Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
REMake 1 is 22 years old. Giving it a run through the moon engine is a fine idea and I'll feel very smart if RE1RR(RE1R^2?) is cited as a priority for Capcom to get people hype for RE5R since Wesker probably benefits as a remake antagonist significantly if RE1 or CV get an update. Without any context he's the guy who was sus in the post-credits of RE4R and then stomps on stage without introduction for RE5R.

Yes I know Wesker is super popular and cultural osmosis and blah blah blah, he's in Dead by Daylight and Marvel vs Capcom. It's still just a thing to maintain that recognizability, especially when you have a literal generation of new audience to think about.

Maybe they could put the entirety of REMake 1 in as a prologue for RE5R, lol.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've never felt older than right now, when it's being suggested that RE1 be remade again to remind people about who Wesker is. It feels like yesterday that I'm playing RE5 co-op and I'm laughing with my buds over Matrix Wesker. 7 MINUTES

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm going to be vaguely annoyed if it turns out the new game plan for the remakes is to create a timeline in which Wesker could've feasibly survived RE5 so they can bring him back for a new game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's not like they didn't already bring back him and Ada without explanation before. It would be lame for them to go back to the Wesker well though, he's fun but trying to make him this master villain with all the cards has always been silly.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Doomykins posted:

Maybe they could put the entirety of REMake 1 in as a prologue for RE5R, lol.

Honestly, I could see having a chapter of a mini-RE1 as the prologue of RE5 working really well for a remake. (Hell, they sort of did a mini-RE1 as RE5 DLC already.)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wanderer posted:

a timeline in which Wesker could've feasibly survived RE5

But that's just the RE5 timeline!

Electromax
May 6, 2007
RE5 remake opens with a flashback where you play as Wesker when Chris makes fun of his sunglasses during a training mission and he Turns Evil at last.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
Doesn’t the ending of RE4 remake SPECIFICALLY suggest that in this timeline they are not doing Re5 and 6.

Wesker contacts Ada when to expect the samples and gets all Re5-y about using the las plagas to destroy the world and Ada makes the decision not to give them to him and even says something like “we certainly won’t be doing that THIs TIME!” And turns the copter around to go in a different direction

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

But then right on the screen of that very cutscene is a picture of Excella.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

90sgamer posted:

Doesn’t the ending of RE4 remake SPECIFICALLY suggest that in this timeline they are not doing Re5 and 6.

Wesker contacts Ada when to expect the samples and gets all Re5-y about using the las plagas to destroy the world and Ada makes the decision not to give them to him and even says something like “we certainly won’t be doing that THIs TIME!”

Ada didn't give Wesker the Plagas sample in the OG timeline either, she gave him a fake or something because she was actually working for someone else, and RE4MAKe shows that he's gotten a sample from IIRC Krausers body, so RE5 is still pretty much schedule

I really don't get why people keep trying to convince themselves that 5&6 aren't going to be canon anymore, those are among the best selling games and the movies keep referring to them, it's not something they are embarrassed about and are trying to get rid of.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
We were so concerned with asking "Where's Barry?" none of us were asking "How's Barry?" it will be good to see him back again :)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

I'm going to be vaguely annoyed if it turns out the new game plan for the remakes is to create a timeline in which Wesker could've feasibly survived RE5 so they can bring him back for a new game.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

January 6 Survivor posted:

Speaking of weapon damage in RE2 remake I'm mostly surprised a licker can tank a .50AE to the forehead in hardcore. Yeah even with the aiming reticle all focussed in. And the long barrel.

I don't think I've ever gotten a single crit-headshot on a zombie with Claire's semi-auto pistol. You'd think the laser sight would be more effective.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Hel posted:

Ada didn't give Wesker the Plagas sample in the OG timeline either, she gave him a fake or something because she was actually working for someone else, and RE4MAKe shows that he's gotten a sample from IIRC Krausers body, so RE5 is still pretty much schedule

I really don't get why people keep trying to convince themselves that 5&6 aren't going to be canon anymore, those are among the best selling games and the movies keep referring to them, it's not something they are embarrassed about and are trying to get rid of.

