as TeeQueue's Youtube run demonstrates, there's no margin for error on that. But in theory, the Claw is the easiest of the Midnights to deal with. In practice, however, it requires a full deathball: if you lose a few employees prior to White Midnight, you can suddenly hit the "sliver of health" situation when he counterattacks and he ruins your whole day. And because he's a Midnight, you have to start the whole day over after playing through most of it. So his real effect is either to leave you no margin for error prior to his arrival, or to force you to deal with his tricks while killing him more slowly.

Keep all this analysis in mind when we arrive at the next few days and see what gets added to the White Ordeal challenges, and how those things might interact with each of these packages of badness.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The description only implies this, but the EGO weapon hits all targets in a line, just like the Der Freischutz's special bullet. That EGO weapons is perfect for attacking multiple ordeal targets in a single corridor, or shooting multiple allies in the back because you weren't careful when grouping up your agents. Mostly the latter.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I really love the visual design on the Pale Fixer.

All four of them are good, but after three spooky technopriest sort of figures the fact that the implicitly most dangerous one just looks like a guy is like an uncanny valley of spooky.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm sure there's a White Claw joke or two to be made here...

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I'm really sad TQ didn't take -37 for multiple reasons.

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I'm really sad TQ didn't take -37 for multiple reasons.

I'm alos sad that TQ didn't take -51. For mostly the same reasons.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Finally, it is time for BICEPS to face his destiny.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

golden bubble posted:

The description only implies this, but the EGO weapon hits all targets in a line, just like the Der Freischutz's special bullet. That EGO weapons is perfect for attacking multiple ordeal targets in a single corridor, or shooting multiple allies in the back because you weren't careful when grouping up your agents. Mostly the latter.

Yeah it's extremely nice for cleaning up amber ordeals, although after a point you probably have enough good weapons that it just becomes more of a general liability than anything else because you have to pay special attention to who is using it to make sure you don't accidentally send them in with the deathball.

Chaosbrain
Jun 13, 2013

Mad and loving it.
Just a little reminder for everyone. Look at the powers of the Claw, and realize that this is probably a lesser copy of a real one. Way back when Kali killed TWO of them, after/while beating up a facility full of Abnormalities, and still had the juice left to defeat/seriously wound the Arbiter Garion.

The Red Mist was NO JOKE.

Chaosbrain fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 29, 2021

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Forget anything to do with A or Fixers, I'm most excited for -awesome-.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
In my limited experience, Black Fixer does drop all QCs in the department to 0 if left alone too long.

Edit: see TQ's post below.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 30, 2021

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
I love how the Claws are basically just Eversor assassins from WH40k. Spooky helmet? Check. Big claw? Check. Big vials of combat drugs? Check. Randomly has a chance of being stunned? Check.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I'll get you next time, Gadget X! :argh:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

StillFullyTerrible posted:

I love how the Claws are basically just Eversor assassins from WH40k. Spooky helmet? Check. Big claw? Check. Big vials of combat drugs? Check. Randomly has a chance of being stunned? Check.

A was Trazyn all along!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Up until endgame, the probability of what rank of abnormality you'd get steadily weighted towards the higher ranks for each subsequent day. Now, though, the odds for each rank are equal, so it's easy and advisable to get very weak abnormalities in Architecture. This and the reduced clerk count (with the ability to still hit the max clerk bonus) are the only mercies you'll get for Kether suppression. If you're playing the game like me, there won't be anything left to research by the time you get here, either.

braybray
Feb 28, 2021
While we haven't seen Der Freischutz's EGO Weapon in action, I have a meme for you about everyone's first time using it. Spoilered for those of you who don't want to see, just in case.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
If you get Der Shooty early, the gun's actually nice so long as you remember never to include that employee in any deathballs. I got him early-enough game that dealing with Amber Dawns wasn't 'ignore the threat' trivial, so I just used his gun and/or his shot ability to clear out all the worms.

It was also early enough game that I indeed did shoot and kill several employees in the back.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Tenebrais posted:

I really love the visual design on the Pale Fixer.

