Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The technological progression or lack thereof of the IS (and Comstar, and Clans) makes literally no sense so Zaodai isn't wrong but at the same time, you have to disassemble everything and start over and at that point you aren't in BT anymore.

It's basically the same as my continued and perpetual complaints about combined arms and robots with vulnerable knees and artillery. You just gotta go with it.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Psion posted:

The technological progression or lack thereof of the IS (and Comstar, and Clans) makes literally no sense so Zaodai isn't wrong but at the same time, you have to disassemble everything and start over and at that point you aren't in BT anymore.

It's basically the same as my continued and perpetual complaints about combined arms and robots with vulnerable knees and artillery. You just gotta go with it.

:shrug:

Oh, I know. I acknowledge this on a "gameplay and story segregation" level. Ultimately, that is really my point. Comstar aren't particularly competent, even for the role they fill. They're just the designated boogeyman of the setting. That works fine for me, because I'm mostly here for the stompy robots and the interesting story PTN is writing. It's the space 80s, you just have to roll with it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Zaodai posted:

Comstar aren't particularly competent, even for the role they fill.

Well, they're Space AT&T so uh...in a sense this is the most realistic writing of them all? :v:

But yeah. They're not. BT writers wanted forward progress in terms of time without forward progress in terms of tech, it feels like, so they did what they did to handwave things not advancing in a logical fashion. Even for the Space 80s.

It makes me wish they'd spent a lot more time in the pre-3050 timeframe, but that's with the benefit of hindsight.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

The technicians are essentially monks, so I imagine a fair number of them would just shrug and say "Welp, it's Blake's Will that I not get a paycheck this week. Oh well!"

Or they get super bummed that they get no booze this week.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Monks brew their own.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

goatface posted:

Monks brew their own.

This is actually where distilled liquor came from, especially brandy. They were taxed by the barrel, so they crammed it down into fewer barrels.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
This battle is going to be brutal. I'm going to be pretty surprised if it lasts to 15 turns.

I expect it'll last about ten.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

How in the hell didn't you guys vote for the Clans? I leave for a week or so and this happens...

Oh well, at least this looks like it is going to be entertaining!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

PoptartsNinja posted:

This battle is going to be brutal. I'm going to be pretty surprised if it lasts to 15 turns.

*Achievement: Adriaaaaaan! (Last 15 rounds)

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

This is particularly menacing in light of your dice's appreciation for blood.

e: how many players are you going to need? Just... curious.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Baudin posted:

e: how many players are you going to need? Just... curious.

Ten.

Edit: And here's the five I'm willing to spoil:

The Rampage is the one that needed a major sprite overhaul.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 17, 2015

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ten.

Edit: And here's the five I'm willing to spoil:

The Rampage is the one that needed a major sprite overhaul.

Ohhh, some nice mechs there.

Are their G/P values on a relative scale? I remember reading you mentioning that they are adjusted to be relative to each other for one of the missions.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Oh good golly, the weapon loud-outs on those mechs sure is something, this is going to be fun one that's for sure. :allears:

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
So they decided to put the acolyte into a gallowglas? Nice of them. The design flaw on that right arm of the Grand Titan is pretty nasty, but it's got so many pulse lasers. Dear god that's an impressive mech, I can't wait to see which one of us gets Carlos headshot turn 3 or so.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
If Carlos Marik gets killed after all our hard work keeping him safe and earning him that sweet new ride I shall be very cross with someone. :colbert:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

After all the losses the Cappellans have taken in this campaign, I would wager Carlos will be doing the killing. Especially in that murderous van of free candy he's driving.

Should be a good fight, I'm looking forward to this mission. Also curious to see how many of the experimental mechs show up, given that they'd be walking into a knife fight. If they walk into here, they're not going to have free reign to walk away if they start taking a few hits or their armor gets shredded. It's shank or be shanked.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Cool, looks like I might be up for this next one. If so, I promise to deploy the justice foot should an appropriate situation arise.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006
Wow. This should be a bloodbath. Those are nasty mechs.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Do not get Carlos killed. That would be very very sad. Good luck, Goonlance.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

Artificer posted:

Do not get Carlos killed. That would be very very sad. Good luck, Goonlance.

But imagine the glory of going out in combat against the legends of ChineseCapellan myth!

Or he gets head capped by a Gauss Urbie.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

LeadSled posted:

Personally I'm betting on another Helios situation.

"Alright, we beat the Capellan Power Rangers! Good job team, now let's head to the evac point and..." :slips on asphalt, caves in head:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

If Carlos Marik gets killed after all our hard work keeping him safe and earning him that sweet new ride I shall be very cross with someone. :colbert:

What he said.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

"Oh hey, those look cool, these missions are all looking pretty awesome, I wonder how far up the list I've gotte-"

PoptartsNinja posted:

(29 Names)
Cimbri

"...Oh, right, duh"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If that Rampage doesn't MASC charge the poo poo out of someone I'm gonna be really disappointed.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Cimbri posted:

"Oh hey, those look cool, these missions are all looking pretty awesome, I wonder how far up the list I've gotte-"

"...Oh, right, duh"

Well, at least 1/3 of that list is dropping in this round.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

LeadSled posted:

But imagine the glory of going out in combat against the legends of ChineseCapellan myth!

Imagine the glory of defying historical patterns and helping the FWL not be terrible fuckups!

Imagine Carlos Marik, hardened by battle, respected by his soldiers, friendly with ComStar, comrades-in-arms with the Red Corsair's Band and potentially the Duchy of Skye, leading the Free Worlds League into a new golden age of not-being-the-stupidest-stupids-who-ever-stupided!