Resident Evil always followed hot horror trends and the cool thing to do now is to ignore bad sequels (see Halloween, Alien, etc.)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

RE5 and 6 are bad... in certain ways. RE7 is often seen as redeeming the franchise but 5 and 6 had great sales. Rather it was felt that RE had gotten far too bombastic and shifting the stakes from mass cloning and worldwide outbreaks with the threatened collapse of nations and heads of state dying back to weird poo poo in a big house was seen as a good move. I'm fully aware that the overton window on over the top in RE is itself bombastic by default.

Of course this means Capcom stopped short of the true endgame: zombies in space. I think the direction of RE9 is obvious. :smug:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I still argue that they should maintain the precedent of only moving the series entries forwards in time. In light of the Shadows of Rose DLC, RE9 needs to be set in the 2030s, easily allowing space travel and space zombies to exist.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

90sgamer posted:

Resident Evil always followed hot horror trends and the cool thing to do now is to ignore bad sequels (see Halloween, Alien, etc.)

Sure, but we are talking about 5 & 6, not 7 & 8.

Doomykins posted:

Of course this means Capcom stopped short of the true endgame: zombies in space. I think the direction of RE9 is obvious. :smug:
Finally time to flip the direction of inspiration and have Resident Evil copy Dino Crisis 3.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Hel posted:

Sure, but we are talking about 5 & 6, not 7 & 8.

Finally time to flip the direction of inspiration and have Resident Evil copy Dino Crisis 3.

Bro what. 7 &8 do loving circles around 5 &6. 7 literally saved the series

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

90sgamer posted:

No argument here that they’re better games, but 5 and 6 also sold gangbusters and there’s a fair bit of positive nostalgia for 5 to this day.

I agree that 7 kicked the series back into proper gear after it was apparent that 6 was too all over the place for its own good regardless of sales.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

RE6 sold ok and received middling scores. The franchise would have been ok no matter what direction they took it.

Famitsu gave it a 39/40 somehow. I like the game but come on lmao

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Personally, I felt like I was done with RE after 6 came out if it kept in that direction, Operation Raccoon City, Umbrella Corps. I remember reading reviews of the first Revelations that were like "it's a throwback to the old games!" and it wasn't really at all, same with the RE5 Jill and Chris DLC. The bar was just that low that it sometimes had a key you had to get. Definitely did not expect RE7 to take such a big swing, but it got me back on board and RE7-8-2-3-4 have been a string of delight.

They've earned another big swing from me, and if they want to do space station or underwater base or island oil refinery full of mercenaries again, sure go for it. I won't say no to any of 9 or "9!!!" or 1-5-CV remakes if they can keep the quality this high.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

RE6 sold great but it didn't sell Call of Duty numbers so it was considered a financial failure

They wanted like 5 or 6 million copies and only sold like 2 or 3? Something like that there is an article floating around somewhere about it

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

90sgamer posted:

Nah Five is amazing, a flash in the pan type of game like 7 was for first person horror 5 was for co-op gaming

The Shame Boy posted:

RE6 sold great but it didn't sell Call of Duty numbers so it was considered a financial failure

They wanted like 5 or 6 million copies and only sold like 2 or 3? Something like that there is an article floating around somewhere about it

The issue with six was it damaged the brand despite selling incredibly well, like I think it's still the highest selling of the series

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

man nurse posted:

No argument here that they’re better games, but 5 and 6 also sold gangbusters and there’s a fair bit of positive nostalgia for 5 to this day.

I agree that 7 kicked the series back into proper gear after it was apparent that 6 was too all over the place for its own good regardless of sales.

Odd to call it kicking it back in to proper gear, when 7 & 8 are nothing like what came before or after. And what came after just being remakes of earlier games, which isn't what I'd call proper gear either. As an experiment 7 was fine, but it became stagnant with 8 and I'm really glad they seem to be moving away from that. 8 also bringing up some new secret origin for umbrella was pretty bad, One of the best things RE did was killing them off, instead of just being tied to the same endless battle forever.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Hel posted:

Odd to call it kicking it back in to proper gear, when 7 & 8 are nothing like what came before or after. And what came after just being remakes of earlier games, which isn't what I'd call proper gear either. As an experiment 7 was fine, but it became stagnant with 8 and I'm really glad they seem to be moving away from that. 8 also bringing up some new secret origin for umbrella was pretty bad, One of the best things RE did was killing them off, instead of just being tied to the same endless battle forever.