All four of them are good, but after three spooky technopriest sort of figures the fact that the implicitly most dangerous one just looks like a guy is like an uncanny valley of spooky.

there's something deeply menacing about a dude in a nice suit with a long jacket, with a nice hat shading his eyes, holding a gun

it's the aesthetic that the whole "fedora and trenchcoat" brigade tries and fails to achieve

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why not Das Shoot

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
On day 46 I never really figured out the mechanics of the Claw, so I had a really bad time. After the first deathball confrontation ended poorly I switched to only using Rabbits on him, except they couldn't take him down quickly enough and he'd murder a bunch of my dudes with the teleport. One time the Rabbits did actually finish him off all on their own... except I'd already lost half the facility to a White Fixer's attack earlier, so I reset anyways. Then I figured that I could use Shelter to get rid of the mark... except somehow I got someone stuck inside the Shelter and he killed everyone attacking the three remaining marked people. Only when I finally realized that going into any containment unit worked did I actually manage to beat him, by using Rabbits, dodging the mark attack and then doing a big panic deathball to take off that last sliver of health.

In summary: screw the White Ordeals.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I was promised roasted marshmallows damnit. I've been robbed. :mad:

(these final days are gonna be nuts, huh?)

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
On a side note, it does make me curious as to how they hosed up the programming of weapons considering Der Shooty. His gift gives +10 attack speed and move speed, and gives his weapon a bonus for equipping it at the same time, implicitly encouraging you to combine the two. And yet, his weapon is unaffected by attack speed.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

Chaosbrain posted:

Just a little reminder for everyone. Look at the powers of the Claw, and realize that this is probably a lesser copy of a real one. Way back when Kali killed TWO of them, after/while beating up a facility full of Abnormalities, and still had the juice left to defeat/seriously wound the Arbiter Garion.

The Red Mist was NO JOKE.

Imagine the Red Mist if she'd had White Night's weapon and armor. If a regular agent could no-sell a cogito Fixer, Red Mist could likely no-sell actual Fixers.

Things would have been veeeery different if A had met White Night instead of X.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

OneWingedDevil posted:

Imagine the Red Mist if she'd had White Night's weapon and armor. If a regular agent could no-sell a cogito Fixer, Red Mist could likely no-sell actual Fixers.

Things would have been veeeery different if A had met White Night instead of X.
I'll make a note that these cogito Fixers are abnormally powerful with some absolutely absurd gear. Fixers are basically adventurers or, to use a more setting-appropriate term since this is a cyberpunk dystopia, Shadowrunners. Thus, they run the entire gamut of powerlevels. Bishop is a good example of an above-average but still run-of-the-mill Fixer (without putting EGO gear into the equation, of course). The Red Mist was a top tier Fixer. In DnD terms, if Bishop is level 5 and Kali is an epic level minmaxed character, I'd say these guys are around level 20. These guys are super elite to be able to take on an entire group of elite EGO-wielders and still put up a fight, but do remember that a flawed fascimile of both the Red Mist and An Arbiter were able to take on the entire facility and probably win.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 30, 2021

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I'm not entirely convinced that because they're cogito constructs these fixers and claws are actually inferior to the real things either.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I'm just wondering why the furniture if architecture is huge and if any of our agents will play around on the giant executive chair.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

WarpedLichen posted:

I'm just wondering why the furniture if architecture is huge and if any of our agents will play around on the giant executive chair.
Considering the cognition filter and the lack of commentary from the employees, I'm not sure it's real.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Eopia posted:

I'm not entirely convinced that because they're cogito constructs these fixers and claws are actually inferior to the real things either.

Yeah, likely these figments are every bit as powerful as the real deal. Probably stronger, actually, since their power is likely based on how they're perceived. The collective unconscious do be like that sometimes.

Materant fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Mar 30, 2021

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
Okay, let's talk about Black Fixer! After posting the update, some of my contacts in the LC discord got bored and decided to do some science to figure out how it works.