That's way cooler than dying heroically. It's also almost certainly wishful thinking on my part but my point stands - if you want to see glory, you keep Carlos breathing.

:colbert:

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010
Part of me hopes Carlos has a point of Edge, like we've seen sometimes on PCs. The rest of me is perfectly fine to let The Dice do whatever they will to the canon.

There would be a nice symmetry - given that the players recently had to hold a massively fortified position against far superior forces - if the players now had to take some superior forces and break through a massively fortified position. This is, after all, a "rescue" mission.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Imagine the glory of defying historical patterns and helping the FWL not be terrible fuckups!

Imagine Carlos Marik, hardened by battle, respected by his soldiers, friendly with ComStar, comrades-in-arms with the Red Corsair's Band and potentially the Duchy of Skye, leading the Free Worlds League into a new golden age of not-being-the-stupidest-stupids-who-ever-stupided!

You're right, he has to die.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm wondering if it's just going to be the Capellan Power Rangers, or if they're going to bring some kind of backup.

Like their dropship :unsmigghh:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Endomorphic posted:

There would be a nice symmetry - given that the players recently had to hold a massively fortified position against far superior forces - if the players now had to take some superior forces and break through a massively fortified position. This is, after all, a "rescue" mission.

This has a pretty high chance of happening: seizing or destroying the Cappellan government's planetary palace, or space port, or something like that. The other big possibility is that Carlos will be under attack when Red finally reaches him, so Red will have to break through enemy lines to reach him while Carlos and his men hold out.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Endomorphic posted:

Part of me hopes Carlos has a point of Edge, like we've seen sometimes on PCs. The rest of me is perfectly fine to let The Dice do whatever they will to the canon.

He's welcome to have the point I never used in the last scenario. But I suspect Kernoff used it when the nuke went off and will return as a radioactive mutant in a later political vote.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Endomorphic posted:

I think PTN said from now on all players get a point of Edge to prevent the whole "Finally, after waiting X years, it's my turn to-" *headcapped turn 1* thing from happening. Or something like that anyway.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I hope you haven't forgotten that PTN was the one who did the Let's Watch a horrible horrible mess Gundam AGE a horrible horrible mess in the previous gundam megathread.

Link?

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nothing so severe. The penalty comes to any `Mech standing on a hex above height 0. One player has the ability to negate this penalty.

This is going to be one of those "fly through the canyon or the missiles will shoot you down" missions from Ace Combat, isn't it

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 17, 2015

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Whether or not they have edge is left a mystery. If one does, they all do (probably) but I won't reveal whether or not edge is in use until something happens that might force a reroll. People play way differently when they know they've got a safety net, and sometimes the plot doesn't protect special characters from biting the dust.

The Casualty posted:

This is going to be one of those "fly through the canyon or the missiles will shoot you down" missions from Ace Combat, isn't it

Nothing so severe. It's mostly a way to encourage people to get in and brawl.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

Nothing so severe. It's mostly a way to encourage people to get in and brawl.

Excellent. :getin:

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
Those rear small pulses will surely come in handy then!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nice radioactive fallout to gently caress with your targeting at range? Bypassed by... comstar neural linkages providing enough biological processing to overcome the fuzzies?

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
PTN, Please add me to the pilot list. I will have PMs by the end of the year.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

The Casualty posted:

Canyon flying missions weren't so bad, but but tunnel ones were worse... And then Ace Combat Zero had to combine the two in the next to last mission (before you fight Pixy in his bullshit superplane), but the former wasn't so bad compared to the latter... Goddamn narrow rear end tunnel walls making me misjudge where my plane is compared to the tunnels when trying to destroy the V2 control systems in Avalon Dam! Kept having to redo that part after crashing into a tunnel wall repeatedly, but the canyon part was a piece of cake.

Anyway, as for these mechs, they seem like a beefy lot with powerful weapons. Which means that we'll be having either a commensurate level of enemy mechs with powerful loadouts as well (the Capellan Legendary Beast squad along with the Heroes of the Three Kingdoms) from Project Phoenix, or a swarm of less powerful mechs designed to overwhelm from the Prefectural Guard, like it didn't work out for them this past mission against ComStar. Most likely the former, what with the number of casualties the latter has taken in these previous two missions, not to mention ComStar's spite nuke going off at the end of the last one

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

GhostStalker posted:

Canyon flying missions were so bad, but not as bad as tunnel ones... And then Ace Combat Zero had to combine the two in the next to last mission (before you fight Pixy in his bullshit superplane), but the former wasn't so bad compared to the latter... Goddamn narrow rear end tunnel walls making me misjudge where my plane is compared to the tunnels when trying to destroy the V2 control systems in Avalon Dam! Kept having to redo that part after crashing into a tunnel wall repeatedly, but the canyon part was a piece of cake.

Anyway, as for these mechs, they seem like a beefy lot with powerful weapons. Which means that we'll be having either a commensurate level of enemy mechs with powerful loadouts as well (the Capellan Legendary Beast squad along with the Heroes of the Three Kingdoms) from Project Phoenix, or a swarm of less powerful mechs designed to overwhelm from the Prefectural Guard, like it didn't work out for them this past mission against ComStar. Most likely the former, what with the number of casualties the latter has taken in these previous two missions, not to mention ComStar's spite nuke going off at the end of the last one

Bad for you, perhaps. I always found them fun because if you pulled them off, you felt like a badass. Of course, most of the time you were making a Jek Porkins-shaped stain on the wall, but that just made the payoff sweeter.

• Locked thread