7 is pretty straight up classic flavor RE in first person. Certainly the closest it ever was since before 4.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Kind of a random question but in OG RE4, which would net you more money, buying and upgrading guns then selling them back "at a high price" or just not buying certain guns at all and saving the money?

I would think it's demonstrably the latter but I'm not really a pro player. That's why I'm asking, actually. I was thinking I'd try to do a game where I stick with "initial equipment" or found weapons only. I was wondering if that kind of run would leave me flush with cash for upgrades to those guns.

Not worth buying guns in order to sell them back just for the money, but it is worth selling them when u feel like u found a standout replacement, also sell the punisher if you're not gonna use it

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

90sgamer posted:

Wesker contacts Ada when to expect the samples and gets all Re5-y about using the las plagas to destroy the world and Ada makes the decision not to give them to him and even says something like “we certainly won’t be doing that THIs TIME!” And turns the copter around to go in a different direction

It's less obliquely put this time out, but that's also what she did in the original RE4:SW. Wesker didn't get a master Plaga because of Ada, which is why the Majini in RE5 are essentially a set-and-forget bioweapon and not his personal mind-controlled shock troops.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I remember enjoying RE5 when it came out but played it recently and didn't like it at all. RE6 I played for maybe 5 to 10 hours and just noped out on it. Totally onboard with a RE1 version with the new engine and some layout/enemy/item changes to add some surprise.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Ah, it's going to be so nice to explore the Police Station without goddamn Mr. X constantly riding my rear end. If there was a low point in RE2R, it's that section.

The Killer Dynamo
May 31, 2011

Gonna have a good time tonight
I wouldn't be surprised if they do rewrites to maintain Wesker as the series villain. They haven't had any decent villains anywhere near his level since they exploded him in that volcano, and he's still so memetically popular it seems like an obvious crowdpleaser.

For my money Glenn Arias from Vendetta was the closest to pulling off Wesker's goofy Saturday morning cartoon big bad act, I thought that guy was hilarious. But Diet Wesker Simmons? Barf.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
If they bring wesker back he should go back to being a double agent working for big pharm or running his own agency. The whole supervillian bent on global domination that they did in re5 is loving dumb and too anime

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wesker is a dumb anime character. Remove that and there's nothing left.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

90sgamer posted:

If they bring wesker back he should go back to being a double agent working for big pharm or running his own agency. The whole supervillian bent on global domination that they did in re5 is loving dumb and too anime

RE always was anime tho lol

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

quote:

The whole supervillian bent on global domination that they did in re5 is loving dumb and too anime

quote:

Wesker is a dumb anime character. Remove that and there's nothing left.

quote:

Wesker, you're pitiful!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Weskers plan in RE5 was a big kneejerk reaction to Spencer telling him that he wasn't actually a real rogue agent but had been Just As Planned by Spencer for his entire life to push monster virus/drugs to an even higher level of research. Then finishing by saying Spencer actually considered him a failure because he never managed to make a proper shiny golden god virus before Spencer was on his deathbed.

It's gloriously dumb and anime.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Anonymous Robot posted:

Honestly, I could see having a chapter of a mini-RE1 as the prologue of RE5 working really well for a remake. (Hell, they sort of did a mini-RE1 as RE5 DLC already.)
To not so blatantly step on the toes of the eventual ReREmake, the mini-RE1 should be a tutorial where Wesker is an unreliable narrator explaining how cool he was in RE1. This explains Wesker as a character, as well as the dynamic between him, Chris, and Jill.

The Killer Dynamo
May 31, 2011

Gonna have a good time tonight
Maybe this time they'll give Wesker any reason at all to hate Chris so much (and not accidentally retcon it out of existence with "oh wait no he planned that.")

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chris told everyone that Wesker was keeping pictures of Rebecca in his desk.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Hel posted:

Precisely. Capcom respects their legacy more than people give them credit for. They're not Konami* after all :haw: I mean poo poo, look at the knots they've twisted themselves into to keep Street Fighter's canon neat and tidy. EX is canon!

That having been said, all the CG movies happen after 4 and touching anything after that would have a high chance of loving up the timeline.

*I'm of the minority opinion that Konami finally realized the damage they were doing to their legacy and are at least attempting to fix it, but since they ran off all the devs of their legacy games and so have to outsource everything, it's been extremely slow going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023

Evil Kit posted:

Not in the original. He was more like Burke from Aliens or Lewis Dodson from Jurassic Park