First we have Grim Xzag, who checked to see if Black Fixer affected the entire department. I've had to cut around some spoilers here, please disregard any black boxes as they represent [REDACTED]

Here we can see the Black Fixer performing its nuisance hammer attack in Laetitia's hallway. Above it is an Abnormality we haven't seen yet, which has a QC of 2.

A few moments later, and the attack has finished. Because Laetitia has no QC to reduce is a good girl who has done nothing wrong in her life, she didn't breach. However, this Abnormality who was in the same department did not have its QC reduced at all. From this we can conclude that the Black Fixer isn't department-wide, but instead tries to reduce only the QCs of the hallway it's in when it uses the move.

The next shot comes from u/Phoeshock, who had a Black Fixer use their ability in the middle of the Records team's corridor on a day where they were otherwise managing everything properly.

When used, it freed all three of the breachable Abnormalities at the same time. Since NT and Blue Star both have different QC counts of 1 and 2 respectively, this means that what the nuisance hammer does is actually reduce the QC of all Abnormalities within the same hallway to 0.

I'll be updating things accordingly. :ms:

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

TeeQueue posted:

When used, it freed all three of the breachable Abnormalities at the same time. Since NT and Blue Star both have different QC counts of 1 and 2 respectively, this means that what the nuisance hammer does is actually reduce the QC of all Abnormalities within the same hallway to 0.
Can confirm, it is exactly what happens:
code:
List<CreatureModel> list = new List<CreatureModel>(GetCreaturesInPassage());
foreach (CreatureModel item in list)
{
	item.SetQliphothCounter(0);
}

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
:allears:

If I haven't made it clear, MiiNiPaa, thank you very much for being willing and able to grab the code and see how things work. I'm not really much use in that area.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

Mechanics Talk 17: White Ordeals

For obvious reasons these can't go into the normal Ordeal post, so they'll get their own entry here.

Dawn: A Request

Selects one Fixer at random from the Red, White, and Black Fixers, and spawns it somewhere in the facility.

Arrival: From meaningless errands, to exploration, to contract killing; they will do whatever you wish, so long as you pay them sufficiently.
Defeat: They work in the Offices, Syndicates, and the Wings. Their tasks vary from banal things to something truly sublime.

Noon: Armaments

The two remaining Fixers of Red, White, and Black which were not selected during the Dawn are spawned somewhere in the facility.

Arrival: They search constantly, be it for the Backers of the Wings, the Inventions of the Backstreets, the Reliques of the Outskirts, the Artefacts of the Ruins…
Defeat: As they have always done, they will overcome all that impedes them, weapons in hand.

Dusk: The Fixers

Spawns one of each Fixer somewhere in the facility.

Arrival: The colossal tower of light was titled The Library. It is only natural for the Fixers to be drawn to such a mystic place of life and death.
Defeat: Bookhunters… One day they will rummage through The Library reigned over by the Pale Librarian. They are what shall become of the Fixers.

Fixer Stats

Midnight:The Claw

Arrival: To know and manipulate all the secrets of the world; that is the privilege of the Head, the Eye, and the Claws. It is their honor and absolute power.
Defeat: No one dares to stand against them. As long as they exist, the tale of the Nest will never reach its close.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

TeeQueue posted:

:allears:

If I haven't made it clear, MiiNiPaa, thank you very much for being willing and able to grab the code and see how things work. I'm not really much use in that area.

I find it very :lobcorp: for two separate people to go to the trouble of loading up an endgame save just to test this out, only for someone else to crack open the code and see exactly what it does.

Anyone else notice the Black Fixer's hammer looks like something from Big Bird?

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Also that is a dick hallway for the Black Fixer to trigger. Queen of Hatred, Blue Star, and Nothing There activating all at once? Sheesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiiNiPaa
Jan 19, 2020

In theory, Claw could be soloed. You just need to drop mark quickly (especially counterattack mark) and have good Red defence. Paradise Lost + KoD blessing would be enough to absorb almost every attack.

The main problem is getting to that part. Pale Fixer could be a problem, and Black Fixer is guaranteed to free a lot of Abnormalities. How do White Ordeals fare against Shelter?